Coast-to-Coast Disney 2011 Trip Report: Mme. & M. Bricker's Zany Holiday

Preface:

Welcome back to another Bricker trip report. This time, we’re telling the tale of our April/May 2011 Coast-to-Coast Walt Disney World and Disneyland trip! In these pages, we will share laughs, spin yarns, suspend disbelief, and perform miracles! Well, maybe not the last item on that list, unless you count convincing people to read this report as a miracle! Join us as we travel from Indianapolis to California to Indianapolis to Florida (and possibly back to Indianapolis!) as we share our experiences: dining in Club 33, Napa Rose, California Grill, and Flying Fish; competing in D23’s Great Disney Scavenger Hunt; conducting research; experiencing D23’s Destination D Celebration of WDW’s 40th; and, of course, taking a ridiculous amount of photos!

This trip report will be cross-posted from DisneyTouristBlog.com ("DTB"). I will most likely post updates a little earlier over there and they'll be easier to browse without comments in between my posts, so if you want to read ahead or without comments between posts, check out the DTB! If you enjoy the comments of others, read here!

In any case we hope you enjoy reading this trip report - on with the show!

Table of Contents:

Part I: From Earth to the Golden State - The Race Against the Clock to Make it to Disneyland Before Park Closing
Part II: TBD

The Cast:

Starring - Tom and Sarah Bricker, lifelong Walt Disney World fans; engaged at the Polynesian in 2007, married in 2010 and honeymooned at BoardWalk thereafter. In addition to their day jobs, Tom works for TouringPlans.com and is a photographer for the Unofficial Guide travel series, while Sarah works on their fledgling DisneyTouristBlog.com and generally keeps Tom in line and on task. They recently discovered Walt’s original park, and are now committed to exploring the other worldwide Disney parks. “2012: Tokyo or Bust!”

Guest Appearances - The Works and Work-to-be (Henry Work and his parents, and his fiancee, Kate), Nick B., J.L. Knopp, and many others!

The Trips:

Dates:
Disneyland Resort - Late April & Early May, 2011
Walt Disney World Resort - Early/Mid May, 2011

Accommodations
Desert Inn & Suites, Anaheim
The Luxurious All Star Movies Resort, Walt Disney World

Disneyland Dining

Hungry Bear Restaurant - Critter Country
Napa Rose - Grand Californian Resort
Celebration Roundup & BBQ - Frontierland
Club 33 - New Orleans Square
Rancho del Zocalo - Frontierland
Redd Rockett’s Pizza Port - Tomorrowland
Tomorrowland Terrace - Tomorrowland
Bur-r-r Bank Ice Cream - Paradise Pier
Wine Country Trattoria - Golden State
The Cove Bar - Paradise Pier

Walt Disney World Dining
Sunshine Seasons - The Land Pavilion
Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe - Tomorrowland
Sanaa - Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge (Kidani Village)
California Grill - Disney’s Contemporary Resort
Mizner's Lounge - Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Tortuga Tavern - Adventureland
Flying Fish Cafe - Disney’s BoardWalk Inn
- Disney’s Yacht Club Resort
Kringla Bakeri og Cafe - Norway
La Cantina de San Angel - Mexico
Studios Catering Company - Backlot

Exciting Links!

Disney Tourist Blog - Our personal website where we post trip reports, Disney dining reviews, Disney product reviews, special/private event reviews, and a whole host of other random Disney musings!

Tom's Blogging on TouringPlans.com - An index of Tom's weekly blog posts for TouringPlans.com; get a further glimpse into his thoughts regarding all things Disney...if you dare!

Where to Buy Sarah's Attire - If you've ever wondered where Sarah purchases her dresses and other attire (and apparently, a lot of readers have), this is the link for you!

Tom's Twitter - Don't believe the incredibly verbose Tom can limit his thoughts to 140 characters? Then check out his Twitter stream!

Tom's Flickr - Tom posts a Disney photo here at least 5 days per week. Some of them are sort of neat.

Like Tom's Photography on Facebook!
- Just in case you can't get enough of dat "social media" stuff...

Sarah's Favorite Dachshund Breeder - Sarah says we can't link to this one, because she doesn't want you all stealing the "choice" puppies. Oops, sorry!

Past Trip Reports:

Engagement Report
August 2008
November/December 2008
August 2009
October 2009
Disneymoon 2010
Christmas 2010

WDWFigment

Original Poster
yes! this is what is keeping me going on my 90 hour work week this week. and making me visit the world asap :sohappy:

90 hours?! Ouch! Glad we could help!

Great TR. Never have been to Disneyland I am welcoming some of your comments and comparisons to rides at the land vs. the World. And of course as always your photos are amazing.

The hubs and I have been debating on whether or not to take a trip out west but have always wondered if it would be worth it, or if it would leave us wanting more.

Somehow your photos are making me think we would not be.

I think this is one of the big concerns of WDW regulars contemplating a trip out to DLR: will there be enough to keep them satisfied? The answer, for us at least, is unequivocally yes. Granted, it's probably not a good candidate for a 10 day trip, but it's a perfect 5 day trip.

You will definitely be left wanting more after the trip. In a good way, though!

Loving the TR Tom! Disneyland is definitely on my agenda in the near future!

Glad you're enjoying. Obviously, we highly recommend a DLR trip!

fmingo36

This is a great trip report so far.
I am heading out to Disneyland for the 1st time at the end of August to run in the Disneyland 1/2 Marathon.
As much as I know Disney World like the back of my hand, I am a little apprehensive about the my lack of knowledge about Disneyland. I'm doing a lot of research but your trip report will definitely be beneficial to my trip planning.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
04282011096.jpg

When we exited the ride, we saw Tigger! It has only been since last summer that we last got our photos with the Pooh gang, but the line was pretty much non-existent, and we had never gotten our photos taken with the characters in Critter Country, so we figured why not.

04282011098.jpg

04282011099.jpg

04282011100.jpg

04282011101.jpg

04282011102.jpg

The little area set up for these photos worked well, and had good flow. You waited in one line, then once you met one character, you moved along immediately to the next, and so on. I believe EPCOT’s Character Spot uses a similar system, but it has been years since we’ve done that.

04282011103.jpg

04282011104.jpg

Since Splash Mountain was closed, and I wouldn’t be able to get “real” photos of it, I wanted to get some shots of the Splash Mountain area. What a beautiful and tranquil area of the park without the hectic pace of Splash Mountain crowds!

04282011105.jpg

04282011106.jpg

WDWFigment

Original Poster
04282011107.jpg

It’s a small world was up next. To give you an idea of how much we love the Disneyland version of this attraction, last August we rode it, around six times, which in retrospect was a mistake because we ended up missing things like Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, but it really is that good--and that superior to its WDW counterpart. I cannot wait to ride at Christmas. I think you won’t be able to pull us out of the place at night.

Much ado has been made about the Disney characters, and I think, for better or for worse, you’ve probably already formed an opinion on them by now. Beyond these characters, I think the number one thing that makes the attraction for us is the exterior load area and portions of the ride. The clock facade within the building just doesn’t do it at WDW, and the presence of all those gorgeous topiaries, the queue curving over the bright blue water, and the crisp white facade behind it all really set the whimsical tone for what’s to come. It’s all brilliantly executed, and much better than the “attraction court” generic facade and queue at WDW.

04282011112.jpg

It’s somewhat ironic that in WDW, where space is so plentiful, WED elected to design Fantasyland in a tight corridor with bland store-fronts for the attraction, when Disneyland, where space is not plentiful, was designed (or rather, has evolved to allow) Fantasyland (and iasw) attractions to have unique facades, and breathing room among one another. Hopefully WDI solves some of the congestion with the Fantasyland Expansion, but short of a stroller parking garage, I don’t see how they can remedy the existing traffic flow problems.

04282011108.jpg

04282011109.jpg

This is one of the big reasons I support the decision to tear down the old Skyway building. Reading the sentiment expressed in online threads livid over its removal makes me understand why Disney largely disregards the desires of fervent fans.

People seriously want old, vacant buildings that clearly are remnants of former attractions just sticking around indefinitely? That seems more than a little ridiculous to me. Did they honestly expect the Skyway to come back or something? I know the building is far from the eyesore that River Country (a WDW water park that has been slowly rotting away in the public view) is, but people seem to be clamoring for RC's removal because it no longer has a purpose and doesn't fit the area. Likewise, a Skyway building with a large opening in it, while pretty, no doubt, doesn't fit.

04282011110.jpg

04282011111.jpg

There are ways to embrace the past without having relics of it around that obstruct future progress. The Skyway buildings (are and) will be missed, no doubt, but does anyone honestly think that the best use of the limited Fantasyland real estate in this area is for an old attraction building that serves no purpose beyond that of an aesthetic reminder of days past? These changes will open up this area, allow for much needed expansion of the Peter Pan’s Flight queue, and allow for a better use of the space. Saying that the Skyway is being replaced with a bathroom, and that's disgusting, is reducing this to overly simple and misleading terms. The Skyway is being removed to allow for important infrastructure changes to Fantasyland that will allow for PPF to have a better queue, will facilitate traffic flow in this area, and will also bring newer restrooms to the area. To me, it’s a no-brainer.

After it’s a small world, I convinced Sarah that we should give the monorail try. This is another attraction we hadn’t done last trip. It was something I really wanted to do then, and it was still something I really wanted to do. I absolutely love the monorail trip through EPCOT (on the monorail trip from the TTC at WDW) so I figured this would be equally fun. Plus, those new Mark VII trains?! Phew! They are slick!

04282011114.jpg

5690498350_6e2d3741c8_z.jpg

The initial views were pretty cool. Then, and I knew we would do this since I saw the monorail pass overhead when we were on Harbor, we went over Harbor Blvd and could see all the crappy outside world from the car. All the Disneyland regulars reading this may not think twice about being pulled back from the suspended reality when they walk through the tunnel and leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy, but as primarily WDW regulars, this is huge for us. Once we begin a trip down there, we usually see very little of the real world until the end of the trip. We take it so far as to not watch the news, avoid checking email, and avoid driving a rental car.

In a pros and cons list of each coast, this is one substantial advantage WDW has over DLR. I realize that most Disneyland guests are locals coming only for a few hours on a weekend or after work, so it isn’t really practical or possible to suspend reality like this, so maybe my position on this isn’t relatable for these folks. For this reason, however, I think at least one on-property WDW vacation is necessary for all DLR fans. Just as WDW fans should not buy the ridiculous hype that Disneyland is small and doesn’t offer all of the experiences WDW does, DLR fans should not buy the ridiculous hype that WDW is a broken resort, falling apart in every conceivable location.

04282011115.jpg

Sorry, back to the monorail ride. Beyond that view of Harbor, the trip was cool. It was neat seeing inside DCA and seeing the entwined nature of all of the transportation in Tomorrowland is extremely cool. I can only imagine how cool the PeopleMover would have been out there. Although I’m sure there would need to be substantial work to bring it back to contemporary safety standards, it seems well worth it given the kinetic energy it would bring to Tomorrowland.

MillerPoppins

Your reports and photos are always so amazing Tom! I love seeing how you can make things that most of us see on a regular trip and sometimes take for granted, and make it look truly spectacular. Really impressive!

Can't wait to read the rest and see the rest of the "zaniness!" :D

BoardwalkGlenn

When we exited the ride, we saw Tigger! It has only been since last summer that we last got our photos with the Pooh gang, but the line was pretty much non-existent, and we had never gotten our photos taken with the characters in Critter Country, so we figured why not.

Critter Country looks like it would be a fun place to hang out for pictures! Very jealous right now!!!

kch4095

Will you please address the weather, what to pack, etc. for DLR? After many visits to WDW, we will be leaving for DLR in 10 days! I know we won't be battling the 95+ temperatures, but I was a little worried when I saw temperatures in the 60's for June! I noticed you were wearing shorts & short sleeves, and Sarah had on a sleeveless dress. Were you comfortable? Can't wait to read more of your report. I know we will be on a mission trying to find that bumblebee cupcake! :slurp:

Disneyfalcon

Great report as always, Tom! That infrared is really awesome. Your pictures are always amazing.

I am agreeing with your assessments of DL. The first time we road the monorail over Harbor, I was a little shocked. I was also shocked when we could see the back of Toontown from the interstate!:lol:

I too, like to be immersed in the Magic and forget the world outside. For the most part, Disneyland does that amazingly well considering it's location.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Ya 90 hours is no fun, but all the overtime is going to my trip to the world for christmas time. Now i just need to find me a camera for the trip.

Well, at least there is a carrot to chase as you work these long hours! Let me know if you need any camera suggestions.

Critter Country looks like it would be a fun place to hang out for pictures! Very jealous right now!!!

Critter Country is exactly how it looks: nice and relaxed. It's a little small, but if it were larger, I think it'd draw greater crowds. So as-is, it's pretty perfect.

Will you please address the weather, what to pack, etc. for DLR? After many visits to WDW, we will be leaving for DLR in 10 days! I know we won't be battling the 95+ temperatures, but I was a little worried when I saw temperatures in the 60's for June! I noticed you were wearing shorts & short sleeves, and Sarah had on a sleeveless dress. Were you comfortable? Can't wait to read more of your report. I know we will be on a mission trying to find that bumblebee cupcake! :slurp:

It can get somewhat chilly at night--at least it could while we were there. Maybe pack a sweatshirt and jeans just in case? I'm not really a good judge. If I'm at WDW or DLR, I'm generally going to wear shorts and a polo no matter the weather (except last Christmas at WDW--talk about FREEZING!) Otherwise, it's basically just a considerably less-humid version of WDW, weather-wise.

Great report as always, Tom! That infrared is really awesome. Your pictures are always amazing.

I am agreeing with your assessments of DL. The first time we road the monorail over Harbor, I was a little shocked. I was also shocked when we could see the back of Toontown from the interstate!:lol:

I too, like to be immersed in the Magic and forget the world outside. For the most part, Disneyland does that amazingly well considering it's location.

Glad you like the infrared.

It's tough to stay immersed in the Magic at DLR, but I think it's a minor compromise given all of the other advantages (the parks so close together, etc.).

Today, the Be Our Guest Podcast has its Second Annual 12-Hour Live Show from Noon to Midnight Eastern on Magical Mouse Radio! They will be interviewing folks from all over the Disney Community, taking calls, talking Disney, and raising money for Give Kids the World Village in Orlando, Florida! You can call in during the show by dialing 407-413-WDW5.

I will be interviewed on the show at 5 pm EST. Additionally, I'll have a print for auction in the Be Our Guest FriendFeed Chat Room once the show starts (check back here for a link later), so head in there for a special opportunity to own one of my prints and help a good cause, at the same time. It's win-win! I hope you all listen in today, and remember to bid early and bid often!

PeoplemoverTTA

Another great TR, Tom - Can't wait for the rest!

Living vicariously through you is helping assuage my DL deprivation (5 years since my last trip :cry:), but at least it's getting me excited for a trip I'm planning next spring :D

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Following our monorail ride, Sarah went to use the restroom while I snapped more photos in the area. Not to beat on a dead horse, as I already covered this at length in my last report, but that kinetic energy is desperately missing from Tomorrowland. I think the look of Tomorrowland is on the right track with the recent refurbishment of the exterior of Star Tours, but there are still plenty of those garish golds left from the Tomorrowland reboot of the late 1990s. And, for crying out loud, do something with the Orbitron. It just sits there now, lifelessly, as if it was the former site of a mad scientist’s experiments gone terribly wrong. Okay, I think that’s enough on Tomorrowland for now. I could probably fill an entire trip report with things wrong with Innoventions, alone!

The Tomorrowland Speedway is typically an attraction we avoid doing because as adults who don’t really revel the idea of driving, and also don’t really revel the idea of waiting in long lines or bland rides. From the monorail, by contrast, Autopia appeared to be mildly better, with some roadway signs and some nice landscaping to make the attraction a little more interesting. Plus, since it was a Disneyland classic, we figured we at least owed it to ourselves to try the attraction.

The posted wait was 20 minutes. Not bad, but longer than we’d ideally like to wait. Thirty minutes, a time that felt like an eternity in the sun, after waiting, we finally stepped into our vehicles.

04282011116.jpg

I will grant it this: Autopia is better than the Tomorrowland Speedway. That’s really about all I can say. Some of the scenery was pretty cool, and the drive itself was fairly scenic, considering the circumstances, which was nice. I could see it as a nice diversion on a future trip if it had a 10 minute or less wait time. I won’t go as far as to say I think it wastes valuable real estate, because, although it does have a sizable footprint, I realize not everything in the parks should be about me or my demographic. I think there is great importance in these simple ‘childhood’ attractions, and things like this and Tom Sawyer Island should exist and should continue to entertain inquisitive children for years to come.

04282011117.jpg

With the advent of smart phones and more advanced video game systems, and the permeation of both deeper into society and into the hands of children at younger and younger ages, I fear that soon attractions like these that allow free reign of the imagination may not be as popular because they’re not as compelling with children, but I really hope I’m wrong on that. Not every piece of entertainment should be produced for easy consumption or for today’s shortened attention spans. But this is a Disneyland trip report, not my soapbox for the world’s problems.

Following that, we headed over to a land with which we fell in love last trip: Mickey’s Toontown. I think there is a huge divide concerning Toontown. A lot of Disneland fundamentalists (ha, I make it sound as if it’s an extremist religious group) don’t like it because it’s not in keeping with the other themed lands, whereas frequenters of Walt Disney World love it because it’s so much better than our (now defunct) version of Toontown. So much better.

More on this later. For now, our only purpose back here was to grab FastPasses and catch the Disneyland Railroad to Main Street.

The Disneyland Railroad is another attraction we hadn’t done last time, and it’s one we rarely do at the Magic Kingdom. I find myself almost ashamed to say this, as I know the railroads are held in high esteem by so many, given their special place to Walt, but they’re one of those attractions that we always find ourselves saying, “oh, we’ll just catch the train when it’s actually at the station and we’re nearby” and we never end up in such a position.

This would actually be the first of two trips aboard the Disneyland Railroad, with the second definitely being the more special of the two. On this one we got to see a lot more of the scenery, which, I had learned after our first trip, includes dinosaurs! I love dinosaurs!!!

The trip around the park was very peaceful and largely uneventful, save for the Grand Canyon Diorama and Primeval World.

Even though I had heard about it prior to the trip, I never expected Primeval World to be so awesome. I expected it to be more like the opening portion of the diorama, a ride-through of an area filled with static dinosaurs in the style of the taxidermy regular animals. When I saw that the dinosaurs were Universe of Energy-style AAs that were battling it out, I was nothing short of impressed!

04282011118.jpg

04282011119.jpg

04282011120.jpg

After getting off at our stop on Main Street, USA, we headed for the First Aid Station, so that Sarah could get some bandages. Sarah’s feet had been hurting her from her new sandals, so these would hopefully assist with the pain. Oddly enough, a shop in Tomorrowland told her she could purchase bandages from them. We knew First Aid gave them out (and was a short walk from Tomorrowland) so we headed there.

04282011123.jpg

04282011124.jpg

Then, it was off again for Indy! While in the queue, my head spun with photo ideas. I couldn’t execute any of them at that time due to the lines, but I was hopeful that some of them would be possible later at night. After another trip to the fountain of youth in the Temple of the Forbidden Eye, we headed to the front of the park.

04282011121.jpg

04282011122.jpg

Once at the front of the park, Sarah stopped the Dapper Dans for a photo. They asked her for her name, and immediately began serenading her with a song about her. I don’t know if this is some normal ragtime tune about the name “Sarah” and I am just inept when it comes to music, but it was very cool. I fumbled with my camera trying to videotape it, and got all but about 30 seconds of the performance. It’s these little touches that make Disney, Disney and make us keep coming back.

We then left for California Adventure. We would be meeting up with Henry Work that evening for dinner at Napa Rose, and he was getting closer, so we headed over to California Adventure so that we’d be closer to the Grand Californian, which was our meeting place.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Disney California Adventure just sounds odd after hearing it as Disney’s California Adventure for so long, and given that it’s inconsistent with the other properties (Disney’s Animal Kingdom, Disney’s Polynesian Resort, etc.) in Florida. When the name first changed, I recall reading a multi-page thread on WDWMagic concerning the grammar of the new name. Most posters contended that the new name was grammatically incorrect, as “California Adventure” belongs to Disney, in which case the possessive, “Disney’s” would be necessary. However, this assumes that Disney’s intent is for California Adventure to belong to Disney. If the entire proper name is now meant to be Disney California Adventure, that is no different than my name being Thomas Brandon Bricker. It’s confusing, because the previous intent was to establish Disney’s ownership of California Adventure by attaching the “Disney” name to the park’s title, but just because that was the previous intent doesn’t mean it’s the present intent. As a stylistic matter, the new name sounds awkward, and as a practical matter it certainly seems like a waste of money to change over signage and promotional materials to the new name for no cognizable financial benefit, but perhaps there is some justifiable rationale for the change.

In any case, I’ll bet you didn’t expect grammar lessons in a trip report. Hopefully this one isn’t a snooze-fest already! Once made our way through the labyrinth of construction walls around DCA’s main entrance, we jumped through what was left of the California post-card in the entrance-way plaza. As I begin my reminiscing about California Adventure and the good ole days (go ahead and laugh out loud as I “reminisce” about my one trip to the garish California Adventure), the first thing that comes to mind is this entrance.

04282011125.jpg

I liked the CALIFORNIA letters on the promenade. I thought the mountain mosaic was gorgeous, I think the Golden Gate monorail track is a neat touch, and I really like the neon signs above the gift shops in this atmosphere. Most of all, I love the atmosphere here at night, when the neon comes alive with color, the monorail passes, and you can hear the mellow tunes of the Beach Boys. Don’t get me wrong, I think the new theming will be much more befitting of a Disney theme park, and will look much better (I’ve already seen a lot of it at the Disney-MGM Studios (or Disney’s Hollywood Studios for the youngsters reading), and it does look better!), but I will always think back to the current/slightly past entrance-way with fond memories.

04282011126.jpg

My reminiscing over, we then headed towards two of the top attractions in DCA: Monsters, Inc Mike & Sulley to the Rescue! and the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.

04282011127.jpg

0706111110.jpg

For the life of me, I cannot understand why the Monsters, Inc. dark ride is not more popular. Seriously, especially with the lack of attractions in DCA, the attraction, even with its greater capacity, should have Peter Pan’s Flight-like lines.

0706111111.jpg

0706111112.jpg

Yeah, a lot of it has been repurposed from Superstar Taxi. Yeah, it’s no Monsters Inc. Ride and Go Seek. So what? It’s a really fun family style dark ride, and it’s pretty well executed. Perhaps we’re just partial to the movie Monsters, Inc., but Sarah and I think this is a dark ride stand-out.

0706111113.jpg

0706111114.jpg

From there, we wandered a little further to the Hollywood Tower Hotel. This is an attraction I love, but far prefer at Walt Disney World. It’s not even that the attraction is that much better there (although it is), there’s just something about it. I actually couldn’t quite put my finger on it until Destination D, when Imagineer Jason Surrell described the storytelling process for the Tower of Terror beginning as you first step foot on Sunset Boulevard and see the HTH in the distance. There, it fits the theming perfectly. Sunset Blvd is, by and large, Old Hollywood.

By contrast, the Hollywood Pictures Backlot is a hodge podge. It features Aladdin the Musical alongside Monsters, Inc., with the beats elecTRONica bouncing throughout at night. Nothing about it is cohesive, and while most of the attractions are wonderful individually, they aren’t tied together especially well into the land. This seems like it has started to improve with some of the facades (I think so, at least), but the elecTRONica infrastructure all over the place is a step in the wrong direction, even if elecTRONica is wildly fun and successful. Hopefully all of this is rectified when the land becomes Hollywood Land.

0706111115.jpg

The ride itself was enjoyable, and I find myself still spotting little details (unique to the DCA version) in the queue and gift shop each time we ride. Overall, I’m not as wild about the substance of the attraction itself at DCA, nor do I like the look of the Tower as well, but it’s quite possibly my favorite attraction at Walt Disney World, and it easily ranks up there at DCA, too.

switts

Well, at least there is a carrot to chase as you work these long hours! Let me know if you need any camera suggestions.

I had already begun to think about sending you message considering all of the work ive seen of yours i assumed you know your way around a camera haha

Lexi

Sweet potato fries are marginally better for you than regular fries. However, to offer them as the only fry-like option is a bit disappointing, given that they don’t have broad appeal.

I really hope this stays in Disneyland and doesn't start happening at Disney World..I would sooo upset :(

jato4x4

Great TR as usual. We are currently trying to book a trip to the Land. Great pictures as usual, especially those IR shots.

klineski96

Hey Tom,
As usual... great trip report so far. And awesome pictures! My wife and are both reading and enjoying this trip report this week while we're at work, and it's making up both look forward to our upcoming 5 night 5 year anniversary trip to WDW even more!

I have to admit, it's largely because of your pictures that are sprinkled through these wdwmagic forums that I have really tried to learn as much as I can about my Canon DSLR camera, how to get the best and most creative pictures, and how to get better pictures at night/low light situations. (You may remember I've asked you before in some other forums about some of your pics, lenses, settings etc...) So to me, you've given me something to shoot for and some really good ideas for pictures, but to my wife it's your fault I had to go out and buy the Canon f1.8 lens! ;) But she's from Michigan and her name is also Sarah, so she's cool LOL :lol:

Speaking of that lens, after playing around with it at home for a few days, I took it on Pirates and I was able to get some really clear pictures while on the ride, something I could NEVER do with my kit lens.

Not to ramble on... but it was on that day trip that she swore she saw you and your wife from the monorail, in the moring, walking from Magic Kingdom towards the Contemporay! She saw you were wearing a red polo, and she saw Sarah wearing a big hat and a sundress... but it wasn't until she said "they were each carrying h u g e cameras" that we knew it was you guys! Small World huh?

Anyways.... thanks for always posting your pictures, they are stunning, amazing and inspriring.

And we can't wait to read the rest of the report! Take care!

Jesse

WDWFigment

Original Poster
^Sorry, don't have time to respond to the comments now (I will later, I promise!), but I did want to get another update posted.

0706111116.jpg

Next we wandered through a bug’s land. After our last trip, we realized the one attraction that we had done here was...the restroom. We figured we should probably give something else a chance, and noted the short line for Flik’s Flyers. These were fairly entertaining, relaxing, and gave a nice view of the park. They were definitely not something for which I’d wait in line 60 minutes, but for a 5 minute wait, they were worth it.

04282011128.jpg

0806111184.jpg

0806111185.jpg

As we meandered our way to the back of the Pier, we noticed everything that had changed since our last trip. Maliboomer was no more. Pizza Om Mow Mow and Burger Invasion were under the knife. The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure’s show building was pretty much complete, and was looking great. Mulholland Madness was gone and Goofy’s Sky School was making tremendous strides.

During our last visit, all of the aforementioned that are either now gone or are under the knife (and thus will be gone or known by different names) were still operational. As a bit of a theme park historian, I regret that we experienced only Pizza Om Mow Mow of that lot. The rest didn’t seem like anything special, so perhaps that’s why we passed on them, but had we known they’d be gone, we would have experienced them just for the sake of having experienced them. I really wish I would have followed Disneyland news prior to our last trip like I follow it now. However, I didn’t want to see or read too much, thus ruining the surprise of actually being surprised by the attractions the first time I experienced them. You can’t have your cake and eat it too, and in the regard that Disneyland was a wholly new experience to me when we visited, I know I made the right decision not reading more about the parks then. Had I read and seen more, the first visit wouldn’t have been the same.

Because I didn’t read more, though, I think I overly cherish Pizza Om Mow Mow, which I now jokingly describe as the “heart” of Disney California Adventure and the “greatest restaurant in California ever!” While these are obviously nothing more than sarcastic remarks, I did think Pizza Om Mow Mow’s theme was fairly neat, and its food okay, it just didn’t belong in the Victorian-themed Paradise Pier.

0706111117.jpg

Also due to the historian in me, you might read comments in which I express surprisingly positive sentiment towards things a lot of Disneyland fans might think are garish. For example, the neon signs in Sunshine Plaza. There are a few possible reasons for this: A) I am a tacky and eclectic person without much eye for style, B) I value the idea of the thing more than the thing, and since it is disappearing soon/has disappeared, I place too high of a premium on it, or C) as a photographer, I partially gauge things based on their photogenic qualities, and neon and vibrant colors are decidedly photogenic--at least for my style of photography.

That said, I really wish we could have seen circa 2001 (or even circa 2006) DCA. Personally, I think the Sun Wheel looked cooler than the Fun Wheel, I think the CALIFORNIA letters were cool, I liked the entrance plaza mural, and the Orange Stinger looked pretty cool, although I think overall the Silly Symphony Swings are probably a big improvement there. Come 2013 when the dust finally settles, I have no doubt that the park will be far superior to the park as it existed in 2007, but it still would be cool to have visited back then. Plus, it’s only human nature to long for that which no longer exists. Anyway, as we passed the former home of Pizza Om Mow Mow on the way to Toy Story Mania, I poured some Coke on the curb, in honor of my fallen homie.

04282011129.jpg

We arrived at Toy Story Mania with approximately 30 minutes until Henry would be arriving at the Grand Californian, and Toy Story Mania had a 30 minute wait. What the heck, we figured, and queued up. “Thirty Minute Wait” wasn’t even something in the vernacular for Toy Story Mania in our usual stomping grounds, so we had to avail ourselves of the opportunity!

0806111186.jpg

After we had been in line for 5 minutes, Henry messaged us indicating that he’d be leaving for the Grand Californian, a 10 minute walk from his hotel, in a couple of minutes. We debated just heading over there right then, as both of us were starving, but we resisted. The prospect of beating the other at anything was just too much.

0806111187.jpg

I am pleased to say that I won, thus making standing in line for the attraction while we were so hungry well worth it! After the ride, we headed directly to the Grand Californian, where Napa Rose was calling our name.

0706111118.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom