Trip Report Completed - Relaxation, Stress, and everything in between - an August 2014 trip report

FlaggNL

Glad you're enjoying it. Being back at work is tough. Been crazy busy. Will post some more on the weekend.

Yeah I can imagine after a trip to the world.... being back at work.. is really tough! But being at work and counting down to our own trip is also tough :) Only 40 days of work left.... :)

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 6 – Changing plans & some "real world" stress

So here we are on the back-end of our vacation. We’ve been having a great time so far. This morning the plan was Typhoon Lagoon as we figured we’d give it one more shot (the original plan was mini golf today, but we figured the heat was just too much to make it enjoyable). The alarm on the phone went off at 7:30 and I got up, made coffee, got ready…..and waited…..and waited….Why is no one else getting up????....Waiting…..Waiting…Around 8:00 I figured we weren’t going to TL today. Everyone was just exhausted and tired, so a little bit of rest it was. Everyone got up shortly after 8 and started getting ready. The plan changed from TL to going to the pool instead. We went down to the pool around 9:00 and the place was pretty empty. I walked around the beach area and took some pictures (I didn’t feel like swimming).
IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1380.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1399.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

Around 10:30 we headed back to the room. It turns out I was exhausted too (I figured it out when I lay on the bed for a few minutes and actually fell asleep for about an hour). While I was sleeping the kids went back down to community hall again to play foosball, etc.

I woke up around 11:15 and we headed down to the lobby to pick the kids up and head to DTD. We got to DTD before noon and decided that lunch would be in order. Earl of Sandwich was the destination today. Liam got the buffalo chicken wrap,
IMG_1404.JPG

Tammy got the avocado BLT (or something like that),
IMG_1406.JPG

Steph got the mac and cheese,
IMG_1407.JPG

and I got the buffalo chicken sandwich.
IMG_1405.JPG

All were great and relatively cheap (and at Earl you can use the DVC card for a discount too). We did see some interesting things while there. The place is always packed and table space is at a premium. While I was in line Tammy and the kids went to find seats. There was a young family at a table who saw Tammy looking around and called her over to say they were leaving in a minute so she could have their table. A few minutes later they started to get up so Tammy headed back over. As she was about to sit an older man came up…”I had the table first, but I’ll give it to you”. Huh?????? We’re practically sitting and this was somehow your table? We’re very non-confrontational, but things like that bother me. Anyways a few minutes later another family close by got up to leave so the older man took their table, only to have another family come over and basically do the same thing to him (“we were waiting for that table”). Oh karma….

To be continued

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 6 continued

After lunch we decided to wander the shops. We stopped by the Marketplace Co-Op. The place looks really nice.

IMG_1416.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

Next up was Once Upon a Toy. Steph found a Jabba the Hut doll that she liked and was thinking of getting (she has a thing for weird/ugly stuffed animals) but she decided to wait until we had gone through more of the stores.
IMG_1408.JPG

Next stop was Basin which is a bathroom store (bath salts, scrubs, soap, etc).
IMG_1421.JPG

This store is so cool. Liam is a big fan of taking baths so he was very interested in getting some bathroom stuff. He ended up making his own tube of bath salts and bath marbles (like small bath bombs).
IMG_1429.JPG

IMG_1432.JPG

Tammy and I also bought some soap for our house (holiday soap).
IMG_1435.JPG

After Basin it was World of Disney where Steph bought a Timone and Pumba.
IMG_1436.JPG

We didn’t feel like carrying them around so we had them sent back to the hotel.

And, of course, the obligatory shot with the skeleton pirate
IMG_1438.JPG

To be continued

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 6 continued

With our shopping done we decided we wanted to head back to HS. Rather than going back to BLT we just crossed the new bridge from DTD to Saratoga Springs (which is our home resort) and grabbed a bus from there.
IMG_1457.JPG

We got to HS around 3 and went to American Idol (we figured we had to do it at least once since it will be gone the next time we come back).
IMG_1459.JPG

It was OK, and the theatre was surprisingly packed. After AI we headed over to the Streets of America to grab passes for the Frozen Sing Along again. We got tickets for the 5:00 showing.
IMG_1468.JPG

Up next was our FP for TSM which was a lot of fun again.
IMG_1472.JPG

On the way out the kids got a picture with one of the green army men
IMG_1474.JPG

After TSM we headed back towards Streets of America for the Frozen Show. On the way over we noticed a toddler off on his own crying. A few people were around him pretty quickly. It turns out his Mom was in line at the Coke kiosk and didn’t notice he had wandered away. She seemed a bit annoyed that everyone was making a big deal about him, but I’m thinking that a toddler that has wandered away from his Mom (and I’m not talking a few feet away. He was quite a bit away)is a pretty good reason to be making a big deal. She didn’t even leave the line to come get him. She just kind of waved over like “yeah, he’s mine”. Very odd. Tammy would have been freaking out if it had been one of our kids who had wandered away.

Anywhooo….We got to the Frozen show and had an absolutely great time. We had better seats this time.
IMG_1476.JPG

IMG_1499.JPG

IMG_1487.JPG

IMG_1500.JPG

IMG_1498.JPG

One kind of annoying thing was that there was a family sitting behind us who decided the “no flash photography” rule didn’t apply to them. The show starts and its “flash”…”flash”…”flash”… I turn around to look at her and get a “flash” right in the eyes. Fortunately a CM was paying attention and came over and asked her to put the camera away (you are allowed to take pictures of videos during the show, just no flashes). The show is still really good.

So the show gets out, and we start heading towards Star Tours. We are just past the theatre when I notice I’m by myself. I turn around and Tammy and the kids are staring at a small boy sitting on the ground by a garbage can. I put it together pretty quick that this is another lost kid. I walk over and do a quick double check with the family sitting near him that he’s not with them (in case it was just a kid having a tantrum). The head shake “no” from the Dad confirms that this kid is lost. I crouch down next to him and say “Hey buddy, you OK?” Well that starts the tears flowing. “I lost my Mom and Dad”. I tell the kid to take my hand and we walk over to two nearby CMs. I think at first the CMs though it was something small (I think they though he was mine at first). “He’s not mine. He’s lost”(I normally wouldn’t use the word lost, but he had already said it). The one CM looked at the other and said “we have a code 7”. The kid kept saying he has his brother’s phone number but he doesn’t have cell coverage. About a minute later a supervisor took over. She thanked us and we left, but just felt a bit unsettled.

To be continued

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 6 continued

We did Star Tours which was fun, and the headed over to our ADR at Sci-Fi.
IMG_1504.JPG

IMG_1505.JPG

We hadn’t been here since our very first trip, mainly because we didn’t really enjoy it, but Liam wanted to go back so we did. We were seated fairly quickly in one of the “normal” cars.
IMG_1510.JPG

We decided we’d do the sharing some starters thing again. Liam and Steph both got vanilla milkshakes, and for dinner we split the buffalo chicken bites, wings, the artichoke dip and the onion rings.
IMG_1517.JPG

We really enjoyed it and wouldn’t mind coming back in the future. We decided to skip dessert as we were planning on going back to DTD and wanted to get something there.
IMG_1540.JPG

After Sci-Fi we headed over to ToT for our FPs (again, without Tammy). The three of us rode, and the Steph went back on using Tammy’s FP while Liam and I went back to the single rider line at RnR. However, before we got into the building Liam’s stomach started feeling a bit off, so he decided he didn’t want to ride this time so we bailed.

Steph met back up with us and we headed out. However, before we left we went to the Frozen dance party.
IMG_1542.JPG

Liam must have been feeling better, and was in one of his hyper moods, because he started dancing like a maniac.

Everyone around was killing themselves laughing at him.

to be continued

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 6 continued

We headed out after that and went back to Saratoga and walked back to DTD.
IMG_1550.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

We ended up back at Basin where Steph and Liam both got some bath bombs and salts.
IMG_1559.JPG

We stopped at Ghiradelli where I got the Chocolate and Caramel Sundae, and Tammy bought a container of chocolate buttons.
IMG_1565.JPG

IMG_1572.JPG

IMG_1583.JPG

Liam got a churro from one of the kiosks, and Steph got a gingerbread man covered in crushed Butterfinger from Goofy’s Candy Company.
IMG_1580.JPG
IMG_1582.JPG

After that we headed back to BLT. This is where the stress started. Before turning in for the night I hopped on the internet to check the news websites I normally check (CNN, and a few Canadian websites (the Toronto Star and the Hamilton Spectator)). All the websites were running the same story…if you go back to the first full day I mentioned that we brought our own coffee since I work at Tim Hortons. The story on all the news sites was that some information was leaked out that Burger King was in talks to merge with Tim Hortons. I know that it’s only rumors and there isn’t anything I can do about it, but I was a bit shocked.

I then decided to check my work email to see if there was anything there. Sure enough, our CEO had sent out a memo to the company confirming that discussions were being had with BK and that there would be a conference call the next day to update everyone as to what was going on.

Oh well. I’m tired and going to bed. Day 7 tomorrow.

mrdrift

Just caught up with the report, what beautiful family pictures and magical moments that you have shared with us, I would just like to say thanks. Everyone in my family is having a wonderful time reading your adventures. All the food pictures is making me real hungry at this moment. Following along.

gwhb75

Original Poster
Just caught up with the report, what beautiful family pictures and magical moments that you have shared with us, I would just like to say thanks. Everyone in my family is having a wonderful time reading your adventures. All the food pictures is making me real hungry at this moment. Following along.

Thanks. Glad you are enjoying it.

AliceJaina

I've been following and having fun reading. That video of your son is just awesome! Best thing I've seen all day. Love that he busted out the sprinkler move.

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 7 – Back to the AK, and a bit more stress

So here we are at the start of a new week. Hard to believe that at this time last week we were so excited about the upcoming trip, and now we’re closer to the end than to the beginning. But ya know what… We still have 3 full days left and we’re not going to waste it thinking about leaving already, so let’s get this day started.

This morning everyone had to get up early since we had breakfast reservations at Trail’s End. We were all up and out the door around 8ish. We walked over to the marina off of the Contemporary and grabbed a boat over to Fort Wilderness.
IMG_1588.JPG

IMG_1591.JPG

Hey... a bunny
IMG_1592.JPG

IMG_1597.JPG

On the way we passed by Discovery Island and the outer edge of River Country. Steph and I came up with an idea…Disney should offer a tour called “Forbidden Disney” where they take you to places that are now closed/normally off limits to anyone. I’d go on it (and it would reduce the number of people who sneak in and the post it on You Tube).

Is this the old dock for what used to be discovery island?
IMG_1617.JPG

So we got to Fort Wilderness and headed over to Trail’s End.
IMG_1622.JPG

IMG_1628.JPG

The place was empty and we were almost seated right away. The kids played horseshoes while we waited to be seated.
IMG_1635.JPG

When I say the place was empty, I mean completely empty. We were the only people in there. A few minutes later another family came in and were seated right behind us. We all laughed when I said that I should ask the CM to move us since the other family is bothering us (they weren’t, but we thought it would be funny since the place was so empty). Breakfast here was fantastic, and I fully recommend it. They start with “moonshine”, which is pretty much identical to the juice they serve you at every other breakfast place. The buffet itself is great. There are eggs benedict, biscuits and gravy, waffles, baked goods, scrambled eggs, etc.). We really enjoyed it here.
IMG_1642.JPG

to be continued...

gwhb75

Original Poster
day 7 continued

After breakfast was done we headed back on the boat to BLT, and hopped on a bus to AK.

River Country
IMG_1652.JPG

and our hotel from the boat
IMG_1657.JPG

We got to AK and headed in. It was around 10:45 now, and I decided I should try dialing in to the conference call that our CEO was having to discuss the whole Burger King thing. Tammy wandered through the stores, while the kids went off to Asia to ride Everest and Dinosaur.
PhotoPass_Visiting_Animal_Kingdom_7039496703 (1).jpg

It felt weird standing in AK on a payphone listening to a conference call from work (basically we were told yes we are in discussions with BK, we aren’t happy that it got leaked since we didn’t want our employees to find out that way, no guarantee a deal will be reached, business as usual). It was a quick call (about 10 minutes), and that was it. I met up with Tammy who had wandered back to the front of the park and was talking to a CM who had just got back from Aulani.

Tammy and I started to walk over to Chester and Hester’s as we had FPs for Primeval Whirl and had told the kids to meet us there. On the way we passed the new macaw show and caught the end of it (I may have macaw filled nightmares for years to come…).

We had a few minutes before our FP, so we walked the trail in Asia where the Tigers are (or, in this case, where they should have been since there were none to be seen).
IMG_1665.JPG

We did see a few other interesting animals though.
IMG_1669.JPG

This bat was crazy. It hung upside down, went to the bathroom while hanging upside down, and then drank it. so gross. I'd probably be angry after that too
IMG_1678.JPG

After the trail we met up with the kids and rode PW together. Good times.
IMG_1700.JPG

After PW we went to Dinosaur (which was a walk-on even without a FP), and Liam bought a stuffed dinosaur on the way out. After Dinosaur we did Everest (with a FP). Fun again. Some cold beverages were in order as we were kind of hot, hungry, but didn’t feel like eating. Liam and Steph got floats from the food truck by Everest,
IMG_1712.JPG

IMG_1718.JPG

and Tammy and I got frozen chai lattes from the Royal Amandapour Tea Company. All were good.
IMG_1723.JPG

to be continued

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom