Connections Cafe and Eatery

WDWJoeG

If you want themed decor go to World Showcase or Magic Kingdom.
This part of Epcot that used to be Future world isn’t really a theme park in that sense, baroque over the top theming wouldn’t work in an area that is meant to be contemporary and modern.
If you want giant blue boxes and oil rigs in a lagoon, come to Epcot!

Disney Analyst

EPCOT is not styled in the same way as a traditional theme park. Yes, the attractions are changing to be more IP-driven, but it still has all the window dressing of a world's fair. Modern makes sense. Why bring up examples of excess like baroque and rococo when those would make no thematic sense?

Exactly. And many themed restaurants throughout World Showcase....

Bartattack

I honestly don't know how you could design a more boring space. Posters above seem to like it, and I just genuinely cannot understand that perspective. It is utterly characterless. If you want subdued and minimalist, why go to a theme park in the first place? I've been looking at theme parks in Europe, places like Phantasialand and Efteling, and the dedication to baroque, even excessive theming is invigorating. The twenty-year generification of WDW stands in stark contrast.

That's because you have to compare Efteling and Phantasialnd to the castle parks... not Epcot.

James Alucobond

If you want giant blue boxes and oil rigs in a lagoon, come to Epcot!
No one’s excusing the exposed show buildings and show infrastructure. Heck, I haven’t stopped harping on the backstage views of France from the Skyliner. That has nothing to do with simple, modern design being appropriate for former Future World. Heck, most of the original pavilions were fairly unadorned basic geometric shapes (sphere, dome, pyramid, cylinder, sunken triangular prism, faceted polyhedron, etc.).

WDWJoeG

No one’s excusing the exposed show buildings and show infrastructure. Heck, I haven’t stopped harping on the backstage views of France from the Skyliner. That has nothing to do with simple, modern design being appropriate for former Future World. Heck, most of the original pavilions were fairly unadorned basic geometric shapes (sphere, dome, pyramid, cylinder, sunken triangular prism, faceted polyhedron, etc.).
I think what you meant to say was "the original pavilions were groundbreaking, iconic, instantly identifiable architectural structures that both captured the themes of the pavilions and set a new standard in theme park design".

James Alucobond

I think what you meant to say was "the original pavilions were groundbreaking, iconic, instantly identifiable architectural structures that both captured the themes of the pavilions and set a new standard in theme park design".
Did what I said preclude that possibility? Most of the original pavilions were and still are iconic. Geometric shapes often are. It wasn’t meant as a jab.

JAB

Did you ever visit the Stargate Restaurant quick service that was originally in that location? It looked like an '80s mall food court, and was more bland than Connections.

It's fine if you don't like the design of Connections, but don't claim it's because it doesn't live up to the legacy of EPCOT. There were lots of amazing, inspiring things about the original EPCOT. Its quick service hamburger restaurant wasn't one of them.

Cmdr_Crimson

Did you ever visit the Stargate Restaurant quick service that was originally in that location? It looked like an '80s mall food court, and was more bland than Connections.

It's fine if you don't like the design of Connections, but don't claim it's because it doesn't live up to the legacy of EPCOT. There were lots of amazing, inspiring things about the original EPCOT. Its quick service hamburger restaurant wasn't one of them.
Pasta Piazza: "Hold my Garlic Knots!"
a234050402d6a7b5aab4b5eb3710be62.jpg

Skywise

To be fair, Future World has always been minimal in the theming department. Even in Epcot's glory days, you could argue that a lot of FW had "airport" like design elements to it. What has changed is the definition of modern - today modern is associated with the minimal, sleek, Apple look, whereas old Epcot reflected modern as the robotic, blocky style of the 80s. If they went with something completely different people would complain that they are ruining the classic Epcot aesthetic.

In other areas of Disney, I'd agree with you about theming. Here, it fits the bill.
There's "minimalism" (ala the Contemporary and early Tomorrowland which Epcot initially went to for its early designs) and then there's boring (ala the redone Disney store in Disney Springs).
The Cafe isn't a bad design per se - but it's architecturally/artistically unnotable (contrast that to the pictures of the original Stargate above which is rich in expression - but don't take that to mean I like the Electric Umbrella any better :p )

WDWJoeG

So let me get this straight - you are picking, by your own admission, a low standard and then are heralding Disney for eclipsing your self-selected bad reference?

Wow, that is quite the northstar for Disney to follow in 2022. Keep those expectations high!

Centauri Space Station

So let me get this straight - you are picking, by your own admission, a low standard and then are heralding Disney for eclipsing your self-selected bad reference?

Wow, that is quite the northstar for Disney to follow in 2022. Keep those expectations high!
You say WDW standards are going down then admit the area was never great in the first place? Make up your mind what you are outraged about and stop attacking everyone who dares not hate what Disney does.

JAB

Where did I "herald" anything? You're making assumptions about my opinion of Connections. My post stated no opinion about Connections whatsoever - positive or negative. It simply pointed out the blatant irony of your post lauding the "groundbreaking, iconic" design of the original EPCOT as a contrast to your view of Connections as "bland, soulless, mall cafeteria" when the original QS restaurant in that spot was also a bland mall cafeteria. You can't cherry pick which parts of the original design you want to use as comparison points. I never said they shouldn't do better, just that "original EPCOT" is not a valid benchmark for design when it comes to the QS restaurants in that location - not everything about the original design was "groundbreaking."

WDWJoeG

You can't cherry pick which parts of the original design you want to use as comparison points. I never said they shouldn't do better, just that "original EPCOT" is not a valid benchmark for design when it comes to the QS restaurants in that location - not everything about the original design was "groundbreaking."
I was discussing the broader design and architecture of Epcot, not a particular food location.

But fair enough, so your point is that if there was a crappy QSR location in 1982 then 40 years later, after all of the learning and developments in the themed entertainment industry over four decades, the standard shouldn't be to wow the guests and come up with something fantastic?

What is the relevance of saying a particular food location 40 years ago was terrible if not implying anything better is acceptable?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom