Contemporary or Polynesian

jjoy22

Hello everyone! First time poster but I have been lurking for a couple of years now. My family is planning a trip for Thanksgiving 2007. Right now it is between Contemporary and Poly. A few friends have come back recently from the World. They said that the Contemp is finished with renovation and is the most kid friendly of the hotels. The post I saw a few weeks ago shows renovation just beginning and it seems like the purpose is to make it more convention friendly. Does anyone have an update of the renovation?

They also said that bugs are so bad outside at the Poly right now that Disney is requesting that guests don't spend alot of time walking the grounds at night. Is this a summer thing or is it because of all the plants and water around the Poly?

Any help would be appreciated!

Pluto_is_my_fav

We were at the Contemporary last October...renovations to our Tower room were complete and it was great! The Contemporary definitely has a convention center feel to it, but I still get the "I'm in the center of the World" feel everytime I'm in the lobby of the tower.

For kids, its definitely great b/c you can walk to MK. For adults staying in the tower alone, Chef Mickey's is LOUD!!!!

We are going to the Poly this December...hopefully there won't be the bug problem then :)

Upvote 0

sbkline

I've never stayed at either and probably don't have the money to ever plan to stay at either. But if I were going to stay at one, I think I'd pick the Polynesian Resort.

Upvote 0

vmkaddict

I've stayed at the Poly many times.....love it :kiss: love it :kiss: love it:kiss:. If possible, get a Cinderella castle view....unbeatable. What a sight to see in the morning and a great place to watch fireworks at night. Did I mention that I LOVE IT:kiss:?:wave:

Upvote 0

poohbear6103

I have never stayed at the Contemporary since I always stay at the Poly, but I have visited many times during our stays for food and shopping.
I am sure the renovations have made the Contemporary nice but there just isn't a whole lot of theming which is something that I at least enjoy. There were many times by the pool at the Poly that I felt I was in Hawaii. This makes for a romantic setting for couples, but the hotel in general is very kid friendly as well. The location can't be beat (especially for fireworks and castle views) and they have great restaurants right at your finger tips.
I could have sworn that I saw pictures of the lobby being redone at the Contemporary just a few days ago on here. Not sure if that will continue while you are there. And as for a bug problem, I can safely say that I have never been bit at the Poly. Maybe I am just lucky but I never bring insecticide with me anywhere I go at Disney and have never had a problem.
If those ar your two choices, you have narrowed it down to 2 of the best so I am sure you will have a wonderful time, whichever you choose :wave:

Upvote 0

madkallemeyn

We have stayed at both within the last year, Contemporary without our children for our aniversary, and at the Poly with our children... Both are great choices but we feel the contemporary to be more institutional.

The Poly was great fun for all of us, the kids loved both pools... The Volcano pool with slide was by far the fav...

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Theming of the Poly truly makes you feel like you are somewhere else. Contemporary is just a nice hotel. Major benefit I see to Contemporary is you can walk to MK.

Upvote 0

swimmom

If I has to chose between these two, I would stay at the Polynesian. I prefer the theming at the resorts that transport you to somewhere else i.e. Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge. The Contemporary just doesn't give me that feeling. The Contemporary does however give that I'm at WDW feeling!!! :)

Upvote 0

MainSt1993

I have to agree with most of the posters here and suggest the Poly. The Contemporary, it's theme feels like a Disney Store. Other than that generic Disney theme, I feel like I could be at any Hilton or Sheraton. The Poly is more of an escape from reality of the two.

Upvote 0

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
They also said that bugs are so bad outside at the Poly right now that Disney is requesting that guests don't spend alot of time walking the grounds at night. Is this a summer thing or is it because of all the plants and water around the Poly?

If this has any merit to it whatsoever I'm sure that it's only temporary and the problem will be resolved by WDW staff very quickly. I wouldn't let it influence your stay at all.

Be sure to let us know what you pick! :wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom