Contemporary $970 RIPOFF

spacemt354

Chili's
"The Four Seasons has similarly priced rooms" is just a lie. You see it all the time when people talk about the Grand Floridian, and the only thing I can conclude is that nobody has ever bothered to look up what the Four Seasons costs. Because it's not $970, it's $2,807.

View attachment 679047
It's definitely more than the Contemporary (nothing under 1,000), but to say it's 2,807 is also misleading, as the rates vary depending on time of year/time of booking. For example this is more comparable with the Contemporary price in the video.

1668615474991.png

Raxel7851

At one time there wasn’t a pathway to walk to the MK from either the Contemporary or GF. It appears as if once they were completed, those resorts were advertised as more accessible to the MK and prices shot up.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Wait a minute... Disney Deluxe hotels are overpriced???? HOLY #@$$ someone get the president on the line!

Yawn... this is more a review of the price point then it is the room... which we all already know Disney's deluxes are ridiculously overpriced.

Virtually every complaint they had is 'this is not what I expect for this price'. So if you took the price out of the question, would he be as critical? Nothing they noted was dirty, non-functional, or inferior... it was all 'we expected more'.

Which is to be expected when you basically have a Holiday Inn charging 3-4x what it should.

spacemt354

Chili's
Nope, apples-to-apples is Theme Park View, with at least Breakfast included.
That's not the comparison in the video - the point of bringing up other high-end hotels in the area is that those rooms are within the price range of what you're paying for Club Level at Contemporary.

And as brought up in the video, the justification for the Contemporary price is less about the resort itself but moreover about the proximity to the parks and food/beverage options. YMMV if you think it's worth it for those amenities.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
  • Where there are three prices for a period (i.e. $111/$222/$333), the first price is for Sundays – Wednesdays, the second is for Thursdays, and the third is for Fridays & Saturdays.
8D6302D7-8174-4D7D-BCA9-7862BE3857C2.jpeg

B2DEC9AA-5431-4CD8-B634-E902B0E426B8.jpeg

These are the 2023 rates (including 12.5% tax) for Contemporary Club Level Theme Park View hotel rooms. $970 a night ($1,090 with tax) is around the absolute cheapest 2023 nights (only Mon, Tues or Wed in Value Season 1 or 2).

The average cost for this room in 2023 is closer to $1300 a night. More than 40 nights cost over $1500. Christmas weeks costs ~$12k which works well for Edna saying, “I never look back darling, it distracts from the now.”

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think people should have to post photos of the last four hotel rooms they stayed in before passing judgement on the current room they are in

phillip9698

I think people should have to post photos of the last four hotel rooms they stayed in before passing judgement on the current room they are in

I travel for work regularly and I am 100% comfortable in saying the Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn Suites, Hyatt, and Embassy Suites rooms I book for under 250 bucks a night are nicer than most standard and club level rooms at Disney.

If we want to keep it theme park level then both Great Wolf Lodge and Legoland have nicer rooms.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I travel for work regularly and I am 100% comfortable in saying the Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn Suites, Hyatt, and Embassy Suites rooms I book for under 200 bucks a night are nicer than most standard and club level rooms at Disney.

Yes but are the disney rooms unacceptable or just over priced. That’s the point I am making. People act like this is a roaches red roof inn. No, it’s just a way over priced holiday Inn with location.

If people are staying in your typical 3.5 star holiday/hampton/hilton/marriott don’t start acting all high and tooty just because they checked in at an over priced spot. (The criticism on the kind of tiles etc vs the dated marble that was replaced).

I just had to book a hotel at the mco airport for one night on an upcoming trip… avg was over 250/night now… getting nutty

CaptainAmerica

I travel for work regularly and I am 100% comfortable in saying the Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn Suites, Hyatt, and Embassy Suites rooms I book for under 250 bucks a night are nicer than most standard and club level rooms at Disney.

If we want to keep it theme park level then both Great Wolf Lodge and Legoland have nicer rooms.
The appeal of Disney resorts has never been the rooms themselves, for the most part. There's obviously the location, but also the uniqueness of each property. The Contemporary has a freaking train that runs through the inside. I'm a self-proclaimed Contemporary hater, but that still counts for something... a lot more than the provenance of the bathroom tile or the thread count on the sheets. The Contemporary might be the  least themed of the Disney resorts, certainly of the Deluxe resorts, yet it's still more interesting than what you'll find most anywhere else.

Yes but are the disney rooms unacceptable or just over priced. That’s the point I am making. People act like this is a roaches red roof inn. No, it’s just a way over priced holiday Inn with location.
My biggest problem with the Contemporary rooms is that they're below the standards of even the other resorts on property. And I'm not just talking Grand Flo and Riviera. Even somewhere like Saratoga Springs has better fit and finish than what we're seeing here.

If people are staying in your typical 3.5 star holiday/hampton/hilton/marriott don’t start acting all high and tooty just because they checked in at an over priced spot. (The criticism on the kind of tiles etc vs the dated marble that was replaced).
Amen. That tile was hideous.

I just had to book a hotel at the mco airport for one night on an upcoming trip… avg was over 250/night now… getting nutty
Yup. My last hotel stay was at the Fairmont Vancouver and it was about $500. The service level was extraordinary but the room itself... was a hotel room in need of refurbishment. The mattress had a bit of a sag in the middle, the carpet was worn under the wheels of the desk, the windows had streaks when the sun hit them a certain way, etc.

phillip9698

The appeal of Disney resorts has never been the rooms themselves, for the most part. There's obviously the location, but also the uniqueness of each property. The Contemporary has a freaking train that runs through the inside. I'm a self-proclaimed Contemporary hater, but that still counts for something... a lot more than the provenance of the bathroom tile or the thread count on the sheets. The Contemporary might be the  least themed of the Disney resorts, certainly of the Deluxe resorts, yet it's still more interesting than what you'll find most anywhere else.

My biggest problem with the Contemporary rooms is that they're below the standards of even the other resorts on property. And I'm not just talking Grand Flo and Riviera. Even somewhere like Saratoga Springs has better fit and finish than what we're seeing here.

Amen. That tile was hideous.

Yup. My last hotel stay was at the Fairmont Vancouver and it was about $500. The service level was extraordinary but the room itself... was a hotel room in need of refurbishment. The mattress had a bit of a sag in the middle, the carpet was worn under the wheels of the desk, the windows had streaks when the sun hit them a certain way, etc.

The location and sadly the theming of the Contemporary is the same as it was when a room was only 200 bucks a night. When you outpace inflation by over 300% and barely update the property you invite this discourse.

Proximity to Disney World doesn’t warrant unlimited price increases. At some point the room and INCLUDED amenities must account for something.

At this point we cant justify the costs of anything over a moderate resort. We have a trip booked next month at Pop and that price point is closer to what I expect due to the skyliner. The last deluxe we touched was AKL back in 2011 where the price of 300 bucks a night was reasonable.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Orlando was the town of cheap hotels and cars.. not as much anymore. I couldn't even get below about $160 without going the motel6 level for my date in december.. and that's with AAA and Corp rates too. Now I'm paying basically $250 for a hampton inn..

CaptainAmerica

The location and sadly the theming of the Contemporary is the same as it was when a room was only 200 bucks a night. When you outpace inflation by over 300% and barely update the property you invite this discourse.

Proximity to Disney World doesn’t warrant unlimited price increases. At some point the room and INCLUDED amenities must account for something.

At this point we cant justify the costs of anything over a moderate resort. We have a trip booked next month at Pop and that price point is closer to what I expect due to the skyliner. The last deluxe we touched was AKL back in 2011 where the price of 300 bucks a night was reasonable.
See, I have zero moral or principled objection to them charging whatever people are willing to pay.

OrlandoRising

Orlando was the town of cheap hotels and cars.. not as much anymore. I couldn't even get below about $160 without going the motel6 level for my date in december.. and that's with AAA and Corp rates too. Now I'm paying basically $250 for a hampton inn..

Orlando still beats many other cities in terms of hotel prices just because there are so many properties. But rates can fluctuate a lot and you may have picked dates where availability was already low across the board -- or at least in the area you were looking in.

For example, I stayed at the Rosen Centre right across from the OCCC back in July and it cost about $110. Great value for a four-star hotel, but there was no major convention happening. If I tried to book a hotel last week when I was in town for IAAPA, $110 wouldn't have been enough to book a Days Inn in that area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom