Connections Cafe and Eatery

James Alucobond

Well...fiber optic wands are far different in look and application to the intricate animated patterns set into the pavers... a whole world different. I have built in lighting at home with a hue system, and I can pretty much make it do what I have seen the application for EPCOT is doing... Now if they are using the technology in a new and exciting way... that is different.
I don't dislike the lighting at all...just don't think it is as unique as it should or could be... But I am reserving judgement until it is complete and running out of test mode... It may be beautifully integrated with music tracks or something...
Most people seem to enjoy the shows presented on Spaceship Earth even if the sometimes over-bright resting patterns get nitpicked. How is that not using the technology in an exciting, entertaining way? True that Creations and Connections are currently using LED more conventionally, but there’s nothing wrong with that. It creates visual continuity with the rest of the park entrance. I don’t recall there being anything super exciting about the hexagonal arrangements of fluorescent tubes in the original shop.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
What's the leading-edge lighting of tomorrow that Epcot should be using?

LED use is fine. Just stop with making every project use color-changing LED's. It's not special when it becomes standard.

They could use fiber optic lighting in places, or in conjunction with other lighting sources, to provide some cool effects. I think, maybe, they've done that before somewhere. 🤔

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
LED use is fine. Just stop with making every project use color-changing LED's. It's not special when it becomes standard.

They could use fiber optic lighting in places, or in conjunction with other lighting sources, to provide some cool effects. I think, maybe, they've done that before somewhere. 🤔
I'd say: Use every trick in the book.

Make architectural elements that surprisingly light up from within.​
LED color changeable lights (used subtly).​
Optic fiber 'art' everywhere: in the floor; on ceilings as fireworks; incorporated into art (Tinkerbells dust lights up)​
Animated projection mapping.​
UV 'blacklighting.'​
LED screens posing as posters that come alive​

But yeah, using *just* LED colored lights in every new building is too one-trick pony. But I wouldn't ding it for being "old tech."

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'd say: Use every trick in the book.

Make architectural elements that surprisingly light up from within.​
LED color changeable lights (used subtly).​
Optic fiber 'art' everywhere: in the floor; on ceilings as fireworks; incorporated into art (Tinkerbells dust lights up)​
Animated projection mapping.​
UV 'blacklighting.'​
LED screens posing as posters that come alive​

But yeah, using *just* LED colored lights in every new building is too one-trick pony. But I wouldn't ding it for being "old tech."

If used correctly and appropriately, I'm absolutely 100% sold on all of that. Use different elements at different locations, don't shove it all into every building, and consumers will be wowed.

FWIW, I'm not a huge fan of projection mapping right now, because, again, they've overused it. But if it's done right and in a limited fashion, it can be a great addition.

My comment didn't come across as intended. I'm not dinging LED's as old tech, just very overused already because as you said, it's too one-trick-pony the way they are using it right now.

ToTBellHop

I always felt like Future World played with light at night. They are continuing that. I hope the spine area has cool lighting (and I’m not expecting the waterfalls to merely change color).

At present, with such a huge hole in the middle of the park, it’s hard to judge the lighting. I do think they improved the special Flower and Garden lighting this year over the past.

Haymarket2008

I still wonder how nobody in Imagineering had the idea to make SMRT-1 a server in Connections. He served food at the Contemporary for YEARS after being removed from CommuniCore. Literally every Asian hotpot restaurant in Orlando has robot servers.

Agreed! Such a missed opportunity to not bring him back in some capacity. Holding out hope.

Thelazer

Blah Blah.. okay great you guys brought back the same "look" of the original font's and some unique features that echo (let me know if we get carpeted walls.. I'll be impressed by that.)

Then we get this:

"commemorate that with the talent and skill found within the kitchen, and those who gather together to enjoy each other’s company over a meal."

That sounds like someone at Olive Garden wrote that.
Please be better.

The end result, we all know is going to be a burger, chicken tender, fries and one "healthy meal choice" (that no one is going to buy anyways) and a soda machine.. hell if we even end up with that.

I said this one before, it's like we have two different teams working here.

The front entrance rehab and space ship earth new lighting team (AMAZING WORK!)

Then the "World Whatever" team and that mess going on in the back half of the park.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

If only the food was 1/8 as good as the BS Chef Zach pushes out.

We all know what we're getting with the Electric Umbrella 2.
200w.gif

castlecake2.0

Blah Blah.. okay great you guys brought back the same "look" of the original font's and some unique features that echo (let me know if we get carpeted walls.. I'll be impressed by that.)

Then we get this:

"commemorate that with the talent and skill found within the kitchen, and those who gather together to enjoy each other’s company over a meal."

That sounds like someone at Olive Garden wrote that.
Please be better.

The end result, we all know is going to be a burger, chicken tender, fries and one "healthy meal choice" (that no one is going to buy anyways) and a soda machine.. hell if we even end up with that.

I said this one before, it's like we have two different teams working here.

The front entrance rehab and space ship earth new lighting team (AMAZING WORK!)

Then the "World Whatever" team and that mess going on in the back half of the park.
It’s a quick service restaurant what do you want him to say?

Thelazer

I'd be happy with "It's going to serve AMAZING Food" as the FIRST thing he says.

It's about the FOOD FIRST.
I don't care how "Epcoty" it is.

Tell me it's going to have the best damn juicy burger, that is WORTH 18 dollars.
Tell me how it's hand massaged meat, that ONLY grows in the Epcot "Not Meat, but Fake Meat" lab.
Tell me how those fry's are cooked in the oil, made from plants grown at the land.
Then Tell me how COOL the chicken nuggets are, because they are shaped like Figment!

That's what I'm looking for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom