CM Costumes

cameraguy

Original Poster
This may seem a little odd, but I was wonder what attraction or area do the CMs have the best costumes. Not including characters.

Piebald

I don't know about the best since that is pretty subjective but I'm pretty sure the TOT costume is the most expensive one coming in at 1000$.

Depends on what you think you would want to wear....would you mind wearing PURPLE pants or a gray jumpsuit as opposed to a regular shirt with khaki or white shorts/pants?

stitch131313

For comfort, mine is probably one of the most comfortable. And All Star front desk cast members are the only one that get to wear sneakers :cool: . For looks I like Tot, Everest, PotC.

cameraguy

Original Poster
Piebald said:
I don't know about the best since that is pretty subjective but I'm pretty sure the TOT costume is the most expensive one coming in at 1000$.

Depends on what you think you would want to wear....would you mind wearing PURPLE pants or a gray jumpsuit as opposed to a regular shirt with khaki or white shorts/pants?

I didn't mean what you personally would like to wear, just what looks the best. I personallly TOT and HM are the best themed costumes.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
They may look 'neat' but all i have to say is: polyester, polyester, polyester!! ew ew ew!!

I enjoyed wearing the HM costume the best though!!

PaisleyMF

I love my costume, striped oxford shirt with lava Blue shorts (yes thats the color in the Main Gate / outdoor foods shorts and trousers).

stitch131313 said:
For comfort, mine is probably one of the most comfortable. And All Star front desk cast members are the only one that get to wear sneakers :cool: . For looks I like Tot, Everest, PotC.

Some other areas can use sneakers (stroller / wheelchair rentals, Main Gates, Tomorrowland, Casey's Corner, and others). Now i wish the let them use them white as Photopass or Main Gate like Epcot... You know how hard is to get a size 15 in Black!!!!

WDWKat26

I don't think comparing regular CM costumes and the character's "outfits" is really a good comparison here. This should probably be a non-character CM costume only thing.

My favorite outfits for CM's are the Mission: Space and TOT outfits.

Simba1

Ad/Lib (Adventureland/Liberty Square) attractions without a doubt. They each get their own unique costume... HM, PotC, Jungle, Aladdin, HoP, Riverboat - they're all different, unlike Tomorrowland or Fantasyland's costumes which are all the same. (And the HM costume is more expensive than the ToT costume...)

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I have always thought that African themed jumpsuits, parachute pants, and MuuMuu in AK have always looked the most comfy. They might not be stylish, but atleast they dont restrict movement. :lol:

I would love wearing a HM costume though. I love big fluffy dresses and a haunted one would be the best. Lol. I would hate any of the custodial costumes though. I cant stand wearing see through white pants.

About sneakers, I thought pretty much all CMs wore black or white sneakers (with the exception of some womens costumes and execs) Apparently I dont pay enough attention to CM footwear. I would be such dead meat if I couldn't wear sneakers with my costume since I rarely find a pair of comfy dress shoes. :lookaroun

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Another question since we are on the topic of costumes... (maybe one of our CM members could answer this)

Do all CM costumes come in ALL sizes? For example, I wear a larger women's size. Would I only be placed in an area where they had designated larger size costumes be made or would they be able to accomodate me in every area? It doesnt seem that it would be cost effective for them to make every size costume possible with the likelihood of someone needing uncommon sizes is small.

I tried asking this question once before on a Keys To The Kingdom tour but I really didnt get an answer.( I think the guy was afraid he would offend me or inadvertantly call me fat...lol:lol: ) I dont know why I am so fascinated with WDW costuming. Maybe it is because I want to work for the Mouse so badly and I am doing my research. :lookaroun

mousermerf

Account Suspended
That's an interesting question.. I know most areas have a range of sizes, including very small to very large, so most anyone can fit in them.

But there are some areas that I've never seen a larger CM at... I mean, they were areas that shared a CM pool with other rides/shows, but only the slimmer CMs ever worked in that particular attraction. And, those particular costumes were a tight fit even for the "Slim" folks.

LaughingGravy

This is just opinion. I've never worked for the mouse.
Regarding any large costuming issue, I would expect there are on-stage positions where there are only existing costumes between the sizes of, I'll say, A and G.

They could make size H, I or J, or even a minus A, but it would probably be cost effective to quietly put the castmember into a position where there are already existing sizes of costumes to suit them, unless there is some overriding special skill that the castmember has over anyone else for the desired position.

There are lots of other excuses to give, all valid, since it's a private company and there is no shortage of people, to have someone in one position over the other, without mentioning weight.

To say that so-and-so can't work in the Tiki Room because they don't have a costume to fit is the kind of thing that could bring a lawsuit because that's what we do in the US, right?:brick:

Better to diplomatically give another reason, I would think.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
LaughingGravy said:
This is just opinion. I've never worked for the mouse.
Regarding any large costuming issue, I would expect there are on-stage positions where there are only existing costumes between the sizes of, I'll say, A and G.

They could make size H, I or J, or even a minus A, but it would probably be cost effective to quietly put the castmember into a position where there are already existing sizes of costumes to suit them, unless there is some overriding special skill that the castmember has over anyone else for the desired position.

There are lots of other excuses to give, all valid, since it's a private company and there is no shortage of people, to have someone in one position over the other, without mentioning weight.

To say that so-and-so can't work in the Tiki Room because they don't have a costume to fit is the kind of thing that could bring a lawsuit because that's what we do in the US, right?:brick:

Better to diplomatically give another reason, I would think.

That is pretty much what I figured happened with people who aren't a "normal" size. I am guessing that CMs that are unusually short or tall also fit into this category.

And it appears, according to mousermerf's observations and mine that this is pretty much what Disney does too. There are only certain areas where you will find larger CMs. Two of the places I have noticed in particular are the CMs who direct "traffic" at Fantasmic! and multiple food service locations. Ocassionally I will see some maintenance CMs who are bigger.

Chape19714

Chester and Hester's Dinorama! Those are the coolest costumes!

Or how about the trademark Disney shade of yellow used in the parking lots?

I think Soarin' (Epcot's version) has some nice costumes. Indiana Jones at Disneyland is pretty cool also. I also like HM, ToT, Everest, One Man's Dream (Animators' Palate Anyone?), Hall of Presidents, and American Adventure.

maelstrom

tiggerific418 said:
Another question since we are on the topic of costumes... (maybe one of our CM members could answer this)

Do all CM costumes come in ALL sizes? For example, I wear a larger women's size. Would I only be placed in an area where they had designated larger size costumes be made or would they be able to accomodate me in every area? It doesnt seem that it would be cost effective for them to make every size costume possible with the likelihood of someone needing uncommon sizes is small.

I tried asking this question once before on a Keys To The Kingdom tour but I really didnt get an answer.( I think the guy was afraid he would offend me or inadvertantly call me fat...lol:lol: ) I dont know why I am so fascinated with WDW costuming. Maybe it is because I want to work for the Mouse so badly and I am doing my research. :lookaroun

I wear kids and junior sized clothes. You know those Hanes t-shirts they sell at the craft store? I wear a youth medium in those. One of my biggest worries about working at WDW: no costumes to fit me. :(

New2WDW

Talking about cost of costumes: DO the CM's have to pay for their costume or if they ruin it in the wash? Do CM's even have to wash their costume or do they change and leave it with a cleaning company?

New2-just interested!

Captain Hank

Nothing beats a teal polo shirt and kahki shorts. :)

As for the washing question above, you actually have a choice. You can either give it back to wardrobe to wash, or take it home and wash it (which is a bit more convenient). I don't believe that you have to pay for it if you happen to damage it in the course of working...washing accidents might be another story. Otherwise, you do have to pay for it if you don't return it to costuming when you leave the company.

PaisleyMF

Costumes can vary from size and all areas have a lot of size.

But if you work for example Casey's Corner (Food and Beverage) you can use the alternate costume (outdoor foods) when permited by management until costuming can get your size. This happen to me when i started. And recently with trousers in my size. (yes those fabulose Lava Blue)

cameraguy

Original Poster
The one thing I would hate to wear is the suite and jacket with the WDW logo that the managers (or I think thier managers) have to wear, they just seem so hot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom