Contemporary Conundrum

Jessica Meier

We are staying there in September and I am really excited! The convenience factor alone is worth a shot for one stay. We have never stayed at any of the deluxe resorts, only stayed at Pop. Our only concern is that we will miss the over the top theme. Put you only live once. You never know, it may become your fave resort!

HouCuseChickie

Personally, I adore the Contemporary. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Where one person sees sterile, I see architecture built on modern styled lines to take your eyes in different directions. I also see Mary Blair's mural and her art just screams Disney to me. I like the new refurbs, and the rooms are nice and spacious. While I have not stayed at the Poly, I've made that walk to the TTC, and maybe it's because the kids were being crabby that morning, but it honestly felt easier when we've come from the Contemporary. And I seem to recall that you like WL, so that's at least an easy boat ride away for a visit. At the very least...give it a try, be positive, and if you don't wind up liking it...you can at least cross it off your list.

Violet

We are staying there in September and I am really excited! The convenience factor alone is worth a shot for one stay. We have never stayed at any of the deluxe resorts, only stayed at Pop. Our only concern is that we will miss the over the top theme. Put you only live once. You never know, it may become your fave resort!

The convenience to MK is amazing, being able to walk back and forth so quickly, can't beat it!

Violet

Personally, I adore the Contemporary. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Where one person sees sterile, I see architecture built on modern styled lines to take your eyes in different directions. I also see Mary Blair's mural and her art just screams Disney to me. I like the new refurbs, and the rooms are nice and spacious.

I liked the theming too, I think it's very Disney. We visited other deluxes (WL and the Poly) and I didn't like the theming there as much, although they are beautifully done. I found the simple, modern theming relaxing after being in the parks all day, but that is probably a personal preference.

luv

I am not a fan of the Contemporary. Like you, I don't like the public areas. I don't like a lot of stuff there. But I am a sucker for kids I love and they frequently want to stay there, so off I go.

I don't get the MK view if I can help it. I think the water view is much prettier. And I like to sit on the balcony and watch the EWP. :) You are close to Chef Mickey and it is nice to be the first stop on the monorail when leaving the MK. The rooms are better than they used to be, back in the day when they had all those colors (and that multi-green chair). One of the gift shops is pretty decent. And by Disney standards, the rooms are a good size.

It isn't horrible or anything, but I still, given the choice, would rather stay elsewhere. I do understand about wanting to check hotels off your list, though!! BTDT!!

Have a good stay!

Jessica Meier

I am not a fan of the Contemporary. Like you, I don't like the public areas. I don't like a lot of stuff there. But I am a sucker for kids I love and they frequently want to stay there, so off I go.

I don't get the MK view if I can help it. I think the water view is much prettier. And I like to sit on the balcony and watch the EP. :) You are close to Chef Mickey and it is nice to be the first stop on the monorail when leaving the MK. The rooms are better than they used to be, back in the day when they had all those colors (and that multi-green chair). One of the gift shops is pretty decent. And by Disney standards, the rooms are a good size.

It isn't horrible or anything, but I still, given the choice would rather stay elsewhere. I do understand about wanting to check hotels off your list, though!! BTDT!!

Have a good stay!
Have you ever stayed in one of the deluxe garden wing rooms? We are staying in one in September and wondered if they were worth the extra money.

HouCuseChickie

Have you ever stayed in one of the deluxe garden wing rooms? We are staying in one in September and wondered if they were worth the extra money.

There are a couple of nice walk throughs on YouTube and Easy WDW recently did a write up on them. They look nice to me and I know some consider them a great value (as far as deluxe things go). I believe they are cheaper than a tower bl view, but are noticeably larger than any other tower or garden wing room. Many also have water views.

wolf359

I love the Contemporary. During my visit I thought the hotel was very well run and every Cast Member really went out of their way to provide a deluxe experience.

I've read that the Contemporary is "sterile" or "unmagical" so many times I've lost count, but I've never felt that way. It doesn't go out of its way to beat you over the head with characters but I've never been one to find character overload particularly magical either. I think the public spaces are just as unique as any other one of Disney's resorts just in a, well, contemporary way. The rooms are tasteful and very high quality and having the Magic Kingdom panoramic view from the balcony of the room is amazing any time of day.

Convenience is another plus, though the Magic Kingdom is clearly the biggest benefit. Being able to walk from the MK at closing time is a huge time saver. The one drawback is that I found the bus transportation to be sluggish more so than any other resort I've stayed at.

captainkidd

Original Poster
I've read that the Contemporary is "sterile" or "unmagical" so many times I've lost count, but I've never felt that way. It doesn't go out of its way to beat you over the head with characters but I've never been one to find character overload particularly magical either. I think the public spaces are just as unique as any other one of Disney's resorts just in a, well, contemporary way. The rooms are tasteful and very high quality and having the Magic Kingdom panoramic view from the balcony of the room is amazing any time of day.

It's not about being beat over the head with characters. Aside from hidden Mickey's, you aren't beat over the head with characters at any of the other Deluxe Resorts. The issue with the Contemporary, I think for many people, is that it looks (and feels) similar to a nice hotel they have located somewhere in a nearby major city. I was reading the Complete Guide to WDW and this bit really stood out to me:

It's on the monorail line, it has comfortable rooms and a character meal, but overall this Deluxe Resort still fails to deliver a magical Disney experience. An abundance of glass, carpet and sprayed concrete lends an impersonal feel to most public areas, while the resort's restaurants are pricey and the pools plain. Each guestroom has a modern Asian theme, but the rest of the resort seems more like a coldhearted office straight from the 1970's.

Sadly, that is always the feeling when we go there, which we do every trip to go to Chef Mickey's. I just hoped my feeling upon visiting would not be on target while staying there.

Violet

I think that's what I liked about it, the simplicity. I found the decor and theming relaxing. It also smells amazing :)

I have friends who say the same thing about the Swan & Dolphin, they like it because it's not overtly themed.

Freshee61

Okay the contemporary is the BEST! This sterile talk that people mention is hogwash.
Poly is dark and gf is tacky! IMO.
Obviously cr is my favorite resort because it looks great, smells great, all the rooms are nice(even staying at the wings which I've done mk view and wings), the location can not be beat, and the monorail goes through it.
Hope you enjoy your stay if you go for it!

luv

70s, absolutely. Office, kinda...but my doctors' offices have a much prettier lobby than the Contemporary.

But if you haven't been there, you should stay there, just to check it off your list! And then you never have to go back!!

captainkidd

Original Poster
70s, absolutely. Office, kinda...but my doctors' offices have a much prettier lobby than the Contemporary.

But if you haven't been there, you should stay there, just to check it off your list! And then you never have to go back!!

Lots of money just to check it off the list. That's what I'm wrestling with.

Violet

Thinking more, honestly, I don't think you should stay there, or anywhere, just to check it off your list. Maybe, instead, spend a few hours there, have dinner, walk around the lobby, get dessert, watch Wishes from the 4th floor deck, shop at the gift shop, go sit and watch the movie outside for a bit. Even stay late and watch the EWP from the back area. Then cross it off!

It is a lot of money. If you're not feeling it, listen to your gut and don't do it, I think you'll just be disappointed. You should feel at least a little bit excited before dropping that kind of cash.

luv

If money is an issue, skip the Disney hotels.

You can not only find cheaper hotels...you can find nicer hotels with better service for much less. :)

Staying in Disney hotels is for people with money to burn.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's not about being beat over the head with characters. Aside from hidden Mickey's, you aren't beat over the head with characters at any of the other Deluxe Resorts. The issue with the Contemporary, I think for many people, is that it looks (and feels) similar to a nice hotel they have located somewhere in a nearby major city. I was reading the Complete Guide to WDW and this bit really stood out to me:

It's on the monorail line, it has comfortable rooms and a character meal, but overall this Deluxe Resort still fails to deliver a magical Disney experience. An abundance of glass, carpet and sprayed concrete lends an impersonal feel to most public areas, while the resort's restaurants are pricey and the pools plain. Each guestroom has a modern Asian theme, but the rest of the resort seems more like a coldhearted office straight from the 1970's.

Sadly, that is always the feeling when we go there, which we do every trip to go to Chef Mickey's. I just hoped my feeling upon visiting would not be on target while staying there.

While I don't agree with this review at all personally, if that is an accurate description of how you feel about the place I would skip it. It's a lot of money to stay at a place you really don't like just to cross it off your list. I would never shell out thousands on a resort I know I don't like especially when there are alternatives you could easily do.

As far as convenience of getting to EPCOT, IMHO CR is more convenient than Poly on the way to EPCOT and less on the way home. You get on the monorail in the loby so its right there. The short ride from CR to TTC and the walk down and back up the ramp to get on the EPCOT monorail is more convenient than walking from Poly. In most cases it's quicker too. On the way back Poly is much easier. on the way back to CR it's less direct since you have to stop at Poly, GF and MK before getting back to CR. It can be a drag if its late night after illuminations. What makes up for it is the quick stroll back from MK after Wishes.

captainkidd

Original Poster
If money is an issue, skip the Disney hotels.

You can not only find cheaper hotels...you can find nicer hotels with better service for much less. :)

Staying in Disney hotels is for people with money to burn.

Money isn't an issue. But whenever your spending thousands to stay anywhere, you'd better be sure you like it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom