Connections Cafe and Eatery

Sir_Cliff

This is why we can't have nice things. For every one of us who appreciate fresh buns and actual beef with fun toppings there's 20 who'd be fine with bulk beef and wonder buns.
I'm curious whether the, ahh, "simplification" of menus has to do more with Disney or guests. They seem to at least try to make the food at the parks more interesting, but I wonder if trying to get guests to buy dumplings at a snack stand, for example, is ultimately an exercise in futility. Meanwhile, people will queue up and pay through the nose for the familiar regardless of quality.

Andrew25

I'm curious whether the, ahh, "simplification" of menus has to do more with Disney or guests. They seem to at least try to make the food at the parks more interesting, but I wonder if trying to get guests to buy dumplings at a snack stand, for example, is ultimately an exercise in futility. Meanwhile, people will queue up and pay through the nose for the familiar regardless of quality.

It's a mix of both. Restaurants will open with an expanded menu to figure out what items sell best and eventually start cutting things until they find the best mix. This happens with all fast food restaurants too, they expand their menus too much, the business loses profits/employees struggle with all of the options and then they simplify things... eventually expanding menus over time and starting the process all over again.

The only reason we don't see quality options at MK is because they need to keep things simplified to feed the masses.

Mireille

Premium Member
It's a mix of both. Restaurants will open with an expanded menu to figure out what items sell best and eventually start cutting things until they find the best mix. This happens with all fast food restaurants too, they expand their menus too much, the business loses profits/employees struggle with all of the options and then they simplify things... eventually expanding menus over time and starting the process all over again.

The only reason we don't see quality options at MK is because they need to keep things simplified to feed the masses.
Except Skipper Cantina is at MK and has some relatively "adventurous" food. Same with Spice Road Table in Epcot. As someone that went vegetarian in my 30s I had the option of eating the same stuff all the time or branching out to Mediterranean, Asian, African and other cuisines. I think as far as the food quality, it's my favorite TS in MK and I also love Satu'li Canteen for QS but I've seen a number of complaints about those particular restaurants because of family members who don't like the "weird" food. I've never had a problem getting an ADR at SC or SRT (except maybe around fireworks time) because of that. They're just catering to the clientele, I guess.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Except Skipper Cantina is at MK and has some relatively "adventurous" food. Same with Spice Road Table in Epcot. As someone that went vegetarian in my 30s I had the option of eating the same stuff all the time or branching out to Mediterranean, Asian, African and other cuisines. I think as far as the food quality, it's my favorite TS in MK and I also love Satu'li Canteen for QS but I've seen a number of complaints about those particular restaurants because of family members who don't like the "weird" food. I've never had a problem getting an ADR at SC or SRT (except maybe around fireworks time) because of that. They're just catering to the clientele, I guess.
Agreed on the Skipper Cantina front. Its are go to and best TS in MK in our opinion. Their Cachapas, Jungle Green salad and curried veggie stew are fantastic.

fgmnt

Oh dear god no. Electric Umbrella was the worst counter serve location (food quality and service) on property for over a decade. I really like the range of menu items and quality at Connections. I do desperately hope is doesn’t slowly get homogenized back to just burgers and fries like so many other locations do.
I'm a certified hater of Cosmic Ray's and Pinnochio Village Haus but yeah, EU was up there.

The dog-food-ification of this location has to be because the most plain guests flock here?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'm a certified hater of Cosmic Ray's and Pinnochio Village Haus but yeah, EU was up there.

The dog-food-ification of this location has to be because the most plain guests flock here?
They just want to get a jump on the airport ambiance before they fly home. 😉

pdude81

I'm not sure if I understand the complaints about the food quality. I coincidentally happened to be in the park on opening day and figured I would try a few of the food items. I found them all to be extremely bland and tasteless. I thought it was bad from the start.
I just spoke with someone who went there yesterday and thought the burgers were bland as well. I had one in Nov and it sucked, but to be fair it was the same crappy patty that I had in Cosmic Rays on the same vacation. When I ate a burger at Cosmic Rays this April it was much better, but I hadn't tried Connections again. I am hoping for some consistency in the future so I know whether to waste my time or not.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I liked the Connections burgers.

The Connections pizza was horrible. But I understand they changed the type of pizza since I was there.

MagicHappens1971

That's produced frozen pizza made out in Schaumburg Illinois called Nation Pizza..Any quick serviced pizza in the resort at hotels or in the parks goes straight to that pizza.
Fortunately, there are some quick-services outside of the parks that doesn't use that pizza. The Riveria comes to mind, and I believe Saratoga Springs as well.

Also Terra Treats at DAK has these pretty solid slices, I assume they're frozen but not sure what brand they are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom