Trip Report **COMPLETED** A (Love) Bug's Life

Hi everyone!
Happy Mother's Day!!!
We just got back from Disney yesterday and it is cold and raining here so seems like a good time to start our TR!

Who?
My Mom (Mary), my Dad (Jeff) and myself (Megan)
This photo is from our trip last year
PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_411283267906.jpg

Where?
Grand Floridian - aside from a very brief stay at the Poly during a race weekend my Dad has never stayed at a Deluxe. So, with a nice AP discount we let him pick any place he wanted and he decided on the Grand :)

When?
May 3 - 11, 2019

Why?
No big reason - we usually go around this time every year to help with the depression of the never ending winter here at home (and its still cold BTW...)

The title?
We have seen love bugs before but we have NEVER seen this many. I know they don't bite or anything but they were everywhere and at times the amount of them was just disgusting. We could not even sit on our balcony and if we were by the pool the only place they did not bother us was in the water. Ew :grumpy::hungover: This is the very reason I do not live in Florida...bugs.

Day 1 May 3, 2019
Our flight was pretty early so I got up at like 2:20 am 😴
My parents picked me up just before 3 and we were on our way! I ALWAYS email Southwest to ask what time their counters open and this time I forgot. So, we got there at 3:20 and it was not open...whoops 🤪
zp7Bq5CnSoS2DHy3yZzfAA.jpg

Everyone was lined up in the full service line but we waited by the self tag kiosks and we ended up being the first ones done with our luggage. Since it was so early the TSA pre-check line was not open yet so we had to go through regular security which is only annoying when you have have a computer and an iPad to drag out :hilarious:
DSC_0412.JPG

DSC_0413.JPG

Be prepared for my Dad not cooperating for photos :p
DSC_0414.JPG

IMG_2800.JPG

GuLhiYrjSMmcp8ZZKuwgkA.jpg

Around 4 am the food places open so we grabbed a bagel
fullsizeoutput_2fd4.jpeg

I spy our plane
DSC_0422.JPG

The time flew by at the airport and very quickly we were boarding the plane! Our flight was on time for once!
Gang is all here..
DSC_0423.JPG

Next up: more travel

Doc Disney

Original Poster
They were swirling the Hei Hei cone the week before when we were there cause the top flavor kept plopping off.

We tried the 33 Club at the Studios. ;)

And the earliest I ever hit WDW via SW airlines was 8:30! and I thought that was awesome.

I'm really enjoying the photos of your Mom and Dad, something from your reports I don't see as often.

I love your Mickey Sleeveless shirt. May I ask where you found that one? Too Cute!

Where is the club 33 at the studios ??
Oh really ? Flights from Buffalo are typically somewhere around 530-7 am in the earliest flight!
My Mickey shirt came from Kohls! I found it just around a week before we left :)

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 May 4, 2019
We got up at 6:30 am this day so that we could Rope Drop HS....I mean better to do it earlier in the trip :hilarious:
IMG_2908.JPG

We had some breakfast in the lounge then headed out to the buses.
I took the most random lounge photos 🤣
The blueberry muffins were SO good...and the Mickey sugar cubes were adorable!
IMG_2909.JPG

IMG_2910.JPG

We planned on taking an Uber only if a bus was not coming soon but thankfully one was scheduled to come just 5 minutes later !
We got there before 8 and the park did not open until 9 but we were glad we got there early because it was already pretty crowded!
DSC_0553.JPG

They had specialty May the 4th Star Wars merchandise so there were a lot of people rope dropping that - but still a fair amount rope dropping Toy Story Land
IMG_2913.JPG

IMG_2915.JPG

The park ended up opening at 8:40 - woohoo! Our goal was Slinky Dog since my Dad had not been on it yet.
DSC_0555.JPG

DSC_0557.JPG

DSC_0559.JPG

We waited about 15 minutes !
422738498.jpeg

Next up: more HS

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
IMG_2917.JPG

My Dad loved it!! (As did we obviously)
We decided to wait for TSM next. The wait was listed as an hour but Touring Plans said it was less than that and my Dad said let's do it so we did! We go way more than my Dad so my Mom and I were very much so go with the flow :)
DSC_0561.JPG

IMG_2920.JPG

IMG_2922.JPG

fullsizeoutput_31c1.jpeg

DSC_0567.JPG

Anyway...we ended up actually waiting almost an hour (I can't tell you the last time I waited an hour for anything 🤪) and then this happened....
IMG_2925.JPG

The ride shut down :banghead:
Thankfully it was only for about 5 minutes and we were on!
IMG_2927.JPG

IMG_2928.JPG

We missed our Aerosmith FP while we were in line but we were OK with it because we had fun and Aerosmith is not our favorite anymore *due to headache potential 😁

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
After our ride we briefly checked out the Incredibles area :)
422795856.jpeg

422795952.jpeg

422795892.jpeg

422795986.jpeg

Then we headed over towards our FP....
Another photo along the way...
422803371.jpeg

Our Fast Pass was for Beauty and the Beast....my Dad picked it which we reminded him of :happy:
DSC_0574.JPG

DSC_0581.JPG

DSC_0586.JPG

I hate to say it @blgauger but I just don't like this show ....:oops:
I mean its OK but I feel like the Animal Kingdom shows are much better :)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Where is the club 33 at the studios ??
Oh really ? Flights from Buffalo are typically somewhere around 530-7 am in the earliest flight!
My Mickey shirt came from Kohls! I found it just around a week before we left :)

Club 33 is in the Brown Derby Lounge. We pretended to tap and my kid, the adventures one walked up the open staircase.

When we fly out of Midway-Chicago it is usually a 830 arrival. For us leaving from home to Midway it is usually a 2:30am departure to airport. Last few trips we opted for Ohare-Chicago for an 8am departure. We were finding ourselves too tired to enjoy the second half of the day at Disney departing for the airport at 230 am.\\

I hate to say it @blgauger but I just don't like this show ....:oops:
I mean its OK but I feel like the Animal Kingdom shows are much better :)

The vocals are great in B&B but the show is too hokey for us, like many. The talent is there for so many shows but the theater not so much. We always see shows but they are mostly on a 5 year rotating schedule. Enough time to remind me Disney could put more effort into the theater side of their talent, they've pretty much mastered vocal.

Last edited:

PolynesianPrincess

Following along!
I haven't been to WDW during love bug season in a few years and I must say, with all the IG pictures I've seen from family and friends in Florida, I'm definitely not missing anything! 😂

We have been debating Liberty Tree for our dinner on arrival night in September. We have Narcoossee's booked but the flights were taking are later than we would like, so we are debating skipping Coossee's for LTT. We LOVE LTT pot roast and the rest of the meal looks really good too!!

We always see the Declaration Muppet's show too but it's still so cute!

Love the Mickey shaped sugar and I would die over the waffles with whipped cream and strawberries! That's my favorite Disney breakfast EVER!!!! :)

Rista1313

Following along!
I haven't been to WDW during love bug season in a few years and I must say, with all the IG pictures I've seen from family and friends in Florida, I'm definitely not missing anything! 😂

We have been debating Liberty Tree for our dinner on arrival night in September. We have Narcoossee's booked but the flights were taking are later than we would like, so we are debating skipping Coossee's for LTT. We LOVE LTT pot roast and the rest of the meal looks really good too!!

Love the Mickey shaped sugar and I would die over the waffles with whipped cream and strawberries! That's my favorite Disney breakfast EVER!!!! :)

There are a lot of us there in September.. when are you going to be there?

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Following along!

LTT seems to be our new place to go at the beginning of a trip...we are doing it our next trip too :)
I wish everything was Mickey shaped at home too 😁

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Club 33 is in the Brown Derby Lounge. We pretended to tap and my kid, the adventures one walked up the open staircase.

When we fly out of Midway-Chicago it is usually a 830 arrival. For us leaving from home to Midway it is usually a 2:30am departure to airport. Last few trips we opted for Ohare-Chicago for an 8am departure. We were finding ourselves too tired to enjoy the second half of the day at Disney departing for the airport at 230 am.\\

The vocals are great in B&B but the show is too hokey for us, like many. The talent is there for so many shows but the theater not so much. We always see shows but they are mostly on a 5 year rotating schedule. Enough time to remind me Disney could put more effort into the theater side of their talent, they've pretty much mastered vocal.

I agree I think its a bit too hokey

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
After the Beauty and the Beast show we headed over to eat some lunch at ABC Commissary. I don't know why we decided on this for lunch because we have never been there before but it worked out well. I am glad I mobile ordered since that part was empty and the lines to order were packed!
My Dad got the Mediterranean Salad with Chicken
IMG_2931.JPG

My Mom got the kids chicken nuggets
IMG_2933.JPG

And I got the kids Mac and cheese
IMG_2934.JPG

We also got the 30th Anniversary dessert...because you know...mobile order offers it to you and I always accept :hilarious:
IMG_2930.JPG

My Dad carried around this spoon we got the day before for the Hei Hei cones so it will make an appearance here and there - don't worry he did not use it but it became a running joke :)
IMG_2935.JPG

The hat was: Lemon Sponge Cake, Vanilla Swiss Buttercream, Lemon Curd and White-Chocolate Glaze
It was yum!!!!! Everything was actually really great!
After lunch we headed to get a quick May the 4th picture for my IG (doing it for the 'gram as they say)
IMG_2936.JPG

Then, we headed back to TSL for our final FP
422902237.jpeg

My Dad did not ride Alien Swirling Saucers because he does not enjoy spin rides :)
IMG_2941.JPG

IMG_2942.JPG

Next up: back to the resort

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
We headed out after this and back to the Grand Floridian.
We did go down to the pool but my Mom and I did not get dressed for it since it was going to rain soon
Oh yea-- there was a wedding so we got to see the horses and the carriage !
file-103.jpg

IMG_2944.JPG

I got the magazine from Sugar Loaf ... :joyfull:
IMG_2943.JPG

It rained for several hours so we spent some time in the room and eventually took an Uber to Epcot.
The security was EXTRA long - it literally took over 10 minutes to get in. On the bright side the rain stopped just as we got there :)
We stopped for a quick PP picture
423080109.jpeg

423080170.jpeg

Look at this cool bird!
DSC_0600.JPG

She/he actually had a nest below the umbrella
DSC_0601.JPG

DSC_0603.JPG

I do not remember what happened but somehow we ended up being almost late for our dinner reservation so we ended up walk sprinting (aka fast walking) to Morocco and made it just in time. My Dad picked Spice Road Table for dinner and we were doing the Garden Rocks dining package :)
We were going to ask to sit inside due to love bugs but we were not given a choice. We were put outside but there were no love bugs in sight thankfully !!
We were right on the water which was nice
IMG_2945.JPG

IMG_2947.JPG

Next up: more dinner

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
Since we were doing a dining package we each got an appetizer, entree and dessert
Appetizers:
I got the brie fondue
IMG_2955.JPG

My Dad got the fried calamari
IMG_2956.JPG

My Mom got the hummus and imported olives
IMG_2957.JPG

IMG_2958.JPG

For entrees:
I got the NY strip steak with Rosemary Potatoes, Green Beans, and Harissa Demi Glace
IMG_2959.JPG

My Dad had the Lamb Sliders (Brioche, Cucumber Dill, Mixed Olives, and Mint Tzatziki Sauce) with Hummus Fries
IMG_2960.JPG

My Mom got the Mix Grill Skewers (Marinated Beef and Chicken) with French Green Beans, Toasted Almonds, and Rosemary Potatoes
IMG_2961.JPG

For dessert:
I got the baklava
IMG_2962.JPG

My Dad (aka my Mom and I since my Dad does not eat a ton of sweets) got the chocolate pyramid (there were only three options so we essentially just asked for all 3)
IMG_2963.JPG

My Mom had the Pistachios and Saffron Custard
IMG_2964.JPG

Everything (except maybe the chocolate pyramid which was just ho hum) was fantastic! We loved it!! This was a first for my Dad (and a surprising second for my Mom and I) :)

Next up: some after dinner fun

krisri18

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
We headed over to Japan after this
DSC_0652.JPG

DSC_0653.JPG

DSC_0654.JPG

DSC_0655.JPG

DSC_0656.JPG

fullsizeoutput_31e6.jpeg

Again...I swear my Dad was there...
Then we wandered over to the line for the dining package - there was barely anyone in it - complete opposite of the Candlelight Processional !
DSC_0659.JPG

fullsizeoutput_31e8.jpeg

Soon enough we were seated and we had some nice seats up pretty close :)
Who were we seeing?
DSC_0665.JPG

Heman's Hermits starring Peter Noone! We saw them last year as well but had to miss most of it and they are one of my Mom's favorites so that's why we did the dining package.
DSC_0666.JPG

Next up: more Epcot

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom