CMs Inside RnRC Recording Studio?

Timekeeper

Original Poster
Less than once in a blue moon, I'll see a CM inside of the G-Force recording studio; the actual recording booth pre-show room with all of the band's instruments (and the band members themselves) in it. The CM will typically be moving instruments around, without any obvious purpose, and does not acknowledge the presence of the sound engineer or the entering crowd. This is typically when the audience is loaded into the room, and then the CM leaves the room before the pre-show really "begins" with the band.

Has anyone else seen this done? Why is it so inconsistent?

Is it a role that's officially scripted into the the pre-show, or is it a role created by management to "punish" misbehaving CMs? Maybe if a CM is late for work, they are then assigned to stand in front of an audience and move a guitar from one guitar stand to another, over and over, back and forth, for an hour?

Nemo14

I remember when that used to part of the show - "Chris, get me my Les Paul" - sometimes Chris was male, sometimes female.

s8film40

Yeah there used to be someone in there all the time, but now more often than not they don't staff that position. It is in the script as a chris so male or female can play the part. The cast member usually is supposed to wave or acknowledge when asked to grab the Les Paul. In case the position is not staffed the film includes another band member then saying something like I'll get it for you.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Is it a role that's officially scripted into the the pre-show, or is it a role created by management to "punish" misbehaving CMs?

I don't think it could be seen as a punishment. Walking out certainly gives a much easier way to text and what not over loading/ops CMs.

PolynesianPrincess

I also remember when they used to have some in the studio full time. Every time I've been for awhile now they have some guy on the screen with a sweet mullet say "I'll get it for you man" They also used to have the CM at the back on the pre-show area say "How bout some backstage passes?" and then Steven Tyler says "Wait a minute I love that idea..." The CM did it once in November but other than that I haven't heard it for awhile. It works either way though (with or without the CM saying anything)

chrissyw14

I also remember when they used to have some in the studio full time. Every time I've been for awhile now they have some guy on the screen with a sweet mullet say "I'll get it for you man" They also used to have the CM at the back on the pre-show area say "How bout some backstage passes?" and then Steven Tyler says "Wait a minute I love that idea..." The CM did it once in November but other than that I haven't heard it for awhile. It works either way though (with or without the CM saying anything)

when i was there in August there was one day with the CM in the back saying "How bout some backstage passes?"

All the other days no one did that, the ride is fun either way [:

Timekeeper

Original Poster
I wonder why Disney scripted that role to begin with. It doesn't do anything to add to the show (IMO), and seems like a waste of resources. Would that CM get increased show pay?

Even if not, getting paid the same amount as the other CMs who have to come face to face with problematic guests throughout the day would be a pretty sweet gig. I know a few CMs who wouldn't mind having a protective glass barrier between themselves and guests.

I suppose that fanboy guests could still yell out "How about some backstage passes" whenever they ride.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I wonder why Disney scripted that role to begin with. It doesn't do anything to add to the show (IMO), and seems like a waste of resources. Would that CM get increased show pay?

I disagree that it doesn't add to the show, I think its a nice touch to make it more "real"

Also, sorry to mention the other park, but when MIB first opened, some of the staff, either the TM's or some of Universal Creative staff would be dressed up as MIB agents on their break, and sit in the main headquarters room (queue)

chrissyw14

idk I guess orginally they wanted to make it seem more realistic than just the screen? I mean it really doesn't matter

the other CM whose supposed to respond is just the one whose in the back to tell us to go out to the parking lot or whatever

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Less than once in a blue moon, I'll see a CM inside of the G-Force recording studio; the actual recording booth pre-show room with all of the band's instruments (and the band members themselves) in it. The CM will typically be moving instruments around, without any obvious purpose, and does not acknowledge the presence of the sound engineer or the entering crowd. This is typically when the audience is loaded into the room, and then the CM leaves the room before the pre-show really "begins" with the band.
I disagree that it doesn't add to the show, I think its a nice touch to make it more "real"

Also, sorry to mention the other park, but when MIB first opened, some of the staff, either the TM's or some of Universal Creative staff would be dressed up as MIB agents on their break, and sit in the main headquarters room (queue)
Both of these things still happen, given the resources of the day. I saw the MIB agents (two of 'em) mid-January and the R'n'RC guys (again, there were two) over Star Wars Weekends.

Timekeeper

Original Poster
Well that's exactly the point here - if it's scripted and thus intended to be part of the show by the show creators, then the lack of their presence is a sign of even more cutbacks and disregard for show quality.

Just as a fully animated yeti was intended to be a part of the everest experience...

maxairmike

I would guess that it has become a position that is now only given out as a "task," which means it is only filled by a CM when they have excess cast during a certain time frame.

Tom Morrow

Well that's exactly the point here - if it's scripted and thus intended to be part of the show by the show creators, then the lack of their presence is a sign of even more cutbacks and disregard for show quality.

Just as a fully animated yeti was intended to be a part of the everest experience...
Its not a cutback though, I think its always been more like "here's something your cast can do, if you want..."

The video has always had the mullet guy respond to the request anyway so it makes sense if no one is in the room, so the show was designed to make sense either way.

Timekeeper

Original Poster
Its not a cutback though, I think its always been more like "here's something your cast can do, if you want..."

The video has always had the mullet guy respond to the request anyway so it makes sense if no one is in the room, so the show was designed to make sense either way.

I suppose that makes sense. Just seemed a bit off to me. When it comes to Disney's standards in consistency and show quality, I'm not used to the "if you want" approach to presentation.

neoshinok

It's been years since they've staffed this the way it was designed. There once would be one CM in the 'recording booth' who responds to "Cris, can you get my les paul?", then the guy in the grey sweater comes onscreen, says "I'll get it" then walks off toward the door on the right, and another CM would come through the door dressed as the guy in the video and would get the guitar. It seemed silly they would ever keep two people on staff doing this, including one who is supposed to look like the guy in the video. o_O

MKCP 1985

Last Sunday, I was there and went twice in a row, as close to back to back as a person can do on a busy day. The first time through, a cast member in the holding area with us guests yelled out "You'll need a super stretch," before the band manager says "better make it a super stretch." The second time through, nothing.

I agree that for as long as it has been around, the interactions between cast and video have appeared to be something they can do versus something they must do. It doesn't bother me at all - I like it.

Kamikaze

Last Sunday, I was there and went twice in a row, as close to back to back as a person can do on a busy day. The first time through, a cast member in the holding area with us guests yelled out "You'll need a super stretch," before the band manager says "better make it a super stretch." The second time through, nothing.

Thats just a CM having fun with his job.

Rob562

It's been years since they've staffed this the way it was designed. There once would be one CM in the 'recording booth' who responds to "Cris, can you get my les paul?", then the guy in the grey sweater comes onscreen, says "I'll get it" then walks off toward the door on the right, and another CM would come through the door dressed as the guy in the video and would get the guitar. It seemed silly they would ever keep two people on staff doing this, including one who is supposed to look like the guy in the video. o_O

I don't think that's how it was played out originally. A mulleted CM never appeared in the studio.

"Chirs" would be in the studio, cleaning up/coiling a cable/tuning a guitar/whatever. Band member would ask for the black Les Paul. On-screen roadie would say "I'll get it for you" and walk off-screen while Chris grabbed the black Les Paul in the studio and exited out the door with it. The on-screen roadie would then reappear with the guitar, and Chris would re-enter the studio without it (or just stay outside the studio), giving the illusion that they met in the hallway and Chris handed the guitar off to the roadie.
Then between pre-show crowds the in-studio Chris would have to reset the guitar.

As for the MIB team members, I believe I'd read that it isn't a scripted part of their job, but when the animatronic budget was cut during the construction and that room remained mostly unpopulated, some ride ops started using it as their break room to flesh out the scene.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom