Colder Weather at WDW

datw@epcot

Flame retardant: I realize that many of the forum members live in a colder climate, so don't cringe at my questions.

Doesn't the cooler weather make WDW more enjoyable during the holiday season? I like the way that the decorations and music are matched by the cooler temperatures. I live in South Florida, and the cooler temps are a bit of a novelty.

Also, does colder weather, in a sense, make the trip more of a disappointment for Northerners?

Went down from CT last weekend, the cold was a major disappointment.

wendysue

"Blizzard Warning" for Iowa and Illinois and just about everywhere else up here, so I wish, I wish, I were in Florida right now........:(

mm52

cold weather

This is what I'm saying!
Just got back from Disney World and it was COLD for all but one day of our trip. First day was 82 then the temps went down to 30's in the am and the high was 58 in the late afternoon. We have always gone at this time of the year and this is the first time that we hit a whole 10 days of cold weather. Of course, it was great being at WDW but it was to cold for me, we live in New England and were trying to catch some warm weather before the long cold winter. We attended the Christmas Party, but could only manage to stay to 10:30, a first for us, we usually stay until the last possible minute.
I do enjoy being there during the cooler temps, but this was extreme. Still we had a great time just didn't get to do the trip in the same manner that we are use to.

BuzzGoofy

I am from Northern Canada (Edmonton). We have Cold weather here from early November until late March. Some days in the winter it gets to -30C which is about -30F, so the cooler weather in WDW would be fine with me. The only problem I would have with the cold would be if they closed the pools. I love swimming and would miss it terribly if I were not able to swim while in WDW.

Jeff456

We are going the first week of Feb (we usually go in the fall). Generally what is the weather like then. You have a "low 60s" is that usually what it's like in Feb?
Probably not the best person to answer that to be honest, I'm just saying that's the coldest it's ever been whilst i've been at WDW, but that's the only time I have been outside of October and August when obviously it's much warmer. It was low to mid 70s for much of the time we were there in Feb though, I think it's a pretty mixed bag!

PeoplemoverTTA

In January 2001, my sister and I left snowy Buffalo, NY for a long weekend in Orlando. During the day it was in the low 50s, but the mornings were low 30s. We found it positively balmy :ROFLOL:

I can imagine, though, how disappointing it would be for someone who's not used to the weather. Florida sunshine with cold just feels different than snowy Northeast cold, I guess.

Bennyrn12

I was just down there last week and the cold was HORRIBLE and Im from Rochester NY!!! We planned a winter trip to florida to escape the cold and we ended up having ice of the dock of the contemporary!! The cold actually made the christmas decorations less enjoyable because it was too cold to be outside for long at night. Dont even get me started on the prices for hats and gloves down there!!!

madswithano

Not gonna lie, a cold visit to Disney is a massive disappointment for me. We usually go in the winter, when it's 20 degrees and and everything is covered in snow and ice here in Michigan, and the warm weather and sun is an escape. We were in Orlando last February and I hated it. I had to wear my winter coat most of the days, when all I wanted to do was break out the shorts and bikinis.

I'm terrified it's going to stay cold and crappy at WDW next month when we'll be there. I'm running the half marathon and if it's 30 degrees when we start at o'dark thirty I am not going to be a happy camper.

Mouse Man

I live in the North East. So when it is bitterly cold with snow on the ground for a prolonged period of time, the 40's and 50's feel like a heat wave and the 60's and 70's are great. Being warm for Fall and Christmas is just all together wrong and ruins the Holiday season. Fall is to be warm and then the next day a little nippy, December is suppose to get us ready for the cold winter. Now the end of January to the middle of February is when I start to loose my patience with the cold weather and start thinking of FLA and or a Tropical vacation. My brothr in Lake Wales cries when the temps drop down into the 40' & 50's and I am sitting here in the teens to 30's. Poor guy (LOL).

epcotWSC

After sitting outside in the rain yesterday watching my NY Jets get destroyed. I'll take the so called Florida "cold" every day.

rsoxguy

Original Poster
After sitting outside in the rain yesterday watching my NY Jets get destroyed. I'll take the so called Florida "cold" every day.

How ironic. It was in the comfortable 70's here, and I watched the Dolphins beat the Jets on my TV while wearing shorts and a t-shirt. It was a "trip".

rsoxguy

Original Poster
You like every team that I despise :lol:

Yeah, but the mutual interest in WDW makes it all good.
smiley-happy023.gif

WDW 3

Only 19º difference in the temp ND 10º and WDW 29º!! In December! Sadly we will stay this cold and it will warm up there and I would still rather be there:xmas:

sweetpee_1993

I was just down there last week and the cold was HORRIBLE and Im from Rochester NY!!! We planned a winter trip to florida to escape the cold and we ended up having ice of the dock of the contemporary!! The cold actually made the christmas decorations less enjoyable because it was too cold to be outside for long at night. Dont even get me started on the prices for hats and gloves down there!!!

Omg! I knoooow! Last January the day before we left I ran up to the sporting goods store & bought hats, gloves, & under-layers for my family. The gloves were black knit non-descript & cost $.99. Walking thru a shop at Disney I spotted the exact same black knit non-descript gloves with the same manufacturer tag and everything. Disney was selling them for $8. That's a $7 spread! That's insane! They weren't even Disney-labeled with a Mickey or anything. That's so blatantly taking advantage of guest misery. If I hadn't already bought stuff & had a need I would've made the kids put socks on their hands before I spent the $8 on those gloves. Lol!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom