connect the Animal Kingdom by monorail

mouse_luv

Yes and all 4 parks should have supple offerings and plentiful entertainment and not look like abandoned worlds (hello I see you EPCOT futureworld). But that's not going to happen in this lifetime either so...:banghead:

French Quarter

Yes because you know me oh so well and want to attack me over a stupid monorail thread?! Sounds like you are the oh so unhumble one? I get along just fine here, thank you very much. Just because myself and several others don't agree with your opinion doesn't allow for you to attack us and act like we are the ones in the wrong here.

A monorail expansion is NOT coming to the AK nor DHS nor anywhere else for that matter. If you want to beat your heads against the wall over it, so be it (in the transportation forum). Good day.

Check-Yourself-Before-You-Wreck-Yourself.jpg

You might notice that I actually agree with your opinion on the monorail and AK....completely. What I disagree with is the bullying. It's like a schoolyard in here.

And I apologize for my sarcasm in the previous post. It was spoken out of frustration and did not contribute positively to the thread.

Anywho...back to monorails...

Goofyernmost

When the Monorails were first put in WDW, it was ground breaking. It was considered by many to be a look into the future and a marvel in urban planning. However, they did not catch on in the U.S. to any measurable degree. So instead of a transportation system that was accepted in cities it was just thought of as a nice thing, but, not worth the investment.

Without that massive trend of cities putting in Monorail systems the costs were never able to drop like in other transportation systems. They were, like the rest of Disney, an example of Disney's ability to create something that previously didn't exist in this country. (It did in others, but, it still never caught on as the way to go.) It was too ridged in it's flexibility to cover in depth and therefore not something that communities were willing to finance. Consequently, it became a utility Theme Park Ride and nothing more. It carried a lot of people, but, I'll bet that the ferries carried even more. It was not economically sound or the most efficient mode of transportation, it was just different and interesting. Without the investment of communities, it is a very high priced option and since Disney already has a sufficient representation of the Monorails with the MK loops and the Epcot loop there really is no reason to spend massive amounts of money that only a few would ever be able to experience and that is all that the Monorails are at Disney... they are an experience with a minor utility, nothing more. They had to add the ferries after because the Monorails could not handle the volume of riders going to MK and there are only so many trains that can run on the same rail at any given time.

That would be a reason, and a sound business one, why there are not more Monorails. They would be a nice thrill for a few, but, not capable of supporting enough traffic to make it pay. It's just plainly a bad investment. One can blame it on Disney being cheap if it makes one feel better, but, sometimes things just have to be the way they are. The Monorail exists in and around MK and Epcot. Anyone that wants to ride it has plenty of opportunity to do so. It doesn't have to be everywhere.

Moral of the story... you will never see any additional Monorail destinations in this or any other lifetime. In fact, we will be lucky if there are any at all 20 years from now.

mouse_luv

You might notice that I actually agree with your opinion on the monorail and AK....completely. What I disagree with is the bullying. It's like a schoolyard in here.

And I apologize for my sarcasm in the previous post. It was spoken out of frustration and did not contribute positively to the thread.

Schoolyard is how this place gets sometimes, you have to roll with it.
As far as bullying, I don't participate, nor do I like it. If you thought I was bullying, there must be a misinterpretation of my previous posts.
Apology accepted and let us move on from this.

Tony the Tigger

When the Monorails were first put in WDW, it was ground breaking. It was considered by many to be a look into the future and a marvel in urban planning. However, they did not catch on in the U.S. to any measurable degree. So instead of a transportation system that was accepted in cities it was just thought of as a nice thing, but, not worth the investment.

Without that massive trend of cities putting in Monorail systems the costs were never able to drop like in other transportation systems. They were, like the rest of Disney, an example of Disney's ability to create something that previously didn't exist in this country.

OK - so let's do that again. If monorails were the futuristic transportation of the 1970s, come up with a new futuristic transportation for now – and use it to better connect animal kingdom to the rest of the world. A new, greener, more efficient people mover that feels like a ride instead of a bus.

Goofyernmost

OK - so let's do that again. If monorails were the futuristic transportation of the 1970s, come up with a new futuristic transportation for now – and use it to better connect animal kingdom to the rest of the world. A new, greener, more efficient people mover that feels like a ride instead of a bus.
For example? There are buses, trains, boats, people movers and Monorails constantly in operation, what new thing can you imagine? Besides the thought that AK is difficult to get to is not reality. It's as easy as any of them.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Why does the transportation system need to be futuristic? Futuristic is an ancient word meaning "Neat, but buggy as hell and completely undependable".

Since you would need to move up to 6 figures worth of people per day I would want that system to be fast, flexible and dependable. I could care less if it looked cool.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
Why does the transportation system need to be futuristic? Futuristic is an ancient word meaning "Neat, but buggy as hell and completely undependable".

Since you would need to move up to 6 figures worth of people per day I would want that system to be fast, flexible and dependable. I could care less if it looked cool.

the monorail moves 150,000 people per day, not bad.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
For example? There are buses, trains, boats, people movers and Monorails constantly in operation, what new thing can you imagine? Besides the thought that AK is difficult to get to is not reality. It's as easy as any of them.

wether its perception or truth, I hear it all the time that its a far park and a hot park. I will still challegne anyone given the choice to ride a bus rather than a monorail to AK.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster

Without that massive trend of cities putting in Monorail systems the costs were never able to drop like in other transportation systems. They were, like the rest of Disney, an example of Disney's ability to create something that previously didn't exist in this country. (It did in others, but, it still never caught on as the way to go.) It was too ridged in it's flexibility to cover in depth and therefore not something that communities were willing to finance. Consequently, it became a utility Theme Park Ride and nothing more. It carried a lot of people, but, I'll bet that the ferries carried even more. It was not economically sound or the most efficient mode of transportation, it was just different and interesting. Without the investment of communities, it is a very high priced option and since Disney already has a sufficient representation of the Monorails with the MK loops and the Epcot loop there really is no reason to spend massive amounts of money that only a few would ever be able to experience and that is all that the Monorails are at Disney... they are an experience with a minor utility, nothing more. They had to add the ferries after because the Monorails could not handle the volume of riders going to MK and there are only so many trains that can run on the same rail at any given time.

That would be a reason, and a sound business one, why there are not more Monorails. They would be a nice thrill for a few, but, not capable of supporting enough traffic to make it pay. It's just plainly a bad investment. One can blame it on Disney being cheap if it makes one feel better, but, sometimes things just have to be the way they are. The Monorail exists in and around MK and Epcot. Anyone that wants to ride it has plenty of opportunity to do so. It doesn't have to be everywhere.

Moral of the story... you will never see any additional Monorail destinations in this or any other lifetime. In fact, we will be lucky if there are any at all 20 years from now.

The day the monorail and ideas like that dissapear from Disney is when I hang it up. I go back to, Is Disney a unique or an ordinary destination. When they become ordinary then they will lose it. I believe Disney is sustained by a core group of LOYAL FANS that are holding onto the Walt Disney Dream.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The day the monorail and ideas like that dissapear from Disney is when I hang it up. I go back to, Is Disney a unique or an ordinary destination. When they become ordinary then they will lose it. I believe Disney is sustained by a core group of LOYAL FANS that are holding onto the Walt Disney Dream.
WDW is a very unique city with very real and very booing problems that need real solutions, not pixie dust.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
Will one buss accident or breakdown shut down the entire system?

No.

Would you like to know why?

Flexibility.

almost every major city uses an elevated train system, the Orlando airport uses bascially a monorail to take you to the bagage area. They use them, depend on them and yes they can breakdown. Monorails and elevated trains are not subject to traffic lights, pedestrians crossing, obstructions etc. Its not their sole mode of transportation but a component of a variety of modes. Disney is the same, I'm just saying that I prefer it to a bus, will it happen probaly not based on what we see going on at Disney right now. They are not in an agressive or progressive mode.

G00fyDad

almost every major city uses an elevated train system, the Orlando airport uses bascially a monorail to take you to the bagage area. They use them, depend on them and yes they can breakdown. Monorails and elevated trains are not subject to traffic lights, pedestrians crossing, obstructions etc. Its not their sole mode of transportation but a component of a variety of modes. Disney is the same, I'm just saying that I prefer it to a bus, will it happen probaly not based on what we see going on at Disney right now. They are not in an agressive or progressive mode.

LA, Chicago, Philly, Vegas, and New York constitute "almost every major city" to you? o_O

This is just the top 10 major US cities by population:
New York 8,491,079
Los Angeles 3,928,864
Chicago 2,722,389
Houston 2,239,558
Philadelphia 1,560,297
Phoenix 1,537,058
San Antonio 1,436,697
San Diego 1,381,069
Dallas 1,281,047
San Jose 1,015,785

Yes one bus accident can shut down an entire highway. I have been on highways stuck behind an accident for hours.

Then that was possibly your fault since there are many roads to choose from with which to get around an accident. Only very rarely have I seen accidents that shut down a road and do not allow for people to turn around and/or take another road to bypass the accident. Try that on a monorail.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
LA, Chicago, Philly, Vegas, and New York constitute "almost every major city" to you? o_O

Then that was possibly your fault since there are many roads to choose from with which to get around an accident. Only very rarely have I seen accidents that shut down a road and do not allow for people to turn around and/or take another road to bypass the accident. Try that on a monorail.

OK, lets just shut down the monorails they are a useless, expensive , dangerous form of transportation. You can argue this forever but I'm just trying to say that expanding to the AK would be great for guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom