Convert RockNRoller Coaster to Star Wars? I think it's a good idea

lebeau

I'll say it: the popularity of Star Wars will never die out. Easy and true.

In fact, I'd be very comfortable saying that Star Wars is only going to grow in popularity.

While I don't think it will ever die out, I don't see how it can become much bigger than it currently is. Once Disney floods the market, Star Wars movies will cease to be record breaking events.

Seabasealpha1

First off,the placement of the ride is totally off...and the proximity to ToT is also a big issue...

Second, I'd rather see multiple rock bands represented on the attraction than to see more Star Wars added to a park that is about to become MAJORLY lopsided in terms of IP weight. This regime of leadership seems a little too content to bleed to death franchises to make their theme park experiences. If they do this Star Wars thing in excessive amounts, people are gonna burn out...myself included. There is a concept out there called "too much of a good thing" and it's an old annoying notion that resembles the Lorax...and it is absolutely true.

The real tester, to me, is what are they doing with the park as a whole? Are they going to be able to tie in the remaining old parts with the new? Time will tell...

I would veto the crap out of this idea...

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I like the RnR coaster theme. It is really unique for the property. There will be plenty of SW around the rest of the theme park. For me, any re-theme would involve all of Sunset Blvd. Step A is removing Beauty and the Beast for a Nightmare before Christmas dark ride. Step B is re-themeing RnR to the Disney classic, Phantom of the Megaplex (the soft re-boot of Phantom of the Opera and arguably the greatest cinematic experience in history). Then you'd have a whole land given over to spooky properties. I'd also change the name of Sunset Blvd to something subtle like Disembowelment Courtyard.

AEfx

Considering how amazingly awesome Space Mountain's SW theme is over at Disneyland, I would love this and think it would be epic.

Launchpad McQuack

I love RnRC AND Star Wars, but I don't want them to be combined. I wouldn't be against a retheme in the future, but it needs to wait until after Star Wars and Toy Story are done.

However, NEVER retheme Tower of Terror. It is perfect the way it is.

lebeau

badidea.jpg

Phineas

I'm really hoping that if they re-theme the ride, they go with a Guardians of the Galaxy theme-It's one of the few Marvel licenses they're able to use, and IMO it'd be a great fit. The whole ride could be themed around the prison escape sequence from the movie, with a pre-show showing our captured heroes in the prison line up.
Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-First-Official-Photo-HIGH-RES.jpg

followed by the whole "We're breaking out, and taking them (you, the park guest) with us!" plot device.

Exit into a conveniently-placed Groot M&G and gift shop, and you're set.

Texas84

Maybe that area will be close to Phase III Monsters Inc. Both attractions could be rethemed to 'scream' collectors.

Yes, I know Phase III is not a thing. Just a thought.

JohnD

Nice idea but I don't think it will happen. SW will have it's own area when complete. SW Launch Bay will close and become something else when SW Land opens so the idea of re-routing the queue through it to RnRC wouldn't work anyway. The whole concept is a limousine through Hollywood which fits the theme of Sunset Blvd.

raymusiccity

Nice idea but I don't think it will happen. SW will have it's own area when complete. SW Launch Bay will close and become something else when SW Land opens so the idea of re-routing the queue through it to RnRC wouldn't work anyway. The whole concept is a limousine through Hollywood which fits the theme of Sunset Blvd.

If you're going to retheme the ride towards something more like Star Wars, but you're worried about clashing with Sunset Blvd......a great compromise would be 'The Rocketeer'!

Retro look with jet packs, fighter planes and dirigibles! :)
image.jpeg

Launchpad McQuack

If you're going to retheme the ride towards something more like Star Wars, but you're worried about clashing with Sunset Blvd......a great compromise would be 'The Rocketeer'!

Retro look with jet packs, fighter planes and dirigibles! :)
View attachment 132356

Fantastic. Although this would need to be a huge overhaul so you can hang from your rocket pack instead of sitting. Once Toy Story and Star Wars open, I would actually be 100% on board for this, even though I love RnRC. Does Disney still have any rights to The Rocketeer, though (outside of the original film)?

doctornick

I'm really hoping that if they re-theme the ride, they go with a Guardians of the Galaxy theme-It's one of the few Marvel licenses they're able to use, and IMO it'd be a great fit. The whole ride could be themed around the prison escape sequence from the movie, with a pre-show showing our captured heroes in the prison line up.

followed by the whole "We're breaking out, and taking them (you, the park guest) with us!" plot device.

Sounds good to me. And the area around the ride could then be re-themed to a separate land (doesn't fit in with Sunset Blvd anyway), maybe with an "action" or "hero" type theme which would allow for some flexibility to add other properties (e.g. Big Hero 6, Incredibles, Indiana Jones)

Marc Davis Fan

I wouldn't mind a temporary Star Wars overlay for Season of the Force, but the location would indeed be a bit awkward (and detract from ToT).

Obviously a permanent change would conflict with (dilute the impact of) the Star Wars land.

In the long run, I hope RnRC can be made into something more immersive. They can do a lot better than the cartoonish representations of LA-area monuments, while keeping with the LA/Hollywood theme (especially so as not to ditract from the parks crown jewel, ToT). Interesting ideas so far on the thread.

jensenrick

Now there is an idea I like!

Not necessarily a good idea, but one I like just the same.

CastleBound

Some awesome ideas here.... Guardians would be awesome, but wouldn't really fit the theme of that section of the park. I absolutely love the Rocketeer idea. That is absolutely an IP that they are not utilizing. I know the film didn't do well, but it has more of a cult following now, plus all the awesome comics that have been released. I could see them turning the property into a real cornerstone. Iron Man did pretty well for himself, so what makes The Rocketeer any different?

But if we are to stay with another musical act, you might as well go with Randy Newman. :)

roj2323

Why won't this thread just die already? Star wars Is and will continue to be on the other side of the park. It makes 0 sense to retheme Rockin rollercoaster to Starwars.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom