Contemporary Resort blast from the past

John park hopper

Original Poster
Recently looking through old boxes of pictures for some of my military stuff and found our original Contemporary reservation for our honeymoon from March 20, 1977. I was shocked to see what we paid back then, we stayed at the Contemporary Garden wing (think it's gone now) paid $45/night, stayed 3 nights. If we stayed in the tower it would have been $60/night. On check in we received a folder which contained a copy of the The World news " good news from the vacation Kingdom" 8 page newpaper of info on WDW (still have it) Vol 7, No 3 It lists all sorts of stuff watercraft rentals --Ski Boat with driver $15/hour, Catamaran 12'-14' $4-6/ hour, sunfish $4/hour. Also says miles of sandy beaches which attracts swimmers all year round. For those in my age bracket who may remember these performers the following Guy Lombardo and his royal Canadians, Comic George Kirby and the Mills Brothers would be performing the month of March at the Sky Top Supper Club. We made reservations for the Polynesian Luaus 8:15 seating cost $12.50/person (lucky to find a burger @ that price now). We also ate at The Contemporary Terrace Buffeteria $1.10-3.95. To be honest I can't remember how the food compares to now. Times and prices sure have changed over the years

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
Wow, what lovely memories. Any chance you could post some pics of some of it, it would be fascinating to see!

Makes me feel better about all that hoarding of momentos from my holidays over the years. Now if only I could find them ..... ;)

Last edited:

EOD K9

Recently looking through old boxes of pictures for some of my military stuff and found our original Contemporary reservation for our honeymoon from March 20, 1977. I was shocked to see what we paid back then, we stayed at the Contemporary Garden wing (think it's gone now) paid $45/night, stayed 3 nights. If we stayed in the tower it would have been $60/night. On check in we received a folder which contained a copy of the The World news " good news from the vacation Kingdom" 8 page newpaper of info on WDW (still have it) Vol 7, No 3 It lists all sorts of stuff watercraft rentals --Ski Boat with driver $15/hour, Catamaran 12'-14' $4-6/ hour, sunfish $4/hour. Also says miles of sandy beaches which attracts swimmers all year round. For those in my age bracket who may remember these performers the following Guy Lombardo and his royal Canadians, Comic George Kirby and the Mills Brothers would be performing the month of March at the Sky Top Supper Club. We made reservations for the Polynesian Luaus 8:15 seating cost $12.50/person (lucky to find a burger @ that price now). We also ate at The Contemporary Terrace Buffeteria $1.10-3.95. To be honest I can't remember how the food compares to now. Times and prices sure have changed over the years
That.....is.....awesome.

MaryJaneP

Contemporary South Garden Wing still exists. Contemporary North Garden Wing and nearby tennis courts bit the dust to make room for the Bay Lake Tower and the parking lot in front of it. We stayed in North for our honeymoon but this was in the 80's. We have fond recollections of the resort from that time as well. Thanks for your post.

ParentsOf4

Adjusted for inflation, $45/night in 1977 comes out to about $185/night today.

If I correctly recall, published WDW prices in the 1970s included tax.

For a weekday night in March 2018, a Garden Wing room at the Contemporary is $575/night with tax. :jawdrop:

WDW hotel prices remained pretty consistent with inflation until 1984, when there were 4 years of double-digit price increases.

After that, price increases slightly outpaced inflation until the early 2000s.

Beginning in the early 2000s, price increases outpaced inflation by roughly 2-3% every year. For example, in 2017 the average WDW hotel rack rate increase was 4.5% while inflation was 1.7%.

John park hopper

Original Poster
Adjusted for inflation, $45/night in 1977 comes out to about $185/night today.

If I correctly recall, published WDW prices in the 1970s included tax.

For a weekday night in March 2018, a Garden Wing room at the Contemporary is $575/night with tax. :jawdrop:

WDW hotel prices remained pretty consistent with inflation until 1984, when there were 4 years of double-digit price increases.

After that, price increases slightly outpaced inflation until the early 2000s.

Beginning in the early 2000s, price increases outpaced inflation by roughly 2-3% every year. For example, in 2017 the average WDW hotel rack rate increase was 4.5% while inflation was 1.7%.

Wow! $45/night did include tax (wish it was $185/night I could afford to stay again) at $575/night todays prices is why we stay at the moderate resorts. Wonder why they raised the rates so much, guess because they can and still get guests on property. I wonder what the point is of deminishing returns?

ParentsOf4

Wow! $45/night did include tax (wish it was $185/night I could afford to stay again) at $575/night todays prices is why we stay at the moderate resorts. Wonder why they raised the rates so much, guess because they can and still get guests on property. I wonder what the point is of deminishing returns?
Simplistically, some will say supply and demand. However, it's more complicated than that.

Up until 1984, Disney's senior leadership was focused on customer value. As such, they tended to keep a lid on prices and (I've been told) genuinely felt bad when they had to raise them.

As a result, up until 1984 prices were artificially low. Today's equivalent of $185/night for a hotel room is not cheap, but it was cheap for what the Contemporary offered.

After that, senior leadership was replaced by a group who felt no such pain. A lot of the late 1980s changes were to get the Contemporary more in line with prices being charged outside of Orlando for comparable hotels.

Over the long haul, I've seen a trend among consumers to become increasingly (sorry for using the word) stupid with their money when it comes to vacations.

Older generations grew up with the frugality of the Great Depression and raised their children the same way.

Generations that followed didn't experience that and didn't exercise the same restraint.

Today, there seems to be a "I work really hard and deserve the best vacation money can buy" attitude. (Their parents and grandparents worked hard too.) As a result, there appears to be a tendency to overpay for vacations, which is why margins are up in the industry.

Disney is simply taking advantage of the change in attitudes by adjusting prices to match what the market will bear.

Last edited:

John park hopper

Original Poster
Simplistically, some will say supply and demand. However, it's more complicated than that.

Up until 1984, Disney's senior leadership was focused on customer value. As such, they tended to keep a lid on prices and (I've been told) genuinely felt bad when they had to raise them.

As a result, up until 1984 prices were artificially low. Today's equivalent of $185/night for a hotel room is not cheap, but it was cheap for what the Contemporary offered.

After that, senior leadership was replaced by a group who felt no such pain. A lot of the late 1980s changes were to get the Contemporary more in line with prices being charged outside of Orlando for comparable hotels.

Over the long-haul, I've seen a trend among consumers to become increasingly (sorry for using the word) stupid with their money when it comes to vacations.

Older generations grew up with the frugality of the Great Depression and raised their children the same way.

Generations that followed didn't experience that and didn't exercise the same restraint.

Today, there seems to be a "I work really hard and deserve the best vacation money can buy" attitude. (Their parents and grandparents worked hard too.) As a result, there appears to be a tendency to overpay for vacations, which is why margins are up in the industry.

Disney is simply taking advantage of the change in attitudes by adjusting prices to match what the market will bear.

Great explanation, I can identify with alot of what you posted 1. child of depression raised parents 2. have taught my own kids the value of a dollar 3. we are bombarded daily with: whether you can afford it or not because you exist you deserve it thus credit debt is at an all time high. There will come a point when regrettably (nothing left too cut costs on) we will not vacation at WDW, the value will no longer be there: over priced lodging, over priced food, over priced park tickets, unbearable crowds etc. I wish Disney would go back to its 1984 business model (when pigs fly)

Last edited:

Robbiem

Great memories I keep things from my travels which are nice to leaf through on a rainy day.

On the subject of pricing I think it's a drive towards short term planning and bonus culture. Back in the day companies like Disney built for the long term by giving people good value you were more likely to return again and spend more in the long run. Now I feel that people want everything from me now so they get their yearly bonus and don't care if I come back again because they will be somewhere else rather than £5 a year they'd rather have £10 once and try and fleece someone else next year

bigrigross

Great explanation, I can identify with alot of what you posted 1. child of depression raised parents 2. have taught my own kids the value of a dollar 3. we are bombarded daily with: whether you can afford it or not because you exist you deserve it thus credit debt is at an all time high. There will come a point when regrettably (nothing left too cut costs on) we will not vacation at WDW, the value will no longer be there: over priced lodging, over priced food, over priced park tickets, unbearable crowds etc. I wish Disney would go back to its 1984 business model (when pigs fly)

Here is a "millennial" point of view I guess you could say. People who put together vacations generally want to be at peace and relax during them. Staying at a Value is smarter financial wise if you dont have disposable income. But you do not get the rest one needs. The values have a ton of people in them, food courts are loud, and waiting for buses or walking to your car is not fun. I purposely choose deluxe resorts (or any higher end hotel) not because their expensive and I deserve the best, its because I want to relax and I want convenience. So at Disney, Deluxes give me better convenience and its not so crazy in the resorts like it is at the values or moderates. Its why I got DVC at Old Key West. When we travel on vacation outside of Disney, especially in the cities, convenience is worth every dollar. When I went to New Orleans, I could get a hotel for 130 dollars a night with a 15 minute drive into the city. Or, I could pay 350 a night and stay in the city. That means I dont have to drive anywhere and every place is walk-able and I dont have to worry about finding my car. Convenience is worth the money to me at least. I also dont pay for vacations using credit or loans so their is that. Now, I have no interest staying at the Contemporary. Its loud and obnoxious there due to the design of the building. The tower I am sure is fine, but I prefer the Poly, OKW, and AKL. I have also stayed at POR and loved it, but unless you want to drive to front desk, the walk is far, at least where I stayed. But it is peaceful and quiet.

I dont quite understand the complaints about food cost at Walt Disney World. Snacks and some quick service restaurants cost are equivalent to what you find at a state fair and such. The table service restaurants are pretty much the same you would find at any restaurant so I am confused why people call it expensive. The prices at the boathouse or at Victoria and Alberts are on par for what you would pay at any other higher end steak restaurant.

G8rchamps

Here is a "millennial" point of view I guess you could say. People who put together vacations generally want to be at peace and relax during them. Staying at a Value is smarter financial wise if you dont have disposable income. But you do not get the rest one needs. The values have a ton of people in them, food courts are loud, and waiting for buses or walking to your car is not fun. I purposely choose deluxe resorts (or any higher end hotel) not because their expensive and I deserve the best, its because I want to relax and I want convenience. So at Disney, Deluxes give me better convenience and its not so crazy in the resorts like it is at the values or moderates. Its why I got DVC at Old Key West. When we travel on vacation outside of Disney, especially in the cities, convenience is worth every dollar. When I went to New Orleans, I could get a hotel for 130 dollars a night with a 15 minute drive into the city. Or, I could pay 350 a night and stay in the city. That means I dont have to drive anywhere and every place is walk-able and I dont have to worry about finding my car. Convenience is worth the money to me at least. I also dont pay for vacations using credit or loans so their is that. Now, I have no interest staying at the Contemporary. Its loud and obnoxious there due to the design of the building. The tower I am sure is fine, but I prefer the Poly, OKW, and AKL. I have also stayed at POR and loved it, but unless you want to drive to front desk, the walk is far, at least where I stayed. But it is peaceful and quiet.

I dont quite understand the complaints about food cost at Walt Disney World. Snacks and some quick service restaurants cost are equivalent to what you find at a state fair and such. The table service restaurants are pretty much the same you would find at any restaurant so I am confused why people call it expensive. The prices at the boathouse or at Victoria and Alberts are on par for what you would pay at any other higher end steak restaurant.

Awe man I agree with a "millennial" ewww.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

As one of those kids of depression raised parents (otherwise known as Boomers), my parents, especially my mom, were pretty tight with a penny (back when pennys were worth something). Very few things bought on credit (other than store credit, not too many bank cards) - just your house, maybe your car. Saved for major purchases, no instant gratification. Good paying, stable jobs. Many retired much better off than they started. My mother would be appalled at the price of Disney hotels and tickets. For her, a $5,000 - $8,000 vacation is a three week cruise around the Mediterranean.

bigrigross

Awe man I agree with a "millennial" ewww.

Well if it helps, I was raised by my grandparents. Grandfather owned a tree business and I pretty much did tree work from the time I was 12 to my sophomore year of college so I do not behave like some of my peers who party and have no work ethic. Even my much older co-workers call me an old soul. I am just unfortunately grouped into that age graphic. Your comment had me rolling though.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

I'm in agreement with you on the Contemporary/BLT. Stayed at BLT 2 years ago. Just wasn't impressed. Didn't like the style. Only advantage - walking to MK.

Bought into DVC for similar reasons - want the full kitchen and laundry - suits how we travel. Love WL and GF rooms, but I'm at that point in my life where I want space, convenience and quiet in a hotel room...and the DVC villas provide it.

Spike-in-Berlin

There were always three WDW deluxe resorts I always wanted to stay at, at least once per resort. The Poly, the WL and the Contemporary. Luckily I got the chance to stay at the Poly and the WL before rates skyrocketed to increasingly insane levels in the last 7 years. Sadly I will not stay at the CR at these rates, not only because I consider them far too high but because I know for sure that the quality of WDW deluxe Resorts is mediocre at best. We had some issues with cleanliness and mousekeeping in the Poly, the AKL and even, would you believe it, the YC! I don't feel inclined to pay 400+ $ for mediocre service. Especially at the CR, which concerning theming is the weakest deluxe resort on property. This could change if they would give the CR a massive refurb and retheming, for years I've been telling people, that they should transform the CR in a TRON RESORT. Everything should be TRON style and you get the impression of staying in a virtual environment ( with the strong connection to the coming TRON coaster).

John park hopper

Original Poster
Wow, what lovely memories. Any chance you could post some pics of some of it, it would be fascinating to see!

Makes me feel better about all that hoarding of momentos from my holidays over the years. Now if only I could find them ..... ;)
I know we took pictures its just a matter of finding them, when I do I will post them

Robbiem

There were always three WDW deluxe resorts I always wanted to stay at, at least once per resort. The Poly, the WL and the Contemporary. Luckily I got the chance to stay at the Poly and the WL before rates skyrocketed to increasingly insane levels in the last 7 years. Sadly I will not stay at the CR at these rates, not only because I consider them far too high but because I know for sure that the quality of WDW deluxe Resorts is mediocre at best. We had some issues with cleanliness and mousekeeping in the Poly, the AKL and even, would you believe it, the YC! I don't feel inclined to pay 400+ $ for mediocre service. Especially at the CR, which concerning theming is the weakest deluxe resort on property. This could change if they would give the CR a massive refurb and retheming, for years I've been telling people, that they should transform the CR in a TRON RESORT. Everything should be TRON style and you get the impression of staying in a virtual environment ( with the strong connection to the coming TRON coaster).

I love the idea of a Tron themed contemporary resort

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom