Contemporary Conundrum

WellFedDave

After staying at the Contemporary I didn't feel it was sterile...it was just more along the lines of staying at one of the "good neighbor" hotels near Downtown Disney. It's void of theme, which isn't always a bad thing.
Would I stay in it over Poly or GF, probably not, but that's just me.
But in a way, the Contemporary does have its own vibe going for it. It truly is a piece of Disney Imagineering history.

Maryssa*

While everyone has their own tastes and aesthetics, it sounds to me like you are going in expecting to be disappointed. In my opinion, you should stay somewhere you know you will LOVE. And you can always go to the Contemporary to eat and shop!

jmargarone27

I know exactly how you're feeling right now. I am a diehard GF fan, but have stayed at the Contemporary, Polynesian, Beach Club, Boardwalk, and will be staying at Yacht Club in October. Especially when I was at the Polynesian (I despise it...sorry Poly fans!) and the Contemporary (not too bad), I was kicking myself for not being at the GF. The Epcot resorts are a different story because it's a whole different experience over there...one that I do enjoy. But the GF really is the best (by far) Magic Kingdom monorail resort. I wouldn't send my dog to the Polynesian and I would probably not stay at the Contemporary again unless it meant not going to Disney.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I know exactly how you're feeling right now. I am a diehard GF fan, but have stayed at the Contemporary, Polynesian, Beach Club, Boardwalk, and will be staying at Yacht Club in October. Especially when I was at the Polynesian (I despise it...sorry Poly fans!) and the Contemporary (not too bad), I was kicking myself for not being at the GF. The Epcot resorts are a different story because it's a whole different experience over there...one that I do enjoy. But the GF really is the best (by far) Magic Kingdom monorail resort. I wouldn't send my dog to the Polynesian and I would probably not stay at the Contemporary again unless it meant not going to Disney.

Jeez, tell us how you really feel;). Just for the record I would not send my dog to the Polynesian either. Why would I spend $600 on the dog when I could board him at the kennel down the street for $35;)

Brickcity Pauly

I'm thinking about booking the Contempo/POFQ split for my next trip in February. I have never stayed at a Deluxe resort. What price can I expeect for a MK view room at the contempo? Would I be better suited going to a different Deluxe resort? Again, I've never been to a Deluxe, so for the $ being spent, I'd like to make the "right" choice. It would just be me and my 12 year old daughter, who likes to spend at least an hour a day at the pool.

xderkax

I defnitely agree with you in terms of the "Sterile" feel, it just seems like it lacks that special Disney touch that all the other resorts generally tend to have. I mean it lacks a real theme. BLT is awesome, kind of breaks away from the sterile feel a bit.

copcarguyp71

I can not justify the cost of the Contemporary.
Stayed there once, enjoyed it but it is too expensive for me to return.

Hoping for copious bouncebacks when we stay at CSR in September this year for October 2014 so we can justify it but I too feel your pain on this. If we do it we are going to go big and do theme park view...go big or not at all on this resort for us.

worldtraveler

I have to ask why you feel this way about the Poly. You can send me a pm if you feel. Just curious as to why you despise the place that much.

Jim Chandler

I like all the resorts at WDW I have stayed at and actually there are few I have not stayed at. I have preferences like the GF or Port Orleans or AK. The Contemp. is built on straight lines, stainless steel, mirrors and for some used to the Poly it would be a major difference. However I have stayed at the BLT with a 3 bedroom facing the MK. It was a great stay for the family not me because I got the flu.
I like what one said about dating one beauty and not thinking another.
Try it.
It may work and may not. But do not--- not try it because you think you might not like it or some one else did not.

Disneykidder

Location, location, location. That's what this resort has. Its proximity to the MK is fabulous. If you are concerned with it being to much with the public then stay in the BLT part. It is quieter.

We will be staying at BLT this summer for the first time in a MK view and splitting with AKL Savanna view. We wanted to experience two resorts that we haven't yet to discover before. You can always split with the Poly, if you are so drawn to it. But as others have said, if you are really not into it, then don't stay there just so you can say you stayed in there. But, I think you should at least give it a shot once. Every family/person is different and it may surprise you. Nobody would ever stay on site if we listened to everyone. To each their own.

Skibum1970

What's up my peeps?

So, as you can tell by my signature, we like to stay at all different resorts. Which to me means, at some point, we have to stay at the Contemporary. As soon as I can book summer 2014, I am going to. But the question is, should we stay there. I think the rooms look nice, and I would definitely spring for a MK Tower view. I've always liked the outside of the building and the fact that the monorail runs through it. But there are many things about it I don't like.

-Sterile feel of public areas.
-Escalators in hotel.
-Monorail, convenient as it is, is really only good for Epcot, and for it, the Polynesian is much more convenient. However, we've stayed there numerous times and I understand next year there will be lots of construction.

But being Disney die-hards, we want to stay at every resort. My fear is, sitting on the balcony looking over to 2 beautifully themed resorts (Poly and GF) and regretting not staying there.

Can anyone feel my resort pain, of wanting to stay someplace but being worried about it?

A bit late to the party on this but I feel that pain anytime that I'm thinking of booking away from PORS or Wilderness Lodge. I stayed in the Garden Wing of the Contemporary about five years ago and loved it. The furnishings are not truly sterile but do fit the theme of being contemporary. Plus, I loved being able to walk to the MK and having the monorail right there. It has a different feel to it but that feels, for me, screams WDW. I would eagerly sign on for another stay if it wasn't so expensive.

emcclay

It is a beautiful resort to be at in the morning and at night. Ever since I was younger, I was fascinated with CR. You cannot beat the location. I love being able to walk over to the MK :)

Don't knock it 'til you try it!

pixargal

That's why I want to stay there. Sadly, that's the only reason I really want to stay there.
This is the reason my family stayed here a few years ago. I remember going through the Contemporary when I was around 8 years old, back in the mid 70s. I was so fascinated, I had never seen anything so impressive. I am glad we stayed there, the CMs are some of the best on property, but probably won't stay there again. It is not our taste. However, we are DVC owners, so BLT, is not out of the question. BTW, have you looked into renting points to stay at BLT?

MickeyPeace

It's not about being beat over the head with characters. Aside from hidden Mickey's, you aren't beat over the head with characters at any of the other Deluxe Resorts. The issue with the Contemporary, I think for many people, is that it looks (and feels) similar to a nice hotel they have located somewhere in a nearby major city. I was reading the Complete Guide to WDW and this bit really stood out to me:

It's on the monorail line, it has comfortable rooms and a character meal, but overall this Deluxe Resort still fails to deliver a magical Disney experience. An abundance of glass, carpet and sprayed concrete lends an impersonal feel to most public areas, while the resort's restaurants are pricey and the pools plain. Each guestroom has a modern Asian theme, but the rest of the resort seems more like a coldhearted office straight from the 1970's.

Sadly, that is always the feeling when we go there, which we do every trip to go to Chef Mickey's. I just hoped my feeling upon visiting would not be on target while staying there.

Sounds like you're letting the negative opinion of one person poison your thinking. You've never tried it. Book a room and make your own opinion after you've stayed.

PolynesianPrincess

I'd suggest a split stay (if that appeals to you. Some people cringe at the thought of having to change resorts) Stay at the Contemp first and then maybe the Poly or Beach Club? We are staying at BLT this September on rented DVC points. Contemp is one of my top 5 resorts to stay at, but we're nervous about spending that kind of money. So we figure we will give BLT at try st a MUCH lower price than we would payinf for the Contemp and see how we like it. If we don't like it, problem solved, we won't shell out the money for the Contemp. Someday, I'll get to the Poly..... :)

captainkidd

Original Poster
This is the reason my family stayed here a few years ago. I remember going through the Contemporary when I was around 8 years old, back in the mid 70s. I was so fascinated, I had never seen anything so impressive. I am glad we stayed there, the CMs are some of the best on property, but probably won't stay there again. It is not our taste. However, we are DVC owners, so BLT, is not out of the question. BTW, have you looked into renting points to stay at BLT?

Would never rent at BLT. We were given a tour of it last year and absolutely hated it.

pixargal

Would never rent at BLT. We were given a tour of it last year and absolutely hated it.
Yes, I have heard that people either love it or hate it. I would recommend doing a split stay and at least staying a few nights at the Contemporary. It is a classic and should be experienced, if you can afford it.

LoveDiz

I felt the same way before we booked our trip to the Contempory. We had stayed at WL, GF, Poly, POR and Carribean Beach in the past. I was worried that the Contempory was lacking the Disney "theme" that the other resorts had. It was actually one of our best trips! There's something about being in one of the original resorts. The rooms were larger than any of the other standard rooms at the other resorts which was nice. We did get upgraded to a tower room overlooking the pool which was awesome! We loved the short walk to MK also. We are planning on booking our next trip and staying at the Contempory spring break 2014.
Given you have stayed at so many other resorts, I think you should give this one a try...you won't be disappointed!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom