Colder Weather at WDW

rkelly42

I can understand why people from florida like to have some cooler weather during the christmas. It adds more to the feel of the holidays, but from being from the north (MA) I like to go to Florida to have some warm weather during the holidays, but I am used to the cold weather and just I just deal with it.

Rinx

I live in northern NJ and went to WDW January 5th-10th. It was 32 degrees when we took off from Newark in the morning and 31 degrees when we landed in Orlando. There was no difference whatsoever, it was a major disappointment. That night, MK was open to 11pm for EMH and it was in the mid 20's!! I couldn't believe it! My brother and I kept saying "I can't believe we are in the Magic Kingdom wearing heavy coats with ski hats and gloves and trying to stay warm." Thunder Mountain was a huuuuge mistake :lol: Luckily by the end of the trip we were walking around in short sleeves and no jackets.

mycatspot

I do NOT like the cold weather while at WDW, even during the holidays. We are just 9 day away from our next trip and the weather has been cold, rainy, windy, warm, cold again...crazy.

Keep in mind that as S Florida residents, we don't even OWN gloves, hats, scarves, boots or puffy coats! In no way are we (my family) prepared to be comfortable outside in 50 degree weather, and less at night.

Gotta go pack my layers now...leaving soon and the extended forcast during my trip is ranging from 78 to 30. Yikes!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
I live in central PA so when I go to WDW I want nothing below 70 if I can have my way (and I don't see why I can't :(:p) Seriously it is my goal never to have to wear jeans in WDW, and I've been able to stick by that in 8 previous trips (Jan, Feb, Mar, Oct, and Nov) and I don't want to change that now during my upcoming January trip!

And when I say to never wear jeans I mean just that...I do wear shorts or capris :lol:

mickey2008.1

Its cold here, with over 2 ft of snow the past 4 days. The weather looks great for us, except for the low 30's sunday, monday and tuesday nights, but 58 during the day will be fine, better than the high of 14 here on monday with a possible blizzard. This will be our first time down in the past four years that it has not been 80 everyday at this time of year, and were ok with it, just keep the rain away! This just makes it that much harder to pack, were not taking heavy coats, but sweatshirts and layers. No matter what, it will still be a great time.:xmas::xmas::xmas:

a2grafix

I really don't mind at any time of year to go. But have to tell you that December 2009 (8-14), was very interesting in Central Florida. Summertime in December with thick fog overnight through mid-morning near the end of my trip.

In fact, I believe the last 80-plus-degree day for 2009 was on the day before I left because, as well all know, January 2010 was frigid and and snowy, which is a rarity.

It was strange, though, for me arriving in Orlando and the high was 64 and cloudy, a little windy. Although I was in a sweater and pants, strange to see locals in winter coats, hats and mittens. It was fun getting ready for the Christmas party, though - shorts, shirt, flip-flops, a santa cap, and a BIG BULKY WOOL HOLIDAY SWEATER. It was around 82, cloudy, with 70-80-percent humidity. Perspired a little, but was awesome. Twelve days before Christmas. It was fun.

The same thing can be said when I visited Disneyland a few weeks ago in early October, five days after record highs of 111 in Los Angeles and Anaheim, I was walking around in 65-degree rain in shorts and a sweatshirt in near record-cold. Felt fine, but should have brought a thicker sweater.

I didn't mind in both instances because I was on vacation and took it in stride. I guess being a life-long northerner that has experienced year after year of four seasons, and spendind 4 years in Alaska on an assignment, I have learned to adapt.

I just wonder what it would be like living in Orlando and SoCal 24-7.

scbb11Sketch

I live in Chicago, and I'll be there on Christmas this year. I get one week a year vacation from work, and if it's anything but 80s and sunny I'll be ed.

mickey2008.1

unkadug, you have know idea what your missing up here this year. You are the lucky one. Even though i agree that it should not be cold there like here. I have to rethink my relocation to orlando to key west, or the virgin islands.:ROFLOL:

ABigBrassBand

Opposite here; I get frustrated when we go and it's all sunny and humid, so now we go during Winter when it's off-peak and is cool enough for us to walk around without being too hot/cold.

However, there was only one time that I detested the cold, but that was because it was sleet at DAK.

oec7516

Chilly

I just got back from WDW and while he cold was a tad annoying overall I don't think it detracted from the experience. Thought I always find it funny to see people in full winter coats, hats and gloves in 40/50 degree weather.

All my friends back home (Upstate NY) kept sending me pictures of the snow we were getting while we were gone!

sweetpee_1993

Flame retardant: I realize that many of the forum members live in a colder climate, so don't cringe at my questions.

Doesn't the cooler weather make WDW more enjoyable during the holiday season? I like the way that the decorations and music are matched by the cooler temperatures. I live in South Florida, and the cooler temps are a bit of a novelty.

Also, does colder weather, in a sense, make the trip more of a disappointment for Northerners?

We froze our Southern rear-ends off last January at WDW for the big freeze. How many people can say it snowed/sleeted TWICE while they were at WDW?! Well, we can. See the TR in the signature. Holiday time had already past but it was so intensely miserable that I don't see myself enjoying it ever no matter what time of year it is. Cold weather blows. I don't know how people up north live with that stuff. It's the pits. :cool:

Mikester71

As a Canadian, I can stand a little snow and cold this time of year. The more snow, the better I say. But ONLY for the month of December (so that we can have a white Christmas) and then it can all go away until the following December!!! And sure, I am used to Canadian winters lasting until mid March, early April most years. Grew up in them and know nothing different. But I would absolutely hate it if I was down in Florida and had to endure temperatures lower than mid 60's for any length of time during my trip! We have been going every second March since 2005 on the kids Spring Break and I know we have had a day or two in the 60's during each of our past trips. But I honestly don't think I would be able to enjoy myself down there if the temps got much colder than that or never got into the 70's or 80's for most of our trip. That is why we go down there when we do, for a little escape from our harsh and LONG Canadian winter!

As a Northerner who got to experience all four seasons growing up, I always had this vision as a child of Florida weather being like our summer (70 to 90 degrees with lots of sun), but only all year round and with gorgeous palm trees everywhere! Of course I realized this wasn't the case as I got older. But that's not to say I still wasn't a wee bit shocked when I watched the news last January and saw Florida being gripped in a wicked cold snap that even produced actual snow sightings. All I could think to myself while watching it was how glad I was that I wasn't heading down last March in case the temperatures remained frigid. It would have totally ruined my childhood vision of Florida. :(

So I'm with you all on the cooler temps for this month to help with the Christmas mood/spirit, but here's hoping I can have my 70-80 degree weather back when we head down this upcoming March for our Spring Break again! :lookaroun

Susan Savia

We always go to Disney World in the winter. It might be cold there (30's or 40's) but its not as cold as it is here in Northern VA at that time of the year. We always plan accordingly and bring zip up sweatshirts and pull over sweatshirts (to go under) and jeans but we also bring a small supply of shorts and tees, just in case a warm day comes along. As long as the sun is shining, the cold in Florida doesn't bother us!!

Jeff456

I've never been to WDW when it's been really cold, in February I've experienced the low 60s during the day, but nothing colder. It's cold enough where I live, I don't really want to feel cold at WDW. Also I've experienced DLP in the 10's and it really isn't nice!

graphite1326

I've never been to WDW when it's been really cold, in February I've experienced the low 60s during the day, but nothing colder. It's cold enough where I live, I don't really want to feel cold at WDW. Also I've experienced DLP in the 10's and it really isn't nice!

We are going the first week of Feb (we usually go in the fall). Generally what is the weather like then. You have a "low 60s" is that usually what it's like in Feb?

rsoxguy

Original Poster
We froze our Southern rear-ends off last January at WDW for the big freeze. How many people can say it snowed/sleeted TWICE while they were at WDW?! Well, we can. See the TR in the signature. Holiday time had already past but it was so intensely miserable that I don't see myself enjoying it ever no matter what time of year it is. Cold weather blows. I don't know how people up north live with that stuff. It's the pits. :cool:

I read that trip report when you first posted it (you have a lovely family BTW). Although I felt bad for you at the time, it is different for me. As someone who can leave the house at 6:30 in the morning and be there by the opening of a park, I am able to go to WDW more often. Consequently, it's never really a "big trip", so the weather is more of a novelty than a source of disappointment.

So I'm with you all on the cooler temps for this month to help with the Christmas mood/spirit, but here's hoping I can have my 70-80 degree weather back when we head down this upcoming March for our Spring Break again! :lookaroun

This is also my feeling on the weather. It serves to enhance the "holiday feel". Any other time, a high of 78F and an overnight low of 70F would be ideal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom