Complimentary park wide WiFi now available in the Magic Kingdom

disney1077

I think this is great news. I dont really use my phone to much when I am on vacation. But it will be nice to check fastpass and stand by times on my phone and make adrs.

jdmccol

Thank you, I appreciate your feed back and will take it into consideration. You may take your tinfoil hat off. My comments were for those who may not be aware of the risk. I don't wish to alarm, simply to educate. I don't wish to cause trouble or be a problem, just share what knowledge I have.
I appreciate your advice - I would never consider using a public Wi-Fi for banking.

flynnibus

Premium Member
A step in the right direction for the parks and guests. However, if I were in charge of IT for WDW (one of these days!), I would have engaged the various cell companies and worked with them to install LTE towers around the parks in a way that wouldn't ruin the views (i.e. the 3G cell tower right outside of DAK that was camouflaged to look like a tree). Let them have to deal with uptime, security and having enough bandwidth for thousands of guests.

That assumes you can get them to actually pay to do it. And unfortunately cell radios are far more bulky and unsightly than wifi radios are.

I think if the problem was simply 'get the cell guys to do it' they would have done it a long time ago :)

Disneyland is right in an urban area, and they can't get decent cell radio coverage either.

Eventually you need to bear the brunt and do it yourself. The advantage is you get to control it as well.

ExtinctJenn

I appreciate your advice - I would never consider using a public Wi-Fi for banking.
I work for one of the "big banks" in the US and happen to have our mobile product offers as a subject matter expert area. These days, there is very little risk in banking via a public hotspot, especially if you're using the mobile app provided by your bank. The way the information is passed over the network the chances of something happening are slim. Now that said, using a mobile browser is also just as safe but it's easier to find a way into. Your bank should have a mobile security gaurantee in place that protects you as well. :)

NOTE: These opinions are my personal opinions and are not associated in any way with the bank I work for. (we've been asked to say that whenever we reference our employment, even if not by name, so I'm being a good little employee).

NowInc

I'm pretty sure these networks will not be completely open. In fact I'd go as far as to say it will greatly limit the sites you CAN go to. This will help keep peoples data safe, as well as keep network speeds manageable.

luv

A few weeks ago, my phone showed a Disney network available and I though, "Cool. We're getting wi-Fi!" so, I tried to use it. Everything was taking forever and I didn't know how to get out of it, so I shut the thing down and started over. I elected not to use it and the phone worked fine.

I don't know if that was beta testing or what. I do know that I've had trouble with Disney's wi-Fi in the hotels and wonder if the park one will be as iffy as the hotel one.

Bolt

I would try to help you uderstand how this technically works, but I've been accused of not knowing what I'm talking about and ignorant without white papers to tell me what to say. So until I am given permission to educate those who actually want to know, i'll stay quiet.

*tears*

JWG

If this operates at twice the speed of the free resort WiFi, we'll be clipping along at the speed of a 14.4k baud modem. Stellar. While I love the concept and wish they would do this as I do use my phone heavily in the parks for wait times and such, the resort internet issues are so horrendous that I'm not holding my breath they can figure out the parks.

Buried20KLeague

I'm pretty sure these networks will not be completely open. In fact I'd go as far as to say it will greatly limit the sites you CAN go to. This will help keep peoples data safe, as well as keep network speeds manageable.

I certainly hope not. How else am I supposed to visit my usual "adult" sites while waiting in line for Splash? I can't use 3G... The videos are just WAYYYY too choppy!

olinecoach61

Yeahhh...Just what I want to do...Tweet saying I'm Riding Big Thunder...:rolleyes:
Microsoft-Pokes-Fun-At-Ridiculous-Smartphone-Habits-in-New-Ad_600_400.jpg

I'll leave my phone in my Room thank you..
Ha ha!

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Epcot is next.. then AK, then studios. unless something has changed, that's the schedule of roll out..

It's important to note that the plan is for resort wide Wi-Fi ultimately.. including the world drive thoroughfare areas.

Sweet, you repeated word for word what an install tech told my family last December.

Polydweller

A step in the right direction for the parks and guests. However, if I were in charge of IT for WDW (one of these days!), I would have engaged the various cell companies and worked with them to install LTE towers around the parks in a way that wouldn't ruin the views (i.e. the 3G cell tower right outside of DAK that was camouflaged to look like a tree). Let them have to deal with uptime, security and having enough bandwidth for thousands of guests.
But LTE would still mean huge roaming costs for non-American guests. Disney needed something that lets all guests access thir Next Gen initiatives and wifi does that with, of course, no roaming charges.

LudwigVonDrake

Last week while staying at the Wilderness Lodge I was trying to access the Wi-Fi and for the most part it stunk. I kept losing connection with my iphone 4S and I gave up after a while because loading time was very slow. I hope the park Wi-Fi is faster and can handle the load.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom