Congress Questions Next Gen

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This is a puffed up congressman ruffling his feathers for the hometown voters and bored CSPAN viewers. As most congressmen do.

That said, this is a PR nightmare for Disney. After being a Disney watcher for a few decades, they absolutely hate losing control of their message, and their MyMagic+ message is slipping away from them quickly. The prospect of a sitting Disney CEO being called before a congressional committee, even if only in written format, to answer questions about a new theme park initiative that cost the company 1+ Billion dollars is disastrous. The press will jump on this, condense it into an 8 second sound bite and 45 second vapid "story" for the brain-impaired viewers at home, and the whole MyMagic+ thing becomes tainted goods worse than DCA circa 2001.

Disney is losing control of their message on MyMagic+, and for Disney that means complete disaster. It's a grey and rainy day today in Burbank, and you can bet a cold wind has blown down the halls of the executive suites with this little congressional bombshell.
All very true. Disney needs to come out publicly with details quite quickly.

maxairmike

Of course not. I have a feeling they will put them in a number of key points. The reality is that is not real time tracking. Even if they were to put them at 24" on center throughout all of WDW property what evil could befall me by Disney knowing that I went to Aloha Isle, bought a Dole float, sat outside of the Swiss Family Treehouse for 9 minutes, took 2 minutes to walk to the bathroom and exited 3 minutes later?

Well it could be real time if they wanted to look at it that way, I would think. Will it be used that way? I doubt it. I don't know if any evil would befall you, but I can certainly see privacy advocates having a field day, especially if they want everyone to "think about the children." The problem for Disney - at least as it appears to me - is that they've been mum on the whole thing for two reasons: 1) they don't want to tip their hand to the competition with too much information, and 2) no matter how they try to present it, there really isn't any way for them to run with it that looks 100% positive and rosy to the general public like they prefer. Now that the matter is being forced, they're looking that much worse, and it all comes across as worse than it probably should be.

nytimez

Of course not. I have a feeling they will put them in a number of key points. The reality is that is not real time tracking. Even if they were to put them at 24" on center throughout all of WDW property what evil could befall me by Disney knowing that I went to Aloha Isle, bought a Dole float, sat outside of the Swiss Family Treehouse for 9 minutes, took 2 minutes to walk to the bathroom and exited 3 minutes later?

I tend to believe the problems with these things aren't in what evils you may be able to envision... but the ones you can't. Laws of unintended consequences and all that.

TP2000

Soooo will this congressman be pulling in Kings Island also since they debut their bands this Summer?

Don't be silly. Congressman Markey knows a national story when he sees one, and Kings Island isn't known beyond the Rust Belt. Disney is the big whale, and if Markey can get Bob Iger to kneel before his committee and explain under oath how his private company works and why it should be allowed to continue, then Markey's next election is a cake walk.

"Mr. Iger, are you now or have you ever been tracking how many churros my child eats in Frontierland?"

Your tax dollars at work. And Disney will be furious because as silly as the questions may seem, they just lost control of their MyMagic+ message on a national scale.

GrumpyFan

Right. I see no harm in the data they will be able to collect from me while at WDW or that they would be able to do anything with it that would cause me concern.
Am I naive and overly trusting, no, I really don't think I am. I just can't see how my spending and riding habits at WDW could be used in any way that is damaging or an invasion of my privacy. I have nothing to hide, nor am I afraid of what they might deduce other than that I like Dole Whips and Tower of Terror, and don't like smelly tourists or long lines.

Brian Noble

Ed Markey
Markey is rather famous for crusading about various things to do with amusement/theme parks. Usually, he's worried about the lack of Federal oversight for park safety. This is just more of the same, and he rarely if ever gets traction with any of the committees on which he serves with these issues. He can write all the letters he wants (and I suspect general counsel will provide some sort of content-free response) but unless and until a committee takes up the charge, that's the end of that.

maxairmike

And Disney will be furious because as silly as the questions may seem, they just lost control of their MyMagic+ message on a national scale.

Bold, underlined, and italicized for emphasis, because this is really what it is all about. By being so silent and not controlling the message well coming out of the gate, this is what has happened, and they're not going to be able to put the cat back in the bag (or whale in the ocean, as the case may be).

Skyway

Many of you are focusing too much on the "tracking" part.

It sounds like the Congressman is more interested in how that data will be used, and whether children will be targeted by ads or other commercial influence as a result of wearing the bands around the park.

That is the $2 billion question.

GrumpyFan

All very true. Disney needs to come out publicly with details quite quickly.

Agreed, they need to answer this in public form, and with a very public FAQ section online, as well as appoint a "privacy advocate" either internal or external to help oversee this, lest it could get sticky.

JIMINYCR

Don't be silly. Congressman Markey knows a national story when he sees one, ..... Your tax dollars at work.

Sure.... It goes something like this .... Sounds like we need to have a congressional family trip to Disney... at taxpayers expense... to ... ahhh just look into this. Right? Mr. Iger... can you include a VIP tour in with this? What about some other freebies... you do realize I'm a congressman don't you?

rioriz

Thanks
Don't be silly. Congressman Markey knows a national story when he sees one, and Kings Island isn't known beyond the Rust Belt. Disney is the big whale, and if Markey can get Bob Iger to kneel before his committee and explain under oath how his private company works and why it should be allowed to continue, then Markey's next election is a cake walk.

"Mr. Iger, are you now or have you ever been tracking how many churros my child eats in Frontierland?"

Your tax dollars at work. And Disney will be furious because as silly as the questions may seem, they just lost control of their MyMagic+ message on a national scale.

Thanks for the reply. I know it was a silly question but the multiple RFID threads on this board are acting like this is something new when it isn't. It's been done with much success in the past at other resorts and no such controversy to this level.

I understand Disney is on another level from Great Wolf, but as one who has used their multiple times I will tell you it is largely enjoyed and welcome from the patrons.

PhilharMagician

I doubt it. While most of the questions are legit, the continued use of the word "geolocation" shows an ignorance of what the technology actually does. Remove that from the document and you are left with a bunch of simple questions that should all have simple answers. From a legal standpoint I think it will ultimately come down to "Our sandbox, our rules. Don't like it, don't come.".

I wanted to clarify Geolocation term myself and I pasted a definition from Wikipedia.

Below from Wikipedia:
Geolocation is closely related to positioning but can be distinguished from it by a greater emphasis on determining a meaningful location (e.g. a street address) rather than just a set of geographic coordinates. Specifically this involves the use of advanced radio frequency (RF) location systems utilising, for example, Time Difference Of Arrival (TDOA) where greater specificity of location is possible. TDOA systems often utilise mapping displays or other geographic information system. This is in contrast to more traditional radiolocation technologies, for example Direction Finding where a line of bearing to a transmitter is achieved and not the specific location.

I am glad that it is being looked into. I believe that some good can come out of this system, but on the other hand I am not happy thinking about the tracking of my child or the possibility of knowing that my daughter is alone in the room by simple knowing who came and left through RFID feedback. Another disappointing factor is the use of such a large sum of $$$$ to bring WDW a system that does nothing to expand the offerings, but possibly and I want to emphasize "possibly" will be able to better spread guests out though the park.

I would love to see the return letter that will be drafted by the legal department.

G00fyDad

Is this "tracking" any different from what could be observd with the naked eye? If an employee could observe how guests move about the property and take notes as to those movements, what's the big deal if that observation is streamlined and digitized?

Nothing. And that's all there is to it. Some people just think that companies and governments doing this are trying to steal their soul or something. :rolleyes: They may as well go live on a deserted island because they probably have at least one thing in their wallet/purse right now that has RFID in it. and there are a ton of other ways their movements are being, or can be, tracked every day. But the moment it goes public that some company is doing this they lose it and start screaming about privacy. WTH is Disney really going to be able to do with this information? Ooooooooo.. I visited the bathroom by the Crystal Palace twice in the same day. I must have a small bladder. Log that one in Disney!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom