Trip Report Completed - Relaxation, Stress, and everything in between - an August 2014 trip report

gwhb75

Original Poster
Intro
Hi everyone, and welcome to the 2014 addition of the Burnett family Disney trip report. First the intros:
There is my DW Tammy,
IMG_0955.JPG

My newly-minted teenager Stephanie (13)
IMG_0666.JPG

My Blue belt son Liam (11)
IMG_0412.JPG

And myself (Graham)
8556_GrahanB_376.jpg

We were down at the World from August 19th to the 27th, staying in a lake view studio at Bay Lake Tower.
IMG_0898.JPG

Well… let’s begin – Super fun powers activate (anyone get the wonder twin powers reference?):
PhotoPass_Visiting_Magic_Kingdom_7041109150.jpg

Last edited:

gwhb75

Original Poster
Some pre-trip stuff
We were all really busy leading up to the trip, so a lot of the packing didn’t happen until the weekend before. Two newer things this year that we brought along:
1) Disney Gift Cards – we bought $1,650 in Disney Gift Cards from Target/Sam’s Club over the course of about 8 months. The discounts mean we paid about $1,570 – it really helps spread the costs out instead of getting a huge bill when you get back and saved us almost $100.
IMG_0796.JPG

2) Technology – with the My Disney Experience App almost being a must-have now, and with everyone in the family having some form of technology, we made sure that we had enough chargers so we would never run out of battery power. We also download an App called Viber that allow you to text and call over Wi-Fi (a must if you don’t have a US talk and text plan). We had four different chargers as well as a waterproof bag for my phone
IMG_0792.JPG

Of course, we had all our bags tagged and ready to go
IMG_0800.JPG

Last edited:

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 1 - The start of something great

This trip started pretty much the same as every other trip, with a quick drive across the border to Buffalo (from Hamilton, ON) the night before the trip. This year we did the Park and Fly thing at the Best Western by the Buffalo airport. It was a good hotel, and we could park the car on site which was great.
We actually had connecting flights this year, flying from Buffalo to Baltimore, and then Baltimore to Orlando (due to the fact that I forgot to check when the Southwest and JetBlue flights were available for our dates meaning we missed the direct flights which filled up fast).

Airport Selfie
20140819_091236.jpg

I think she wants me to put the phone down...
IMG_0814.JPG

The first flight was at 11:00, and was pretty uneventful. We arrived in Baltimore around 12:30, and then had to wait about 2 hours for our connecting flight.

20140819_143643.jpg

The flight from Baltimore to Orlando was also pretty uneventful, and we arrived close to 5:00.
20140819_143959.jpg

A quick dash to the ME desk, and we were on a bus to BLT in no time.

20140819_172432.jpg

Magical Express Selfie
20140819_172642.jpg

Almost there
20140819_175647.jpg

Pulling up to BLT
IMG_0825 - Copy.JPG

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 1 continued
For BLT, we had to check in at the Contemporary. The CM checking in was Katie, from Windsor, Ontario.
IMG_0828.JPG

She seemed really excited that someone from Ontario was checking in (apparently the other CMs at the desk were giving her a hard time about her “accent”. I told her the only accents I hear were from the other CM’s). She was really nice. Since we’re from Canada we can’t get our Magicbands mailed to our home, but they were waiting for us. I was actually pretty excited about getting these, and couldn’t wait to see how things go with them.

IMG_0826.JPG

We were in room 7308 at BLT. We are DVC members, and had done the “upgrade” to a lake view room (the three levels at BLT are Standard View, Lake View and Theme Park View). We were actually very happy with our room. We were on the outside of the building and could actually see the MK as well as the lake from our room (which was on the 3rd floor).
A few room shots:
20140819_184903.jpg

IMG_0834.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG

IMG_0837 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0841.JPG

IMG_0847.JPG

and a shot from our balcony (with the top of Space Mountain peeking over the trees)
IMG_0830.JPG

We were all pumped about being at Disney and couldn’t wait to leave the room and get to the park. Only thing left to do was throw our valuables into the safe…typed in a code…”ERROR”….tried again….”ERROR”….. I wasn’t comfortable leaving the room without the safe being locked since we had all our cards in there (they don’t let you “prepay” on your room account, so you have to wait until you actually spend money to use the cards to pay for things). I called down to the front desk, and was told the manager would be right up. He was up very quickly, and re-programmed the safe. I typed in the code…”ERROR”….”ERROR”….the manager said the door of the safe would need to be replaced and asked us to wait in the room so he could send someone up to do that. I asked how long that would take and he said 30 minutes to an hour. I said we weren’t willing to wait that long (everyone was starving, and I don’t think waiting for a safe to be fixed is really a “magical” way to start the trip). He told us to call when we were back in the room and he’d send someone up to fix it. No problem. With that out of the way, we headed out to the MK.

To be continued

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 1 continued

The one great thing about BLT is how close it is to the MK. We did the quick 5 minute walk from BLT to the gates at the MK, scanned our Magic Bands (which worked great), and were finally there. The first thing we wanted to do was get our pictures taken. We had purchased the Memory Maker+, so you better believe we were getting our pictures taken A LOT (which became a common complaint from the kids).
wd002wdw2014232111021792.jpeg

wd008wdw2014232111035038.jpeg

As I mentioned, everyone was starving, so dinner was the next order of business. We didn’t have any ADRs tonight, so we had to decide where to eat. Columbia Harbour House won out. We got 2 fish and chips, 1 shrimp and chips, and one seafood mac and Cheese.
20140819_195846.jpg

20140819_195851.jpg

20140819_195841.jpg

All were really good (given how hungry we all were, I think anything would have tasted awesome).

With stomachs full, it was time to “get our ride on” (I’m quoting Stacy from the resort TV…I don’t actually talk that way). We had FPs for BTMR, but missed them due to the late arrival and the hold up in the room. However, we were just outside HM, so that was our first ride this year.
20140819_201935.jpg

Classic ride. Love it. Next up was Space (which we had a FP for),
20140819_204742.jpg

yaaaa, it worked
20140819_204810.jpg

followed by 7DMT (also fast pass – good thing too, since the standby line was at 85 minutes).
20140819_211136.jpg

Once we were off 7DMT we headed over to the FP kiosk to see how they work. We decided to pick POTC. Interestingly enough, when I scanned my magicband, the kiosk decided my preferred language was Spanish, which made the first time use a bit of a challenge. We headed over to POTC and used our FP (the standby was only 10 minutes).
PhotoPass_Visiting_Magic_Kingdom_7037900501.jpg

After POTC the day of travel kind of caught up to us, so we decided to head back to our rooms and called it a night. We made a quick stop at the Contempo Café and picked up 3 refillable mugs, then headed up to our room. When we got back I called down to the front desk, and they sent a tech up to fix the safe. It turns out that the batteries just needed to be replaced. Tomorrow the plan is AK.

Day 2 to come soon

Last edited:

gwhb75

Original Poster
Great start!

Is it bad that my first thought was "wait, they have Target in Canada?"

Yes we do have Target in Canada (just recently actually), but we don't shop there. We live about 45 minutes from Buffalo so we cross the border usually once or twice month to shop (way better prices and choices in the US compared to Target in Canada)

BTW - the pictures get better. I only brought my phone with me to the park on the first night

mrdrift

Great start to your trip report. You have a very lovely family and I hope the rest of your trip turns out better then the start (darn safes). The picture comments from the kids is a standard response from all kids when it comes time for pictures. Following along.

gwhb75

Original Poster
Great start to your trip report. You have a very lovely family and I hope the rest of your trip turns out better then the start (darn safes). The picture comments from the kids is a standard response from all kids when it comes time for pictures. Following along.

Thanks. I'm working on posting days with pictures while writing up the trip report based on my notes (I'm on Day 7 in writing, but the posting with the pictures takes time). Hope to have another day posted by the end of the day today.

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 2 – Animal Kingdom – round 1
So the first full day was upon us. The excitement of the previous day kind of exhausted everyone, so we all “slept in” until around 8. I got up and made coffee (we bring our own since I work at a kinda well know coffee and baked goods company).

IMG_0853.JPG

We got out of our rooms and onto a bus around 9:30, and got to the park around 10. We ran into a small issue at the gate when my finger scan didn’t work. I think I figured it out though. I had changed the wrist my band was on (from left to right), and think I scanned a different finger the day before. Regardless, it was worked out pretty quickly, and we were in at around 10:10. We had to go pretty fast as we had a FP for the Safari that expired at 10:15. We got to the FP gate at around 10:18, but the FP still worked (does anyone know the +/- minutes on the FP window? We noticed we could use the FPs both before and after our window, I’m just not sure what the over/under is).
IMG_0865.JPG

SANY0032.JPG

Everest was after Safari (also with a FP – standby was 30 minutes - I'm holding a camera recording the ride for a friend).
PhotoPass_Visiting_Animal_Kingdom_7036206975.jpg

We love this ride (well 3 of us do…Tammy will tolerate it but doesn’t love it as you can tell from her facial expression).

Dinosaur FP after Everest (also with a 30 minute standby).
PhotoPass_Visiting_Animal_Kingdom_7036223674.jpg

Lots of fun there too.

It was now around noon, and everyone was starting to get hungry. We decided Restaurantasorous would be a good place to go. We got the normal things (Nuggets, and we got a kids meal (corn dog nuggets)), since Steph only wanted grapes.
IMG_0879.JPG

IMG_0881.JPG

It was good, and you can use you TiW card here. Lunch hit the spot.

After lunch the kids wanted to go back to Everest. One of the great things about having older kids is that it opens up the single rider line as an option. The 3 of us (guess which one didn’t ride….) rode single rider lines twice (with about a 5 minute wait each time as opposed to the 30 minute standby).
PhotoPass_Visiting_Animal_Kingdom_7036268257.jpg

This one is funny. The guy next to Liam was terrified the whole ride, so his friends were laughing at the fact he looked so scared while Liam looked like this:
PhotoPass_Visiting_Animal_Kingdom_7036266498.jpg

and Steph rode too
PhotoPass_Visiting_Animal_Kingdom_7036267362.jpg

Great Time

to be continued

Last edited:

TheMouseFan

Loving your report! Supposedly, you can use your FP+ 5 minutes early and 15 minutes late. I haven't personally tried it, but that is what is being reported! Can't wait to read more!

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 2 continued

After Everest we were feeling HOT…..I’ve never felt it so hot (it was around 96, but with the humidex was around 110). We decided to head back to BLT and try out the pool area, but not before a few pictures.
We'd like to think we always look like this while in the parks:
PhotoPass_Visiting_Animal_Kingdom_7036394856.jpg

But I get the sneaking suspicion that we come across more like:
PhotoPass_Visiting_Animal_Kingdom_7036541989.jpg

One more "normal" picture
PhotoPass_Visiting_Animal_Kingdom_7036292158.jpg

We got back around 1:30, changed into our bathing suits, and headed down to the pool.
IMG_0885.JPG

Ready to go down the slide
IMG_0922.JPG

Steph going down the slide
IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0902.JPG

The view from my chair
20140820_153625.jpg

We really liked the pool area, and spent quite a bit of time there during this trip.

We spent a few hours there, and then decided we wanted to go back to our room and rest (at least Tammy and I wanted to). The kids decided to go to Community Hall instead (I love having kids who are old enough to do some things on their own if they want). They went there and made T-Shirts. Tammy and I went back to the room and finished unpacking and then rested for a few minutes.

To be continued

Last edited:

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 2 continued

Around 7:00 we went and got the kids (they were at Community Hall for about an hour and a bit) and headed over to our first ADR…’Ohana. A quick monorail trip over and we were there. I will say that I would not be thrilled if I was staying at the Poly right now. Lots of construction going on, and walls up everywhere. Anyways…we checked in at ‘Ohana a bit early and sat in the lounge and waited. Before long our buzzer went off and we were seated (interestingly enough, we were seated at the exact same table we were at the year before).
Start with the bread
IMG_0960.JPG

Then the lettuce wraps came
IMG_0961.JPG

Then all the other delicious sides came
IMG_0963.JPG

IMG_0965.JPG

and the meats
IMG_0967.JPG

IMG_0968.JPG

Dinner was excellent as usual (we really liked the new lettuce wraps in place of the salad). Bread Pudding was awesome as ususal.
IMG_0972.JPG

After we finished eating we decided to head back to our room (Steph wasn’t feeling great. She had been fighting a chest infection after she got back from camp about a week before our trip and it stayed with her the whole trip)). The kids stopped by Community Hall and picked up a movie to watch back in the room (the Pacifier).

We got back to our room around 9:30. At 10:30 Wishes started. We were curious how much of it we’d be able to see from our room. Turns out we could see it perfectly (it’s interesting to see where they actually set the fireworks off from (well behind Space Mountain)).
IMG_1019.JPG

IMG_0999.JPG

When Wishes ended we decided to call it a night. One complaint I have is that we called down to the front desk when we got back to the room and asked for some additional pillows and blankets. I stayed up until around 11:30, and they never came. I gave up and fell asleep. The plan is Blizzard Beach tomorrow.

Last edited:

gwhb75

Original Poster
Loving your report! Supposedly, you can use your FP+ 5 minutes early and 15 minutes late. I haven't personally tried it, but that is what is being reported! Can't wait to read more!
Thanks. Interesting on the FP+. I think the 5 minutes early may be a bit higher than that (we were around 10 minutes early on one of ours and it worked). Not willing to test it out though.

ratherbeinwdw

When we were there in May, we had to wait until one minute before to get in. It's odd that everyone has such a different experience. We had heard five minutes so we tried it at Test Track, Pooh and Toy Story with no luck.

gwhb75

Original Poster
When we were there in May, we had to wait until one minute before to get in. It's odd that everyone has such a different experience. We had heard five minutes so we tried it at Test Track, Pooh and Toy Story with no luck.

Yeah that is weird. Maybe they adjusted it due to complaints? I'm guessing there are still modifications being made to the whole system.

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 3 – Blizzard Beach and EPCOT (kind of)
Our first waterpark day. We all love Blizzard Beach (not really big fans of Typhoon Lagoon), so that was our destination today.
PhotoPass_Visiting_Blizzard_Beach_7036848422.jpg

Everyone was up at 7:15 to make sure we got to the waterpark for it opening (I’m glad I checked the times, because we’ve always come in September in the past, and the waterparks don’t open until 10, but in the summer they open at 9). Of course, we started with coffee before we left the room.

We got down to the bus stop and almost right after we sat down the bus arrived. The bus went to the Poly after BLT (BLT shares busses with the Poly and, depending on the time of year, the GF also). We got to BB around 9:45. We rented a small locker and some towels (for some reason we weren’t charged for the towels – do DVC members get free towels at the waterparks? I confirmed they had charged us for everything they were supposed to and they said yes, so not much else I could do).
We got to the inside entrance to the park at about 9:55, watched the opening ceremony (where someone goes down Summit Plummet), and then headed in to the beach to pick our spot.
20140821_085429.jpg

We got four chairs right at the edge of the wave pool, so we were happy.
SANY0065.JPG

With our seats claimed, the kids and I jumped on the ski lift and headed up Mount Gushmore
20140821_090335.jpg

First up was Summit Plummet for 3 of us (not Tammy). There was maybe a 5 minute wait for it. It was fun, but I think I’m getting too old for it. For those of you who have never ridden before, I put the waterproof phone bag to good use and put a short video together of what the ride is like (please excuse the thumb that shows up in certain parts of the video...it's hard to remember where to put your fingers when your life is flashing before your eyes):

After Summit we got Tammy and went back up and rode Teamboat Springs (with another short video):

and then did the Downhill Double Dipper, and one of the tube slides. Lazy river was up next.
SANY0039.JPG

I love the lazy river at BB, other than the Cold Water parts.
SANY0051.JPG

Now this is my kind of traffic jam
SANY0046.JPG

Lunch was after the lazy river – just picked up a few munchies – nothing too big.

After lunch Tammy and I went back in the Lazy River, while the kids went off to do some more slides (they wanted to ride Teamboat Springs as a group of 2 because they wanted to meet new people (they only let you ride Teamboat with 4 or more, so if you are 3 or less they put you in with other people)). Apparently they rode with a family from South Korea and a family from England. They were quite happy with themselves. They also got some Photpass pictures taken (I noticed a lot of photographers around the waterparks now. I’m thinking this is because of Memory Maker + (there were photographers in the wave pool, the lazy river, at the end of most slides, etc). It's also funny how much the kids complain about getting pictures done when they are with us but will find every photographer they can when they are by themselves????
PhotoPass_Visiting_Blizzard_Beach_7041718987.jpg

PhotoPass_Visiting_Blizzard_Beach_7041719016.jpg

Tammy and I also shared an “adult” beverage (we never, I mean never, drink, but we thought some of the tropical type drinks looked good so we tried the Blue Blizzard) and walked through the stores.
SANY0064.JPG

We met up with the kids around 2 and decided to head back to BLT. We got to the front of the park and saw the Contemporary Bus pulling out (BLT shares the Contemporary bus). I just pointed at the bus to show the kids it was leaving, but the driver saw me and actually pulled over and let us on (we were very thankful).
To be continued

Last edited:

gwhb75

Original Poster
Day 3 continued

We got back to the room, showered, and then headed out to EPCOT. We took the monorail over (I love being able to do something other than the bus to get places). The whole way over Liam was saying he wasn’t feeling well (we’re thinking a combination of heat, dehydration and exhaustion). We found a water fountain in EPCOT and made Liam drink lots. He started feeling a bit better. We then went to Club Cool, where Liam sat on the stairs and we brought him little drink cups of pop (soda).
IMG_1027.JPG

After all that he was feeling much better. We headed to World Showcase as we had to get to Beach Club for our ADR tonight (Cape May Café).
IMG_1034.JPG

We took the boat across the lagoon, and then walked from Morocco to Beach Club. Cape May was Steph’s choice and, to be honest, I was pleasantly surprised by this place.
The kids waiting for the buzzer to go off
IMG_1036.JPG

I’m not a huge seafood fan, and always think seafood at a buffet is a bit “sketchy”, but this was really good. We had a lot of crab legs and mussels,
IMG_1044.JPG

and the desserts were just amazing.
IMG_1037.JPG

We were all very happy with this place and would come back.

After dinner we walked back through World Showcase (and got pictures taken in France).
PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_7042745568.jpg

To be continued

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom