News Coco Boat Ride Coming to Disney California Adventure

mickEblu

Original Poster
I've been championing this and manifesting this attraction at DCA for a while so I thought I should create the thread. More thoughts to come but for now Great News!

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
DCA really needs a ride like this. A dark ride. A boat ride. Something with some heart. A family ride with no height requirement. Perfect for the So Cal demographic. I'm so glad it's not that Soarin 2.0 type ride that was pitched for Coco at MK. Being in the same park as Soarin probably made sure to that. So looking at the one piece of concept art and considering where this might go I don't expect more than a D ticket. I'm thinking something close to Tangled at Tokyo Springs. Hopefully a little bigger with a drop and a little thrill. I like the small boats with two rows. Makes it feel like a fantasyland dark ride but on a boat.

Anyway, I had Coco on my bingo card but didn't think the chances were very high as that would be a lot of announcements for DCA between Avengers, Avatar and this. But then they go ahead and not only mention Coco but a 4th ride for AC.

Last edited:

Homemade Imagineering

Hands down the best thing announced for DL tonight. Fits like a glove into DCA, genuine addition, & yes, just what the park needs. Avatar and Avengers will be fun but I cannot back them up thematically. Regardless this park’s been a dumpster fire nearly its entire existence and I am glad it’s getting this much attention & additional capacity. It needs it more than ever. Best outcome for this property, I feel the same for Avatar despite its unfortunate placement

Jiggsawpuzzle35

DCA really needs a ride like this. A dark ride. A boat ride. Something with some heart. Perfect for the So Cal demographic. I'm so glad it's not that Soarin 2.0 type ride that was pitched for Coco at MK. Being in the same park as Soarin probably made sure to that. So looking at the one piece of concept art and considering where this might go I don't expect more than a D ticket. I'm thinking something close to Tangled at Tokyo Springs. Hopefully a little bigger with a drop and a little thrill. I like the small boats with two rows. Makes it feel like a fantasyland dark ride but on a boat.

Anyway, I had Coco on my bingo card but didn't think the chances were very high as that would be a lot of announcements for DCA between Avengers, Avatar and this. But then they go ahead and not only mention Coco but a 4th ride for AC.
I’m guessing it’s going to be much longer and grander than Tangled. Just hope it will have a nice indoor queue and not an outdoor generic chain link queue.

etc98

I’m guessing it’s going to be much longer and grander than Tangled. Just hope it will have a nice indoor queue and not an outdoor generic chain link queue.
They did say that Imagineers were taking inspiration from Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion for this ride, so I'd hope that means it will have a much grander scale than the Tangled boat ride

mickEblu

Original Poster

That would be cool but is there space for that in Pixar Pier. But do they really have to cram this in Pixar Pier? If Avatar moves to samba they can build Santa Cecilia (or my choice a land based on Old Town San Diego) in the backlot/ bus transpo area.

captveg

They did say that Imagineers were taking inspiration from Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion for this ride, so I'd hope that means it will have a much grander scale than the Tangled boat ride
Makes sense, as the ride will likely be ideal for more slowly drifting past the scenes which should be very music performance heavy.

mickEblu

Original Poster

I took that to mean some of the effects , AA's and style but not necessarily in scale. That would be great though

Jiggsawpuzzle35

That would be cool but is there space for that in Pixar Pier. But do they really have to cram this in Pixar Pier? If Avatar moves to samba they can build Santa Cecilia (or my choice a land based on Old Town San Diego) in the backlot/ bus transpo area.
It looks like there is enough space for a show building. What I’m concerned is with the lack of space for an immersive indoor queue.

mickEblu

Original Poster
It looks like there is enough space for a show building. What I’m concerned is with the lack of space for an immersive indoor queue.

Maybe that's where Paradise Gardens and Goofy's come into play? But if that's the case then does a D ticket justify all that? On another note cant they go underground like with POTC or does Disney not do that kind of stuff in 2025?

Jiggsawpuzzle35

Maybe that's where Paradise Gardens and Goofy's come into play? But if that's the case then does a D ticket justify all that? On another note cant they go underground like with POTC or does Disney not do that kind of stuff in 2025?
Yeah I was looking at Paradise Gardens at the potential entrance. Goofy can stay. Only problem is that you lose two eateries and the other side of the parade entrance.

SplashJacket

Lots of animatronics, songs, large sets.

I’ve dreamed of seeing Coco walk across the orange flower bridges playing his guitar and looks like I’ll finally get to see it

etc98

If they use just the space of the current building behind the coaster, it's about 40,000 sqft.
If they move some roads around, they could probably get it up to maybe a little more than 70,000:

Screenshot 2024-08-11 at 2.54.48 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-08-11 at 2.54.41 AM.png

I don't know what's back there that can be moved or not moved, but this only gets rid of open space, and not any of the other backstage buildings.

For comparison, Haunted Mansion and Small World are both around 60,000 sqft, and Pirates is over 100,000. Runaway Railway is 85,000, although I think that building also includes offices, so the actual square footage of the ride might be smaller. Rise is 75,000, not including the queue.

Little Mermaid and Spider Man are both around 30,000, Winnie the Pooh is 25,000. Monster's Inc and Roger Rabbit are 20,000.

So if they used just the existing building, there's room for a C to low D ticket I'd guess. If they expanded it, you're at a high D to an E. Just based on size, not based on anything else of course

mickEblu

Original Poster
Yeah I was looking at Paradise Gardens at the potential entrance. Goofy can stay. Only problem is that you lose two eateries and the other side of the parade entrance.

Maybe they can get away just using half of that space. Leaving the half closest to Goofys with all the trees and stage untouched. But this area would be pretty far from the show building and require some Indy like tunnel to the show building.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom