Conversations disrupting attractions

Vinnie Mac

Agreed. In my experience, the people being inconsiderate have been camera/cellphone free.

People can have their quibbles with vloggers, but they don’t seem like the reason for this annoyance multiplying.
If anything the vloggers/streams are annoyed with loud talkers as well. Josh from resortv1 got sat in front of a large tour group on kilimanjaro's safari about a week ago on stream and was notttt happy about it.

It just sucks when people talk so loud they disrupt others experience. I get everyone's excited to be on vacation or maybe some others live in Orlando and Disney is just a casual place to them but it really ruins it for that family or that person who is going to Disney and experiencing attractions for the first time.

DisneyFanatic12

If anything the vloggers/streams are annoyed with loud talkers as well. Josh from resortv1 got sat in front of a large tour group on kilimanjaro's safari about a week ago on stream and was notttt happy about it.

It just sucks when people talk so loud they disrupt others experience. I get everyone's excited to be on vacation or maybe some others live in Orlando and Disney is just a casual place to them but it really ruins it for that family or that person who is going to Disney and experiencing attractions for the first time.
I was in a boat on PotC with a tour group filling every other row, and you wouldn’t be able to talk to one another if you tried, they were that loud. And each was just talking about gossip and whatnot. So I agree with you, the tour groups can be real bad. NOT all, but many are obnoxious to an astonishing degree.

jloucks

It got worse after the lockdowns. People got so used to being on their couch and talking as loud and as much as they wanted. Its not just disney, its movie theaters as well. Which to me is even worse. People no longer care about others around them. Its only about them, and lots are more willing to get into a fight than quiet down if asked politely.
I think that is a logical postulation, mostly right, but maybe missing the intent or core of the behaviors...

Let me say it this way...

There are several kinds of jerks...

1) Just not thinking and inadvertently doing something stupid. Will stop if asked (most of us are this type)
2) Just DGAF and will not stop if asked. Seems to like to torment others. Feels powerful.
3) Easily annoyed and obnoxious about it (aka "Karen")
4) Educational "jerkiness", cops to offenders, parents to kids, bosses to slackers, etc.

After the lockdowns, all the extroverts were pretty much out of their minds and desperately needed to get out and be obnoxious. That's, like, what they do. Their defining characteristic. I don't hold that against them. They usually bring it down a notch or two if asked unless they are a #1 & #2.

jloucks

I fly a fair amount and everytime I’m at the gate, there is inevitably some a$$ hat either watching something on their phone without headphones in or talking loudly on speaker! EVERYTIME!
Lots of countries have rules on this sort of boorish behavior. I wish we did.

...not that people would obey.

Last edited:

jloucks

Interesting… the last time I was on Small World there were two young women behind me who were chronicling all the things that were wrong with the ride or not working properly. Not on video, just loudly complaining to each other. I get talking about stuff like that on a message board but I was confused as to why they’d be doing it on the actual ride. Like no one forced them to ride it, why trash the ride in front of everyone else trying to enjoy it.
This behavior probably has a name, and it is a peeve of mine too. Very much like some folks do on these forums, open a thread very much intentionally and then complain that folks should use the search bar or complain about thread necromancy, etc. It has to be a power thing. And THAT is the difference between what you referenced and forums or new articles. You cannot avoid toxic topics in a line, but it is easy to avoid written shenanigans. (you essentially said that, I just expanded a lot :cool: )

Actually, this board is really not bad at all, but some of the other hobby boards I frequent are brutal. You don't wanna be a newb on those boards.

SplashJacket

Annoying. And getting worse. Hong Kong was a breath of fresh air in that respect.
Its oddly satisfying to not understand the conversations around you.

After coming home from the Asian parks, it felt odd to understand conversations.

Pretty nice not having to hear whatever Kathy had to say to her family

Ricky Spanish

For me noise in the queues isnt bothersome. In some of the more interesting queues where there are sights to see, I'm looking around but any noise from them isnt distracting. Its when guests in the queues are unruly by trying to push past, bump into me, or invade my personal space thet it becomes a problem.
Ok, good. Because I’m the obnoxious guy sometimes.
I only act this way when people are way too close to me.
I don’t interact with said people, rather I start talking about unusual or embarrassing topics.
It usually works.

JohnD

Over the last 5 or so years, I’ve noticed a dramatic uptick in people loudly & constantly talking through attractions. It can take number of forms, from overzealous excitement to outright obnoxious talk that has nothing to do with the experience at hand. The one thing it has in common is that it detracts from the experience for other guests. Guests who paid just as much to be there and experience what WDI designed, not you and your party’s commentary track.

Epcot in particular seems to have become a haven for people loudly talking over music, ride narration, and performances.

It would seem to me the time has come for Disney to asks guests when loading non-thrill attractions and non-interactive theater shows to keep conversation to a minimum & a whisper. Just tack it in with the rest of the pre-attraction safety spiel.

Has anyone else noticed this?
It's problematic in slow moving boat rides like Living with the Land. Shut up already! I boarded to listen to the attraction, not you.

JohnD

Recently had someone take a speaker phone call in row in front of me on Living with the Land. I may have passively aggressively talked about it while taking some photos of said incident.
If it were me, I would have briefly answered that I'm currently on an attraction and will call you when I get off. Or better yet, don't answer the call and quickly text back "Can't answer now. Will call you in 5 minutes." How difficult is that?

JohnD

I’m an AP, as are my family, we always wait till we’re off-ride to chit chat & would never quote along. That said, I could see some APers being overly enthused, to put it politely. That’s crappy.

Like I said in the OP, it seems like a mixture of multiple groups.

On my most recent visit, the main culprit was parents (but not their kids) who inexplicably felt the need to shout out the obvious over and over “oh wow look guys it’s donald!” Or loudly ask constant questions like “is that a banana tree? It is! Did you know bananas grow on trees?” Meanwhile the kids (and everybody outside their party) are just trying to enjoy the ride.

I don’t think it’s a matter of stopping people from talking, but lowering your volume to be considerate of those around you.

If it’s a thrill ride or an interactive show, people are going to yell and get excited. Nobody’s demanding whispers on Big Thunder, Turtle Talk, or Playhouse Disney. That’d be weird LOL.

If it’s Pirates, PhilharMagic, Living With The Land, etc, no you do not need to incessantly & loudly talk through the whole ride. You can quietly make a comment to your friend/family member. Or experience it and then discuss it after off-ride.
I admit it. I mouth the words in the HM portrait chamber. I don't say them out loud, though. People want to hear the Ghost Host, not me. My general comment about people talking on boat rides notwithstanding, I'm not so bothered by parents pointing out things to their children on IASW. "It's the same song after all." I could use the distraction and it makes sense really for parents to do that with their kids on that ride. Otherwise, any other boat ride, please keep quiet.

Last edited:

JohnD

What I hate is when that is in the bathroom. Someone watching youtube videos with their phones cranked up or talking to someone on their phone while they are in a stall.
Eww. Co-workers do that at my workplace. They're on the phone with someone on the other end of the call with the sound of flushing and, well, other noises in the background. Disgusting. Who does that? It's easy for me to not answer a phone call. I now receive Microsoft Teams calls on my app from co-workers when I'm "indisposed". I chat them back that I've stepped away from my desk and will call them back shortly.

Tom Morrow

Part of the problem is that WDW has a bad record of keeping the audio levels of their attractions too quiet. There are a few exceptions, but there are so many rides where the audio is just barely there. All 21 people in the elevator shouldn't have to be dead silent to hear the audio on Tower of Terror, for example, but they do.

This is specifically a WDW problem. Equivalent attractions at Disneyland are much louder.

fgmnt

Here’s a fun anecdote for the class.

Made my first trip to DLR 2 weekends ago since 2012 (Wow, is it remarkable how much more i like it there). I think the median park guest in southern california is less insane and obnoxious than the median Florida guest.

Notable exception being a post-midnight ride on Space Mountain, where 5 teenage boys harassed the CMs in load, asking the young women if they would swipe right on them on Tinder. After that, they took off their shirts as soon as the rocket rounded the corner, and would not stop being annoying little brats the entire ride before barely reclothing as we hit the final brakes.

You can’t make this up. I hope that if the park were not already closed, someone on staff would have read them the riot act and sent them to the office to be picked up by the designated stepmom, but whatever.

Vegas Disney Fan

Phone etiquette in the U.S. seems to have gotten really bad. Blasting your phone on speaker at full volume in public places seems to be normal now. Even in public bathroom stalls!

I’m always amazed how many people use speakerphone in public, do they not realize how phones work and that they can just hold it up to their ear and keep their conversation private?

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I’m always amazed how many people use speakerphone in public, do they not realize how phones work and that they can just hold it up to their ear and keep their conversation private?
Fake Surprised Season 8 GIF by Friends

drizgirl

I'm sure it's just too much hassle to hold the phone up. I stood behind someone at Disneyland once watching an NFL football game with the volume turned up. Can't hold it up and still watch the next play!

Ayla

I'm sure it's just too much hassle to hold the phone up. I stood behind someone at Disneyland once watching an NFL football game with the volume turned up. Can't hold it up and still watch the next play!
We were streaming the Packer game Saturday night on my phone while waiting for the Napoleon Dynamite reunion show to start in Milwaukee ~ obviously, with the sound off...we weren't the only ones. 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom