Conversations disrupting attractions

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
The question isn't "Are rude guests a new phenomenon?", though you seem bent on making it that.

What I'm saying is that post-pandemic, the probability of encountering someone being loud and talking constantly on non-thrill attractions & non-interactive shows seems to be greater than ever. I was curious if anyone else had noticed the uptick. It would seem they have based on the responses.

I'm not saying there weren't loud talkers before 5 years ago. I'm also not saying there weren't rude people before 5 years ago. I'm saying this seems to be a growing, but not new, way people are rude in attractions.
In my experience, I have always met a relatively same number of rude park guests in the past decade or so.

erasure fan1

In my experience, I have always met a relatively same number of rude park guests in the past decade or so.
In my opinion it really kicked in when the smartphone became the basic cellphone that everyone used. That was around 13yrs ago. While dill holes were plentiful back in the 80s and 90s, that was nothing compared to now. The reliance on smartphones hasn't helped either. Since Disney implemented the need to use the smartphone for just about everything. The constant stopping in the middle of walkways to check the app, or blocking ride entrances trying to check their time or see if they can book it. Not paying attention to where they are going while trying to order lunch. Using phones on dark rides to check availability... It's a complete mess of people who are so self involved that they are oblivious to anyone around them. I would also say that the massive costs now, amplify the I'm the only one who matters attitude.

Poseidon Quest

Made my first trip to DLR 2 weekends ago since 2012 (Wow, is it remarkable how much more i like it there). I think the median park guest in southern california is less insane and obnoxious than the median Florida guest.

As a passholder to both DLR and WDW, that's another reason that I very much prefer DLR. The first time I went in 2018, I was really surprised by how different the behavior was. Yeah, you're always going to have your obnoxious people who do stupid things, but it is far less frequent in California than it is Florida.

I'm not a parent, but I can certainly observe the discrepancies in how children act between both resorts. I was in Chicken Guy a few years ago and witnessed a young child standing on a table screaming, while all 5 adults sitting around her were nose deep in their phones. I went to California Grill the other night and there was a table right next to us with children running all over the place, throwing balls around the restaurant and climbing under other people's tables. One of the kids even stole one of the candle holders on their way out and the waitstaff were clearly very relieved that the party left.

But in Disneyland? I saw a child have a melt down and it was remarkably quiet. People just attend to their kids and raise them better there. The kind of people who travel to WDW are unfortunately often some of the worst that society has to offer. I went to Magic Kingdom the other day and experienced rampant, blatant line cutting and plenty of children who were completely unattended, running through queues and bumping into people. I even had an experience a few years ago with a small child that tried taking things out of my pockets, who's mother looked on adoringly and said something to the effect of "Aww, how cute!", until the look I gave made her feel otherwise.

mergatroid

We once had the whole shebang at once: seated in the middle of the boat with our fifteen-year-old daughter, with a man in front of us who held up his camera up in front of our faces to take non-stop videos and flash photos for the entire ride, and two adult men behind us, loudly discussing explicit details of their [alleged] sex lives, beside a lady who we'd initially assumed was the partner of the older man, but seemed strangely unperturbed by their expletive-drenched descriptions of exploits with various other women.

I think the photo says it all! If you've ever wondered what it looks like, the instant that all hope in humanity fades from someone's eyes and they can no longer see anything ahead of them but an endless vortex of disappointment and despair, just look at my face. 🤣😩

View attachment 765179

I was once in a cubicle in the restrooms in Epcot and could hear the guy in the next cubicle on the phone to somebody. Romeo was talking to somebody and telling them in graphic detail what he was planning to do to them later on that evening. Whilst I wasn't offended (I'm a man of the world), it was raising questions in my head about the practicalities and comfortableness of the things he was describing. The most disturbing moment came though when I (and the lucky recipient on the other end of the phone) were treated to the sound of 'Romeo' depositing what he was doing into the toilet. The toilet noises were loud and easily heard followed by him saying "Wear the outfit in black I bought you the other week, later"

A little part of me died that sunny afternoon my friends and those noises and mental images still haunt me to this day.

gitchard

I think it is worse now because the last couple of generations have been taught that they are all special. Also, manners and courteousness to others is also not taught to kids as much. This has led to mentality that what I am doing is the only thing that matters.

This has led to some of them being oblivious to others. Once heard someone refer to the as obliviants do to their interest in what they are doing while being oblivious to everyone around them or how they are affecting others around them.

MickeyLuv'r

In my opinion it really kicked in when the smartphone became the basic cellphone that everyone used. That was around 13yrs ago. While dill holes were plentiful back in the 80s and 90s, that was nothing compared to now. The reliance on smartphones hasn't helped either. Since Disney implemented the need to use the smartphone for just about everything. The constant stopping in the middle of walkways to check the app, or blocking ride entrances trying to check their time or see if they can book it. Not paying attention to where they are going while trying to order lunch. Using phones on dark rides to check availability... It's a complete mess of people who are so self involved that they are oblivious to anyone around them. I would also say that the massive costs now, amplify the I'm the only one who matters attitude.
Yes, but I would not put all the blame on parkgoers for multitasking. As you said, Disney implemented using smartphones for things like booking G+ and meals. There's a trade-off.

Though stopping randomly in the walkway is nothing new. In the old days, these folks often held up a paper map as they stopped (in the least convenient spot) to discuss where they wanted to go next.

At ride entrances, they blocked the FP while they first FOUND their paper FP, before they could check the time.

At quick serve locations, they waited until they were at the cashier stand before they STARTED to look at the posted menu/discuss choices with their children, and until they were done ordering before they started locating their wallet/KTTW card.

Most people seem to be able to find their smartphone, so that's some improvement. :)

tissandtully

I think it is worse now because the last couple of generations have been taught that they are all special. Also, manners and courteousness to others is also not taught to kids as much. This has led to mentality that what I am doing is the only thing that matters.

This has led to some of them being oblivious to others. Once heard someone refer to the as obliviants do to their interest in what they are doing while being oblivious to everyone around them or how they are affecting others around them.
This is such a boomer myth it hurts.

Horizonsfan

Original Poster
Oh sorry that I'm having fun?
If your party is alone or on a thrill ride or interactive show, there’s nothing to worry about.

If those things aren't true, but you are loudly talking by quoting dialogue, shouting out your own description of what’s going on, or otherwise not keeping your voice to a quiet/considerate level, yeah you should be sorry.

You’re being a jerk to everyone not in your party. It may not be intentional, but it’s still rude.

ppete1975

I’m always amazed how many people use speakerphone in public, do they not realize how phones work and that they can just hold it up to their ear and keep their conversation private?
Its easier for them not to put it to their ear or purchase bluetooth. Who cares that they are yelling and have their volume cranked all the way up. That is one of the things that people do in public now that really bothers me, and unlike alot of bad behavior actually does affect other people.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I'll agree with that. I'm 25 and that's the only generation I grew up with. Which is basically a lifetime for me.

But saying it started getting worse after COVID is ridiculous. It's been bad for a while.

tissandtully

If your party is alone or on a thrill ride or interactive show, there’s nothing to worry about.

If those things aren't true, but you are loudly talking by quoting dialogue, shouting out your own description of what’s going on, or otherwise not keeping your voice to a quiet/considerate level, yeah you should be sorry.

You’re being a jerk to everyone not in your party. It may not be intentional, but it’s still rude.
Not what I was talking about, the OP was mad at "overzealous excitement" lol

Horizonsfan

Original Poster
It just sounded like rude people not overzealous excitement, it was a weird thing to include in your complaining.
It’s really not that complicated.

I said the loud talking can come from different groups. One of those groups are people who you might call overenthusiastic, if you want to give them the benefit of the doubt, leading them to be loud in the attraction in the ways I posted earlier.

BuddyThomas

What does this prove about it being worse? You have examples of it happening before and I never said it didn't. It's a lot worse now. Think what you want.
Just repeating the same talking point over and over does not make it true. What you are expressing is an opinion, not a fact.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom