Connections Cafe and Eatery

Cmdr_Crimson

(Soft, reassuring voice)

“Here at Connections Cafe, consumers will share magical stories and connect their diverse backgrounds in a modern cafeteria style environment.”

n76hghctwys61.jpg

Magic Feather

Under the impression that construction on this is being somewhat rushed, so that the central corridor (essentially continuing the interior curve of Creations all the way to SSE) can be opened and the East bypass can be closed prior to the opening of Guardians. Not sure if the entire building will open at once though.

Obobru

People for years outside of fandoms have complained Epcot was boring so management decided that obviously with great gate numbers for decades boring works so went in for the most boring improvements they could make. Make everything as bland as possible and if you can't make it bland make it underwhelming. Epcot has always been focused on the future and as in the past many of the things you see in Epcot will become commonplace (at Disney) so expect the bland and underwhelming to be rolled out in the future resort wide, bland "improvements" have already started to be rolled out to hotels.

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
So, this photo was taken the day before last. That white area in the upper center of the photo has a sort of "wave pattern" to it, and the LED'S give it a hue, which was seen in my photo yesterday. It follows the entire western facing side of the interior, leading me to believe it's the bar for Starbucks.

20220209_190742.jpg
20220201_200326.jpg

UNCgolf

I'm not a fan of almost anything they're doing with EPCOT right now, but I don't really know what else they were supposed to do with this cafe.

I loved Electric Umbrella's interior for nostalgic reasons, but it was very much late 80s/early 90s design. It wouldn't have looked out of place in a mall in that era. This appears to be following in its footsteps by following current design trends. I've said elsewhere that I think current design trends are less likely to inspire nostalgia in the future because they don't have a lot of touches that ground them in a specific period -- they're embracing concepts that have existed for decades and you can find similar spaces from years earlier -- but that's not the point.

Last edited:

Stupido

Yeah, I really love everything Epcot is doing with lighting and coloring. I love the idea of having the color coded food stands, and bathrooms, and overhead lights. I know all of this construction is getting a lot of negative feedback on here, but I think they're doing a really great job of taking Epcot's colorful past and updating it for today's aesthetic. I understand when people say that they feel the core message of the park has shifted, but the work they're doing (minus the barges) has been so beautiful. I truly can't wait to see more walls come down and final products.

dreday3

Yeah, I really love everything Epcot is doing with lighting and coloring. I love the idea of having the color coded food stands, and bathrooms, and overhead lights. I know all of this construction is getting a lot of negative feedback on here, but I think they're doing a really great job of taking Epcot's colorful past and updating it for today's aesthetic. I understand when people say that they feel the core message of the park has shifted, but the work they're doing (minus the barges) has been so beautiful. I truly can't wait to see more walls come down and final products.

I agree, I think aesthetically, the area formally known as Future World in Epcot is going to be gorgeous.

castlecake2.0

I'm not a fan of almost anything they're doing with EPCOT right now, but I don't really know what else they were supposed to do with this cafe.

I loved Electric Umbrella's interior for nostalgic reasons, but it was very much late 80s/early 90s design. It wouldn't have looked out of place in a mall in that era. This appears to be following in its footsteps by following current design trends. I've said elsewhere that I think current design trends are less likely to inspire nostalgia in the future because they don't have a lot of touches that ground them in a specific period -- they're embracing concepts that have existed for decades and you can find similar spaces from years earlier -- but that's not the point.
The fans have been clear, they want something that’s modern, but not that modern, and also something that doesn’t look like modern in the real world, but also something EPCOT but not too EPCOT but also a little lower case Epcot (‘95!) and not include IP unless it is EPCOT Center/EPCOT/Epcot IP also LEDs are sooooo outdated so dont use LEDs but also don’t use incandescent lights because that’s too frontierland/Canada pavilion, also don’t use sliding automatic doors because those won’t exist in the future (even though it is not called future world anymore). Also don’t call it connections because that’s weird but somehow everyone just accepted that electric umbrella was a perfectly normal name for a food service location. Also , carpet walls.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom