Trip Report **COMPLETED** It's My Mom's Birthday (and it's still a hot one)!

Hey guys, since I essentially failed at making a live TR I will be doing a real one :joyfull::joyfull: I give all you live trip reporters credit! I kept forgetting!! To be fair, though, I have my hands tied most of the time taking videos for my YouTube channel :)

Who?
I'm sure you know but it was my Mom (Mary) and I (Megan)!
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_403548362371.JPG

When?
August 8 - 13, 2017

Where?
The Contemporary!

Why?
Today is my Mom's actual Birthday but she can't get off easily on Monday's since its her long day so we went earlier to celebrate her Birthday - ish :)

Day 1 - August 8, 2017
My Mom had to work a half day so I impatiently waited to leave for Disney :rolleyes:. When she got home we checked our luggage, went for a walk and relaxed before my Dad got home to drive us to the airport.
The Gang was ready to go..:joyfull: We are weird I know!
DSC_5160.jpg

DSC_5162.jpg

DSC_5163.jpg

We left for the Airport around 3:30, got there around 3:45, and we had our bags checked and went through security by 3:50 :p I love the Buffalo airport!
We were starving since neither of us ate anything but breakfast so we headed to the Anchor Bar (birthplace of chicken wings). (PS For anyone not from Buffalo who wants to visit and try chicken wings let me know...I can name at least 10 spots better than the Anchor Bar :p)
DSC_5166.jpg

DSC_5167.jpg

We split the appetizer sampler like we always do :) Boneless wings, chicken wings and mozzarella sticks. So healthy! ;)
DSC_5172.jpg

After dinner we headed to our gate to wait for our flight. In the morning of this day there was a fatal hit and run right outside the airport which was sad enough but while we were waiting I found out it was one of my friend/co-worker's uncles. So sad :(. They still haven't found the guy driving the car either :(:(
We were watching the news while we waited to see if they had any leads and soon enough it was time to board the plane.
DSC_5173.jpg

DSC_5175.jpg

DSC_5174.jpg

Next up: Getting to Florida!

Last edited:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I'm late to the party,too, but am enjoying following very much. I will have to hint to my daughter about you taking your mother to WDW for her birthday!LOL! Staying at the Contemporary in a MK view is on my bucket list too. The fireworks look awesome. Thanks for the great report and pictures!

Thank you so much! Definitely drop some hints for her :joyfull:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Sorry guys for the slight delay! Had a busy weekend!
Day 3 continued
IMG_4548.JPG

For some reason both my Mom and I thought that the hill seemed bigger this time :joyfull:
PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_8081913789.jpeg

After our ride we tried to find some shade because it was brutally hot (for us anyway haha) so we stopped and watched the monkeys
DSC_5448.jpg

Random flower...thought the color was so pretty!
DSC_5450.jpg

Random bench picture
DSC_5452.jpg

Next up was the safari!
We were squished on with other people (which is especially unpleasant when its hot) so I will spare you my dreadful pictures except for these two :)
DSC_5460.jpg

DSC_5465.jpg

There was a super grumpy man behind us who kept asking why Lions had to be on the lookout if they were "at the top of the food chain." I'm like, hello, haven't you ever seen the Lion King? :joyfull:
We were hungry after our Sarfari and considered a few places but we happened to be right by Pizzafari and we never ate there so we figured why not? The line was crazy in there so we found a table, I did mobile ordering and picked up our food in like 5 minutes (easily would have been double that in the line). I really liked mobile ordering but it did not occur to me until later you can't get the AP discount with it yet. We both got kids meals so it wasn't like we were breaking the bank anyway. We also both got Mac and cheese instead of pizza :joyfull:
DSC_5472.jpg

For some reason I just love Disney's Mac and cheese...so yummy!
We both got the grapes and cookies as a side. The grapes were good but the cookie was so-so. I think I still ate most of it though :joyfull:
DSC_5473.jpg

After lunch we headed over to Pandora!
DSC_5476.jpg

Next up: More Pandora

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 3 continued
I love how nicely the photo pass pictures turn out in Pandora :)
PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_404098787360.JPG

Our last FP for the day was for Flight of Passage
Some que pictures
DSC_5491.jpg

DSC_5492.jpg

DSC_5493.jpg

We got slightly delayed in the second pre-show because one of the ride vehicles broke so we volunteered to wait. It was no big deal and gave us a chance to chat with the CM :) We loved the ride just as much as the first time! The only thing I noticed this time was that the glasses you wear were so big they kept falling off my head :confused:
We headed out to the bus after our ride and back to the hotel. My Mom got a cupcake treat :)
IMG_4553.JPG

I was on the hunt for a creamsicle but couldn't find one and I ate that whole cookie at lunch anyway so I didn't get a treat :)
Down to the pool we went for a much needed break! But as soon as we walked out it started lightening and pouring so we headed back in :joyfull: We waited it out with some TV time and spent way more time than we should have deciding what to eat for dinner :) My Mom had us both make lists of places we wanted to eat *that had reservations available* and we couldn't find a match :joyfull::joyfull:. Eventually we decided on Beaches and Cream so I booked it.
The rain stopped fairly quickly so we headed back down to the pool.
The pool was still closed for a minute when we got down there
DSCF2386.JPG

DSCF2389.JPG

DSCF2390.JPG

The rain made the pool a little chilly so we went in the hot tub. Seems weird since it was so hot now that I think about it :rolleyes:
DSCF2394.JPG

DSCF2395.JPG

Next up: more randomness

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 3 continued
We couldn't stop laughing at this babydoll on the chair next to us because it looked like an abandoned baby :joyfull:
DSCF2397.JPG

After our break we got ready and headed to Epcot!
It was ridiculously hot during our transfer to the Epcot monorail etc that we really needed a break from the heat and headed on Spaceship Earth as soon as we got there :)
DSC_5506.jpg

Well, I underestimated two things a. the heat and b. how long it would take us to ride Spaceship Earth. We knew there was absolutely no way we would make it to Beaches and Cream without getting a heat stroke so we looked on the app and found a dinner time for San Angel Inn. Only, I couldn't book it because of Beaches and Cream and I couldn't cancel Beaches and Cream because it was less than 24 hours. I wish they would let you cancel at less than 24 hours; even if they still charged me I would be OK with it. Anyway, I thought maybe I would try to book Mexico on my Mom's MDE (which we almost never use :joyfull:) and it worked. I felt pretty bad about wasting Beaches and Cream for someone else but it never occurred to me to call and cancel :p
Anyway, we headed over to Mexico and had just enough time for a spin on Gran Fiesta Tour (well actually apparently we also went on the Seas but I have no pictures to prove it, just notes :))
DSC_5513.jpg

DSC_5517.jpg

DSC_5520.jpg

DSC_5524.jpg

After our ride we checked in for dinner
DSC_5526.jpg

We had a very short wait before we were seated. We had a nice CM offer to take our picture :) She insisted on no flash so we got a semi-blurrly and very dark picture as a result :) :rolleyes:
DSC_5530.jpg

Nachos to start :)
DSC_5532.jpg

We were trying to decide what to order (since they took our go to of Pollo a las Rajas off the menu :eek:) and somehow came to to the conclusion that we should share. Woohoo we finally remembered to share and not waste food :)
I was starving though (my Mom wasn't as hungry) so I ordered an appetizer. I had been dying to try Sopa Azteca anyway so it was the perfect time to do it!
DSC_5533.jpg

Picture makes it look disgusting but it was SO good! I'm so happy I tried it :)

Next up: more dinner :)

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 3 continued
I thought my Mom was going to kill me because halfway through my soup I said something about being super full :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:
Something about the heat makes it that much harder to eat :)
Anyway for our entree we ordered the Mole Poblano.
DSC_5534.jpg

This was super yummy!!! The chicken was very tender and there was a nice amount of spice to the dish :) We were very happy with our choice, and also very happy we split since we couldn't even finish it :)
My Mom got a Birthday treat of caramel ice cream :) She was kind enough to share it with me and it was yummy!
DSC_5536.jpg

DSC_5535.jpg

After dinner we headed out of the park. We could have waited for Illuminations since it was around 8:30 but neither of us are super big fans of it so we figured we would skip it this time.
DSC_5539.jpg

DSC_5541.jpg

We stopped for a PP picture. They used a weird lens and it looks awful :joyfull:
PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_404111356305.JPG

Back in our room we got turn down service at a reasonable time :)
DSC_5542.jpg

We are always looking for different things to do on our trip and it was early so we decided to go for a nighttime swim which we never really did before :)
Waterproof camera is especially bad at night :p:p
DSCF2400.JPG

fullsizeoutput_773.jpeg

Anyway, it was off to bed after this :)

Next up: Holyyyyyyywood !

Songbird76

Sorry guys for the slight delay! Had a busy weekend!
Day 3 continued
View attachment 224095

For some reason both my Mom and I thought that the hill seemed bigger this time :joyfull:
View attachment 224096
After our ride we tried to find some shade because it was brutally hot (for us anyway haha) so we stopped and watched the monkeys
View attachment 224097
Random flower...thought the color was so pretty!
View attachment 224098
Random bench picture
View attachment 224099
Next up was the safari!
We were squished on with other people (which is especially unpleasant when its hot) so I will spare you my dreadful pictures except for these two :)
View attachment 224100
View attachment 224102
There was a super grumpy man behind us who kept asking why Lions had to be on the lookout if they were "at the top of the food chain." I'm like, hello, haven't you ever seen the Lion King? :joyfull:
We were hungry after our Sarfari and considered a few places but we happened to be right by Pizzafari and we never ate there so we figured why not? The line was crazy in there so we found a table, I did mobile ordering and picked up our food in like 5 minutes (easily would have been double that in the line). I really liked mobile ordering but it did not occur to me until later you can't get the AP discount with it yet. We both got kids meals so it wasn't like we were breaking the bank anyway. We also both got Mac and cheese instead of pizza :joyfull:
View attachment 224105
For some reason I just love Disney's Mac and cheese...so yummy!
We both got the grapes and cookies as a side. The grapes were good but the cookie was so-so. I think I still ate most of it though :joyfull:
View attachment 224106
After lunch we headed over to Pandora!
View attachment 224107

Next up: More Pandora
How does grumpy man think lions find their prey? Does he think it the prey just walks up to the lion's den and volunteers as tribute to be its next meal??

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 4 - August 11, 2017
This morning I woke up to an Amber Alert at 7:30 am. I hope they found the little girl :( My Mom thought I was already up, though, and she was already almost ready to go :rolleyes:
It was super foggy outside - you could barely see the MK!
DSC_5544.jpg

We headed down to Contempo Cafe and got some croissants :)
Regular for me
DSC_5546.jpg

Chocolate for my Mom
DSC_5547.jpg

After breakfast we headed to the bus stop. We waited about 20 minutes for a bus to HS amongst a very chaotic bus stop. We (semi) inadvertently cut some of the line to get on the bus that eventually arrived. I felt bad for a second but everyone got on the bus and got seats anyway :joyfull: Not as many people were going to HS as we thought!
Anyway we made it to HS well before opening so we did some shopping then joined rope drop
DSC_5551.jpg

Hello Gertie
DSC_5553.jpg

DSC_5554.jpg

We had big plans to rope drop the Great Movie Ride ... along with a lot of other people :joyfull: There were tons of people in line taking pictures of everything. The group in front of us was actually a bunch of CMs :)
Had to get this light fixture picture
DSC_5558.jpg

DSC_5562.jpg

Prepare yourself for a bunch of Great Movie Ride photos...
DSC_5566.jpg

DSC_5567.jpg

Next up: more GMR

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 4 continued
DSC_5598.jpg

DSC_5600.jpg

DSC_5602.jpg

DSC_5604.jpg

DSC_5605.jpg

I feel like I have made it pretty clear that the Great Movie Ride was one of my least favorite rides in all of Disney so I was surprised that I was so emotional riding it for the last time. My Mom was too. Theres always some sadness when a piece of Disney history goes away I think....I am very glad we got to say goodbye to it one last time.
DSC_5608.jpg

DSC_5609.jpg

DSC_5612.jpg

DSC_5615.jpg

DSC_5616.jpg

Next up: more HS

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom