Coming I-10 west from New Orleans...Detour Advice

Snoballego

Hello Folks from west of Florida,

I remember the recent hurricane wiped out some of the bay bridge. How is traffic routed now? And what kind of delays should one expect? Any short cuts or routes to minimize delays?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Snoballego

Deb luvs Disney

Hi. We drove from Houston to Disney last Sunday and just returned last night. We had forgotten about the bridge being wiped out and were made aware of it when we stopped at the Florida welcome center. Basically a few miles before the bridge they merge everybody into one lane to cross over. There are 2 sections where you actually drive over steel grating rather than concrete. We didn't get backed up too bad when we were waiting to merge - maybe we were lucky. Yesterday on our way home the east bound traffic was backed up pretty bad.

I can't help you with any detours but I know they had one posted at the FL welcome center (we just didn't pay enough attention). The delay didn't slow us down too much.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

frazierle

We went through it during a Thanksgiving trip and they were still using the westbound lane as 2 way traffic going there. Returning home they had a lane open on the eastbound bridge (the one damaged). Going to Disney we hit the area around 7 to 8 am slowed to around 30 to 40 mph for a mile or so (never stopping) hit the bridge and once we crossed it - it was clear sailing. Our return trip we were passing through and traffic was backed up for miles (going to Disney - eastbound) to get over the bridge this was around 3 in the afternoon. I guess my point is your timing as to when you hit the bridge will probably play a major role if you have any delays. We passed through on a Friday morning and apparently hit it before rush hour and returning home was a Wed in the middle of it. Our next trip for Mardi Gras we've decided to travel on Saturday to try and avoid any heavy delays in the area. Have fun.

Upvote 0

Debbie

frazierle said:
We went through it during a Thanksgiving trip and they were still using the westbound lane as 2 way traffic going there. Returning home they had a lane open on the eastbound bridge (the one damaged). Going to Disney we hit the area around 7 to 8 am slowed to around 30 to 40 mph for a mile or so (never stopping) hit the bridge and once we crossed it - it was clear sailing. Our return trip we were passing through and traffic was backed up for miles (going to Disney - eastbound) to get over the bridge this was around 3 in the afternoon. I guess my point is your timing as to when you hit the bridge will probably play a major role if you have any delays. We passed through on a Friday morning and apparently hit it before rush hour and returning home was a Wed in the middle of it. Our next trip for Mardi Gras we've decided to travel on Saturday to try and avoid any heavy delays in the area. Have fun.

Hi Frazierle! We, too, are going for Mardi Gras! We'd leave Saturday, but some old friends of ours are the king and queen of DesAllemands, so we are leaving Monday. Where are you staying? We will be at Pop Century, and I'm trying to do something Mardi Gras-ish for the day. We will be in Magic Kingdom on Mardi Gras day; look for Jesuit (of New Orleans) to march down Main Street for the 3pm parade, and look for a rowdy bunch of funloving, bayoufolk, hopefully all wearing purple.

Upvote 0

crazydaveh

I am not sure about I 10... but once you get on I 75, be prepared for traffic this week!

It took about five hours to get from I 10 to Disney on Monday. This is usually a 2 1/4 hour trip!

Not accidents or construction, just a lot of people heading both ways.

The turnpike was nuts at the pay booths! Don't forget to pack your patience!

Just thought I would share!

Upvote 0

tonypitt

I live in Pensacola where Hurricane Ivan hit. The bridge that is problematic is Escambia Bay Bridge.

Headed east there is only 1 lane of traffic. During the day, expect significant delays headed that direction.

On Friday 12/17 my wife and I went to WDW. We left Pensacola at 2:30 p.m. It took us about 90 minutes to cover 10 miles of I-10 over the Escambia Bay Bridge. (Roughly mile marker 10 to the other side of the bridge.)

The bad news is that any other alternate route is likely to be just as crowded and far enough out of your way to make it useless.

Once you're through that area, it's all clear sailing.

I live 1 mile from Exit 5 off I-10 in Florida. If anyone wants to pick me up on their way through the area, I've got my AP ready to go. :)

West-bound traffic is flowing normally.

I've noticed that since Christmas, traffic in this area has improved significantly. Hopefully you will find it easier in your travels as well.

Upvote 0

Debbie

Snoballego said:
Jesuit....thats a pretty decent high school...

small world...Class of 1998.

My girlfriend has been trying to get there to see her son march with Jesuit since he started. Since he's a senior this year, this was it. I have to give the boy kudos, since traveling to New Orleans from Luling is quite a drive for a teenager; it would have been easy to just go to Hahnville. But he loves Jesuit and seems to get alot out of the school. It was really hard though, before he drove. Sometimes even I would drive down Earhardt Expressway to get him and I HATE driving in the city, especially in that neighborhood.
What area did you grow up? I'm from Algiers.

Upvote 0

frazierle

Going to stay at no other than the French Quarter. Get the flavor of home minus the drunks, gutter punks, the smell, greased light pools, and have never been asked at POFQ "I bet I can guess where your shoes are from" :) . We'll be at MK on Tuesday also, have breakfast I believe at Tony's that morning. I grew up in Marrero, moved to the Thibodaux area about 6 years ago.

As tonypitt said during the day the traffic will be heavy in that section. You (Debbie) and Snoballego may want to consider leaving early enough to pass through Pensacola before morning rush hour.

Upvote 0

Debbie

We plan on pulling out at 3am. It's about the earliest I can get all of the drinkers up from the D.A. parade. I plan on not drinking for the big day; but the rest of the group will be celebrating the Tregle's reign as king and queen. We're having a Disney meeting Friday nite, and I want to lay out the game plan. I'm going to be so upset if they are too hung over to wake up and get on the road.

Upvote 0

Debbie

STR8FAN2005 said:
My family and I might be going for Mardi Gras too. We'll be staying at Port Orleans. I believe that they have a parade there on Fat Tuesday.

Do you have reservations yet? Or are you taking a chance on everything falling into place and getting a room at the last minute? I want to stay at Port Orleans, but the other paying members of my party can't swing it this time.
Have a Great Time! Too bad all the New Orleans area folks can't get together and have a party? Kingcake, Mardi Gras music, and fun by a pool.

Upvote 0

Toughbug63

We are heading down there on that Sunday, planning to leave around 5 a.m. after walking in the Cub scout parade on Saturday. Hoping the early start will help avoid the traffic in that area.

And being a lifelong Metairie Bucktown rat, we are escaping again. And it seems like half of our children's school is going also. And alot of them are staying at the Pop.

And by the way, Brother Martin Class of '81.

Upvote 0

lcsrig

Mardi Gras w/ Mickey

We're from Houma and this will be our third trip to Disney for Mardi Gras!! :sohappy: We'll wave to you from above on Sunday b/c I don't want to be in a car with Hubby and 6 yr old that long!! :brick: I'd be doing that!
We'll be looking for everyone in their Mardi Gras shirts!! We have brought beads in the past to pass out to others! So many people love to get them. We're staying at Carribean so our child can see what white sand looks like for a change.
See ya there!!!!

Upvote 0

Debbie

lcsrig said:
We're from Houma and this will be our third trip to Disney for Mardi Gras!! :sohappy: We'll wave to you from above on Sunday b/c I don't want to be in a car with Hubby and 6 yr old that long!! :brick: I'd be doing that!
We'll be looking for everyone in their Mardi Gras shirts!! We have brought beads in the past to pass out to others! So many people love to get them. We're staying at Carribean so our child can see what white sand looks like for a change.
See ya there!!!!

Wave as you pass me in Des Allemands; by Otto Candies' White House. I'll be there doing my time for the parade; but anxiously waiting to go home and finish loading up for 2am Monday! I'm gonna have to get some beads to pass out. I bet those people would trip out on the canes with the paper flowers-you know the kind those drunk men want a smooch for :hurl:
Look for purple shirts with Hahnville High!
I got to see the white sand on the Fourchon for the first time last year :animwink:

Upvote 0

Debbie

Toughbug63 said:
We are heading down there on that Sunday, planning to leave around 5 a.m. after walking in the Cub scout parade on Saturday. Hoping the early start will help avoid the traffic in that area.

And being a lifelong Metairie Bucktown rat, we are escaping again. And it seems like half of our children's school is going also. And alot of them are staying at the Pop.

And by the way, Brother Martin Class of '81.

You could have registered here as Bucktown Allstar :D

Brother Martin-----you graduated with Herman Franck?

Upvote 0

Disneydreaming

:cry: sniff sniff, wish I could go and meet everyone from Louisiana. I just took my kids for Thanksgving week, and won't be able to get off work for Mardi Gras. Everyone have a great time :wave: .

Upvote 0

CaptainMichael

Disneydreaming said:
:cry: sniff sniff, wish I could go and meet everyone from Louisiana. I just took my kids for Thanksgving week, and won't be able to get off work for Mardi Gras. Everyone have a great time :wave: .

Where do you live in Slidell? I live in Doubloon Bayou Estates which is near Quail Ridge. I go to Northshore High School.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom