Confused??? Why is the Sword and the Stone show featured in the new commercials?

kashmir

I have seen characters riding the Carrousel!

Also, the chef ALWAYS comes out and talks to me because I have food allergies. One walked me around the buffet at 1900 PF and offered to make me literally anything I wanted. I felt too embarassed to take him up on it.

Same thing for me at Boma - Arol, the chef - was fabulous and made me a custom-meal despite my protests!! Love that touch!

AEfx

I was actually shocked when I first went to WDW and you had to wait in line at specific places to see characters. I had seen all of the commericials with just random interactions, so I wwas disappointed to realize that Mickey doesn't just walk around randomly.

I understand why they can't do that with major characters, though.

I have been chased by the Queen of hearts just walking in fantasyland one day, and had some random interactions during MNSSHP

They used to. In the 80's. I remember running into space suit Minnie near SSE, for instance. I don't recall waiting for anyone else in line besides Mickey and Minnie, and I had a full autograph book. There was also exactly one character meal - at the Empress Lilly, not even in a park!

Then, like a lot of things - word gets out, people get obsessed, and Disney realizes that they can "entertain" people much more cheaply by making them stand in a line for 1/2 hour while a character getting $11 an hour and a host getting $9 an hour than spending millions on attractions to increase capacity.

It's so rare to see the random interactions anymore, but it is very special occasionally when they do.

Cosmic Commando

They used to. In the 80's. I remember running into space suit Minnie near SSE, for instance. I don't recall waiting for anyone else in line besides Mickey and Minnie, and I had a full autograph book. There was also exactly one character meal - at the Empress Lilly, not even in a park!

Then, like a lot of things - word gets out, people get obsessed, and Disney realizes that they can "entertain" people much more cheaply by making them stand in a line for 1/2 hour while a character getting $11 an hour and a host getting $9 an hour than spending millions on attractions to increase capacity.

It's so rare to see the random interactions anymore, but it is very special occasionally when they do.
Isn't this a chicken and the egg kinda thing? It could also be that the random interactions were so great, word got out, and demand started to increase. Eventually you would have reached a point where the characters would have a mob of people with line-cutting and hurt feelings around them when they were trying to roam... hence the queue system that we have now. Have you been to a character meal? Even in a situation where every character is virtually guaranteed to visit your table, people will still chase the characters around the restaurant and crowd around.

Not that I think Disney minds the queuing for characters system, but I don't think it's their "fault" necessarily.

AEfx

Isn't this a chicken and the egg kinda thing? It could also be that the random interactions were so great, word got out, and demand started to increase. Eventually you would have reached a point where the characters would have a mob of people with line-cutting and hurt feelings around them when they were trying to roam... hence the queue system that we have now. Have you been to a character meal? Even in a situation where every character is virtually guaranteed to visit your table, people will still chase the characters around the restaurant and crowd around.

Not that I think Disney minds the queuing for characters system, but I don't think it's their "fault" necessarily.

And to be honest, I don't think M&G's are such a bad thing at all. They keep people in lines that I don't have to wait in while I enjoy other stuff. ;)

BUT...Disney fed and bred that culture very well. The invented the whole autograph thing, and the books, etc., and one can't deny that they do over use M&G's to a certain extent.

I don't think it's nefarious - one just needs to see a child smile while meeting Cindy to see how much kids like it - but I can't help but think that wasn't so much the goal as, "how can we increase capacity without overtaxing our attractions."

DisneyFan 2000

It's funny you should say the Queen doesn't jump people from behind when I had Frollo do it to me a few years back. It was quite funny actually, and me my brother and everyone around us got a good kick out of it. These kind of things happen quite often, but from what little experience I have it mostly happens when the parks are a ghost town. Any other way and you're just asking for trouble - Either a kid complains the character didn't notice him, the character accidentally touches someone in the wrong place at the wrong time, people crowd and jam the character etc... It's just too much worry over nothing.

asianway

It's funny you should say the Queen doesn't jump people from behind when I had Frollo do it to me a few years back. It was quite funny actually, and me my brother and everyone around us got a good kick out of it. These kind of things happen quite often, but from what little experience I have it mostly happens when the parks are a ghost town. Any other way and you're just asking for trouble - Either a kid complains the character didn't notice him, the character accidentally touches someone in the wrong place at the wrong time, people crowd and jam the character etc... It's just too much worry over nothing.

Lots of posts in this thread about things that happened a few years back. Over the past ten years in Orlando, the character interactions have degenerated with those touched being wiped out. The latest nail in the coffin was the elimination of characters from EMH, where they would routinely ride the attractions with guests.

GiveMeTheMusic

I used to be friends with several fuzzy and face characters, and the one thing that would improve everyone's experience with the characters immeasurably would be a ban on autograph books.

In my exhaustive and totally scientific field trials, autograph books did absolutely nothing but provide a hastily scribbled souvenir lacking uniqueness and substance. A guest without an autograph book was like an oasis within a set -when you're not flipping some giant photo-holding overpriced monstrosity around with one or both hands, you're freed up for hugs, games, conversation -you know, MEMORIES. When was the last time you were in a magical moment thread and someone gushed, "Oh I just can't believe it!! DD was so excited - MICKEY SIGNED HER BOOK! We couldn't believe it! You should see the pictures! It was so magical! Walt would have puked a rainbow!!!"

You don't hear that, because it's not magical, it's mundane. The character is reduced to a task (Gotta catch 'em all!) and the child's penchant for creativity (if they had any to begin with, which sadly, most children, thanks to the proliferation of media, do not in 2011) is quashed in pursuit of the almighty signature.

I can't tell you how many children didn't get to spend quality time with "my friends" because their parents insisted on the books. Coincidentally, it's never the children, it's always the parents. ("I paid 25 bucks for these things and you're gonna fill 'em up dammit!") But the parents who truly stepped back and let their children meet me unfettered, got rewarded with magical experiences, even in a lined-up M&G situation. Those were the times when I felt like Walt would have been proud of my work. I never felt like Walt would be proud of me being an autograph factory; it's impersonal and distinctly unmagical. In fact, one night, I got to roam on Main Street in a thick crowd of people and who should I come across? Mr. Iger himself, who watched me interact with several children and adults. He smiled as he did; I'd like to think he was proud too.

I miss the job, but every time I return to the parks I notice how much more industrialized characters have become. It's sad, and it defeats the purpose. I was impressed with their attempts, albeit misguided, to incorporate meaningful and elaborate interactions within the new Fantasyland. It's too bad the Cinderella effect in particular won't be seen, but an attraction is a better money spend. The easiest solution that will never be enacted because it affects merch sales would be a book ban. It sure would change the atmosphere though, and would give guests a far superior experience.

NoChesterHester

^^^ thanks for the insight ^^^

I happen to agree. Unfortunately, my wife and I were the pushers of the autographs this past trip. Our princess just really wanted to meet the characters. In hindsight the best experiences were at MNSSHP where the book was forgotten. The interaction and a quick photo became the focus of documenting the memory. Much better and I think we got better character interaction because of it.

We have never once re-opened the autpgraph book, but we look at those pictures all the time.

aka_emilicious

I used to be friends with several fuzzy and face characters, and the one thing that would improve everyone's experience with the characters immeasurably would be a ban on autograph books.

In my exhaustive and totally scientific field trials, autograph books did absolutely nothing but provide a hastily scribbled souvenir lacking uniqueness and substance. A guest without an autograph book was like an oasis within a set -when you're not flipping some giant photo-holding overpriced monstrosity around with one or both hands, you're freed up for hugs, games, conversation -you know, MEMORIES. When was the last time you were in a magical moment thread and someone gushed, "Oh I just can't believe it!! DD was so excited - MICKEY SIGNED HER BOOK! We couldn't believe it! You should see the pictures! It was so magical! Walt would have puked a rainbow!!!"

You don't hear that, because it's not magical, it's mundane. The character is reduced to a task (Gotta catch 'em all!) and the child's penchant for creativity (if they had any to begin with, which sadly, most children, thanks to the proliferation of media, do not in 2011) is quashed in pursuit of the almighty signature.

I can't tell you how many children didn't get to spend quality time with "my friends" because their parents insisted on the books. Coincidentally, it's never the children, it's always the parents. ("I paid 25 bucks for these things and you're gonna fill 'em up dammit!") But the parents who truly stepped back and let their children meet me unfettered, got rewarded with magical experiences, even in a lined-up M&G situation. Those were the times when I felt like Walt would have been proud of my work. I never felt like Walt would be proud of me being an autograph factory; it's impersonal and distinctly unmagical. In fact, one night, I got to roam on Main Street in a thick crowd of people and who should I come across? Mr. Iger himself, who watched me interact with several children and adults. He smiled as he did; I'd like to think he was proud too.

I miss the job, but every time I return to the parks I notice how much more industrialized characters have become. It's sad, and it defeats the purpose. I was impressed with their attempts, albeit misguided, to incorporate meaningful and elaborate interactions within the new Fantasyland. It's too bad the Cinderella effect in particular won't be seen, but an attraction is a better money spend. The easiest solution that will never be enacted because it affects merch sales would be a book ban. It sure would change the atmosphere though, and would give guests a far superior experience.

I completely agree! My friends and I (in our mid-20's) always make a point to play with the characters as much as possible when meeting them. We've always thought its more fun for the characters as well as us. There was one trip to DL where Jessie ended up doing the Single Ladies dance (long story, lol) and 3 years later its one of my favorite stories. However, while we were playing, an irate guest yelled at us to "Hurry up, we have kids!"

/tangent

I have to agree about the character interactions. They most often happen when there aren't a lot of guests around. I'm not sure how it could be done with lots of guests. I had gotten my picture with Chip and Dale at the Adventureland Veranda one year and Dale walked me over to the Aloha Isle stand and pretended to order us food. I could see the families starting to line up and wait for him and get very frustrated. This is why some of that spontaneity is lost--it just doesn't maximize the time.

I've also seen characters ride with guests, eg. Alice & the White Rabbit on the tea cups.

jazzinator

Re: Interactions & Autograph books

I found GiveMeTheMusic's post re: autograph books very interesting.

As a parent of younger kids (5 & 6 y.o), the autograph book was a great way to get them to interact with the characters. My youngest is very social, but my eldest is very shy. Without the book, my eldest would never have interacted or gone near any of the characters. I know the pricing of the books is a money maker, but they are large enough to insert photos of the various meets next to the autographs. Being able to put the pics of them hugging their favorite characters next to the autographs is a great way to remember our trip.

I'm sure it has created a mountain of work for the employees. For my boys, though, it did help and foster their interactions with the characters. I think for some children it is a great icebreaker. Maybe the older kids don't need it but it was great for mine.

JeffH

The commercial and the autograph books

If it hasn't already been made clear, the commercial is about 'memories' not about what is currently at the parks, like my memories of the Davy Crockett Explorer canoes, Plaza Swan Boats, Mike Fink Keel Boats, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Now I'd agree that it's stupid for Disney to 'advertise' memories that you can no longer experience for yourself.
---
As far as autograph books go, I recommend them highly...but not those generic ones, for about the same cost you can get various themed books which I have found generally create many magical memories. Autograph books in general give your kids MORE time with the character(s), especially when there are more than one character in a meet and greet.

I've found and experienced sadly that if you approach a character without a camera and/or autograph book, your dd is lucky to get 5-10 seconds with a character, just enough time for a hug and to realize that you don't have your camera. BUT if you have a special autograph book (or something special to autograph) the character is VERY likely to make a big deal about the book (if it's about them). Last year Tasha brought a 4 book CD readalong princess book to the Ariel/Eric Meet and Greet in Adventureland and Ariel spent nearly 2 minutes paging through the book with Eric and Tasha (and autographing it). There is no loss of time because something is going on, and when one character in a dual meet and greet is signing the other is smothering my dd with attention. Also while the autograph book is being manipulated, you can get a lot of (unposed) pictures before you get the posed ones (during which there is usually no interaction). Another little trick that works in some cases is if you are near the end of the line, work your way to the the back (let them in front of you), because when you are the last one, you can 'command' all their attention and there is no rush to finish (except by the CM to rush them away)...Choo-Choo Soul sung an impromptu Happy Birthday to Tasha a few years ago when we made ourselves last in line.
Another BIG trick is to bring your character specific dolls/plush to the meet and greet, especially if they are new (like Princess and the Frog or Rapunzel were recently), to pose with you and to be admired by their counterparts. (it also helps the characters remember you for your next visit).
We always try to have a 'princess' autograph book for princess autographs (and try to get the cover princess to sign on the 1st page)
We always try to have a 'pooh' autograph book for the Crystal Palace
Or a Mickey or Minnie autograph book for Chef Mickey's.

Again, I can't disagree more with those against autograph books, because they at least give your kids more time with the characters (at least twice the time)...sure the character might be busy with the book, but your kid is at least spending more time with the character compared with being sent on their way after a hug or two...and in the case of a character theme book, could add a special experience with the character reacting to seeing themselves on the book. And it also provides you with the ability to take extra 'natural' pictures of your kid interacting with the character...otherwise, your kid approaches, gets a hug, poses for a couple of shots, gets a goodbye hug (which you'll probably miss because your camera's not ready), then goodbye.
Oh, and one more thing in regards to the autograph being a waste of time...something that the kid doesn't care about...
My darling daughter has always wanted an autograph, always asks if I got an autograph book with me as we approach a meet and greet, and is disappointed if I don't. And from what I know of kids is that they like to get things, and getting an autograph is walking away with something, just for you. Sure you may not ever look at that autograph again, but you got it and it's in your collection (actually we do look back at them occasionally, which is why I also try to date the pages)

So DH and I randomly watched a planning video from 1997 or so on youtube and played the drinking game, but we didn't actually drink...if we had, we would have been wasted. I mean I think we "fake drank" over 30 times at least.

The Sword ceremony was one of the first things I ever encountered at WDW on my first trip.

*watches commerical* They had a show like that?

Yep. Merlin was there and talked about the sword in the stone and had various people come up and try to pull it. When I saw the show, they had a HUGE beefy guy try it, and then this little kid was the one who was able to pull it out. It was very cute.
I don't see why they woudl discontinue it, other than, I guess it creates a crowd smack in the middle of a very busy part of fantasyland, but I felt it was a really great part of the magic, and it couldn't have cost much to have merlin come out for 10 minutes every few hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvNaXlwvIcg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom