Contemporary $970 RIPOFF

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Let me share my experiences of what a Disney resort can be. Disney is most definitely not incapable of having elite resorts.

Here's Hotel MiraCosta at Tokyo DisneySea back in 2018. I'll definitely go back to TDS, and while I wouldn't stay at MiraCosta again due to the price (only did it for 2 nights anyway), from a value perspective, it's hard to argue it wasn't worth it when you compare it to WDW's deluxe hotels. Not only are the park views in a league of their own, but the entire resort is gorgeously made out of high-quality materials like marble and the service was world-class. I'd say MiraCosta is hands down the greatest resort Disney has ever built, but it's certainly not the only incredible one.
1669795442464.png
1669795454006.png

The same can be said of the Shanghai Disneyland Hotel. Actually, in that case, I actually stayed on the Club Level with park views across Wishing Star Lake because it was such a good deal when we booked it; it's also a relatively new hotel, so it's a great comparison to Bright Sun's Review of the Contemporary.

Here's the 'Magic Kingdom Club' and what it offered. Not only was an excellent buffet that put Chef Mickey's to shame served throughout the day, but it was included with club level rooms, and characters would occasionally stop on by, reading bedtime stories for children and offering a sincere 'hello!' It felt so natural and not forced like the character buffets in Orlando.

Shout out to the incredible CM's here. The service was next level, so much so that they would give us advice on what to do when we later went to Shanghai itself, recommending restaurants, foods to try, places to go, and handwriting translations for directions. As cringey as it may sound, they almost began to feel like family. They genuinely wanted to know how our day went every morning and evening. Now, I don't know how much of that had to do with us being from the States, but throughout my time in China/Japan, I met just some of the flat-out kindest people.
1669797532123.jpeg
1669797600843.jpeg
1669797570896.jpeg
1669797565256.jpeg

The above and beyond attention to detail was remarkable. In fact, that was my experience from having our bags dropped off to the moment we left. It felt more like a Disney Cruise in the sense that there were so many CM's eager to assist you in any way. I'm getting nostalgic about this trip pulling all of this stuff up now. What a great time.

I mean just look at this handwritten note after delivering a cloth to clean glasses, in a language not even spoken by the locals!
1669797596426.jpeg

While WDW and Disneyland don't have resorts of that caliber, there are some great ones.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is a gorgeous resort with a beautiful art collection and insanely good restaurants (Jiko is to die for and Victoria Falls Lounge is a gem) with the animals making it have that 'only at Disney' quality to it. And while not Four Seasons or even MiraCosta Level, Yacht Club did a great job with their new rooms too, so Disney isn't a disaster. Even though they are more expensive, The Wilderness Lodge has a world-class lobby and Polynesian Village has such a unique vibe to it; I wouldn't stay at these two given the price, but they are both beautiful in their own ways.

So overpriced as all Disney resorts are, I'd say Contemporary (and to a lesser extent the Grand Floridian) stands in a league of its own due to the mismatched outdatedness of the entire resort alongside the very unfortunate rooms.

For the best value on property with resorts that have 'deluxe perks' like Extended Evening Hours, I'd recommend the Shades of Green if you're in the military, and for everyone else, I'm all about the Swan and Dolphin with its elite location. The service at Swan and Dolphin is a step up above all the non-club level WDW resorts too, and it's typically about half the price of the Boardwalk and Yacht and Beach Club resorts.

Last edited:

bpiper

Orlando was the town of cheap hotels and cars.. not as much anymore. I couldn't even get below about $160 without going the motel6 level for my date in december.. and that's with AAA and Corp rates too. Now I'm paying basically $250 for a hampton inn..
Was your date a Friday or Saturday night? I am finding that the Marriott properties (all of them) have jacked up the weekend prices for December but the prices during the week are 1/2 the cost. I wonder if demand during the week has sagged but they are still getting long weekenders.

CaptainAmerica

Minor update...

I just watched this guy's video on the new ship that DCL bought and he's a total jagweed. He figured out that bashing Disney gets clicks and views so now he's found his revenue stream.

And he says "weary" when he either meant "wary" or "leery" so he definitely can't be trusted.

Contemporary Concierge still sucks tho.

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Minor update...

I just watched this guy's video on the new ship that DCL bought and he's a total jagweed. He figured out that bashing Disney gets clicks and views so now he's found his revenue stream.

And he says "weary" when he means "leery" so he definitely can't be trusted.

I really like Jake. I think the stuff on his main channel is great. His Abandoned series. His Bankrupt series. He’s never been a clickbait kinda guy.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Minor update...

And he says "weary" when he means "leery" so he definitely can't be trusted.

Yeah I’m going to have to totally disagree, I’ve watched Jake’s videos for years and he does a great job. As an avid cruiser too, his points are fair as Disney has equated DCL’s success with IP’s instead of the ‘classic cruise liner’ feel you get on the Magic & Dream-Class ships. The Wish traded consistency in design for all over the place quality.

I’m not one to bash Disney for no reason either, unless it’s justified (like the Contemporary rooms being cheap or Genie+ being convoluted), but DCL has taken what’s in my view, an inferior approach to their design language, and it’s a real shame.

I’m definitely more optimistic on it though and I want to see Disney’s take on a Royal Caribbean style ship now that Disney *should have* learned from the Wish’s mistakes. There are still a lot of reasons to be concerned as well, however.

Last edited:

jimbojones

I stayed at the contemporary this summer and have stayed there several times since the 1980s, the refurb made things new but it was a downgrade in quality. The rooms look like Ikea flatpack furniture outfitted with Home Depot sale tile, carpet and fixtures. The 80s 90s and 2000s contemporary rooms were much higher quality even if they were "old. Same with the poly, each refurb from the original (which I saw as a kid) has been a steady downgrade in quality for the sake of "new". The contemporary rooms are big but otherwise feel like what you get at a value resort in terms of fit finish and quality. I'd put the rooms as on par with a Holiday Inn express.

Figments Friend

I check into the Contemporary on Friday. I managed to snag a great deal for main tower/theme park view for this weekend. I haven't stayed here since Christmas 1987 o_O I'm looking forward to watching the MK fireworks from my balcony while drinking coffee

Looking forward to your thoughts once you have been able to experience the current offerings.
The Contemp is a VERY different place now compared to what it was back in the 80s.

Let us know what you think!

-

jpeden

In the Parks
No
"The Four Seasons has similarly priced rooms" is just a lie. You see it all the time when people talk about the Grand Floridian, and the only thing I can conclude is that nobody has ever bothered to look up what the Four Seasons costs. Because it's not $970, it's $2,807.

View attachment 679047

Yeah the Four Seasons I think for awhile was underpricing itself until it was established in order to woo guests away from WDW proper. I remember when it was cheaper than the GF, Poly, or CR. Lately I've never seen it cheaper than anything at WDW.

NelleBelle

I think they should have done a few rooms themed to the Incrdinles (for kids) and then done. Really good mid-century mod with Mary Blair art as mentioned above. When I was researching rooms for our stay later this year, the rooms were just not what I could stomach from my last stay here (although thankful to see those horrible sinks gone)! The rooms look smaller to me for some reason. We loved the new rooms at YC and even though the rooms at the Poly are Moana-themed, I could stomach the design more so than this. It’s too bad because I’ve always loved the CR but I definitely wouldn’t pay more to stay here when YC is less expensive currently.

MickeyLuv'r

I find the video's take too cynical. I'll certainly grant, the CR CL is not worth $900+/night, and it is not worthwhile for a solo traveler. It sounds like he doesn't like the Contemporary at all, and that is his prerogative, but much of what he says is over the top. He says he was there during the hurricane. Ugh! CM's were at risk of long their homes and he's upset he only had two beer options? Eww! Just eww!

If someone is ALREADY planning to stay at the Contemporary, and your party consists of 4 people, then the up charge for CL has often trended in the $150 range. If so, that works out to about $38 per person.

At WDW, a simple cookie now costs $4.25-6.35. If you want a soft drink, that's $5.30. (current Casey's price) If you have a cookie and a soft drink every day, that's $10-11.

If you buy beer at a WDW food court you'll pay $8.50-9.25, and glasses of wine run $10. They also tend to have more than 2 options. Again, he was sneering because they only had 2 options during the hurricane.

He also completely skips over the biggest benefit of CL, the breakfast. The latte machine he sneers at puts out a very fine latte. At WDW, if you try to buy a latte at the Starbucks? HA! Expect to wait in line. For 20+ minutes! Seriously, the Epcot Starbucks had a crazy long wait on my most recent visit. On club level, you have your latte with the push of a button and no wait.

At breakfast, CL has a continental buffet that includes unlimited: fresh fruit, breads/pastries, cereals, eggs (usually just hard boiled), oatmeal, juices. To be fair, the offerings are somewhat on par with many offsite places. I was just at a Residence Inn and a Springhill Suites. The CR continental breakfast is decidedly better than the Residence Inn, and WAY better than the Springhill Suites was. Apples to oranges. Actually, the Springhill suites didn't have any fruit at all. For fruit, the Residence Inn had mashed up bananas (brown spots all over them with one end of the peel missing) and sticky little tangerines that looked dry (somewhat old). The Contemporary offers apples oranges all day, plus cups of fresh fruit salad in the morning. (NICE berries, melon, fresh pineapple).

The pictures he took of the lounge are also VERY deceptive. He says he was there during the hurricane. The lounge is normally staffed by attentive staff from 7am to 10pm. During those hours there is someone at the podium, plus staff refreshing the food. They are among the top CM's at WDW. If you have almost any questions, they are usually quick with an answer. I will grant, they are not now able to do as much as they used to be able to do. Back in 2019, if you booked CL in advance, staff were able to book just about any dining, for example.

The CL staff are also generally SUPER if anyone in your party has food allergies. They will often go above and beyond to provide allergen-free food.

In the evening, the CR lounge serves an array of sweets. The assortment varies, but the offerings often resemble what you would be served at Chef Mickey's, though no ice cream. Usually 4-5 choices: Mini-tarts, rice crispy treats, mini cupcakes, etc.

Soft drinks, apple juice boxes, and filtered water are available all day.

We have stayed at some CL's outside of WDW. Some were better than what WDW offered, many were not as good. The evening appetizers offered at WDW probably vary the most from day to day. Again, his stay was during the hurricane, when WDW was emergency staff only.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If someone is ALREADY planning to stay at the Contemporary, and your party consists of 4 people, then the up charge for CL has often trended in the $150 range. If so, that works out to about $38 per person.

Are all four of your people contributing to the bill? If not, what does a 'per person' view do for anyone when you aren't paying per-person for the room?

MickeyLuv'r

Are all four of your people contributing to the bill? If not, what does a 'per person' view do for anyone when you aren't paying per-person for the room?

I thought I broke it down, but maybe not.

The rate for CL is a flat rate. So one person pays $150, and 4 people pay $150. IMO, one person is not likely to eat $150 worth the food per day in the CL.

And it is possible to 4 people could eat less than $150 worth of groceries, but, if a family of 4 plans to eat breakfast/snacks in the food court, they could EASILY spend over $150/day for the kind of food included with club level. that's why it matters.

I'm not saying CL is a way to save money. I wouldn't go that far, but for that $150/day CL = completely bypassing the mad rush of the food court or the crazy long wait at the Starbucks.

Over winter break, the Epcot Starbucks was a madhouse! I didn't actually wait in the line, but it looked to easily be over 30minutes wait to get a coffee, probably closer to an hour. The CL lounge, on the other hand, is just down the hall from your CL room, and there is no wait to get food.

At WDW, time is $. There is value in the convenience of CL that the guy dismisses. that is his prerogative, but it has value to others.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And it is possible to 4 people could eat less than $150 worth of groceries, but, if a family of 4 plans to eat breakfast/snacks in the food court, they could EASILY spend over $150/day for the kind of food included with club level. that's why it matters.

I think anyone who pays for Club Level based on their estimated food bill is doomed.

spacemt354

Chili's
I find the video's take too cynical. I'll certainly grant, the CR CL is not worth $900+/night, and it is not worthwhile for a solo traveler. It sounds like he doesn't like the Contemporary at all, and that is his prerogative, but much of what he says is over the top. He says he was there during the hurricane. Ugh! CM's were at risk of long their homes and he's upset he only had two beer options? Eww! Just eww!

At WDW, a simple cookie now costs $4.25-6.35. If you want a soft drink, that's $5.30. (current Casey's price) If you have a cookie and a soft drink every day, that's $10-11.

If you buy beer at a WDW food court you'll pay $8.50-9.25, and glasses of wine run $10. They also tend to have more than 2 options. Again, he was sneering because they only had 2 options during the hurricane.

He also completely skips over the biggest benefit of CL, the breakfast. The latte machine he sneers at puts out a very fine latte. At WDW, if you try to buy a latte at the Starbucks? HA! Expect to wait in line. For 20+ minutes! Seriously, the Epcot Starbucks had a crazy long wait on my most recent visit. On club level, you have your latte with the push of a button and no wait.

At breakfast, CL has a continental buffet that includes unlimited: fresh fruit, breads/pastries, cereals, eggs (usually just hard boiled), oatmeal, juices. To be fair, the offerings are somewhat on par with many offsite places. I was just at a Residence Inn and a Springhill Suites. The CR continental breakfast is decidedly better than the Residence Inn, and WAY better than the Springhill Suites was. Apples to oranges. Actually, the Springhill suites didn't have any fruit at all. For fruit, the Residence Inn had mashed up bananas (brown spots all over them with one end of the peel missing) and sticky little tangerines that looked dry (somewhat old). The Contemporary offers apples oranges all day, plus cups of fresh fruit salad in the morning. (NICE berries, melon, fresh pineapple).

The pictures he took of the lounge are also VERY deceptive. He says he was there during the hurricane. The lounge is normally staffed by attentive staff from 7am to 10pm. During those hours there is someone at the podium, plus staff refreshing the food. They are among the top CM's at WDW. If you have almost any questions, they are usually quick with an answer. I will grant, they are not now able to do as much as they used to be able to do. Back in 2019, if you booked CL in advance, staff were able to book just about any dining, for example.

The CL staff are also generally SUPER if anyone in your party has food allergies. They will often go above and beyond to provide allergen-free food.

In the evening, the CR lounge serves an array of sweets. The assortment varies, but the offerings often resemble what you would be served at Chef Mickey's, though no ice cream. Usually 4-5 choices: Mini-tarts, rice crispy treats, mini cupcakes, etc.

Soft drinks, apple juice boxes, and filtered water are available all day.

We have stayed at some CL's outside of WDW. Some were better than what WDW offered, many were not as good. The evening appetizers offered at WDW probably vary the most from day to day. Again, his stay was during the hurricane, when WDW was emergency staff only.
Our family once thought this way (over a decade ago) and upgraded to club level for the food benefits. We thought like you did that the price per person for food would either be an even split or less (with less hassle)

While the breakfast accommodations were valuable, the thing to keep in mind is would you have spent $30-40 per person on breakfast every day over a 5-7 day trip, or would you have just booked one buffet breakfast as a treat for the trip, and gone down to the resort gift shop for cereal boxes/milk for the rest of the days so you can efficiently get out to the parks?

Plus, any other food/beverage offerings holds you down to the resort if you want the benefits. With the Magic Kingdom Resorts especially, unless you plan on spending most of your trip in Magic Kingdom where you can walk back easily to your Club Level, it will be a hassle to come back for a free latte if you're in Animal Kingdom, let alone Epcot.

So if your family prefers to stay close to the resort for the majority of the morning/day and go to the parks in the evening, then perhaps it might be worth it. But for us, it wasn't worth it and we never did it again. And that was back when it was relatively affordable, and not $700-900 per night. I couldn't even imagine trying it now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom