News Contemporary Refurbishment--April to Sept 2021

CaptainAmerica

I can’t disagree more. The Incredibles is literally an extension of the whole Contemporary aesthetic, especially the stylized end credits they’re drawing from. (Heck, Incredibles 2 literally has the heroes saving an actual monorail.) It belongs.

My only comment is I wish the stylized window arch had a bit less bezel - as it is, it gives the room a little too much of a pod feel. Which I guess is actually on-theme, especially when you think about how the original concept of the Contemporary rooms was that they could be removable pods, but it makes the rooms feel a little smaller. But I love the sleekness overall.
I don't dislike the inclusion of the Incredibles because I think they're off-theme, I dislike the inclusion of the Incredibles because I dislike the Incredibles.

ToTBellHop

I don't dislike the inclusion of the Incredibles because I think they're off-theme, I dislike the inclusion of the Incredibles because I dislike the Incredibles.
1632851771361.gif

1632851887182.jpeg

Ponderer

Ha! I mean, that’s fine, that’s valid, but that’s not exactly something that, you know, guides Disney decisions. I think castles are terrifying, classist and otherwise dreadful edifices, but I don’t think they’re gonna go tear down Cinderella’s castle based on my taste. :p

CaptainAmerica

I guess I don't see the Incredibles as hit-you-over-the-head in these rooms. I know it's there, but it's not staring at you like the Moana rooms.
Oooh I disagree strongly. Moana is part of the Polynesian and "Polynesian" is, itself, a theme. "Contemporary" isn't a theme, and never has been. The ONLY theme is "Incredibles."

Maui is an actual myth/legend in Polynesian culture. Tattoos are an actual part of Polynesian culture. Everything about the Incredibles is *specific* to the Incredibles.

aliceismad

Oooh I disagree strongly. Moana is part of the Polynesian and "Polynesian" is, itself, a theme. "Contemporary" isn't a theme, and never has been. The ONLY theme is "Incredibles."
I agree that Moana fits in well with the Poly.

I think the contemporary has an aesthetic, if not a "theme." It's a mid-century take on futuristic/modern, and I think Incredibles fits into that. Also, there are details in the rooms specific to the Incredibles, but I don't get overt THIS IS INCREDIBLES in the rooms.

CaptainAmerica

I agree that Moana fits in well with the Poly.

I think the contemporary has an aesthetic, if not a "theme." It's a mid-century take on futuristic/modern, and I think Incredibles fits into that. Also, there are details in the rooms specific to the Incredibles, but I don't get overt THIS IS INCREDIBLES in the rooms.
I think I was on board with the rooms until I saw that they also took over all of the wall art in the hallways. That's what really turned me off on the project.

1632854368351.png

This just screams "The Incredibles Hotel at Disney's Contemporary Resort."

I'm fine with the Incredibles pictures in the hallways - but I'm going to have to reserve judgement on the rooms until I get inside. IP in top tier resort rooms really has to be treaded carefully to avoid giving off the vibe of a value/moderate.

The new lobby is a home run IMO - probably the best thing Disney has done this year. Now they need to revamp the grand canyon concourse to bring back the classic feel....vs the current 90s mall esthetic that has crept in. This hotel should be a celebration of classic WDW!

aliceismad

I think I was on board with the rooms until I saw that they also took over all of the wall art in the hallways. That's what really turned me off on the project.

This just screams "The Incredibles Hotel at Disney's Contemporary Resort."
Interesting.
Until you open the closet door.
That's true. The inside of the closet and drawer are very Incredibles, as are the throw pillows and one piece of art. But the closet and drawer feel similarly to other touches in resorts, like the murals in the pull-down beds. IDK. I guess if I hated the franchise I'd be disappointed and stay elsewhere.

nickys

Premium Member
Interesting.

That's true. The inside of the closet and drawer are very Incredibles, as are the throw pillows and one piece of art. But the closet and drawer feel similarly to other touches in resorts, like the murals in the pull-down beds. IDK. I guess if I hated the franchise I'd be disappointed and stay elsewhere.
The thing that is incomprehensible to me is that this is one of Disney’s convention hotels. Is this what a convention hotel room looks like. Apart from the Incredibles theme, there is also nowhere to work or set up a lap top.

Disney Analyst

10/10 aesthetic, absolutely nailed. Completely destroyed by the inclusion of the Incredibles characters.

Honestly, it’s a nice clean mid-century modern space: which is my aesthetic.

The IP touches in the room are mostly subtle except for the closet and inside the drawers, which I think was their way of abiding by the higher ups demanding IP, and imagineers hiding the biggest offenders. Honestly, I’m not upset. Most people will not be sitting with the closet open staring inside…

A generally nice refresh, and an amazing lobby.

Ponderer

Maui is an actual myth/legend in Polynesian culture. Tattoos are an actual part of Polynesian culture. Everything about the Incredibles is *specific* to the Incredibles.

Brad Bird is trying to capture theme of Disney modernist-futurism in every design choice he made in The Incredibles (and for that matter, Tomorrowland). I get that you don’t like The Incredibles and that’s fine, but the same design sensibility of original Tomorrowland, Disney’s 50s science specials, and finally the Contemporary is *undeniably* baked into the Brad Bird aesthetic. (And for that matter, the Mary Blair design sense that’s also key to the Contemporary was absolutely integrated into the end-credits of Ratatouille.) Those choices were a lot more specific than the Polynesia nods in Moana. Now it’s full-circle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom