News Contemporary Refurbishment--April to Sept 2021

UNCgolf

I understand (and agree) that some of the incredibles touches are a little bit hitting you over the head. But I also recognize how darn easy it would be to eliminate them overnight. It would be two new decals, switching some throw pillows out, and a new window curtain. I *feel* like these rooms were made to be switched out easily in case of complaints.

The Incredibles touches are bad, but I think the rooms themselves are a design failure even without the Incredibles theming. They don't look like a deluxe hotel room. I'm repeating myself, but they look more like a potential Pop Century 50s themed room than a deluxe mid-century modern room.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
I understand (and agree) that some of the incredibles touches are a little bit hitting you over the head. But I also recognize how darn easy it would be to eliminate them overnight. It would be two new decals, switching some throw pillows out, and a new window curtain. I *feel* like these rooms were made to be switched out easily in case of complaints.
In that case I’ll add a request to my reservation to “please remove the decals”.😉

RSoxNo1

People can defend the incredibles all they want. But nobody that was paying $500 a night for these rooms ever left and complained that the incredibles weren’t in their room. I ask this question and have yet to hear a reasonable answer. Who is this for?

The good thing is, it’s just in the rooms. The lobby looks great.

nickys

Premium Member
People can defend the incredibles all they want. But nobody that was paying $500 a night for these rooms ever left and complained that the incredibles weren’t in their room. I ask this question and have yet to hear a reasonable answer. Who is this for?

The good thing is, it’s just in the rooms. The lobby looks great.
It’s also in the hallways.

But agreed, the lobby looks fantastic.

James Alucobond

Bathroom is actually quite nice, in my opinion. The decals, the flooring, the table, and the weird trim detailing on the blank wall all still look too cheap to me, though. Not a huge fan of the light wood tone of the rest of the furniture either, but I could live with it if it were properly offset by richer colors in a few more places. Would help balance out the rug and sofa as well.

Movielover

Bathroom is actually quite nice, in my opinion. The decals, the flooring, the table, and the weird trim detailing on the blank wall all still look too cheap to me, though. Not a huge fan of the light wood tone of the rest of the furniture either, but I could live with it if it were properly offset by richer colors in a few more places. Would help balance out the rug and sofa as well.
Agreed on the bathroom, really nice. What is really bugging me on the rooms themselves is the color difference between the different lights in the room. Half the LED's are a cool white, while the others have a more warm temperature which is really not blending well with the white color of the walls. Every time I see a picture I just want to turn on my Phillips Hue and fix it haha.

Bathrooms look fantastic. Love the overall style, shower, and monorail mirror.

Monorail lamps are cool too. Small thing I know, but I appreciate the shelf with plugs/ports on the bedsides. Every hotel should have these for accessible drinks, power, etc. Always nice to have innovative things in a 'futuristic' room.

Hard to tell if the overall vibe is cheap with the Incredibles - really need to get in there. Don't mind it in the closets and drawers (as a hidden touch), but definatley would have preferred sticking with the classic Contemporary theme throughout.

Maybe I'm being too picky, but not sure about the folding couch bed, I don't know what I'm looking for, but seems a step down/less cool and themed than the pull down twins at the poly, etc.

GimpYancIent

Is it just me or do these new rooms look smaller than then were pre-refresh? Contemporary had some of the biggest rooms on property and these look small. The old rooms had a huge workspace (which I liked to utilize when working remote or anything work related) Did they give that space to the bathrooms?
I am thinking the refurb committee decided the bathroom would be the focal point of each room and that guests would not care what the rest of the space looked / felt or fit like. keep the bathrooms gut the rest and redo the rooms to match the bathrooms.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Just want to point out again, in case anyone from WDW is reading:

All-glass shower stalls that are not in their own enclosed room is A REALLY BAD IDEA.

Friends, co-workers, and families share rooms, and not just romantic couples. And having a glass shower stall means completely blocking off the entire bathroom while your friend, co-worker, or parent is showering. So, no one can use the sink or vanity while someone is showering. That is so, so, so stupid.

nickys

Premium Member

All-glass shower stalls that are not in their own enclosed room is A REALLY BAD IDEA.

Friends, co-workers, and families share rooms, and not just romantic couples. And having a glass shower stall means completely blocking off the entire bathroom while your friend, co-worker, or parent is showering. So, no one can use the sink or vanity while someone is showering. That is so, so, so stupid.
Amen.

And the pictures of the new GFV studios and refurbed villas in the original building also have this all glass shower cubicle. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

UNCgolf

It's hard to believe that this either never crossed their mind or they didn't think it mattered.

It's a pretty big problem for a huge portion of their customer base, considering people's kids can't even use the bathroom while they're in the shower.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

I'm sorry, are you saying you'd take a #2 while your mom is in the shower as long as the shower has an opaque curtain?

It's hard to believe that this either never crossed their mind or they didn't think it mattered.

It's a pretty big problem for a huge portion of their customer base, considering people's kids can't even use the bathroom while they're in the shower.
You guys are weird. When I'm in the shower, the bathroom is *off limits* to anyone who isn't my wife, and it doesn't matter what sort of shower door or curtain is there.

UNCgolf

You guys are weird. When I'm in the shower, the bathroom is *off limits* to anyone who isn't my wife, and it doesn't matter what sort of shower door or curtain is there.

I think you didn't get his point -- it's the fact that the sink/vanity are all in the same room. Someone can't even brush their teeth while someone is showering, which is very different from someone taking a dump and can really delay getting out the door.

Some of the other Disney rooms have the shower/toilet behind a separate door. That would be okay, as would an actual curtain or opaque glass that lets someone use the sink.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And having a glass shower stall means completely blocking off the entire bathroom while your friend, co-worker, or parent is showering. So, no one can use the sink or vanity while someone is showering.That is so, so, so stupid.

I'm sorry, are you saying you'd take a #2 while your mom is in the shower as long as the shower has an opaque curtain?

Your family drops a log in the vanity?

Hope you tip Mousekeeping really well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom