comments about Disney on Travel Channel

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Original Poster
What did everyone out there think of the Travel Channel show on Walt Disney World? It's about time that they finally got one produced. Of course, one hour was hardly enough time to cover the whole property ( I think they'd need at least an hour on each park ), but it was a start. I enjoyed the fact that some of the comments made were by amusement industry people that are NOT employed by Disney. My favorite part was when it was mentioned that Disney had a studio park in developement before Universal announced their plans. And as far as that other park touting itself as the most technically advanced theme park on the planet...well let's just say that when they opened up that parade float, they showed that Disney is way ahead of the competition when it comes to technology. They just don't make a big deal about it, because they've always been using it ( in just about every single aspect of the park.)
I also watched the Roller Coasters of the West special that aired right afterwards. It had some good segments featuring California Screamin' and the Matterhorn, and giving some credit where credit is due.
If you didn't catch these shows, just check your local listingsbecause Travel Cahnnel tends to run their shows over and over.

AJAX

I really enjoyed the show. As a 'civilian' there was a lot of inside info about WDW that I wasn't aware of.
I had no idea that the MK was built on a foundation 14' above the existing ground level to allow for the network of tunnels beneath it.
I easily could have absorbed another hour... or two!:D

stingrock23

The show was great. Lots of neat inside information. More time is needed to make a perfect show, but at least we got something. It just makes me more bummed that i'm not going for 5 months, but I truly enjoyed the show. I can just imagine how many details they could show if it were given much time, but maybe that will happen in the future. The travel channel is one of my favorite channels ever since they started doing vacation and theme park shows.

MajinBuu

Did anyone else notice that when they did the segment on Test Track, when they showed the outside track, that they stopped short of showing what was going on behind Mission: Space? Not even a little slip of a frame or two!!! Disney must have been on the backs of the editors...

And did anyone else hear that Cinderella Castle has somewhat of an apartment that was intended for Walt and his family, and after he passed on, they used it as the phone message center (I forgot if that is what they said...)?

Oh, and last.... Disney MGM Studios was originally going to be an attraction at EPCOT!!! Smart thinking on making it a whole park instead... Universal came in second in the race to see which park would open first... its cool what you learn in just an hour long program....

NowInc

Most of those things are discussed in the Imagineering books out there...but it was cool to see the inside of ToT....

disneytati

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

DID ANYONE VIDEOTAPE THIS? Do you have any idea how this could be sent here by anyone? There is NO travel channel in Brazil!!!!!! I am sooooo sad I missed this program!!!

:( :( :(

DisJosh

There wasn't much I didn't already know about...except the parade route sensor thingies. :D It was great to watch I would have loved if they made a mini series out of it...wouldn't that be cool? Lol

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by NowInc
Most of those things are discussed in the Imagineering books out there...but it was cool to see the inside of ToT....

It was cool to see the DAC's (sb?)
A whole rack unit just for the Haunted mansion sounds!
The Technology looks a bit dated though...and it looked like some ride programs run on a windows platform...what happends when they get the blue screen of death?LOL:)

popkid

i had my parents tape it since i don't have the travel channel where i live. as soon as i get the tape i will put it up on-line...

hopefully by the weekend

Jessica Rabbit

I couldn't agree more, one hour was not nearly enough time to cover everything. But I love the travel channel, and it just made me wish I didn't have two more weeks till we go to Disney:brick: :brick: :( :mad:

Nut4Disney

I enjoyed how they showed Epcot being created. I found it fascinating that it took them 3 yrs to build Epcot, and it cost $1 billion after one year of construction, and Animal Kingdom costs $800 million to build the whole thing.

Invero

Originally posted by DMC-12

It was cool to see the DAC's (sb?)
A whole rack unit just for the Haunted mansion sounds!
The Technology looks a bit dated though...and it looked like some ride programs run on a windows platform...what happends when they get the blue screen of death?LOL:)

Actually... they're now called "Engineering Services" but of course, having been called DACS for so long, they'll still respond to it, and everyone knows who they are... :)

As for the rack unit for the sounds... I'm not sure how recent that segment was... but I do know that they're in the process of converting everything over to the Alcorn McBride Binloop system, which is a more complex version of the audio system on the monorail. (No, you won't start hearing, "Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas" on the Haunted Mansion... lol)

Disney4648

I thought it was very good. It was better than those Las vegas Tour shows they have on the Travel Channel Every day. I think maybe they will make a few more....becuase a lot of people watched a little event like this. The part i liked was The Tes Track and the building of Spacehip Earth.

wannabeBelle

I saw the show and thought it was great. I do have a videotape of it but I have no idea how to get it online for everyone!!
Sorry guys!!! Also did anyone catch Wild California right before it?? They had a segment on Walt Also. Very nicely done on both shows!! Hey Travel channel MORE DISNEYWORLD STUFF!!!!

MinnieFan

I thought the show was great. Anytime I see WDW on TV it makes me happy. The only bad thing about it it, it makes me want to BE there! Only 205 more days, but who's counting.

wannabeBelle

OK Guys good news I was able to get the days this program will be rebroadcast
May 11th2002 at 12AM
May 11th 2002 at 3pm
May 12th 2002 at 2 pm
Hope this helps and get those VCR's all warmed up!!

It's times like last night that make me happy about my UltimateTV box... I set up a search for disney/epcot/walt disney world and anything that has any of those words/phrases in the description or title get saved!

Technology is really nice when it is set up correctly! and written correctly!

Just sad to say it's a Micro$oft product...

Loved the show!

disneytati

Oh, I am sooooo happy to know you will try to post this program on the web for the ones who didn't have the opportunity to watch it. Yesterday I was so sad, thinking that at that time, everyone was watching the program and I was not! There used to be travel channel here, but not anymore. I wonder why. But I am happy today, there is some hope of getting this video.
Thank you all!
Kisses from Brazil!
:kiss:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom