Trip Report *Completed* Sleepless on the Savanna - Nov/Dec 2023

Hello Friends, and Happy Holidays!

As you already know if you caught my Pre-Trip Report, my husband J, our 2yo son L, and I got back from a WDW trip earlier this month. This was L's fourth trip, J's eighteenth, and my twentieth! Since I already did introductions in the PTR,, let's jump straight into the trip!

Sunday, November 26th - Travel Day

I set my alarm for 4:15 am - thankfully, there wasn't much to be done this morning, since my in-laws had kept L at their house for a few hours the day before, which gave J and I time to get everything packed and get the car loaded up, save for any last-minute items that we would need to use that morning. I barely slept the night before. I always get travel anxiety the night before a trip - what if I have the dates wrong, and we get down there and have nowhere to stay? What if I dreamed about making park reservations, but didn't actually make them? What if Disney's website cancels all of our dining reservations? It always makes for a restless nights' sleep. I tossed and turned most of the night, and finally accepted my fate at 4am, and rolled out of bed before my alarm went off.

I got myself ready, woke J up at 4:30, and once we were both ready, we loaded the go bag with last-minute items into the car. J thankfully remembered that he hadn't seen me pack L's stroller flag, which is a lifesaver when you're trying to find your stroller in a crowded stroller parking lot. I knew exactly where it was in L's closet, so I asked J to very quietly and very carefully get L out of bed and take him to the car, so that I could turn the lights on in L's room and grab the flag from the closet. As J was walking down the stairs carrying L, I heard L wake up and say "Dada? What are you doing? Dada, where are we going?" and when J didn't answer him and told him to go back to sleep, L said "Dada, where's Mama?" 😂 We were so hoping we'd be able to keep him asleep as we were putting him in his car seat, but it was not meant to be. We loaded L up, hopped in the car, and were pulling out of the driveway at 5:04 am.

IMG_7965.jpeg

Unfortunately, it took over an hour of driving before L finally fell back asleep. We love leaving early to beat the Atlanta traffic - we don't love how it messes with L's sleep. Two hours after we left the house, we made our first stop for breakfast and a bathroom break at Buc-ee's. I sat in the back with L once we got back to the car, to help him with his breakfast and try to avoid a huge mess in my backseat.

IMG_7966.jpeg

IMG_7967.jpeg

As we were leaving Buc-ee's, I checked our ETA on the GPS, and it said we'd arrive around 12:30. If only that had been the case. We stopped again just past the GA-FL border for gas and another bathroom break, and everything went downhill from there. Around the time we were driving through Lake City (where I-10 and I-75 meet), traffic starting to build up. The GPS on my phone showed nothing but red for miles and miles. I'm not sure what the issue was - it was raining, so that may have caused some problems - but traffic was backed up all the way to the Florida turnpike, and the drive that should have taken us 7.5 hours took us over 9 hours. 🙃 Finally, at 2:06 pm, we were pulling through the gates.

IMG_7969.jpeg

Our room was not ready yet, so we decided to stop in at Jambo House for lunch at The Mara. Of course, I got the room ready text right as we were getting out of the car. 😂🤷‍♀️

IMG_7970.jpeg

We headed into Jambo House anyway, grabbed some pictures of the Christmas tree, and mobile-ordered lunch. I clicked "I'm Here" as soon as we got in the elevator to head down to The Mara. It took about twenty minutes for our food to be ready - I always forget that the resort QS tends to take longer than the QS in the parks - I guess because they have fewer staff. For lunch, I got the vegetarian falafel platter, J got the chicken strips, and L got the kids' hamburger meal with fries and grapes.

IMG_7971.jpeg

IMG_7972.jpeg

I was underwhelmed by my meal - it was unfortunately pretty bland, which was surprising for falafel. After we finished lunch, we headed over to the Flamingo Crossings Target to pick up a Drive-Up order I had placed for things like milk, bottled water, snacks for the room, etc. We probably should have dropped our stuff off at Kidani Village first before heading to Target, because we ended up having to put everything in my lap/at my feet, which made for a fun time trying to get out of the car at Kidani. When we got to Kidani, Bell Services unloaded the car, including our groceries, and we parked in the garage and headed up to the room. Of course, we made a beeline for the balcony to check out the view - not too shabby!

IMG_7973.jpeg

IMG_7974.jpeg

Once we had gotten in to the room, I tried to call Bell Services to bring up our luggage. I sat on hold for over ten minutes before the call dropped. I tried again - same thing. I ended up just sending J down to go get our luggage himself - he said when he got down there, the two CMs working the Bell Services area didn't appear to be busy, so I'm not sure what the deal was - maybe an issue with their phone lines. Regardless, J brought our luggage up to the room, and I set about getting everything unpacked and organizing the room. J and I set up L's sleeping arrangements - an inflatable toddler bed inside of a blackout tent - and finally, we were done and headed out of the room shortly before 6pm.

Up next: A Damp Dinner at Disney Springs

k8einwdw

Original Poster
Monday, November 27th - Animal Kingdom Day

I was awakened around 4am by a certain toddler who was not fond of the blackout tent. I should have known that would be an issue, since he sleeps with a night light at home. I unzipped the tent, laid down in the floor beside him, and stayed there until he dozed back off. Then, in my sleepy stupor, I made the mistake of zipping the tent back up, Of course, the noise from the zipper woke L right back up. He decided that he no longer wanted to lay in the tent, so I put him in our bed, which he thought was super fun. He wanted to talk and play, and every time I would finally get him to doze off, he'd be right back up a few minutes later. I finally rolled out of bed around 6:20, because L had somehow managed to wriggle himself off the foot of the bed, and was standing on my side of the bed.

At some point while I was up with Lincoln, I had purchased Genie+ for the day - $16/person for Animal Kingdom

IMG_7979.png

At 7:00, I made our first LL selection - Kilimanjaro Safaris for 9:10-10:10 am.

IMG_7980.png

I was really tempted to try to rest for longer and head to the park later, but I knew I'd have to be awake with L anyway, so I might as well be awake in a theme park. Shortly after 7:00, I woke J up, and the three of us got ready to go. We left the room around 7:50, drove to AK, parked, went through bag check, and we were entering the park around 8:25 for 8:30 Early Entry.

IMG_8069.jpeg

We rope-dropped Na'Vi River Journey, which was a walk-on. L was really interested in this ride this trip, and was singing his version of the Shaman song for quite some time after we got off.

IMG_7983.jpeg

J and I had decided to skip out on Flight of Passage for this trip, so after Na'Vi River Journey, we took some pics in Pandora before heading out to hit the rest of the park.

IMG_7984.jpeg

IMG_7986.jpeg

At one point while I had been laying in bed wishing I was asleep, I realized that J and I forgot to pack protein shakes from home for us to have for breakfasts on the trip.

Idiot Facepalm GIF

So, once the park had officially opened, we went in search of some breakfast. We ended up at Isle of Java, where I got a Tiger Tail Chocolate Twist, and J got a Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Biscuit. We have had some pretty terrible coffee from Isle of Java in the past, so we decided to take our breakfast over to Asia and grab some coffee from Joffrey's.

IMG_7987.jpeg

We both got a seasonal latte - one was peppermint and one was white chocolate gingerbread, but I don't remember who got which. Since J and I were going to be eating, I wanted to get L something (he had eaten breakfast in the room). I decided to let him try his very first Joffrey's giant donut, and boy, was it a hit.

IMG_7991.jpeg

IMG_7993.jpeg

While we were eating our breakfast, some of the birds that always seem to be around when you're eating outside at Disney were watching us nearby, waiting for us to drop some food. L shouted at them "No donuts for you, ducks!" 😂 We explained to him that those weren't ducks, but that became the running joke throughout the trip.

Up next: Safari Time

Minnie1986

Monday, November 27th - Animal Kingdom Day

I was awakened around 4am by a certain toddler who was not fond of the blackout tent. I should have known that would be an issue, since he sleeps with a night light at home. I unzipped the tent, laid down in the floor beside him, and stayed there until he dozed back off. Then, in my sleepy stupor, I made the mistake of zipping the tent back up, Of course, the noise from the zipper woke L right back up. He decided that he no longer wanted to lay in the tent, so I put him in our bed, which he thought was super fun. He wanted to talk and play, and every time I would finally get him to doze off, he'd be right back up a few minutes later. I finally rolled out of bed around 6:20, because L had somehow managed to wriggle himself off the foot of the bed, and was standing on my side of the bed.

At some point while I was up with Lincoln, I had purchased Genie+ for the day - $16/person for Animal Kingdom

View attachment 760566

At 7:00, I made our first LL selection - Kilimanjaro Safaris for 9:10-10:10 am.

View attachment 760567

I was really tempted to try to rest for longer and head to the park later, but I knew I'd have to be awake with L anyway, so I might as well be awake in a theme park. Shortly after 7:00, I woke J up, and the three of us got ready to go. We left the room around 7:50, drove to AK, parked, went through bag check, and we were entering the park around 8:25 for 8:30 Early Entry.

View attachment 760568

We rope-dropped Na'Vi River Journey, which was a walk-on. L was really interested in this ride this trip, and was singing his version of the Shaman song for quite some time after we got off.

View attachment 760569

J and I had decided to skip out on Flight of Passage for this trip, so after Na'Vi River Journey, we took some pics in Pandora before heading out to hit the rest of the park.

View attachment 760570
View attachment 760571

At one point while I had been laying in bed wishing I was asleep, I realized that J and I forgot to pack protein shakes from home for us to have for breakfasts on the trip.

Idiot Facepalm GIF

So, once the park had officially opened, we went in search of some breakfast. We ended up at Isle of Java, where I got a Tiger Tail Chocolate Twist, and J got a Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Biscuit. We have had some pretty terrible coffee from Isle of Java in the past, so we decided to take our breakfast over to Asia and grab some coffee from Joffrey's.

View attachment 760572

We both got a seasonal latte - one was peppermint and one was white chocolate gingerbread, but I don't remember who got which. Since J and I were going to be eating, I wanted to get L something (he had eaten breakfast in the room). I decided to let him try his very first Joffrey's giant donut, and boy, was it a hit.

View attachment 760573
View attachment 760574

While we were eating our breakfast, some of the birds that always seem to be around when you're eating outside at Disney were watching us nearby, waiting for us to drop some food. L shouted at them "No donuts for you, ducks!" 😂 We explained to him that those weren't ducks, but that became the running joke throughout the trip.

Up next: Safari Time
L looks slightly tipsy or donut drunk if you will 😂

k8einwdw

Original Poster
Monday, November 27th - Animal Kingdom Day - Continued

After our breakfast, we made our way back to Africa for our Kilimanjaro Safaris LL. After we scanned in, I started looking for our next LL, and decided on the 10:30-10:50 LL for the 11:00 Festival of the Lion King show.

IMG_7994.png

Some pics from our safari - we saw some Okapi...

IMG_7997.jpeg

Rhinos...

IMG_7998.jpeg

Hippos...

IMG_7999.jpeg

Lots of Zebras...

IMG_8001.jpeg

Giraffes - my favorite land animal

IMG_8002.jpeg

IMG_8004.jpeg

These guys were having a disagreement...

IMG_8003.jpeg

And it's not a good safari if you don't spot some lounging lions...

IMG_8005.jpeg

Up next - Some Things Never Change

k8einwdw

Original Poster

After disembarking from our safari, we walked back into Africa to find the Burudika band playing, so we stopped to watch and listen for a while. L was starting to look sleepy, so we reclined him in his stroller and walked around for a bit to try to get him to nap.

IMG_5545.jpeg

IMG_8007.jpeg

IMG_8008.jpeg

We decided to change our FotLK LL for something else, since L desperately needed a nap, so we got a LL to meet Mickey and Minnie for 11:40-12:40. It took forever for L to finally doze off - we walked through Asia, Dinoland, Discovery Island, and back into Asia by the time he finally fell asleep.

IMG_8009.jpeg

Once L had finally dozed off in the stroller, J and I decided to take turns riding Expedition Everest via the Single Rider line.

IMG_8014.jpeg

IMG_8016.jpeg

After Everest, L was still snoozing, so we walked through the shops in Discovery Island.

IMG_8012.jpeg

Once it had been 2 hours since I had made our last LL, I grabbed another LL for FotLK for the 2:00 pm show. L was still asleep, so we decided to have a little photoshoot, and recreate one of our favorite pictures from L's first trip to WDW.

IMG_8021.jpeg

IMG_8022.jpeg

D1E3034E-FD73-486C-AF46-B0312B68CF90.jpeg

I guess Animal Kingdom just takes it out of him. 😂

Up next: Lincoln forgets how to meet characters

LeighM

I've been really looking forward to your trip report to see what I had missed that week LOL. My dog took a turn for the worst that week but he somehow made another recovery. So I had to reschedule the rescheduled January trip since he was doing really good when I had reached that due by date. I think we're now into May so we'll see. I'll keep living vicariously through everyone else's trip reports :)

I've only ever been able to find an inside table at Chicken Guy once and I was in shock. But I recently saw that they recently cut the number of sauces available and some of my favorite ones were some that were cut. So now I have no interest in going back - turns out, it was all about the sauce, for me 😁

Have you ever heard...

First is the worst, second is the best.......? My kids sang it all the time when they were young. Not that I believed them but just saying right now mayyybeee it do.

I grew up saying that until I heard "the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese" and I've been using that ever since :)

lindawdw

Excited Jersey Shore GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation
I was so happy to see your TR listed when I logged in today! It sounds like a rough start between the traffic through Florida and then the explosion that you had to deal with later on. My kids never slept well being away from home either. Glad you got on the single rider line for EE while L slept!

k8einwdw

Original Poster
I've been really looking forward to your trip report to see what I had missed that week LOL. My dog took a turn for the worst that week but he somehow made another recovery. So I had to reschedule the rescheduled January trip since he was doing really good when I had reached that due by date. I think we're now into May so we'll see. I'll keep living vicariously through everyone else's trip reports :)
It was a great week, weather and crowd-wise! I'm glad your dog is still doing well!
I've only ever been able to find an inside table at Chicken Guy once and I was in shock. But I recently saw that they recently cut the number of sauces available and some of my favorite ones were some that were cut. So now I have no interest in going back - turns out, it was all about the sauce, for me 😁
Believe it or not, J and I were always able to find an inside table prior to the expansion! Thankfully, my favorite sauce made the cut (Nashville Hot Honey), but I hate that they got rid of over half of the sauces!
Finally here! Excited for this TR. I immediately knew where the title came from. This past month lil
BES has been getting up a lot overnight. 😵‍💫
L sleeps through the night 95% of the time at home, so we don't know what was going on with him on the trip. Is there a 2.5-year sleep regression?
I was so happy to see your TR listed when I logged in today! It sounds like a rough start between the traffic through Florida and then the explosion that you had to deal with later on. My kids never slept well being away from home either. Glad you got on the single rider line for EE while L slept!
It was a rough start, but overall a great trip!

k8einwdw

Original Poster

Once L finally woke up from his (hour and 40 minute) nap, we headed to meet Mickey and Minnie right at the tail end of our LL return time. We still had to wait about 20-25 minutes, which was tough for Lincoln, but thankfully there was a family with a little girl in front of us in line that helped distract Lincoln from the wait. Once it was finally our turn to meet Mickey and Minnie, Lincoln...laid in the floor?

IMG_8024.jpeg

IMG_8025.jpeg

IMG_8026.jpeg

It seemed like L had forgotten how to met characters. Thankfully, after a little coaching from J and I, he gave Mickey and Minnie hugs,

IMG_8032.jpeg

IMG_8034.jpeg

IMG_8035.jpeg

We were even able to get some family pictures. Shoutout to the character attendant that took a million pictures on my phone of the meet and greet. This location has the PhotoPass box, which just doesn't capture the moment quite as well as a person can.

IMG_8046.jpeg

IMG_8053.jpeg

By the time we got out, it was around 1:15, and we were all starving, so we decided to mobile order some lunch. Since we were in the area, we decided on an old favorite, Flame Tree BBQ. I was so happy to see my beloved BBQ Pulled Pork Cheese Fries back on the menu! These had disappeared during COVID times, and just made it back onto the menu earlier this year. J got the Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese, and we got L the Uncrustables kids meal. L ended up eating quite a bit of J's mac and cheese - I'm surprised that they don't have mac and cheese as a kids' meal option at Flame Tree, since they make it for the adult meal, and all kids love mac and cheese.

IMG_8055.jpeg

We knew that there was no way we were going to make our 1:30-1:50 LL for the 2:00 FotLK show, so we bumped it back again to 2:30-2:50 for the 3:00 show.

IMG_8056.png

Up next: Dinosaurs and Lions, Oh My

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Premium Member
L sleeps through the night 95% of the time at home, so we don't know what was going on with him on the trip. Is there a 2.5-year sleep regression?

We’re right at 2.5 years now and oh man. It sure feels like a sleep regression. Her imagination has kicked into high gear so she often just wakes up to tell us random stuff.

I guess we are lucky they are both overall good sleepers but I think that makes the regressions harder to deal with.

k8einwdw

Original Poster

After our lunch, we had some time to kill before we needed to be back in Africa for FotLK, so we decided to pop into Dino Land, since we know it will be closing eventually, and we knew it could be our last time experiencing that section of the park. Side note: I'll be interested to see what they put in its place. I know there have been "Blue Sky" discussions of adding in Central/South America, which I think would be fun, but I know that means there's a chance they'll replace Dinosaur with Indiana Jones. While I love Indy in Disneyland, I just don't see how it fits in AK. I don't love the new trend of adding IP-based attractions simply for the sake of having more IP in the parks.

Anywho, as we were on our way into Dino Land, we saw a friend along the way - Kevin stopped to pose for some photos, and Lincoln tried to feed her some cheerios from his snack cup. 😂

IMG_5550.jpeg

Once we made it in to Dino Land, we headed for Triceratop Spin, which none of us had ridden before. And we got this cute family photo, which is now hanging in my office.

IMG_8057.jpeg

IMG_5570.jpeg

After the ride, L kept saying he wanted to play the water game. We couldn't figure out what he was talking about, until we spotted the carnival games. He wanted to play the game where you shoot the water gun at a target, and whoever moves the little thingy up to the top the fastest wins. We knew that we would need to buy extra tickets in order to play the games, which we weren't thrilled about, but we figured it may be L's only chance to do this, so we went for it. I think we paid somewhere between $12 and $15 for two tickets, so J and L could both play the game. Thankfully, they were the only two playing, and the CM that was working the game gave L a little extra help, so he could beat his DaDa. L chose a little stuffed triceratops as his prize, and named it Baby Jackson.

IMG_8066.jpeg

After the game, we loaded L up in the stroller and power-walked back to Africa, so that we could make it in time for our FotLK LL. L requested to bring Baby Jackson in to see the show with him.

IMG_8058.jpeg

This was our first time seeing FotLK since 2019, and L's first time ever. He seemed to enjoy the show, although he had a hard time sitting still, and swapped back and forth between my lap and J's lap a few times. The fire dancer was his favorite part of the show.

IMG_8061.jpeg

IMG_8063.jpeg

IMG_8064.jpeg

IMG_8065.jpeg

It was great to see the show again, and I'm glad we waited until the full version of the show was back. The flying birds during "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" are my favorite part of the show, and make me tear up every time I see it. FotLK was the first show J and I watched together in WDW way back in 2014, so it was special that it was L's first WDW show as well.

After the show, we headed out of the park, stopping in Zuri's Sweet Shop on the way out to get treats to enjoy in the room later. J got a Mickey gingerbread cookie, L picked out a cupcake, and I got my favorite Minnie Rice Krispie treat. We headed out of the park around 4:00 pm - we had been there since 8:30, so it had been a fairly long AK day for us. The weather was absolutely gorgeous this day, which was a nice change from the usual HOT day at Animal Kingdom. Once we got back to the room, we enjoyed our treats on the balcony and facetimed with the grandparents for a bit.

IMG_8070.jpeg

Up next: Bread Service 🤩

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom