Trip Report *COMPLETED* When We're Together - December 2021

"Sure it's nice to open a gift that's tied up with a perfect bow. But the greatest present of all was given to me long ago. It's something I would never trade, it's the family that we've made. 'Cause when we're together, I have everything on my list. And when we're together, I have all I've wished. All around the Christmas tree, there'll be dreams coming true. But when we're together, then my favorite gift is you."

"When We're Together" has held a special place in my heart since the first time I watched "Olaf's Frozen Adventure." It is even more special now that we have the gift that we prayed and wished for, for so long. I am so beyond thrilled to be preparing to take our son on his very first Disney trip, and I can't wait to take you all along with us!

Who: By this point, many of you know me (Katie) and my hubby Jason

20150A44-027E-4A2A-8AA6-7A09FC13C161.jpeg

And now we have a little sidekick, our son Lincoln! He will be six months old on this trip.

54BD54F1-AF04-44DE-9363-9D455134021F.jpeg

0002E393-3748-4AC9-81FB-E2C7EB5B28C8.jpeg

C4C4DF67-3618-4E7B-8F35-F7400ED03F25.jpeg

We will also be meeting up with some of my extended family while we're down there! My "Disney Aunt and Uncle" - they are FL residents and DVC owners; their son (my cousin) and his wife, and their son who is 8 months older than Lincoln. Not sure if I'll be posting any pics of the family on here, but you'll here about them I'm sure, so we'll call them Aunt D, Uncle B, C (my cousin), E (his wife), and CT (their son).

When: Saturday, December 11th - Thursday, December 16th! We normally do our holiday trip the week after Thanksgiving, but we postponed it this year so that we could meet up with the fam while they're down there.

D277C24D-D33B-4A1F-AE44-3091A8AA291C.jpeg

Where: Pop Century! Remember when I said that I didn't think Pop was worth the extra money over an All Star Resort?

We did enjoy the Skyliner for getting to/from HS and Epcot, although I don't know that it's really worth the price jump from the All Stars to Pop.

Yeah, I ate my words as soon as we started planning this trip. We want to be on the Skyliner route, since you can push a stroller right onto the Skyliner. I wouldn't be surprised if we drive to AK and MK to avoid lugging a stroller onto the bus! 😬

D3D6559B-F43A-4C05-AB2A-832B23ABCA05.jpeg

Why: A lot of people are probably questioning why anyone in their right minds would take a six-month-old to WDW. Well, first of all, I never said we were in our right minds. 😂 In all seriousness, this is something that we had discussed long before we even got pregnant. We've known for a while that our child would grow up going to WDW at least once a year (as long as we are able to financially make that happen 🙏), so we never saw the point in waiting until they were "old enough" to go on their first trip. We've always said that we wanted to wait until our first child was at least six months old before taking them for the first time, and Lincoln will be conveniently turning six months old on December 5th. Not to mention, he'll be essentially free! No, he won't remember this trip, but Jason and I will never forget it. Plus, that's what photos and videos are for!

We've set our expectations for this trip basically on the floor. If we get on one ride at each park, great. If we have to cancel our dining reservations and eat at the Pop food court every night, no biggie. We know we'll be spending less time in the parks than we have in the past, we're just excited to be going back! By the time we go back, it will have been a little over a year since we returned from our last trip. This is the longest we've gone between trips, so we are ready to be back in the Disney bubble!

Up next: Dining reservations and general plans

Last edited:

k8einwdw

Original Poster
Sounds like you have set realistic expectations for the trip, so I think you will get out of it exactly what you hope for: pictures and memories, which is really all that matters.

Can‘t wait to read all about it 😊
Yes, pictures and memories are definitely the main goals for this trip!
Excited to follow along.
We're going next week and will be meeting our 10 month old granddaughter there.
(Don't really care about her parents or my son)!!🤣
Hope you are having a blast!
I think so long as you have flexibility in your plans you’ll be good. Every time I think I can predict something about lil BES she changes. (Hence why I’m up at 3am today.) I’m sure around trip time the plan will be more clear based on his schedule then.

Excited to read about your trip. And because I’m sure you can’t hear it too much- what a cute baby!

Happy Surprise GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
Thank you! And you're right, every time you think you've got it down, they throw you for a loop. The four-month sleep regression has hit hard in our house! 😂 😴
Just from my own experience, I'd leave a bit early in any case, because everything always takes longer with a baby....you may have to stop somewhere along the way to feed him, or he might get an explosive diaper where it's not just a quick diaper change, or he may scream the whole time and you have to take breaks to calm him for a bit before continuing on. (We have had all three of these things happen while traveling when our kids were babies.) Traveling with babies or toddlers is so unpredictable....it would probably be good to have some extra time built in so you have time to get to your ADR no matter what happens. And if you are early getting there because you didn't need the extra time, is more time at Disney really a bad thing?
That's probably what we'll end up doing!
Lincoln is adorable and I'm so glad to read another one of your TR's! :)
Thank you! And thanks for following along!

k8einwdw

Original Poster
Day Two Plans - Sunday, December 12th

Our first park day! I'm sure most people would take their kid(s) to Magic Kingdom for their first ever time in a Disney park, but we will be going to Animal Kingdom first. We have found Animal Kingdom to be the least crowded on the weekends, so whenever we have a Saturday or Sunday park day, that's where we usually spend it. And we have park hopper tickets, so if we decide we want to hop over to Magic Kingdom after Lincoln's afternoon nap, we can do that!

We were hoping to score a lunch reservation at Tusker House for this day, but have not had any luck yet. I'm still holding out hope that we can get a character meal booked for Lincoln's first trip.

We will be utilizing Genie+ and using the Lighting Lanes. Do we love paying extra for it? No. But do we want to wait in a 45-minute line with a six-month-old? Also no. So time is money in this situation. 😂 Lincoln will be able to ride Kilimanjaro Safaris, Tricera-Top Spin, and Na'Vi River Journey. Jason and I plan to utilize the Lightning Lanes to do Flight of Passage and Expedition Everest, while the other parent strolls around with Lincoln. As always, we plan to spend plenty of time on the animal viewing trails! And we absolutely plan to sit near the crash landing zone to watch the beautiful disaster that is the new Kite Tails show!

Animal Kingdom is always a short(er) day for us, and I'm sure that will be the case even more so on this trip. If we don't feel up to hopping over to MK that night, we'll probably just eat dinner at Pop and hit the hay early, because Monday will be a big day!

And that's about it for our Animal Kingdom day!

Up next: Our Magic Kingdom Day

k8einwdw

Original Poster
Day Three Plans - Monday, December 13th

Magic Kingdom Day!!! This is the day we've dreamed about ever since we took our first trip to WDW together for our first wedding anniversary way back in 2014!

Babies!

BBBEC152-4C05-4C5A-BBF7-295A54EC8D96.jpeg

A typical day for J and K in i MK usually means rope dropping and heading straight to Frontierland to ride Big Thunder before moving on to Adventureland, and moving clockwise through the rest of the park. We've already decided that we're not going to stress about making it to rope drop on our park days, at least for Lincoln's first trip. And rather than heading for Frontierland first, we'll be making a beeline to Fantasyland along with all the rest of the parents of littles, so that Lincoln can ride some of the Fantasyland classics first. We're thinking either Dumbo or It's a Small World for his first ride. Dumbo is a classic, but It's a Small World is the theme of his nursery...

7FC21F05-DEBF-43C1-BE2C-4B16AD344399.jpeg

I have mixed feelings about taking him on Haunted Mansion and/or Pirates. Both are fine for babies by Disney's standards, but the stretching room may be a bit much for him, and I don't know about the drop in Pirates. As far as other baby-friendly rides, we're hoping to make it on Jungle Cruise and Peoplemover, but we'll see how the day goes. Mom and Dad are hoping to take turns hitting up some of our favorites using the Genie+ lightning lanes. As long as I can get on Big Thunder at least once, I'm a happy camper, and I know Jason feels the same way about Space Mountain.

As far as meals, we very rarely book dining reservations on our MK days, and this will be no exception. We'll probably grab lunch at Pecos Bill's or Cosmic Ray's, and dinner in the Pop Food Court, assuming we head back early. There are also quite a few 50th anniversary snacks we're hoping to get at MK, so we had better arrive hungry! 😂

Those are our very loose plans for Magic Kingdom! Since we have park hoppers, we may hit up MK another day on the trip, depending on how Lincoln does in the parks. We're just so excited for him to see everything for the first time, and get a million pictures of him in front of the castle!

Up next: The worst park for pregnant people is also the worst park for babies

LeighM

I think I just noticed that we're going to be there the same time! Did I know that and just forget? I'm there the 12th-15th. The 12th will be the MK After Hours, Monday is Epcot, Tuesday is HS, and Wednesday is leaving. It's our shortest trip ever lol.

LeighM

I think I just noticed that we're going to be there the same time! Did I know that and just forget? I'm there the 12th-15th. The 12th will be the MK After Hours, Monday is Epcot, Tuesday is HS, and Wednesday is leaving. It's our shortest trip ever!

k8einwdw

Original Poster
I think I just noticed that we're going to be there the same time! Did I know that and just forget? I'm there the 12th-15th. The 12th will be the MK After Hours, Monday is Epcot, Tuesday is HS, and Wednesday is leaving. It's our shortest trip ever!
Hey, three nights is better than zero nights! Sometimes you just need that Disney fix!

k8einwdw

Original Poster
Happy (belated) Halloween from Chef Lincoln!

D576A091-3DAF-4F6B-A91D-3E0CCC581620.jpeg

And Happy Eighth Anniversaryto me and Jason! Today also marks seven years since we checked in for our first Disney trip together!

61A480FE-63C3-400B-9019-EBD38E3064EC.jpeg

Enough dilly-dallying, let’s get back to the trip plans!

Day Four - Tuesday, December 14th

Hollywood Studios Day! I mentioned in my December 2020 trip report that HS is the worst park for pregnant people, and it's the worst for babies/toddlers too! The only attractions with no height limit are Runaway Railway and Toy Story Mania. We will for sure do Runaway Railway. Not sure about Midway Mania though, since one of us would have to hold him, so only one person could play. L is too young to enjoy the Disney Junior Dance Party, and he probably wouldn't sit through a stage show (although we may give it a try and try to sit at the end of an aisle so we can sneak out early if we need to).

So, our plans for Hollywood Studios revolve around Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, and taking Lincoln to meet Minnie Mouse. I will also be trying to get a boarding group for ROTR, since I still haven't gotten to experience it (this will be our third trip since it opened). Jason and I may also take turns riding other attractions while the other strolls around with Lincoln. Hollywood Studios has always been a short day for us, and I'm sure it'll be an even shorter day with a baby. We'll probably end up heading out around lunchtime/early afternoon, and going back to the resort to get some rest before our 5:00 dinner reservation at Homecomin'!

Up next: Epcot Day!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
No more Boarding Groups for RotR. You either wait standby or pay the Individual Lightning Lane fee of $15/person (price may fluctuate higher in December.)

The only current Boarding Groups are for Ratatouille. No standby option. If you don’t score a BG, you’ll need to pay the Individual Lightning Lane fee of $11/person (price may fluctuate higher in December) if you want to ride.

LeighM

Happy (belated) Halloween from Chef Lincoln!

View attachment 597255

And Happy Eighth Anniversaryto me and Jason! Today also marks seven years since we checked in for our first Disney trip together!

View attachment 597256

Enough dilly-dallying, let’s get back to the trip plans!

Day Four - Tuesday, December 14th

Hollywood Studios Day! I mentioned in my December 2020 trip report that HS is the worst park for pregnant people, and it's the worst for babies/toddlers too! The only attractions with no height limit are Runaway Railway and Toy Story Mania. We will for sure do Runaway Railway. Not sure about Midway Mania though, since one of us would have to hold him, so only one person could play. L is too young to enjoy the Disney Junior Dance Party, and he probably wouldn't sit through a stage show (although we may give it a try and try to sit at the end of an aisle so we can sneak out early if we need to).

So, our plans for Hollywood Studios revolve around Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, and taking Lincoln to meet Minnie Mouse. I will also be trying to get a boarding group for ROTR, since I still haven't gotten to experience it (this will be our third trip since it opened). Jason and I may also take turns riding other attractions while the other strolls around with Lincoln. Hollywood Studios has always been a short day for us, and I'm sure it'll be an even shorter day with a baby. We'll probably end up heading out around lunchtime/early afternoon, and going back to the resort to get some rest before our 5:00 dinner reservation at Homecomin'!

Up next: Epcot Day!
What a cute baby picture. Love it! And we'll be at HS the same day! I'll try to keep an eye out, although I'm horrible at recognizing people when I'm out in public.

k8einwdw

Original Poster
No more Boarding Groups for RotR. You either wait standby or pay the Individual Lightning Lane fee of $15/person (price may fluctuate higher in December.)

The only current Boarding Groups are for Ratatouille. No standby option. If you don’t score a BG, you’ll need to pay the Individual Lightning Lane fee of $11/person (price may fluctuate higher in December) if you want to ride

I knew that! 🤦‍♀️

k8einwdw

Original Poster
We leave for WDW four weeks from tomorrow! Woohoo! Work has been incredibly busy and frustrating lately (hence the lack of updates here 🙃), so I have absolutely been counting down the days until vacation. 18 work days, in case you're wondering.

Enough complaining, let's get back to the trip plans!

Day Five - Wednesday, December 15th

Epcot Day! Normally I would appreciate the later opening as a chance to sleep in, but that doesn't happen with a baby! 😂 This is the one day that we will probably make rope drop. Our priorities this day are the new Ratatouille ride and the Seas pavilion. We have asked Santa for annual passes to the Georgia Aquarium, because we think Lincoln would enjoy it. The Seas will give us a chance to test that theory.

We do not have any dining reservations for our Epcot day, since we plan to graze around the festival booths as much as we can. We are also hoping to catch some of the holiday storytellers, if they have them this year. We're also hoping to see the new nighttime lighting on Spaceship Earth, if the sun sets early enough.

And while we're at it...

Day Six - Thursday, December 16th

Check-Out Day 😭

We'll be continuing our tradition of having a table service breakfast on our check-out day. This time, it'll be at Boma! We haven't eaten there since October 2018, so we were so excited to see that it is back open in time for our trip! We're also excited to see the AKL Christmas tree again.

And that's all, folks! I hope to post one or two more updates between now and the trip. For now, I'm working on our packing list. I've worked off of the same packing list for the past few years, so it is an adjustment trying to figure out what all we need to bring with a six-month-old. Any suggestions are appreciated!

p.s......

Go Braves!

D3383899-CAE0-46A3-B195-F955A43264B5.jpeg

LeighM

I'm still undecided whether I want to cancel my dining package for Candlelight Processional. I have always wanted to experience it but, at the same time, I really don't want to lose park time seeing it. I have dinner reservations at Boma and it's too soon after the Biergarten lunch, plus the holiday kitchens, plus the cookie trail, and then to rush back to see the CP show. Boma dinner has always been on my bucket list so that's why I'm kinda leaning that direction. However, I think I'm also experiencing FOMO bc I've heard so much about the Processional 😂 I've only got 2 full days so I want to do as much as possible. So I've got a month left until our trip and I'm struggling with planning our days and with packing LOL. I've never been in December and bc it's such a short trip, we're flying without checked bags :oops: That terrifies me almost as much as flying!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I'm still undecided whether I want to cancel my dining package for Candlelight Processional. I have always wanted to experience it but, at the same time, I really don't want to lose park time seeing it. I have dinner reservations at Boma and it's too soon after the Biergarten lunch, plus the holiday kitchens, plus the cookie trail, and then to rush back to see the CP show. Boma dinner has always been on my bucket list so that's why I'm kinda leaning that direction. However, I think I'm also experiencing FOMO bc I've heard so much about the Processional 😂 I've only got 2 full days so I want to do as much as possible. So I've got a month left until our trip and I'm struggling with planning our days and with packing LOL. I've never been in December and bc it's such a short trip, we're flying without checked bags :oops: That terrifies me almost as much as flying!

Personally I think the Candlelight Processional is totally worth it and would plan my day around it. It is an amazing show. I love all things Christmas though and hearing the Christmas story in one of my favorite parks makes it worth any "lost" park time for me. Plus it is only shown at Christmastime and Boma can be done anytime.

LeighM

Personally I think the Candlelight Processional is totally worth it and would plan my day around it. It is an amazing show. I love all things Christmas though and hearing the Christmas story in one of my favorite parks makes it worth any "lost" park time for me. Plus it is only shown at Christmastime and Boma can be done anytime.
But would it still be as special if you aren't really religious? And, this will probably be our last Disney trip for a while and I would hate to miss out on Boma. Again lol. Next year, I'm hoping to do Universal Orlando. Plus, my husband wants to do a cruise. And we both want to go back to Charleston. And maybe Atlantis in the Bahamas. Honestly, Disney has made it easier for us to look at other vacations with all of the changes they're making. So I'm really down to: if I don't make it back to WDW in 5+ years, what will I be more upset about missing out on?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
But would it still be as special if you aren't really religious? And, this will probably be our last Disney trip for a while and I would hate to miss out on Boma. Again lol. Next year, I'm hoping to do Universal Orlando. Plus, my husband wants to do a cruise. And we both want to go back to Charleston. And maybe Atlantis in the Bahamas. Honestly, Disney has made it easier for us to look at other vacations with all of the changes they're making. So I'm really down to: if I don't make it back to WDW in 5+ years, what will I be more upset about missing out on?

If you aren’t religious then maybe it might not mean as much. Maybe Boma would be a better choice. Could you eat at Boma and then go to Epcot and just stand or sit in an area near the theater . You should be able to hear it going on if you are in the area, then you’d be able to do both.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom