Contemporary Demolition Permit Filed

PKD

i think what upsets me the most is that this tower will most likely be visible from all of if not most of magic kingdom. that totally defeats the purpose of why the magic kingdom is where it is and the thousands of acres that surround it. I guess DVC feels that few more extra units and the $ that goes with it is more important than some of the magic that MK is supposed to give. Nevermind escapeism and being transcended,,,now i guess it's all about having that damn tower being forced into your sights no matter where you are so maybe one day you can "own a piece" of it.

I don't understand this post as you can see the main tower from most of the park. If your at the castle and turnaround you can easily see the A-frame tower in the background.

mayoki

I don't understand this post as you can see the main tower from most of the park. If your at the castle and turnaround you can easily see the A-frame tower in the background.

According to the Imagineeers Guide, the reason for the only full size building on mainstreet(cant remember name, on right as you walk in) was to hide the contemporary resort.

PKD

According to the Imagineeers Guide, the reason for the only full size building on mainstreet(cant remember name, on right as you walk in) was to hide the contemporary resort.

Which does help to hide it at times, but it's a tower that can be seen from places in the park, which isn't to often really. I don't think the new DVC building will be any worse then what we currently can see from inside MK. (Think the Soarin' building @ Epcot, you don't really notice it unless you "look" for it)

prberk

The North Garden Wing was by far the best kept secret of the monorail hotels. They were the cheapest rooms on the monorail track, views of magic kingdom from your patio, and the closest to the magic kingdom. I stayed in the north wing many times with my AP discount, you can't beat it, it was the best deal ever.

You are exactly right, and I did the same thing. First floor rooms were the best, because you could open your sliding glass patio door and step out and feed the ducks walking by, in front of Bay Lake.

Here is a picture from just outside of my patio, about 5 years ago...

Paul

Attachments

• Weeping Willow beach.jpg
    Weeping Willow beach.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 83

BonzoAPD

Are they really getting rid of the Contemporary Resort? I have always wanted to stay there and thought that it is still one of the coolest hotels Disney has. Why would they do this.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Are they really getting rid of the Contemporary Resort? I have always wanted to stay there and thought that it is still one of the coolest hotels Disney has. Why would they do this.

No, the main tower will stay, it's only the north wing that is the topic of discussion.

The plans, as we know them now, are to demolish the north wing and build a Disney Vacation Club tower in it's place.

The Contemporary Resort, as most people know it, will NOT change. :wave:

jmvd20

No, the main tower will stay, it's only the north wing that is the topic of discussion.

The plans, as we know them now, are to demolish the north wing and build a Disney Vacation Club tower in it's place.

The Contemporary Resort, as most people know it, will NOT change. :wave:

I've been away from the boards for a while now, is this actually happening or merely rumor/speculation?

Scooter

I've been away from the boards for a while now, is this actually happening or merely rumor/speculation?

As of now (10/30/06) it is merely a rumor.

I'm going to be staying at The Contemporary Resort in 10 days and I'll try to dig up some more concrete evidence about this rumor.
Personally, I think it's just a rehab.

Lee

Adventurer
Yeah...ya know what they say bout a not just being a river in Egypt....

There's much more than a refurb coming.
Ain't no refurb in history that required construction of a whole staging area like what is going in at Stolport. That alone signifies much more than a refurb.

That...plus folks in the know that have flat out told me that the north wing is coming down.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yeah...ya know what they say bout a not just being a river in Egypt....
There's much more than a refurb coming.
Ain't no refurb in history that required construction of a whole staging area like what is going in at Stolport. That alone signifies much more than a refurb.

That...plus folks in the know that have flat out told me that the north wing is coming down.
I don't get it either. With all the evidence that has gotten out it is either a full demolition or the most elaborate Disney snow job since Walt purchased the land in Florida.

Do you think people will still be saying refurb when the crane with the big steel ball shows up?

jmvd20

General demo is not a permit for a full demo of the whole building.

Correct, but my opinion is that the document posted here is for asbestos/hazardous material removal. Any of these substances have to be taken out of a structure prior to it being razed.

Lee, Master Yoda - Thanks for the clarification about demo/refurb on the North Wing. I haven't been on the boards for a while and was too lazy to look up any other threads on the subject.

PKD

Correct, but my opinion is that the document posted here is for asbestos/hazardous material removal. Any of these substances have to be taken out of a structure prior to it being razed.

I don't know much about the inner workings of the permits, but would they need a permit to remove the asbestos and then another one for the demo itself?

I would hate to be the admin worker for a county/city records office. WAY to much paper work, hard copy or electric! lol

jmvd20

I don't know much about the inner workings of the permits, but would they need a permit to remove the asbestos and then another one for the demo itself?

I would hate to be the admin worker for a county/city records office. WAY to much paper work, hard copy or electric! lol

And then permits for the foundations, electrical, heating...... Its really quite fun :rolleyes: I deal with them just about everyday, should be dealing with permits right now for work but hey - I can at least tell them I am talking about permits right?

I did get this somewhat off topic but... If the North wing contains asbestos that would have to be removed prior to them taking the rest of the structure down, due to EPA and health regulations. Therefore, permits required for both phases.

All I was trying to say in my original comment is that the document in this thread is vague and based upon that alone it neither proves nor diproves that the entire wing will come down. It could be for a wide variety of things, however based upon some of the posts above it is most likely the first step relating to the demise of the North Wing.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
All I was trying to say in my original comment is that the document in this thread is vague and based upon that alone it neither proves nor diproves that the entire wing will come down. It could be for a wide variety of things, however based upon some of the posts above it is most likely the first step relating to the demise of the North Wing.

The most important part being that for the South Wing, a similiar document was filed, but it stated for Refurbishment/Upgrades - not Demolition.

Epcot82Guy

First time ever I wish budget cuts would reduce the size of something!:lol:

Seriously, though, I like the idea of taking down that tower and replacing it. I just with it was something that would complement the original tower's size and maintain it as the focus (similar to how it seems DAKL will be). It's literally a height and shape thing (I think they can be more creative than the traditional courtyard condo tower).

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I don't get it either. With all the evidence that has gotten out it is either a full demolition or the most elaborate Disney snow job since Walt purchased the land in Florida.

Do you think people will still be saying refurb when the crane with the big steel ball shows up?

I can almost guarantee it !! :wave: :lol:

POOHKILLEDTOAD

Ok this has probably been brought up in all the other threads about the discussion of this permit and the rumored DVC replacement/addition to Contemporary, but where are all these people going to park? If the artwork and rumors are correct, Disney will replace a 3 story hotel with a 15 story hotel, likely adding a large number of rooms. CR already has a shortage of parking, where are they going to stick all the extra guests coming to the Contemporary Villas?

well, there goes the tennis courts:D

RETLAW

I know that this wouldnt make $$$ since; but has anyone ever thought that maybe Disney is tearing down the wing, and isnt planning on building DVC. Maybe the new tower is going to replace to current tower,or maybe they are planning a large scale spa expansion at the CR, or maybe nothing out all. Just got tired of all the complaints from that wing. Just a thought

:lol: :lol:

minnie61650

I know that this wouldnt make $$$ since; but has anyone ever thought that maybe Disney is tearing down the wing, and isnt planning on building DVC. Maybe the new tower is going to replace to current tower,or maybe they are planning a large scale spa expansion at the CR, or maybe nothing out all. Just got tired of all the complaints from that wing. Just a thought

:lol: :lol:

I think the property where the North Wing now sits is a very prime piece of real estate. Lake property especially at WDW has to be extremely valuable.
If the Wing comes down I am sure Disney will replace it with something of equal or more square footage than was already there.
Maybe they will just rebuild a new wing. Maybe they will build all Suites.
Maybe they will build a new tower which be additional rooms for CR.
Maybe they will build a DVC at CR.
Time will tell.
JMHO

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom