Contemporary Demolition Permit Filed

dvcnut39

Original Poster
Hopefully this has not been addressed here. I just found this on touringplans.com. "Since the walls have gone up around the North Garden Wing at the Contemporary Resort there has been some debate as to wether or not the work was for refurbishment akin to the South Garden Wing or demolition to allow for the building of a DVC resort.

Disney filed papers for demolition."

They also provided this link-
http://officialrecords.occompt.com/...id=28416718&file_num=20060665893&doc_status=V

Did anyone else here anything else?

will_rogers

i think what upsets me the most is that this tower will most likely be visible from all of if not most of magic kingdom. that totally defeats the purpose of why the magic kingdom is where it is and the thousands of acres that surround it. I guess DVC feels that few more extra units and the $ that goes with it is more important than some of the magic that MK is supposed to give. Nevermind escapeism and being transcended,,,now i guess it's all about having that damn tower being forced into your sights no matter where you are so maybe one day you can "own a piece" of it.

wolf359

Well, the original intent was for the hotels TO be seen beyond the park boundries, as an extention of that land's theme.

For the first four years the MK was open the Contemporary Tower was plainly visible out beyond Tomorrowland, until Space Mountain was built.

Epcot82Guy

I agree, although with views from the MK comes views into the MK. I think 15 stories is too much. I think this may be a bit too much saturation, especially since this is a true condo tower. It's not the typical DVC resort. I think that may be a turn off since people can get the same thing anywhere in FL. I would much prefer an 8-story S shape than the 15 C, but too late. The spreadsheets have spoken.

minnie61650

Hopefully this has not been addressed here. I just found this on touringplans.com. "Since the walls have gone up around the North Garden Wing at the Contemporary Resort there has been some debate as to wether or not the work was for refurbishment akin to the South Garden Wing or demolition to allow for the building of a DVC resort.

http://officialrecords.occompt.com/...id=28416718&file_num=20060665893&doc_status=V

Thanks for the updated info!

I have been waiting for 15 years for Disney to build a DVC with access to the monorail.

If they do build a DVC at CR I will buy there.

Time will tell.

I am still hoping!

Marge10369

I guess I'm confused the paper states "The undersigned hereby gives notice that improvement will be made to certain real property..." Did I miss where it states it's a permit for demolition?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I guess I'm confused the paper states "The undersigned hereby gives notice that improvement will be made to certain real property..." Did I miss where it states it's a permit for demolition?

Line # 2. General description of improvement. Abatement and general demolition work

valorus

Demolition covers a wide range of activities from things like removal of interior walls to a complete tear down. So the permit does not necessarily mean the the Wing is going. Additionally, given the fact it is coupled with abatement in the description of work this permit is probably just for asbestos removal.

aroyston

North Wing

The North Garden Wing was by far the best kept secret of the monorail hotels. They were the cheapest rooms on the monorail track, views of magic kingdom from your patio, and the closest to the magic kingdom. I stayed in the north wing many times with my AP discount, you can't beat it, it was the best deal ever.

Moustronaut

If it is the same height as the existing contemporary tower how will it be more visible than the original? Other than the train ride,tta and walking through parts of tomorrowland you can't see the contemporary now.
http://www.screamscape.com/html/wdw_-_contempdvc_0.htm
Ok this has probably been brought up in all the other threads about the discussion of this permit and the rumored DVC replacement/addition to Contemporary, but where are all these people going to park? If the artwork and rumors are correct, Disney will replace a 3 story hotel with a 15 story hotel, likely adding a large number of rooms. CR already has a shortage of parking, where are they going to stick all the extra guests coming to the Contemporary Villas?

dvcnut39

Original Poster
Ok this has probably been brought up in all the other threads about the discussion of this permit and the rumored DVC replacement/addition to Contemporary, but where are all these people going to park? If the artwork and rumors are correct, Disney will replace a 3 story hotel with a 15 story hotel, likely adding a large number of rooms. CR already has a shortage of parking, where are they going to stick all the extra guests coming to the Contemporary Villas?

If you look just north and/or west of the tennis courts there's plenty of room for the extra parking. Another place for a parking lot could be just west of the already existing Contemporary's parking lot and N World Dr. They sort of have parking like that at their Vero Beach Resort. Just a thought.

I for one consider myself, for the most part, a Disney traditionalist, but for some reason, I am very much looking forward to the new DVC tower.

mousermerf

Account Suspended

Some hotels have parking in garages which make up their lower levels.

will_rogers

If it is the same height as the existing contemporary tower how will it be more visible than the original? Other than the train ride,tta and walking through parts of tomorrowland you can't see the contemporary now.
http://www.screamscape.com/html/wdw_-_contempdvc_0.htm

Well, kinda, you can see it from Liberty Square and parts of main street since they killed some trees a few years ago. ALso keep in mind that the new tower is going to be next to the tower where now you see nothing but sky. If you can barely see the N corner of the orginal tower, what happenes when you put something that size slightly north? you see THAT. I hope that made sense...

socalkdg

Well, kinda, you can see it from Liberty Square and parts of main street since they killed some trees a few years ago. ALso keep in mind that the new tower is going to be next to the tower where now you see nothing but sky. If you can barely see the N corner of the orginal tower, what happenes when you put something that size slightly north? you see THAT. I hope that made sense...
Yes it does, but from most other spots in the MK you won't notice it at all. When looking at the Contemporary from inside the MK most of the time the area immediately to the left of the Contemporary is blocked by either Space Mountain or trees. I think any new addition will be seen less often then the current Contemporary tower.

jmvd20

Abatement and General Demolition is normally not the wording used for the complete demolition of a structure. This type of wording is typically used for refurbishment (interior alteration) work. The document provided does not confirm, or deny that the entire structure will be removed.

As another person has mentioned it could be for asbestos removal though that is usually specifically listed, however some jurisdictions consider it as abatement without a specific reference. If they are going to remove the entire wing and it contains asbestos, this would be the first step in the demolition process.

All of that aside I sure hope a 15 story tower does not go up in that space though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom