Trip Report COMPLETED: BEST (DISNEY) MONTH EVER !! - Dec 2016 - 2 Continents, 2 Resorts, 6 Parks !!

Hello to all the Disney Fans

As the title stipulates the month of December was a great Disney month for me and my family

Quick introduction - I am Max and I have been going to Disney since 1979. This trip report will detail trips 24 and 25 for me. (edit 1/17)
IMG_3968.JPG

What: The first leg is a solo trip to Tokyo Disneyland and the second is a family trip to Walt Disney World.
Who: My DW (T) and 2 DD ( S 21 and C 19) and me (Max)
(I am using initials to type less and protect the innocent.
The star over my head in the shot below is awesome!!!
STUDIO_SUNSET3_20161226_7904309987.jpeg

When: Dec 10 and 11 at TDR and Dec 23-30 at WDW
Why: Business trip from Dec 2-16 in Japan & family vacation in Florida.

This is my first full length trip report that I have attempted. In the past I have asked a few questions on the boards, and then posted a few details but never really went all in. The family has agreed to this one so here goes. I will try to use Doc Disney, Nicole and Longers amazing reports as motivation.

Just a few disclaimers (and I understand if I might lose most of my viewers but I have to be up front and honest)

#1 - I am Canadian (hence the honest and upfront approach - lol). So my viewpoints and opinions come from a different perspective at times. I will try to avoid political comments but sometimes the jokes are hard to pass on. (And I know the hat gives it away - I support the Blue Jays and that is the hat the team wears on Canada Day - Our birthday - 150 Years old in 2017!!)

#2 - I do not take a lot of food pictures - I am on a seefood diet - I see food and I eat it. I do not take the time to take a picture of it - I will have a few though.(The sound you hear is of all the "foodies" running for the exit)

#3 I do not own or use an expensive camera - all pictures will be either photo pass or iPhone. (the sound you now hear is of all the photographers leaving the building)

#4 Having been to TDR before (and being on a solo trip) and having been to WDW a few times I did not take a ton of pictures. Hopefully enough to tell the story. And my night time shots are limited (see point 3)

#5 I did not take a great notes (I know - Rookie mistake) but I will rely on my family to fill in the blanks for me.

Next Up : Background on the two trips and how them came to be

Last edited:

amjt660

Original Poster
Taking a step back for a minute:

As I started to explain the lands of TDS I realized that I really did not do a good introduction.
So in the spirit of better late than never - here goes
upload_2017-1-27_11-21-10.png

The resort is made up of 2 main parks (Disneyland and Disney Sea). The parks are side by side.
This is the main difference between TDR and DLR in Anaheim.
At DLR the entrances to the two parks face each other and are separated by an esplanade (think courtyard).
So when you walk up from the main road DLR entrance is on your right, DCA on your left and Downtown Disney in front.
At the Tokyo site a monrorail links up the two parks to the shopping district (Ikspiari) and the numerous hotels.

So on the first day I entered into Disneyland ( bottom right corner entrance) and then on day 2 the entrance to TDS is on the left hand side. If you look at the top RH of the map is the Hilton that I priced out and could not justify the cost.
Being this close would have been nice though.

I will show maps of the two parks in my next post.

Max

amjt660

Original Poster
Toyko Disneyland Map (courtesy of TDR homepage)
upload_2017-1-27_13-5-28.png

Tokyo Disneyland is very similar to Disneyland in Anaheim and Magic Kingdom at WDW
"Spoke and Wheel" or Hub design.
As I mentioned the difference with the World Bazaar being covered.
A unique feature is the short cuts to Tomorrow land and Adventure land from the Bazaar (about 1/3 of the way in)
So unlike the US parks you do not have to walk all the way to the hub to branch off
(see the covered section of the bazaar that looks like a sunroof with one entrance but 3 exits)

Toyko Disney Sea (also from TDR homepage)
upload_2017-1-27_13-12-25.png

Tokyo Disney Sea has the single entrance through the Mira Costa hotel and you are in the Med Harbour.
The volcano is the landmark inside the park but the globe is just as you walk in the gates.
The lands are not setup exactly like a hub but the volcano is the landmark you can use to orientate yourself.
The harbor is used like a mainstreet with vehicles (boats, gondolas, etc) and shows are held on the water (similar to the castle stage at Magic Kingdom in Florida)

I hope these 3 maps will help in following along with the trip report

Max

amjt660

Original Poster
Part 1 Day 10 - On the way to the Arabian coast
So after my journey I started to walk towards the Arabian coast area of the park.
First up was the Mysterious island area which includes 20000 leagues under the sea.
IMG_4151.JPG
IMG_4153.JPG
IMG_4155.JPG

Coming out from the island we get a view of the Arabian Coast
IMG_4156.JPG

IMG_4159.JPG
IMG_4160.JPG
IMG_4161.JPG

The first courtyard was where the Magic Lamp Theater is located.
IMG_4162.JPG
IMG_4163.JPG

This area reminds me of the Morocco country in Epcot.

Next Up : Sinbad!!

Kiwiduck

Hi Max, thanks for suggesting to read my trip report :)
I am loving this Japan report, I am planning a combined trip to Hong Kong, Tokyo and Shanghai parks next year (actually, I don't really want to go to Shanghai, but I feel I should tick it off the list while I am there!!!). I have been lapping up all the info I can about the Japanese parks. The map you included was great, its good being able to see how everything fits together.
The tower of terror looks amazing!

amjt660

Original Poster
Hi Max, thanks for suggesting to read my trip report :)
I am loving this Japan report, I am planning a combined trip to Hong Kong, Tokyo and Shanghai parks next year (actually, I don't really want to go to Shanghai, but I feel I should tick it off the list while I am there!!!). I have been lapping up all the info I can about the Japanese parks. The map you included was great, its good being able to see how everything fits together.
The tower of terror looks amazing!
Hi Kiwi
No problem on recommending others to your report - it is great
Getting pretty jelly of you if you go to all three Asia parks in one trip
Spoiler alert on Tower though - it looks awesome but it really is not that terrorizing
Stay tuned!!

Max

amjt660

Original Poster
Part1 Day 11 - TDS Sinbad
Hello all. I am a little behind on posting with not feeling well this weekend.
Ready to go again with a unique dark ride based on the tale of Sinbad.
I have to admit I really did not know this tale before and a couple parts did not make a lot of sense to me
Enjoy the pics
First off the entrance and some posters in the queue

IMG_4164.JPG

IMG_4166.JPG
IMG_4167.JPG
IMG_4168.JPG
IMG_4169.JPG
IMG_4170.JPG

Next up was to hop in a boat
IMG_4172.JPG

And onto the ride .....
I did not record video so you will have to trust me that the whole ride is done through singing
IMG_4174.JPG
IMG_4175.JPG
IMG_4176.JPG

amjt660

Original Poster
Sinbad cont'd
IMG_4178.JPG
IMG_4179.JPG
IMG_4182.JPG

Chadu (the tiger cub sidekick was really cute)
I had a hard time following the story during the ride but looking back it looks like Sinbad had to take a feather from the eagle to unlock the genie. And apparently the mermaids helped out (?)
IMG_4183.JPG
IMG_4187.JPG
IMG_4188.JPG
IMG_4189.JPG
IMG_4191.JPG

So Sinbad unlocks the door with the feather and next up is ....

amjt660

Original Poster
Sinbad cont'd
And now here is where it gets weird
Not sure about the big monkeys but here goes...
IMG_4203.JPG
IMG_4204.JPG

So after this scene I am seriously WTH ( well actually F but if I put that in two things happen - the site blocks it and Tuvalu thinks less of me and we cannot have that now can we)
Back to the ride. the next scene was a jam session with Sinbad and the monkeys
I am literally not trying to laugh out loud on the ride out of respect - not understanding the story and all
IMG_4205.JPG

Chandu hiding in the bananas is cute though.
Then they ride a big fish
IMG_4206.JPG
IMG_4207.JPG

And return home again
IMG_4208.JPG
IMG_4210.JPG
IMG_4211.JPG
IMG_4212.JPG

And poor little Chandu is all tuckered out..

This was a cute , long dark ride that I really enjoyed.
Not based on an IP and unique to this park.
It was being refurbed in 2006 so I was glad to be ale to ride it this time.

Next Up : Indy!!

Last edited:

amjt660

Original Poster
Part 1 Day 11 - On the way to the Lost River Delta
So after my Sinbad voyage I exited and headed toward the Lost River Delta
First a few shots of the 15th Celebration stations located around the park
I did not catch them all but this one was Donald's
IMG_4215.JPG

If you look closely at Donald he is holding a plaque - you insert your "wand" (see below) and it lights up and makes sounds
upload_2017-1-30_18-41-12.png

I did not directly participate but saw a little girl use it .

The magic carpet ride was added since my last trip - but this one is Jasmines (GIRL POWER)
IMG_4165.JPG
IMG_4216.JPG

Raja is soo cute !!

I walked past Raging Spirts - it is a smaller / compact roller coaster.
I rode it last time but it was not too thrilling and even though it had a single rider line I decided to skip it.
Next up for me was the temple of the Crystal Skull!!!
IMG_4217.JPG
IMG_4218.JPG
IMG_4219.JPG
IMG_4220.JPG

I used the single rider line and was on the ride in9 minutes!!
IMG_4222.JPG
IMG_4223.JPG

NOT my greatest ride photo but in my defense it sorta snuck up on me
This ride is almost identical to the ride in California
But the onride photo does not work in DLR - Not even sure if it ever worked there.
I have been on the US version at least 20 times and do not remember the photo on the TDS one in 2006.

OK OK I will stop making excuses - it was just a bad photo - moving on now...
In hindsight I should of hopped on again since I love this ride.
But oh well, at least I was rocking my Canada hoodie!!!

Last edited:

amjt660

Original Poster
Indy cont'd
Next up I walked back towards the front of the park.
But I actually walked past the temple. ( I sort off approached the Indy ride from the wrong direction so these pics are a bit out of order)
Check out the standby time (9 minutes single rider line rocks!)
IMG_4226.JPG
IMG_4229.JPG

IMG_4225.JPG

Some random Christmas decortions
IMG_4232.JPG

Wait times for Mickey and friends
IMG_4234.JPG

The plane from Raiders of the Lost Ark (check out the Star Wars tie in)
IMG_4235.JPG

IMG_4237.JPG

I walked back through Mysterious Island and found another Crystal Point (Goofy)
IMG_4238.JPG

IMG_4240.JPG

Next Up: Mermaid Lagoon

amjt660

Original Poster
Okay so before Mermaid Lagoon I wanted to attempt to add a video
I do not know it this will work - hopefully someone will let me know if it doesn't

So since the start of this report I have been trying to tell/show you how busy it was.
This video sums it up pretty darn good.

This is not the line for a ride
This is not the line for a show
OR a character or a restaurant
This is a line up for a food cart ( churros and popcorn)
It stretches from the covered cart all the way back to the lights on the back wall
Enjoy

amjt660

Original Poster
Part 1 Day 11 - Mermaid Lagoon
Mermaid Lagoon is the Little Mermaid section of the park (although if you had guessed Peter Pan I would have given you part marks)
Here is the entrance. You go down a ramp into this area that is mostly indoors.
IMG_4157.JPG
IMG_1519.JPG

IMG_4241.JPG

I did not take pictures of the indoor or outdoor rides but suffice to say this is the mandatory kiddie section of the park (think bugs land in DCA).
But the stomach was growling so I stopped here
IMG_4242.JPG

Now to totally break my tradition I actally took pictures of my meal
Do not get excited - it does not happen often
But I could not resist taking pics and sending them home

NOTE: For the morning of each day I was live texting back home for as long as someone was awake and my hotspot had battery life.
Remember I was 14 hours ahead so noon at the park was 10pm the night before.

So here goes with my only TDR food pictures ( a crab cake sandwich on a sourdough bun) and a dessert
IMG_4243.JPG
IMG_4244.JPG
IMG_4245.JPG
IMG_4246.JPG

It tasted as good as it looks!!!

After lunch I walked back up to the mainland (get it , get it, no longer under the sea!!! - I know - keep the day job)
IMG_4249.JPG

Next up was 20,000 Leagues under the Sea
For those of us old enough to remember the WDW attraction (I rode it in 1979 - Yes I am ancient)
The ride vehicles are very different as per below
IMG_4250.JPG

To avoid confusion the model of the Nautilus is just that - a model to view.
The ride is separate ( you do not ride in Nautilus' like you used to at WDW)
It was a little cramped and the ride was underwhelming but it brought back memories for me.

Next Up: Walk to Tower

Last edited:

amjt660

Original Poster
Photo Catch Up time
So I realized after I came back that I did not take a ton of pictures and I purposely did not take some that I knew I had taken in 2006.
But since I am doing a trip report on a park that many have never seen I am going to input some 10 year old shots to fill in the blanks
Hopefully you do not see it as cheating - I am just tying to tell a full story

Raging Spirits - Roller coaster beside Indy ride - same as DLP version - that I did not ride this time
IMG_1516.JPG

IMG_1515.JPG

Exterior of Journey to the Centre of the Earth
IMG_1521.JPG

Journey Ride Vehicle
IMG_1524.JPG

Inside Mermaid Lagoon
IMG_1528.JPG

amjt660

Original Poster
Just found your report, and I'm really enjoying it! As much as I'm intrigued about the Tokyo parks, those crowds do not make me want to go o_O.

Can't wait to read more!
Do not let the crowd levels scare you off
If you can go during the week and not during a national holiday work it is much more bearable.
I did not have a lot of choice since I was there on business
Do not give up the faith
If you are a Disney fan your ultimate goal should be to visit all the parks around the world!!

Thanks for following along
Max

prfctlyximprct

I used to always get upset when other parks would get attractions that Disney World doesn't have. But, now I am just tempted to go! Mermaid Lagoon looks amazing! The food is so well detailed I could cry! I couldn't eat anything, it's too pretty! :)

I am always a tad jealous of Tokyo's monorail. I want a Mickey window! It makes it seem much happier.. Anything Mickey shaped is better to me!

The peace sign trend is a win from me! :) :)

Princess Leia

It's a literal goal of mine to make it to all of the parks (so far I only can check off the 4 Orlando resorts), and I'm so happy I get to live vicariously through your Tokyo pictures.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom