Trip Report COMPLETED: BEST (DISNEY) MONTH EVER !! - Dec 2016 - 2 Continents, 2 Resorts, 6 Parks !!

Hello to all the Disney Fans

As the title stipulates the month of December was a great Disney month for me and my family

Quick introduction - I am Max and I have been going to Disney since 1979. This trip report will detail trips 24 and 25 for me. (edit 1/17)
IMG_3968.JPG

What: The first leg is a solo trip to Tokyo Disneyland and the second is a family trip to Walt Disney World.
Who: My DW (T) and 2 DD ( S 21 and C 19) and me (Max)
(I am using initials to type less and protect the innocent.
The star over my head in the shot below is awesome!!!
STUDIO_SUNSET3_20161226_7904309987.jpeg

When: Dec 10 and 11 at TDR and Dec 23-30 at WDW
Why: Business trip from Dec 2-16 in Japan & family vacation in Florida.

This is my first full length trip report that I have attempted. In the past I have asked a few questions on the boards, and then posted a few details but never really went all in. The family has agreed to this one so here goes. I will try to use Doc Disney, Nicole and Longers amazing reports as motivation.

Just a few disclaimers (and I understand if I might lose most of my viewers but I have to be up front and honest)

#1 - I am Canadian (hence the honest and upfront approach - lol). So my viewpoints and opinions come from a different perspective at times. I will try to avoid political comments but sometimes the jokes are hard to pass on. (And I know the hat gives it away - I support the Blue Jays and that is the hat the team wears on Canada Day - Our birthday - 150 Years old in 2017!!)

#2 - I do not take a lot of food pictures - I am on a seefood diet - I see food and I eat it. I do not take the time to take a picture of it - I will have a few though.(The sound you hear is of all the "foodies" running for the exit)

#3 I do not own or use an expensive camera - all pictures will be either photo pass or iPhone. (the sound you now hear is of all the photographers leaving the building)

#4 Having been to TDR before (and being on a solo trip) and having been to WDW a few times I did not take a ton of pictures. Hopefully enough to tell the story. And my night time shots are limited (see point 3)

#5 I did not take a great notes (I know - Rookie mistake) but I will rely on my family to fill in the blanks for me.

Next Up : Background on the two trips and how them came to be

Last edited:

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
I used to always get upset when other parks would get attractions that Disney World doesn't have. But, now I am just tempted to go! Mermaid Lagoon looks amazing! The food is so well detailed I could cry! I couldn't eat anything, it's too pretty! :)

I am always a tad jealous of Tokyo's monorail. I want a Mickey window! It makes it seem much happier.. Anything Mickey shaped is better to me!
The peace sign trend is a win from me! :) :)

Thanks for following along
I only take food pictures when the presentation impresses me - that clam shell bun was cool so hence the pic

I have one more pic of the monorail that you will enjoy but it is near the end of the Japan stay so you will have to stay tuned.....

Thanks
Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
It's a literal goal of mine to make it to all of the parks (so far I only can check off the 4 Orlando resorts), and I'm so happy I get to live vicariously through your Tokyo pictures.
Everyone needs goals
I strongly suggest a trip to Cali to see Walt's park as the first step.

Nothing hits home more than seeing the firehouse and looking up at his apartment that he lived in at times.
Especially at night...... because they leave the light on for him.......

Thanks
Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Part 1 Day 11 - Heading over to the American Waterfront
So after a really good lunch I headed over toward Tower to use my fastpass
It is an impressive sight from every angle.
The train tracks take you from the American Waterfront to Port Discovery

IMG_4251.JPG

IMG_4252.JPG

First up was Chistopher Columbus and then a little Chrismas spirit in Disney sea.
I picked up a set of Christmas ornaments that look like these two
IMG_4255.JPG

c
IMG_4254.JPG

The next pic is an inside joke for me (Mechanical Engineer) and for C (studying to be a biomedical engineer)

IMG_4257.JPG

A few more exterior shots of Tower
IMG_4259.JPG
IMG_4260.JPG

Inside and the picture of Hightower
IMG_4261.JPG
IMG_4262.JPG

Old School Fast pass (reminder I picked this one up at 8:20am)
IMG_4265.JPG

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Tower cont'd
IMG_4267.JPG

This is the first room you walk in and gather for the pre show.
So the story is that the owner of the hotel (Hightower) mysteriously disappeared in 1899.
We are now in 1912 , the hotel has been restored and you are on a public tour.
In this room you learn about Hightower's expeditions, discoveries and artifacts.
The story centers around the idol of Shiriki Utundu.
It is thought that taking this idol cursed Hightower and the hotel.
The lights dim and the idol appears laughs and disappears.
You then proceed to the boarding area of the elevators
IMG_4268.JPG
IMG_4269.JPG

As per the chart below this elevator has one more seat (group 4 ) than WDW and DLR.

IMG_4270.JPG

Below is the ride photo
Both of my daughters said it was a good attempt but ultimately an epic fail at trying to look cute.

IMG_4272.JPG
IMG_4275.JPG
IMG_4276.JPG

I did not buy this little guy (and I should have)

Check out the wait time !!
IMG_4280.JPG

IMG_4281.JPG

Overall this ride was very tame. It felt more like a bumpy old elevator ride than terrifying. I have been told (second hand info alert) that the Japanese public in general does not go for fear factor type rides. Based on the screams the locals think this is a terror. Me, not so much.

Next Up: Walk about Waterfront and Port Discovery

Last edited:

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Part 1 Day 11 - Walk about
After the not soscary tower ride I found this restroom theme like a public water works and then walked into the courtyard of the Midway Mania ride.
The front of the ride is a little overkill for me.
New ride - hence extremely popular
IMG_4282.JPG
IMG_4283.JPG
IMG_4284.JPG

I found the Christmas tree in the Waterfront area.
Note the 15th Anniversary Emblem on the second pic
IMG_4285.JPG
IMG_4287.JPG

This is a restaurant themed to the port and more pics of the tower
(I think I have a tower obsession ...)
IMG_4288.JPG
IMG_4289.JPG

IMG_4295.JPG

The boat is the a table service restaurant and a lounge.
IMG_4303.JPG
IMG_4302.JPG

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
This little tree was in front of the Sailor Mickey statue

IMG_4305.JPG

It is on the way to Port Discovery
I will use some pics from 2006 (since I forgot to take some this time)
The first is Aquatopia
These trackless vehicles move around the very shallow water (spinning, forward, backwards, barely coming in contact with water).
I watched only on both trips - I was told it was fun at night but alas I was not going to witness it for myself.

The second pick is a Throwback Thursday (from the 5th anniversary)
For those who have visited DCA in Anaheim this park was great right out of the gate - it did not need a billion dollar makeover.

IMG_1529.JPG
IMG_1530.JPG

The main attraction in this area used to be Stormrider - a simulator ride that dealt with the weather of the world.
Unfortunately it was closed as it is being changed to Nemo and Friends Searider.
(yes, even the great Disney Sea is going IP happy - the rides added since the 5th? - Turtle Talk, Midway Mania, Jasmine's Carpet and next up is Nemo)

More views of the Mediterian Harbour
IMG_4294.JPG
IMG_4306.JPG
IMG_4307.JPG
IMG_4308.JPG
IMG_1538.JPG
IMG_4310.JPG

IMG_4311.JPG

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Part 1 Day 11 - Soaking it all in
Walked around the fortress and on the ship

IMG_4314.JPG

The Leonardo challenge sounded like fun - following clues on the map to compete your mission.
I did not do it because the map was Japanese only.
IMG_4315.JPG

It seemed weird that the sign was in English though. I probably should have asked - my bad.
Meet some new friends dressed up as Duffy
Duffy the Bear is big in Japan, big in Japan (you knew I was going do that at least once in this report)
I was surprised that Frozen was not overly emphasized in either park.
IMG_4317.JPG

Another gondala shot (Venice in Japan)
IMG_4319.JPG

Prometheus
IMG_4343.JPG

Started to do some shopping - even the shops are well themed
IMG_4345.JPG
IMG_4346.JPG
IMG_4347.JPG

IMG_4348.JPG
IMG_4349.JPG

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Part 1 Day 11 - No Ring (for me that is)
This one is for Nicole (@pfctlyximprct)

So as the title of this post suggestions I did not get a ring on this trip but someone else did .....!!!!......
IMG_4358.JPG
IMG_4359.JPG

So for all you recently engaged girls out there in the WDWMagic world...

I give you yet another option !!!

Last edited:

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
It was probably around 2:30 when I walked back out through the tunnel under the Mira Costa hotel.
If I get to go back to TDR I will try to spend some time in the hotels

So below are the pictures I should have taken on the way in - but in my defense I was rushing in with everyone else .
IMG_4361.JPG
IMG_4363.JPG

A lady was coming in with her two sons.
I offered to take their picture together and then asked if I could have one with her sons
IMG_4365.JPG

The Globe is one of the icons for the park. The ship has been added for the 15th
IMG_4373.JPG
IMG_4372.JPG

I saw Minnie on the way out
IMG_4375.JPG

IMG_4376.JPG

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
I walked to the monorail station and rode it to the shopping district (Ikspiari)
One last shot of the tower from the monorail station
IMG_4378.JPG

As promised earlier...

The monorail windows are Mickeys AND the handles are Mickeys AND they have Santa hats on them!!!

IMG_4381.JPG

I walked around the shopping district for a bit but to be honest I was all shopped out.

Here are a few pics of some souvenir I picked up (took the pics at home)
We collect mugs - I bought the first and then found the second (DW not happy when I bought 2 though)
I added a pic with my 5th Anniversary mug
IMG_5104.JPG
IMG_5105.JPG
IMG_5106.JPG

This is a box of tea that I brought home for my friends and family (1 box each)
The challenging part was that there was no description on the box or the individual packages.
Lucky for me I work for a Japanese company so when I got home I had one of my coworkers interpret for me.
IMG_5109.JPG
IMG_5110.JPG
IMG_5112.JPG

The silver mickey is a small dish to put the used tea bag into

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
I took the train from JR train station at Disney (Maihama) and stopped at the Tokyo station.
From there it was a 2 hour bullet train to Nagoya and a 45 min train ride to Toyota City.
I gave up my seat on the last train to this lady and her daughter and I gave her my wristband
It is red with Canada written all over it.
She seemed to like it
IMG_4387.JPG
IMG_4388.JPG

Final thoughts and advice for others:

Tokyo Disneyland
Very similar to DLR in design and rides available.
Poohs Hunny Hunt and Monster Inc Hide and Seek rides are unique and superb!!
Dreamlights is one of the best parades I have every seen and worth the wait (in the cold).

Tokyo Disney Sea
The most stunningly beautiful Disney park I have every seen.
Unique rides like Journey, Sinbad and the theme of Tower.
The latest rides seem to be Character driven which is a shame for a park that was so original

Overall
Ri-donk-u-las-ly busy - I thought I was prepared but it still surprised me. (go mid week!!)
Should have shown up at the gate 1 hour earlier on each day.
The language barrier exists but the CM and other guests are all very friendly and helpful.
2 days - even if I stayed late on both would be too short.
I would plan for 3 days.

So this wraps up the Disney portion - I will probably have a couple more Japan posts and then we will move on to Part 2. (WDW)

I hope everyone stays onboard !!!

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Part 1 Days 11-15- Japan
Ok so after returning back to my hotel in Toyota City on Sunday Dec 11 the rest of the week was pretty much just work.
Here are a few pictures from Toyota City Japan
IMG_4409.JPG
IMG_4410.JPG
IMG_4411.JPG

IMG_4415.JPG

Worked from Monday to Thursday and then headed back to Nagoya on Thursday night.
There were a couple of nice cars parked outside the Hilton
IMG_4419.JPG
IMG_4420.JPG
IMG_4421.JPG
IMG_4423.JPG
IMG_4424.JPG

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
kWalked around Nagoya on Friday morning before heading to the train station.
I was taking the bullet train again back to Toyko to get to Haneda airport.
IMG_4429.JPG

This is a busy intersection so they have the pedestrians walk up and over
IMG_4430.JPG

I thought this was interesting.
Can anyone guess walk the middle section of the stairs is for?
IMG_4431.JPG

If you guessed bicyles....
IMG_4433.JPG

you are correct.
Waiting for my train
IMG_4435.JPG

I was able to get two pics of the famous Mount Fuji from the train.
IMG_4443.JPG
IMG_4444.JPG

And finally the view from the airport lounge
IMG_4446.JPG

This is the view from the window of the bullet train and it has not been sped up at all
I know this sort of thing is normal for the overseas members but for most of us in North American we have never experienced a train this fast.

Flight from Tokyo (Haneda airport - the other airport is Narita) to Minneapolis took approx. 11 hours. Then a 2 hour flight to Toronto and a 1 hour airport van ride to Waterloo and I was finally home.( No major delays or lost bags)

Well that is the end of Part 1 of the trip report.
Next up will be the family vacation to WDW from Dec 23-30.
Stay tuned!!

Last edited:

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Part 2 - Thursday Dec 22
Hopefully you are ready for Part 2 - the family trip to Walt Disney World.
As I explained earlier the trip includes (from left to right) my younger daughter C(19 at the time - now 20), my wife T, older daughter S(21)
AK_EVRST4_20161224_7902824079.jpeg

We have been going to a Disney park almost every year since 2002 - twice in some years.

With both girls in University ( S in 4th and final year and C in 2nd year) the best time for a family trip is over the Christmas break so for the third straight year we will be spending Christmas day away from home.

2014 was WDW, 2015 was DLR and now back to the World.

I had returned from Japan on Friday Dec 16 and had the following week of Dec 19th off work.
I have to book my vacation in January so I took off the week not knowing what day we could leave.
Also needed the time to recover from the jetlag -it hits me hard - pretty much like a Walking Dead zombie.

Both girls have exams in December and C's last possible exam was going to be on Dec 22.
So when we booked in 7 months in advance we had to start on Dec 23 in case her luck was bad and she was writing on 22.
As it turns out her last exam was on Dec 16 (she had 5 in 7 days when I was away!)
S was done earlier on in December and flew home when I was in Japan (she studies on the east coast of Canada at Acadia University in Nova Scotia) - 20 hour drive from our home in Waterloo Ontario.

So 3 of us we off and getting excited to go all week and poor T had to work till the end of Wednesday.
On the Thursday we drove for an hour to the Toronto airport (Pearson) and checked into the Sheraton at the airport .
It was our first time staying at this hotel which is part of the airport terminal.
It was very convenient to just walk to the terminal the next morning.

We had dinner at home and arrive around 8pm.
That is C in her Seahawks hat gving the peace sign.
T and I went down to the lobby bar and had a drink to celebrate the start of the vacation.
IMG_4492.JPG
IMG_4494.JPG

Next Up: Friday Dec 23rd

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom