Considering the $1,500 family vacation deal

allypeanut

I see the commercials for the $1,500 deal for a family of 4 to go to WDW and would like to know if anyone has done this. I know that the hotels that are in this price range don't offer babysitting and might want to upgrade to the $2,500 deal. Has anyone done any of the package deals, where did you stay and how was your experience? Thank you.

tigsmom

We always buy a package when we go to WDW. You get your room & tickets. I'm sure some people could get better prices buying the components separately, but we've always gone with a package. You usually get a gift (they were called flex features), but the last time it was just 2 lanyards and 2 pins. We've never had a problem; all of your info and vouchers show up in a nice planning folder with luggage tags. Bring all of that with you and turn them in when you check in. Everything is waiting for you.

We have always upgraded to Deluxe as its our one big vacation of the year.
We've never done the meal plan (paid or free) because it just doesn't fit in our lifestyle. Have never used the babysitting services either, but I'm sure those who have will chime in. :wave:

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

allypeanut said:
I see the commercials for the $1,500 deal for a family of 4 to go to WDW and would like to know if anyone has done this. I know that the hotels that are in this price range don't offer babysitting and might want to upgrade to the $2,500 deal. Has anyone done any of the package deals, where did you stay and how was your experience? Thank you.

The 1,500 dollar offer is what you can get during value season with just base tickets. Usually you end up upgrading the tickets or adding the meal plan and it costs more. It also depends on the ages in your party (I believe that price is for 2 adults, 1 junior-adult ticket, and 1 child). Remember that as a resort guest you can still bring your children to the child care areas at the other resorts. Just because your resort doesn't have one doesn't mean you still can't use them. They cost the same whether you are staying at that resort or not. Guest Services will also be able to help you if you need private in room baby sitting.

If you need help booking or need any price quotes, please feel free to contact me. My email address is right in my signature.

Upvote 0

allypeanut

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!! I have been looking at the different hotels and was wondering where you have stayed and which one do you think is the best. I see on the one resort, I think it's maybe the kingdom one, that you can have either a view of the pools or a view of the animals. Any experience on this subject?

Upvote 0

tigsmom

allypeanut said:
Thanks everyone!! I have been looking at the different hotels and was wondering where you have stayed and which one do you think is the best. I see on the one resort, I think it's maybe the kingdom one, that you can have either a view of the pools or a view of the animals. Any experience on this subject?

Haven't stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, but friends have and loved it (non savanah view).

We've been to the Contemporary (nice, but not our favorite decor), the Polynesian (beautiful, great food, but we didnt like having to walk outside for everything) the Boardwalk (nice close to EPCOT & MGM, but no inside restaurants and my family didn't care for the boardwalk fare). The best we've stayed in is the Wilderness Lodge (we've been there too many times to count), we love the themeing, food and proximity to the MK. Its like you are in a different world.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I have Stayed at Pop Century (nice for a value), Port Orleans (my favorite moderate), Wilderness Lodge (beautiful), and Polynesian (my favorite so far, beauiful, big rooms, and the monorail). I will be staying at AKL this summer, but I have only heard good things about it.

Upvote 0

allypeanut

Original Poster
We're kinda looking at Animal Kingdom. I was wondering how much more money people typically spend. I know the package price is $2,500 for the most expensive resorts, but after the add on's, how much is it really? For instance, I know you pay more for the view, etc.

Upvote 0

PigletIsMyCat

I have stayed in a Savannah View room at AKL for my honeymoon. Worth every penny. But, if you are on a budget for this trip, you might do better at another resort. For the bare necessities, Pop Century is a good bet. The rooms are very small, but would be okay for two adults and one or two children. Children being under, like, ten. It is a small room with a small bathroom and not alot of room for anything.

A moderate resort, like Port Orleans French Quarter (personal fave) would offer a little more room, a bigger bathroom, and a few more amenities (like better themed pools, some with slides, and sometimes more dining options).

The $1500 deal is bare minimum of everything. To get the most out of your Disney dollar, you should check out the official website and plug in some numbers. That vacation would have to take place during Value Season, there would be no included meals, and no Park Hopping. Since they brought back the free Disney Dining Plan for bookings late August - September (not sure of exact dates) this would be a great time for you to book a package. Last fall, DH and I booked this package on a tight budget. We stayed six days, five nights at Pop Century with the meal plan and Park Hopper tickets. Cost us $925. If you can fit in a trip just before the kids return to school, you can really get your money's worth.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

allypeanut said:
We're kinda looking at Animal Kingdom. I was wondering how much more money people typically spend. I know the package price is $2,500 for the most expensive resorts, but after the add on's, how much is it really? For instance, I know you pay more for the view, etc.

I sent you a PM so I can help you better with this.

Upvote 0

Debbie

allypeanut said:

I've stayed at the Contemporary a few times, Polynesian several times, Port Orleans Riverside, Wilderness Lodge, Pop Century, Caribbean Beach, Swan, and Hotel Royal Plaza (Downtown Disney resort), and even at what was the Disney Inn and Disney Institute (in the cheaper ones, the term escapes me). Pop Century was a great value for the price ($49.00 per nite in 2/2005), and Port Orleans is beautiful with a nice food court, but the Polynesian is our personal favorite, even though I doubt we'll ever be able to afford to stay there in the near and distant future.
I've read many rave reviews of Animal Kingdom and if the price were right; I'd have to try it. Magic Kingdom is my favorite park, and I love staying in Magic Kingdom resorts, but we really are on the go alot and I'd rather put the extra money out on dining than the resort.

Upvote 0

wired

The AKL is a great resort. The decor is outstanding, as soon as you walk in the place just pulls you in to look around. The best part for me is th smell, it has the great sented wood burning smell, mixed with the aroma of the resturants. We have stayed in the savannah rooms and was always fun to return from the parks and relax animal watching.

My one and only complaint is, distance from the parks, it seems like you are on the buses forever. Have not been back since I have small kids now, but when they get old we will certainly add this resort back to our rotation.

wired.

Upvote 0

beerbaron

We purchased the package and stayed in All Star Movies this past January. It was great having everything covered. The negative side was the wait time for the busses as well as at times feeling like a bunch of cattle being herded here and there.

But, if you can afford the moderate or deluxe resorts I would recommend it. We toured both the WDL and AKL and decided that is the way to do Disney. When I was growing up I stayed at the Polynesian, Contemporary, the treetops, and at the golf resort (I think that resort is now Shades of Green). Great memories that I still have 20+ years later.

Now, if I can just get my wallet to agree with my dreams.....

Upvote 0

swimmom

allypeanut said:
You can go to http://disneyworld.com and play around with booking a package to see what pricing is like with upgrades. Until you give them a credit card nothing is reserved.

BTW our favorite resort is Wilderness Lodge, but would love to stay at Animal Kingdom one day.

Upvote 0

THECARISMINE

My family save up all year for the vacation and spend every last dime of it when we get down. we go with like well not really sure on the prices exact but we usally pay like 3000 or so for like 12 days at port orleans or the other moderate hotels we love the port orleans though no matter which one if we stay for longer we go to a all star and usally spent about the same for the room and parks as always the all stars lines for busses are BAD so we like the moderates beter. We never stayed at any of the highier ups because the longer we are there the beter we feel when it come time to leave which stinks anyway but everyone else in my family only stay at the Contemporary because they kindof just refuse to stay any where else I personaly think that great resort needs clean up bad the colors of the rooms and the decor is just nasty

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom