News Contemporary Refurbishment--April to Sept 2021

UNCgolf

I think it's another example of Disney following current design trends without really thinking about their specific user base. A lot of high end hotels have bathrooms similar to the Contemporary bathrooms, but those hotels tend to serve solo travelers or couples. I'm sure they have some families etc. sharing rooms as well, but it's a much smaller percentage of the customer base than at WDW.

GimpYancIent

There is no rule that says a privacy curtain can not be installed inside the glass shower wall/door. To have a private separate alcove for the commode would need demo and restructuring of the space. I do not see Disney management being enthused to do that seeing this so called refurb is as far along as it is. To down grade the Contemporaries status from a Deluxe to a Moderate resort would be a step in the right direction rather than taking sledge, hammer and chisel to what has been done.

dreday3

There is no rule that says a privacy curtain can not be installed inside the glass shower wall/door. To have a private separate alcove for the commode would need demo and restructuring of the space. I do not see Disney management being enthused to do that seeing this so called refurb is as far along as it is. To down grade the Contemporaries status from a Deluxe to a Moderate resort would be a step in the right direction rather than taking sledge, hammer and chisel to what has been done.

I thought the toilet had a door you can close?

castlecake2.0

Just want to point out again, in case anyone from WDW is reading:

All-glass shower stalls that are not in their own enclosed room is A REALLY BAD IDEA.

Friends, co-workers, and families share rooms, and not just romantic couples. And having a glass shower stall means completely blocking off the entire bathroom while your friend, co-worker, or parent is showering. So, no one can use the sink or vanity while someone is showering. That is so, so, so stupid.
They did this in gran destino tower too! DISNEY WHY?!?! How do you not realize this while on the other hand DCL never shuts up about how clever their stateroom bathroom set up is?

carolina_yankee

I like a lot here. I would dial back The Incredibles a smidge and bring in a little more design variation. The closet is cute, but I think the Incredible themed drinks are bit much. I love the bathroom and the monorail stuff. I'm also not sure how much I like the bright red on the closet door. Wonder how comfortable the couch is to lean against without pillows!

nickys

Premium Member
I love the photos and wall art, chairs etc. The flooring? It might start making me dizzy after a while (or a drink or two 😜).

I will still miss the Wave breakfast. But other than that I’m beginning to come round to liking this make-over.

castlecake2.0

I've never seen a steakhouse so... well lit.
They should have called it RESTAURANT71 and not have limited themselves. I like it though, just need curtains in the windows between the bar and dining room, I don’t want the TV on in the background as I try to enjoy my dinner over TikTok

ETA they missed an opportunity to have a cool retro costume for this venue, unless the black pants and white shirt is temporary

GimpYancIent

A nice monorail station housed in a WDW original building that has so / so rooms w a nice renovated lobby and a freshly renovated restaurant that's about the extent of the story, so, why is this rated as a Deluxe resort?

Poseidon Quest

I'm usually so cynical when it comes to Disney refurbishments or replacing things that were already pretty good, but this space actively excites me. The food at The Wave was great and I still see that they managed to keep some items while also improving the overall décor. The celebration of the Mary Blair art style and monorails was what the rooms needed to be. I'm hoping that Disney will see what positive reception this new style is getting and can switch out the Incredibles nonsense for something more like this.

GimpYancIent

I'm obsessed with this new lobby. This is EVERYTHING I wanted from this project. Now let's get the 90s out of the concourse and add more Mary there, too! 😍
Glad you are totally into the lobby, however, guests are not going to be staying in the lobby. It's about the rooms! The now economy class rooms!

Disone

Glad you are totally into the lobby, however, guests are not going to be staying in the lobby. It's about the rooms! The now economy class rooms!
Well economy class is a bit much. They are large rooms. They have balconies. They have spacious bathrooms. Also as frustrating as the glass shower is I've noticed that many high-end hotels, including Walt Disney World's Four Seasons, do the same thing. I do hate the hardwood floors. No desk is not really an issue for me but I understand for others it is. I hate the hard wood floors..... those definitely add some credibility to your economy class comment but clearly is also the direction that WDW is taking all of their hotel rooms. Right wrong or indifferent they are clearly continuing air war against carpet.

JMcMahonEsq

Nice resort to visit, but not $800 / night nice.
If you are visiting with young children who have naps to contend with, and melt downs, and need a quick escape from the parks to re-group and re-charge, the 12min walk back to the Contemporary is worth every penny of the cost. And if you are traveling with younger children or even older members of a party that can't stay out to park close, the theme park view of the fire works is possibly the best feature of any Disney resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom