(CONFIRMED!) Moana is going to meet in AdventureLand during Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party!

Daveeeeed

I don't necessarily disagree with you Disney under-marketed Moana. Personally, I think they were a little cautious after some of the early noise coming from the Pacific Islander community, and I believe that had a clear impact on its BO performance.

However, Sing, with it's "superior" marketing only beat Moana domestically by $20 MM, and was actually edged out by Moana by $13 MM for total worldwide gross. Currently, Moana is handing both Sing and TSLoP their rears when it comes to home video sales. Both Sing and TSLoP merchandise is sitting on the clearance shelves at my Target while Moana merch is prominently displayed and seems to be selling well.

While I'm sure TWDC execs had hoped for a better box office haul, they always take the long path with IP profitability and Moana will be no exception. It was an absolutely wonderful film and would translate well to any number of theme park attractions.
The initial controversy was a bunch of nonsense that had virtually no impact on the film.

True, but Sing & Secret Life of Pets came from Universal's Illumination, which is only known for Despicable Me while Disney has done many more films. Sing only gained more on account of better marketing and also that it took Moana's legs it would have had in December... December/January is better for films to stay strong, but I think Disney's mistake was to not continue to market it at least lightly for another week. Let's also remember that Moana had better reviews (CinemaScore was the same so that could indicate sing did a better job of reaching to more audiences while delivering a product they expected).

I'm sure Moana will make a huge number more... it's just disapointing from a Box Office standpoint to get beaten by unknown film.

Bottom line is that Universal is trying very hard to make Illumination a famous studio like Disney, but they are also trying to make better on average films than DreamWorks it seems. That drive to push is what Disney needs to restore.

I wish I could just verbally explain this since I don't have enough time to write a 5 page essay on this:D.

Last edited:

WDWFREAK53

Pardon the crude MS Paint...
Is this the idea as far as where Fire Mountain would go?

The maintenance road and train could go through the Mountain (Like Splash) and you could even incorporate the Jungle Cruise into the volcano as well.

Attachments

• Adventureland Expansion Plot.png
    Adventureland Expansion Plot.png
    1 MB · Views: 156

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
DO NOT remove the tiki birds, DO bring back Moana. I did not realize a 10 month old could have a favorite Disney character, but as soon as Moana comes on my daughter drops everything and just stares at that screen. This has come in handy when she is trowing fits in the car instant silance! Would really like to get a picture with her and Moana in Sep.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
DO NOT remove the tiki birds, DO bring back Moana. I did not realize a 10 month old could have a favorite Disney character, but as soon as Moana comes on my daughter drops everything and just stares at that screen. This has come in handy when she is trowing fits in the car instant silance! Would really like to get a picture with her and Moana in Sep.

My two year old is obsessed. I don't really care one way or the other about tiki, but I hope they bring back Moana soon

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
My two year old is obsessed. I don't really care one way or the other about tiki, but I hope they bring back Moana soon

I have always been an attraction over M&G guy and I still am and would be all sorts of angry should the tiki birds fly away. It's just amazing how your kids can make your heart melt, and while at 1 she won't care if she meets Moana but this daddy will!

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I have always been an attraction over M&G guy and I still am and would be all sorts of angry should the tiki birds fly away. It's just amazing how your kids can make your heart melt, and while at 1 she won't care if she meets Moana but this daddy will!

You'd be surprised. I know when she's twenty she won't remember any of it, but my daughter still talks about things that happened when she was one and she's almost two and a half now. They have pretty amazing memory for being in an age where they certainly won't remember anything.

CaptainAmerica

I am pretty surprised a popular character like Moana hasn't been brought back. But then again, they still have Nick and Judy on a float, they waited a LONG time to add Joy, Sadness and Olaf ... WDW does a poor job with M&G variety overall.
She'll be back. This is the general order of things. They have a meet and greet in Hollywood Studios while the movies is out, then there's a gap while they prepare a more permanent space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom