Connections Cafe and Eatery

James Alucobond

But fair enough, so your point is that if there was a crappy QSR location in 1982 then 40 years later, after all of the learning and developments in the themed entertainment industry over four decades, the standard shouldn't be to wow the guests and come up with something fantastic?
It’s been in theme both times. This is like complaining that the ABC Commissary looks like an old commissary. A communal eatery at an event like the one Future World purports to portray would be modern, airy, and minimalist, exhibiting current trends.

JAB

I was discussing the broader design and architecture of Epcot, not a particular food location.

But fair enough, so your point is that if there was a crappy QSR location in 1982 then 40 years later, after all of the learning and developments in the themed entertainment industry over four decades, the standard shouldn't be to wow the guests and come up with something fantastic?

What is the relevance of saying a particular food location 40 years ago was terrible if not implying anything better is acceptable?
Again, you're making assumptions and arguing against things I never said. Not once did I say they shouldn't have done better with Connections, or that anything better than the Stargate was "good enough." All I said is that if you think it should be better, "original EPCOT design" isn't a valid benchmark for "better" in this case because you can't just ignore the parts of that design that weren't better just because it doesn't support your assertion (especially when there's a direct apples-to apples comparison). That's cherry picking.

celluloid

They really just needed an updated version of the same thing.

It is like expecting Casey's Corner to be better. They just needed the quick service place updated that everyone will hit on their way in or out of that side of the foot traffic, and that Starbucks could be streamlined in.

I do love the mural idea. The rest for me is a pretty fair trade.

BrianLo

If I go to a normal restaurant out here… like an Earls, Cactus Club, etc… I’m paying 17-20 for a burger and a side… and 2-4 dollars more to upgrade the side.

12.99 feels like a steal to me, and in a theme park?! I’m shocked.

While true, those are sit down restaurants still priced in CAD.

I was trying to think of an equivalent. White Spot runs 12-15 CAD on the ferries with a side. Whistler options probably a bit more, but there aren't really any 'quick serve' that comes to mind in the village for me.

Still, it's good for Epcot all things considered. My Dad still laments about the price of burgers in Epcot in 1993 and makes no mention of the cost on the ferries today. I don't know if I have the data to back that claim up, but for whatever reason he felt it was caustically expensive compared to Canadian prices back in the day.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It is the normal price for any entertainment venue...theme park, stadium, arena, etc. Why would they price themselves below the rest of the entertainment industry?

Wow, it took no time at all for someone to trot out that overused (and still incorrect) tripe.

If I go to a normal restaurant out here… like an Earls, Cactus Club, etc… I’m paying 17-20 for a burger and a side… and 2-4 dollars more to upgrade the side.

12.99 feels like a steal to me, and in a theme park?! I’m shocked.

So a sit down restaurant is comparable to a fast food restaurant in a theme park… how? I can get a better tasting and larger burger at a local sit down for $16 plus $3 for a drink vs their base $12 burger plus $4 for a drink. That makes this menu look worse, not better.

fgmnt

I think an opportunity was missed to run some of the bright purples, greens, oranges, and blues where there is any white space. Ultimately this is just a factory to feed and cool the masses at the hub. Glad it's another thing checked off the list so the actual hub can be finished some time before 2028.

rreading

I was really unimpressed with my first photo impression, but on further evaluation I think this may be the loveliest space I’ve ever seen in the original structure. I still don’t miss losing the other half (apart from the symmetry) but to me this looks really good

Cmdr_Crimson

I think an opportunity was missed to run some of the bright purples, greens, oranges, and blues where there is any white space. Ultimately this is just a factory to feed and cool the masses at the hub. Glad it's another thing checked off the list so the actual hub can be finished some time before 2028.
I guess many forgot the 90's Disney Stores used that same color pallet..
D1ZPokHVYAQJlfh.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It is the normal price for any entertainment venue...theme park, stadium, arena, etc. Why would they price themselves below the rest of the entertainment industry?
I’m gonna say this real S L O W…

Stop…comparing 3 hour events to places where the average attendee is there for 160 hours straight…

Have a good day

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Wow, it took no time at all for someone to trot out that overused (and still incorrect) tripe.
Not incorrect. Accurate. I know it bugs you and I’m sorry for that. But your expectation for them in this arena is to price themselves entirely different than the rest of market. That’s just not reasonable. So if you take issue with their food prices, it’s more of an issue with the entire entertainment industry. Singling out disney is weird.

Sir_Cliff

View attachment 634768

Current Land, yes a bit mall-ish. Classic The Land not so much, if distinctly 80s.
I don't mean this as a dig, but that picture of The Land very much gives me 1980s mall vibes. It's still a very nice space, but I think this goes back to Future World always having a broadly contemporary aesthetic rather than spaces designed to evoke different times and places as at the other parks. That means that they're always going to resonate more with 'real world' spaces that also employ whatever reads as contemporary at that particular point in time unless they completely change their approach to that part of the park.

People keep posting comparisons between Connections and contemporary malls, museum cafes or airports then posting pictures from 1980s/90s EPCOT that look like malls, museum cafes or airports from the 1980s/90s.

EPCOT is not styled in the same way as a traditional theme park. Yes, the attractions are changing to be more IP-driven, but it still has all the window dressing of a world's fair. Modern makes sense. Why bring up examples of excess like baroque and rococo when those would make no thematic sense?
Yes, it's hard for me to quite get what people think would be appropriate theming for this part of Epcot. Best I can figure is a nostalgic recreation of the 1980s/90s or just completely abandoning the original Future World contemporary aesthetic and turning it into a space station or something.

doctornick

I don't mean this as a dig, but that picture of The Land very much gives me 1980s mall vibes. It's still a very nice space, but I think this goes back to Future World always having a broadly contemporary aesthetic rather than spaces designed to evoke different times and places as at the other parks. That means that they're always going to resonate more with 'real world' spaces that also employ whatever reads as contemporary at that particular point in time unless they completely change their approach to that part of the park.

People keep posting comparisons between Connections and contemporary malls, museum cafes or airports then posting pictures from 1980s/90s EPCOT that look like malls, museum cafes or airports from the 1980s/90s.

Yes, it's hard for me to quite get what people think would be appropriate theming for this part of Epcot. Best I can figure is a nostalgic recreation of the 1980s/90s or just completely abandoning the original Future World contemporary aesthetic and turning it into a space station or something.
I think the new look is pretty nice and have no problem with it. That said I kind of wonder what would be a good concept for FW that would be more timeless and not have to be wholesale updated regularly to keep up with the times. I don’t know the answer but I think it’s an interesting question as to what would be appropriate without getting dated.

Having a historical setting for a theme park land helps to avoid that problem

Last edited:

Skywise

I'm not against them doing something that represents the best of 'modern contemporary' but I don't think they're even reaching that level here. (Or 'modern contemporary' design really sucks - which wouldn't be that surprising either)

Sir_Cliff

I'm not against them doing something that represents the best of 'modern contemporary' but I don't think they're even reaching that level here. (Or 'modern contemporary' design really sucks - which wouldn't be that surprising either)
I think some people just not liking contemporary design may also be part of the equation here. That's perfectly reasonable, but I think that's more a question of personal taste than the space being badly themed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom