Continued: Nobody at IOA Am I daydreaming?? lol..

MrPromey

Original Poster
Originally posted by Rider
Islands of Adventure is a theme park. If you have ever been to Six Flags or Cedar Point you will know what it means to lack any theme.

They are not trying to beat Six Flags in coasters. They are trying to create a theme park that thrill riders and little kids will enjoy.

Quite frankly I think IOA has better theming then EPCOT and MGM.

Hulk and the Dragons are the unique. Hulk for being a launched B&M, and Dragons for being Dueling Inverts.

Now a question... what is DCA? A theme park? An ammusement park?

If DCA is a theme park and IOA is not... well someone is spoon fed by disney.

I've never been to DCA so I can't say anything about that park. I'm speaking mostly in regards to the parks that I have visited. If you have been to DCA, by all means, tell us about it.

MrPromey

Original Poster
Originally posted by DigitalDisney
If IOA is just a bunch of dressed up amusement park rides then...

How is Storm Force different from the Mad Tea Party?
How is Dudley Doright / Jurassic Park different from Splash Mountain or Maelstrom?
How is Camp Jurassic different from HISTK:Adventure Zone?
How is Jurassic Park Discovery Center different from almost anything in World Showcase?
How is Flying Unicorn different from the Barnstormer?
How is Popeye's Bilgerat Barges different from Kali River Rapids?
How is Sindbad different from Indiana Jones?
How is Poseidon different from say...well....it's pretty unique by itself
How is Cat In The Hat different from any Fantasyland dark-ride?

IOA meets the Disney-standard for theming, and beats it on a number of rides. The park offers an unbeatable amount of detail in every direction. I've explored that park from front to back, and I know that there are things that I haven't seen.

My only complaint about the park is the horrible employees. Even with this drawback, IOA is my favorite park of all time. FYI, I rank USF below all the WDW parks. I'm not a Universal-fanboy.

Storm Force and Mad Tea Party are basically the same. I didn't say that all Disney rides weren't common. In fact, I actually pointed out where a few were.

Dudley Doright is a standard log flume with a modified track and minimal overall theme. If you took everything out of that ride besides the track, it wouldn't loose much of anything - what does that tell you? The most themed part of that ride - the part that is visible from the outside - is one of the hardest to notice because of the water spraying in your face and because of how quickly you go through it.

Jurassic Park is a standard amusement park attraction put in a building. Bush Gardens Florida has one and I believe Knots Berry Farms and Kennywood do now, too. They have gone on to make it a bit of a dark ride but how impressive would it be if they removed the drop?

Having nothing to do with this conversation, I would like to point out that for a ride that's several years older, Splash Mountain has much more comfortable seating than The Dudley Doright one, too... My real point with Splash Mountan is that Disney designed it from the ground up themselves and if you were to remove every single drop from it, there would still be a wait for it because it would remain a highly themed dark ride.

I have no idea how Maelstrom even gets thrown into this since it has a totally custom ride system and is by no means, any kind of a thrill ride. The only thing it has in common with Dudley Doright, Jurassic Park or Splash Mountain is that you are in a boat, and that it's dark in some parts. By that comparison, POC and IASW would come up in your argument, too.

Well, HISTK: Adventure Zone is a scene from a movie in a park about movies. Granted, it is not very realistic as the playground "set" that it is supposed to be but on the other hand it's also totally hidden from pretty much every other thing in the park. I will be honest, having never been with kids, I've not gone into Camp Jurassic but one thing I can say is that it is visible from not only the surrounding are but also from outside that "island". Actually, as I've said before in this thread or in the tread this all originated from - The whole of Jurassic Park seems like it would have been better suited for the theme park right next to IOA. If IOA had come first, and this land had been made before US, it might have made a little sense but being the only land devoted entirely to a string of movies seems a little strange to me, all things considered.

Well, one glaring difference between Jurassic Park Discovery Center and all of World Showcase is that World Showcase is representing something REAL and educational. They had people that actually went to the countries to do research before any of the pavilions were built and in some cases, brought artisans back from those countries to help construct the pavilions to insure that they were a realistic representation of the countries that occupy them. While Jurassic Park Discovery Center has a few educational things, I think it all sort of gets destroyed by the whole egg area and lets face it, the giving birth to a "real live dinosaur" really kills any credibility this area has in that regards.

The biggest difference between Barnstormer and Flying Unicorn? I think the Unicorn is considered a valuable addition to IOA where as a lot of people don't like Barnstormer being in MK. :rolleyes: Seriously, for what these rides are, I think both are themed about as well as they could be even if IOA's theme comes mostly from brown paint. I would clump this in the same place I did the teacups. The thing with these rides is that they make up only a small part of what MK has to offer being a few times the size of IOA in terms of attractoins. When you look at how many attractions IOA has and how many of them are like that, you come closer to seeing my point.

The same thing goes for Bilgerat Barges and Kali River Rapids.I personally, don't like spending a day walking around the parks soaked so I haven't done either of them many times. The one thing I can say that is different about the two is the upkeep. As I said earlier in this thread, the last time I was on Bilgerat Barges there were rust stains on parts of the (I wouldn't really call them animatronics) characters which I found surprising for them being on something that was only a few years old and as I also said before, in the scene towards the end, just before the drop, Popeye's neck was broken. I don't mean chipped or with a hole punched through, I mean his head was dangling by a cable of some kind upside down in front of his chest. I don't want to even venture to guess how something like this could have happened but it was a rather obvious, glaring problem.

Sinbad and Indiana Jones? Well, the biggest difference would probably be that - being at MGM - the Indiana Jones attraction is billed as a stunt show. They make a clear point to state that none of it is real with the various parts being broken into scenes and all of the bad guys visible "stretching" and preparing for scenes which cuts down on the violence factor considerably... IMO, Sinbad could have been a good show. The detail and theme of both the theater and the stage are very well done.I give credit to whoever designed all of that %100. It's just too bad the quality stops with the elaborate set. Perhaps if the show played more like the ancient adventure that it's apparently meant to represent and less like WWF Smackdown I myself, would like it more. I don't know, perhaps the elaborate set and special effects just made me expect something more along the lines of what Poseidon's fury is.

How is Cat In The Hat different from any Fantasyland dark-ride? Well, for starters, it's themed after a Dr. Seuss character which is something you won't find anywhere in wdw :) Actually, as dark rides go, I don't think Cat in the hat is bad at all (as I stated in another post in this thread). You can't compare it to most of Fantasy Land since we are looking at rides that are 30 years old there but if I had to compare it to say, Pooh, I'd say that I prefer Cat in the Hat, even with it's more basic ride system. The only thing I can really knock Cat in the Hat for is that it's rough enough for Universal to feel the need to post warnings for expectant mothers and people with back or neck problems.

Not everything at IOA is bad. I think Spiderman and Cat in the Hat are very well done attractions and even Poseidon's fury (with it's changes that I think improved some parts and made some parts worse) isn't bad but most of the park lacks originality or genuine uniqueness. The whole theme of the park is confusing. There are three lands devoted to cartoon characters of different types, one to a movie, one to "the lost continent" (Atlantis?), and the entry port which is apparently a satellite location of some sort to the lost continent... They seem to have put a lot of thought into the themes that they carry in the various sections of the park. I have no dispute over that at all. I just think that the a big steel roller coaster looks a little out of place around a bunch of crumbling ruins and while Hulk may be a great roller coaster, it sort of clashes with the cityscape of the rest of it's island and with Seuss Landing and with the other areas of the park that it and the free fall can be seen and/or heard from. It's like the dump a lot of money into cement and fiberglass only to ruin it all with a total lack of theme right in the middle of it all. I think Diney screwed up with this when they put Aladdin in. The other areas that they use these types of rides in are more acceptable for this kind of thing but it does look incredibly out of place in the otherwise well themed Adventureland. The top of it is also visible in one part of Frontierland which is a big no-no as well. I'm not suggesting that Disney is perfect and never does this kind of stuff. I'm just saying that while most of us don't like it when they do it either it is very much the exception rather than the rule. At IOA the theme seems to be more about decoration and less about immersion with a lot of their attractions.

Let's take Disney totally out of the picture and look at IOA's sister park again. I'm sure that everyone reading this thread is probably familiar with the rumors over Kong and how it might be replaced by a roller coaster based on the upcoming movie, The Scorpion King. Now why would a ride like Kong be threatened by a Universal roller coaster? Why not just put it over the streets of the New York back lot area or make good use of the show lagoon in the center of the park by suspending a good chunk of the coaster over that? Does anyone think there is anything wrong with that? Does anyone think they would do something like that?

Universal set their own standards for what a theme park is with USF. Overall, those standards seem to have gotten a lot looser with IOA and I don't see how that can be disputed. You can tell from just about anywhere in the two parks, you can even tell from I-4 by just glancing in the direction of the parks. It doesn't take a pair of "Disney tinted glasses" to see what I'm talking about.

...As much fun as this debate has been, I'm probably getting just as tired of typing these long winded responses as everyone else is getting with reading them so I think I'm going to pretty much end my part in this debate with this post. Feel free to dissect this post anyway you like, though. I look forward to reading everyone elses comments - both those in agreement and those not. :)

Bdis86

Account Suspended
Now I've had it! Disney has been the leader in all coasters. The Matterhorn was the first Steel Coaster! Can you imagine if they all were wooden? lol. The Materhorn was also the first coaster that could be run with multiple trains on the same track. If you think lines are long now.... lol. And remember that Disney themes their coasters beyond anything. Big Thunder Mt. is the best example. How many Mts. are there in other parks? Disney started the Mt. Idea. It makes coasters look like they fit in, unlike Rides like Hulk. lol. 90% of Disney's coasters have fit in well. Espically California Screamin. Do you think they needed to erect a white wooden-looking structure around a freely standing steel coaster? lol. Disney knows how to theme flawlessly. Now, take a look at a park like Islands of Adventure. It looks like a themed park, but in reality it's not. Dueling Dragons should be in a Mt., but it's not, and to me, that ruins the theming of their Atlantis themed land. Yes, it is Atlantis themed, not the same way as the Disney movie though. lol. Hulk should be indoors, and there's more I could say, but I'm not going to. lol. Disney is number one, and you can't change that. Universal is Disney's biggest competor in the world of theme parks, but Disney will always be on top. Why? A division of the Disney company called Imagineering. Universal doesn't have that. They just go to other parks and try to steel ideas from other parks, ie: Buzz Lightyear and Men in Black, A toned down version of Roger Rabbit and The Cat in the Hat, Peter Pan and E.T, and various of the shelf rides. Universal hasn't designed any new ride vehicles with the exception of King Kong and Spider-Man :) Universal is, and always be second to Disney, because Universal is just a group of copy-cats.

DigitalDisney

MrPromey:
Dudley Doright is much more than a standard log flume. While the theming / AA isn't exactly top-notch, it's definately there, and there's 100x more theming than at any other log flume I've ever seen (aside from Splash). I really wonder if you've ever been on it? Besides, the reason people go on Dudley is because of the thrilling drops and the water. The funny theming only adds to the ride's greatness.

Jurassic Park is a standard amusement park ride put in a building?!?! ROFLMAO. You're kidding, right? You've obviously never been on it, and it shows. The vast majority of JPRA occurs outside of the building. Basically, the building has the lift hill, a U-turn, and the big drop. No more, no less.

You are correct about the Dudley vs Splash comparison. If you removed the drops from Dudley, it wouldn't see the 90 minute+ waits it gets currently. Then again, neither would Splash. In fact, Splash wouldn't need a FastPass if you took out the drops. I definately wouldn't go on Splash as often if they removed the drops from it. It's a high priority now with the drops. Without the drops, it would just be another Small World.

Your Camp Jurassic comments are interesting. I think that CJ is superior to HISTK:CJ in that it really fits the theme of the 'land', and you don't have to hide it from the surrounding area. Also, it has so much more than what you see from the walkways. Every time I go in there, I find something new and fun.

Did you know that JPRA was supposed to go where MiB sits at USF right now? If IOA wasn't built, JPRA would have been in USF. Now, of course, it's much, much better with it's own island in IOA.

The World Showcase vs JPDC comparison didn't go as well as I expected. The basic point, it that it is a well-themed area to explore that has educational exhibits in it. This is something that you won't find at any SF park, or any park with glorified amusement rides. Granted, World Showcase takes it to the next level, but on a primitive level, they're extremely similar.

The Flying Unicorn has never been billed as a major attraction in IOA. It's a kiddie coaster. It never will be a major ride. Your point appears that the ride is more significant because the amount of rides at IOA is less than at the MK? Don't forget that the MK has had years of growth behind it.

Every time I've been on PBBB I've never had a problem, and I go on all rides at IOA on every visit. I will give Universal harsh opinions on their AA, because they don't seem to be anywhere near the level of Disney's AA characters both in terms of complexity and reliability.

Back to PBBB, even if the ride's AA has problems (which I'm not denying), it's still significantly superior to Kali, which is still a fun ride, but it's a joke compared to Disney standards. In fact, PBBB is often rated as the number one rapids ride in the world. Universal knew what they were doing with this one, and it shows.

So the only major difference between Indy Jones and Sindbad is the fact that one is a stunt show and the other is just a show? They're both highly-themed stunt shows that involve lots o' action and lots o' special effects, and both of them are 100x better than stunt shows at SF or other parks. I regard both shows highly, and I find both of them to be very entertaining.

Which three islands are dedicated to cartoons? The only one that comes to mind is Toon Lagoon. Seuss Landing is based on the art and stories of Dr. Seuss (his books). MSHI is based on comic books. I think both of our arguments here are pushing it :)

Lack of direction at IOA? This is true, but no more than at the Magic Kingdom or Disneyland or TDS lack direction to the same extent. Heck, even DCA beats MK and DL in overall direction and overall theme. The best parks (direction-wise) are Epcot (discovery), MGM(movies), AK(animals / exploration), and maybe even USF(movies). I won't deny that Disney reigns supreme in that department.

I will complain about the proposed Scorpion King attraction in NY, if it does indeed happen. King Kong belongs in New York, no questions asked. Maybe they should make a King Kong coaster instead? The proposed Universal park in Germany has a launched lift-hill that goes straight through Kong's hands. They could probably fit a modified version of RNRC in the Kong building, and have it themed to a Kong attack, complete with explosions and stuff like that.

MrPromey

Original Poster
MrPromey:
Dudley Doright is much more than a standard log flume. While the theming / AA isn't exactly top-notch, it's definately there, and there's 100x more theming than at any other log flume I've ever seen (aside from Splash). I really wonder if you've ever been on it? Besides, the reason people go on Dudley is because of the thrilling drops and the water. The funny theming only adds to the ride's greatness.

Jurassic Park is a standard amusement park ride put in a building?!?! ROFLMAO. You're kidding, right? You've obviously never been on it, and it shows. The vast majority of JPRA occurs outside of the building. Basically, the building has the lift hill, a U-turn, and the big drop. No more, no less.

You are correct about the Dudley vs Splash comparison. If you removed the drops from Dudley, it wouldn't see the 90 minute+ waits it gets currently. Then again, neither would Splash. In fact, Splash wouldn't need a FastPass if you took out the drops. I definately wouldn't go on Splash as often if they removed the drops from it. It's a high priority now with the drops. Without the drops, it would just be another Small World.

Your Camp Jurassic comments are interesting. I think that CJ is superior to HISTK:CJ in that it really fits the theme of the 'land', and you don't have to hide it from the surrounding area. Also, it has so much more than what you see from the walkways. Every time I go in there, I find something new and fun.

Did you know that JPRA was supposed to go where MiB sits at USF right now? If IOA wasn't built, JPRA would have been in USF. Now, of course, it's much, much better with it's own island in IOA.

The World Showcase vs JPDC comparison didn't go as well as I expected. The basic point, it that it is a well-themed area to explore that has educational exhibits in it. This is something that you won't find at any SF park, or any park with glorified amusement rides. Granted, World Showcase takes it to the next level, but on a primitive level, they're extremely similar.

The Flying Unicorn has never been billed as a major attraction in IOA. It's a kiddie coaster. It never will be a major ride. Your point appears that the ride is more significant because the amount of rides at IOA is less than at the MK? Don't forget that the MK has had years of growth behind it.

Every time I've been on PBBB I've never had a problem, and I go on all rides at IOA on every visit. I will give Universal harsh opinions on their AA, because they don't seem to be anywhere near the level of Disney's AA characters both in terms of complexity and reliability.

Back to PBBB, even if the ride's AA has problems (which I'm not denying), it's still significantly superior to Kali, which is still a fun ride, but it's a joke compared to Disney standards. In fact, PBBB is often rated as the number one rapids ride in the world. Universal knew what they were doing with this one, and it shows.

So the only major difference between Indy Jones and Sindbad is the fact that one is a stunt show and the other is just a show? They're both highly-themed stunt shows that involve lots o' action and lots o' special effects, and both of them are 100x better than stunt shows at SF or other parks. I regard both shows highly, and I find both of them to be very entertaining.

Which three islands are dedicated to cartoons? The only one that comes to mind is Toon Lagoon. Seuss Landing is based on the art and stories of Dr. Seuss (his books). MSHI is based on comic books. I think both of our arguments here are pushing it :)

Lack of direction at IOA? This is true, but no more than at the Magic Kingdom or Disneyland or TDS lack direction to the same extent. Heck, even DCA beats MK and DL in overall direction and overall theme. The best parks (direction-wise) are Epcot (discovery), MGM(movies), AK(animals / exploration), and maybe even USF(movies). I won't deny that Disney reigns supreme in that department.

I will complain about the proposed Scorpion King attraction in NY, if it does indeed happen. King Kong belongs in New York, no questions asked. Maybe they should make a King Kong coaster instead? The proposed Universal park in Germany has a launched lift-hill that goes straight through Kong's hands. They could probably fit a modified version of RNRC in the Kong building, and have it themed to a Kong attack, complete with explosions and stuff like that.

This isn't fair! :p I said I wasn't going to post anymore :rolleyes: Well maybe one more time tonight ;)

RogueHabit

Hmmm, someone has IOA envy!!!:lol:

Speaking for myself and my family, we visit WDW and USF/IOA every trip and IOA is definately NOT the low point.

If anything that award falls to Epcot, without a doubt. Sorry but it is just dull, dull, dull.

But then that is just this families opinion.

Tom Morrow

Originally posted by Bdis86
Now I've had it! Disney has been the leader in all coasters.
Now, if THAT is not a mouse-tinted claim, I don't know what is! Disney is by no means a coaster leader. The real leaders are companies like Six Flags, Paramount, and Cedar Fair, or better yet, the companies that design the coasters, like Arrow Dynamics, B&M, Vekoma, & Intamin. Arrow also takes more credit for the matterhorn than Disney does.

And remember that Disney themes their coasters beyond anything. Big Thunder Mt. is the best example. How many Mts. are there in other parks? Disney started the Mt. Idea. It makes coasters look like they fit in, unlike Rides like Hulk. lol. 90% of Disney's coasters have fit in well. Espically California Screamin. Do you think they needed to erect a white wooden-looking structure around a freely standing steel coaster? lol. Disney knows how to theme flawlessly.
This is another Disney-biased comment. Obviously, Disney is the king of theming coasters, but most parks are not going for that. Its also very, very hard to fully theme a ride like Hulk or Dueling Dragons. I agree though, they both could have had at least *some* theming during the ride, especially DD.

Now, take a look at a park like Islands of Adventure. It looks like a themed park, but in reality it's not. Dueling Dragons should be in a Mt., but it's not, and to me, that ruins the theming of their Atlantis themed land. Yes, it is Atlantis themed, not the same way as the Disney movie though. lol. Hulk should be indoors, and there's more I could say, but I'm not going to. lol.
I can't stress this enough, Islands of Adventure is a THEME PARK, therefore, it IS themed. A theme park does not have to have a central theme, and many of them don't. The Magic Kingdom is a great example of a theme park that doesn't have a central theme. Basically, if the park has theming, its a theme park. Dueling Dragons would not make sense to be in a mountain because Dragons fly, and they don't live in mountains. Hulk would be near impossible to put indoors, if they did it would have to be a massive building. An indoor coaster has to be very compact, and B&M, the makers of Hulk, don't do that. Both these comments are very typical of a mouse worshipper (no offense). Would you go to Cedar Point and complain that 14 of their 15 coasters are outside and unthemed??

Disney is number one, and you can't change that. Universal is Disney's biggest competor in the world of theme parks, but Disney will always be on top. Why? A division of the Disney company called Imagineering. Universal doesn't have that. They just go to other parks and try to steel ideas from other parks, ie: Buzz Lightyear and Men in Black, A toned down version of Roger Rabbit and The Cat in the Hat, Peter Pan and E.T, and various of the shelf rides. Universal hasn't designed any new ride vehicles with the exception of King Kong and Spider-Man :) Universal is, and always be second to Disney, because Universal is just a group of copy-cats.

Disney is number one, I agree. But you have to admit that when Universal "steals" a ride idea, they often do it better than Disney. Notice I said often, because it is not always the case.

Just to clear something up, I DO think Disney is number one!

ToTBellHop

Universal do a ride better than disney. That's funny. Disney could have made any one of those rides at Islands of Adventure better, and they have on some accounts. You can say those who made Islands used to be disney Imagineers, but for the most part, they were the BAD Imagineers that disney FIRED. Disney still has all of the best imagineers. Also, if you do not think Splash would have long lines w/o the drops, take a walk over to Fantasyland. There are no thrill rides here, just highly themed dark rides, and they generally have waits in excess of 50 minutes (speaking of Pooh and Peter). What exactly does that say when a small ride with no real thrill factor has a longer line than any of the rides at Islands of Adventure? What does it say when twice as many people go to Epcot, which a person in this thread called boring, as they do go to Islands of Adventure? The numbers speak for themselves. To put it bluntly, IoA's concept does not work. For the last time, IoA is NOT a theme park. It is an amusement park with themed lands. When you attach the word "theme" to something, it means it means the area after is themed. So a theme park is a park with a theme, not a park consisting of several areas that do not connect at all. It's a VERY simple concept.

Tom Morrow

Nobody ever said that Universal builds every ride better than Disney, but you've got to admit that when comparing certain rides that are similar, Universal's are better in some cases. Saying Disney does absolutely everything better because they are Disney is pretty ignorant.

Disney gets more attandacnce than any other park in the WORLD, not just IOA. The fact that IOA and Universal are right behind Disney in attandance records should really tell you something. Universal's goal is to be #2, and thats exactly where they are. The numbers DO speak for themselves!

If you say IOA isn't a theme park, then by your logic, the Magic Kingdom isn't one either. Both are a collection of random themed lands.

MK has Main Street USA with a European castle at the end. There aren't any castles in America, but thats OK. The future also can't exist at the same time as colonial amerca or the old west, but thats OK too. If you look into it, Magic Kingdom's theme is just as weird as Islands of Adventure.

Bdis86

Account Suspended
The castle at the Magic Kingdom is in Fantasyland. It is the gateway to Fantasyland. Anyway, to me, a theme park makes you feel like you are really there, everywhere in the park at least in one direction. You can't see the outside world from in the park, and it has to be almost perfect! Disney has done that most places.(Not at DCA in large areas) The coasters on stilts at IoA ruin the theme of the park. It may not to everyone, but do you really think if you went to Atlantis, you would have a coaster like DDs? I don't think so, but maybe some people do. And it's not that Universal has made some stolen ride ideas better then the orginals, it's that they stole the ride ideas! It's just not ethical. Oh well. And yes, I do love Disney, but I also love the rides at IoA, but to be, I like Disney's style better. It's what people call, "Disney Magic."

Luau Cove

Here is something puzzling for you who blindly-detest IoA .

Disney's MGM-Studios is also called a Theme Park.

After reading that: Dare to contradict IoA is a Theme Park.

-->LuAu

Rider

It may not to everyone, but do you really think if you went to Atlantis, you would have a coaster like DDs? I don't think so, but maybe some people do.

If I went to Atlantis I wouldn't expect to see coasters at all....

In fact, I dont like that area is themed to Atlantis... It has stuff from the middle east (Sinbad) and old england (DD, Unicorn (which mentions Merlin, so it has to be England)). Maybe you could pass the first part (with Posidon) as Atlantis.

The castle at the Magic Kingdom is in Fantasyland. It is the gateway to Fantasyland.

So by your double standard its ok to see a castle from Main Street USA because it is in a different land, but its not OK to see the Marvel city-scape from Port of Entry because they are not the same theme?

Anyway, to me, a theme park makes you feel like you are really there, everywhere in the park at least in one direction. You can't see the outside world from in the park, and it has to be almost perfect! Disney has done that most places.(Not at DCA in large areas)

You can see the parking garage from the riverboat at Disneyland.

And how dosent IOA do this? I couldn't see outside the park (except on Fear Fall and DD, but you can see outside on Materhorn and Screaming too... not to mention the other DCA rides).

ToTBellHop

MGM'S THEME IS ENTERTAINMENT!!! oh my gosh...and you can see park icons from anywhere in the park! That's why they are park icons! They act as a unifying force in a theme park...and it is okay to see part of one land from another...it would be impossible NOT to...the problem is when you have two nasty looking towers that you can see throughout the park, or naked roller coasters that stick out above everything else. Disney does not do this. Anything that you can possibly see from another land is highly themed so that it fits in. Like...you are in hollywood, and see a hotel towering over the studios...you DON'T see ugly pieces of metal peircing the sky. Or you are in the magic kingdom and see mountains...fine! You don't see a log ride and you don't see the coasters (sit on the monorail at the polynesian and see if you can see what type of attraction the mountains have). The idea is to not be able to physically see rides from one land that are in another. California Adventure might be an exception...I don't know...I haven't been there...not sure if you can see Paradise Pier's rides before you are really in Paradise Pier...as long as all you could see is MaliBOOMer, it wouldn't be a problem...b/c that's leaving when the Hollywood Tower Hotel's construction completes...

Tom Morrow

I happen to think that rollercoasters look damn cool by themselves, and they don't always need to be covered up. If you're going to build coasters on Hulk or DD's scale, its basically impossible to hide the fact that its a coaster, anyway.

Primeval Whirl is a completely open coaster with much less theming than Hulk or DD, and it JUST opened! Its also very ugly looking (but probably a fun ride).

Yes, I think that this looks cool, not ugly:
hulk05.jpg

RogueHabit

Originally posted by Tom Morrow
I happen to think that rollercoasters look damn cool by themselves, and they don't always need to be covered up. If you're going to build coasters on Hulk or DD's scale, its basically impossible to hide the fact that its a coaster, anyway.

Primeval Whirl is a completely open coaster with much less theming than Hulk or DD, and it JUST opened! Its also very ugly looking (but probably a fun ride).

Yes, I think that this looks cool, not ugly:
hulk05.jpg
This is true, but the theming makes it fun. On both DD and Hulk the queue area has so much to keep the eyes busy that you queue time just flies by.

MrPromey

Original Poster
Originally posted by Ratcat
This is true, but the theming makes it fun. On both DD and Hulk the queue area has so much to keep the eyes busy that you queue time just flies by.

Well, I agree with your opinions of the queue of DD 100% but I don't recall much beyond some green paint a few tubes of water with light and TV screens with blaring sound in Hulk

MrPromey

Original Poster
MrPromey:

In the interest of keeping this post reasonably short, I'm only responding to the first part of your post. Sorry but my fingers just can't take it today. :)

Yes, I've been on Ripsaw Falls... I agree that the theming is 100x better than most log flumes. But since most have absolutely none at all, just about anything would qualify the ride for that statement. As I said in my original post, it's modified (somewhat similar to SM in that at some points it attaches to a track) What you said about the reason people go on Dudley is my point exactly. People aren't on it because it's Dudly Doright, they are on it because it's a log flume ride. They could have saved money on the structure that houses it and made it a bare bones attraction like Hulk and DD and at least 80% of the people in line for it, probably wouldn't care really...

Yes, I have been on the Jurassic Park river ride. Lets face it, unless Universal is making a triceratops that exists as its own entire attraction, they can't make a decent animatronic to save anyone's life. What is the river ride? You go up an incline, stroll around a corner, go through some gaits, look at something to your left, then to your right, pass under a moving box and then head into the building. If you actually look at the T-rex just before the final drop, you'll see that he has what looks like a plastic tarp for a neck. It's made that way for easy access during maintenance but it looks like crap. I judge this ride based on the drop almost totally because the rest of it fails miserably as a 'thrill ride' and because of the drop, it restricts access to the rest of what there is to only thrill riders. As for me saying standard, check out: http://www.buschgardens.com/buschgardens/fla/attractions/ride_wave.html

On their version, it's all outside. You go through a village and them pass real animals (big ones like Rhinos) before you go up the lift and drop. Universal's is nice in that the drop is a little more of a surprise but this one using almost the exact same ride system, has been around for over ten years and the real animals are a lot more convincing than Universal's AA ones.

So you don't think there would be long lines for Splash if they took out the drops? Well, it was not uncommon to see waits of and hour and a half or more for Peter Pan prior to the release of the new movie. Since Splash Mountain has more advanced animatronics than anything else in Fantasyland, I would have to think that it would do just as well if not better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom