Club Cool Closing? (FALSE RUMOR)

Did Knee

I wouldn't mind Ghirardelli, but I've been trying to get my brother to WDW for years and one thing I always wanted to do was trick him into a big gulp of Beverly. I guess I may not ever get a chance to do that....sigh....

TinkerBelle8878

With all the ice cream that's served, why bother with another ice cream parlor? There are the kiosks and the soft serve locations. The Fountainview couldn't have done that well. If it was a big money maker, they would've put Starbucks in another building. Maybe instead of Club Cool. Or just take over one of the little QS snack bars by the water where Illuminations is.

It would be a shame if another nice 'secret' freebie was taken away.

Dragonrider1227

I'll be sad if we lose the one place I can not only get free soda in Disney, but that delicious apple soda. The orange and watermelon sodas are awesome too
Last time I was there though, Beverly was out in all the fountains. I assumed they discontinued it

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Club cool (formerly ice station cool) is a giant Coca-cola store.

First, it's not unique. It's soda.

Second, it's not in the same ballpark of losing the lights of winter.

I'm guessing you aren't a soda drinker, which is fine...but to say the sodas they have there aren't unique is completely wrong. All of the flavors served there you can't find anywhere else in the parks, etc.

danv3

For the record, Club Cool had everything but the German soda (mezzo mix?) today. So I don't know that things will necessarily be changing too soon.

I'd be a little bit sad to see it go. We always like to stop in for a free drink, and I've even acquired a taste for Beverly over the years. On the other hand, the loss of Club Cool pales in comparison to all the other losses (or downgrades) WDW has suffered in the last 10 years, so I won't get too worked up over this. I'm saving my anger for Illuminations being replaced with some kind of princess nonsense (or, more likely, nothing).

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I don't care about Starbucks and the Main Street Bakery or Fountain View, but dammit will I be ed if we loose Club Cool as a result.
:happy: We all have our moments now don't we? Mine was the main street bakery.

Yep I'm with you on that. Something new in that location would be welcome. The novelty of seeing people try Beverly is long over.

OK, I can't get over the irony here. Close down a Ice Cream, Soda Shoppe to open a Coffee House, Close down a Soda place and open a Ice Cream Soda shoppe.

I really hope this is a false rumor. In the last ten years there has been a shutdown of some unique experiences at Epcot. It is so sad when you add it all up:
WoL pavillion, Tapestry of Nations parade, Lights of Winter archway, Nestle junior chef program, roping off the Viking ship, and maybe this. Glad we got to experience them when we did.
Yep, the tip of the list actually. But they didn't settle with roping the Viking Ship they flattened the sucker.
It just became a place where parents dropped and left their kids. My preschool DD got flattened up there by pre-teen. It was wickedly dangerous up there.

If they hand out samples like Ghirardelli at DTD I'm all for it.

I have never been in a Ghirardelli's that doesn't hand out chocolate square samples but this would be a massive amount of people and chocolate to give out in a park. The venue doesn't exactly lend itself nicely either to selling bags of chocolate that would melt all day long in the bag.

Gabe1

I'm guessing you aren't a soda drinker, which is fine...but to say the sodas they have there aren't unique is completely wrong. All of the flavors served there you can't find anywhere else in the parks, etc.

I tend to agree with you. The draw was all the weird offerings to taste test from around the world. It sets the tone for what is to come on the WS side. But it is just a shell of what it once was. My kids back in the day loved walking through the icy entrance on a hot day. The whole thing was a novelty. They also loved the giant Coke Can in the Studios that had a water mist spewing.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I tend to agree with you. The draw was all the weird offerings to taste test from around the world. It sets the tone for what is to come on the WS side. But it is just a shell of what it once was. My kids back in the day loved walking through the icy entrance on a hot day. The whole thing was a novelty. They also loved the giant Coke Can in the Studios that had a water mist spewing.
Yes. It's a miniature World of Coke (which is here in Atlanta, and the only other place in the US you can get a Beverly).

I wouldn't want to see it go, but in comparison to it's Big Brother, it pales.

lazyboy97o

Yes. It's a miniature World of Coke (which is here in Atlanta, and the only other place in the US you can get a Beverly).

I wouldn't want to see it go, but in comparison to it's Big Brother, it pales.
What does it say about the World of Coca-Cola that the tasting station is the most memorable part of that experience. Personally, I love the tiny little display on New Coke. :)

Gabe1

With all the ice cream that's served, why bother with another ice cream parlor? There are the kiosks and the soft serve locations. The Fountainview couldn't have done that well. If it was a big money maker, they would've put Starbucks in another building. Maybe instead of Club Cool. Or just take over one of the little QS snack bars by the water where Illuminations is.

It would be a shame if another nice 'secret' freebie was taken away.

It maybe why they pulled Fountain View knowing Ghirardelli would be coming in, a wondrous, wondrous place.
On a chilly night there is nothing more indulgent than their hot drinking chocolate. A must have every time I'm in Lincoln Park/Chicago.

And Cali is really expanding their partnership with Ghirardelli so this wouldn't surprise me. Mid September Disney announced Disney Soda Fountain to become Ghirardelli Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop with Disney Studio Store in Hollywood. Reminiscent of when Disney got in bed with McDonalds and McDonalds restaurants and stands popped up everywhere. But like everything Disney and business partnerships, they eventually all fall out of favor and are sent packing. Everyone but Coke it seems.

NiarrNDisney

That could actually be pretty neat.
I've always thought both Club Cool/Ice Station Cool were missing out on a potential retail opportunity by not selling 1 or 2-liter bottles of the foreign beverages served there.

I would totally pay $5 for a large bottle of Smart Watermelon or Fanta Colita if they would let me.

icecool.jpg

Honestly you're probably right! I have always said that the countries in WS should sell their Coca-Cola products especially Germany since I love Mezzo Mix :hungry:

BTW thanks for posting the pic I miss that version of Club Cool!

CJR

This is an interesting rumor, believable, but wouldn't we hear something a little more solid? I thought Club Cool was sponsored by Coke, so wouldn't they have to shut it down by a specific date? It wouldn't be as simple as out with the old, in with the new if that were the case unless Disney made some sort of deal with Coke to kick them out and bring Ghirardelli in.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, but it doesn't seem as simple to me. I also don't know how Starbucks would feel about it. Yes, there is more than one ice cream place at Downtown Disney, but it's not right next to Ghirardelli. This would sit right next to Starbucks. I know Starbucks does not serve ice cream, but the frappuccinos are their big seller, which could see a decrease in sales with an ice cream joint steps away.

I won't deny the possibility (and I would love it if it happened), but the location right next to Starbucks seems really interesting. It's nothing Starbucks isn't used to (how many Starbucks locations sit right next to an ice cream place?), but it may be a bit different in this case. We shall see, I suppose.

If it happens it'll make a lot of people sad and a lot of people really happy (probably more people happy than sad).

techgeek

Minor thread drift alert -- but, something has been bugging me about the Ghirardelli @ DTD lately. We love the place, and are usually there for our hot fudge fix once a month or so. The last 2 times they were serving 'dine-in' customers with plastic cups / spoons instead of the traditional 'real' glass sundae glasses and silver.

I didn't ask about it, and at first just wrote it off to a busy night or maybe the dishwasher broke... but I'm starting to wonder if this was/is a cost-cutting move, one that I would deem worthy of labeling 'declining by degrees' if true. A deluxe hot fudge sundae just isn't quite the same spooning it out of plastic. I hope I'm wrong, anyone have any recent experiences or inside word? Maybe a test to see if such a thing would go over well in a theme park setting, since an Epcot location would possibly be counter service only to meet the volume?

JerseyDad

Minor thread drift alert -- but, something has been bugging me about the Ghirardelli @ DTD lately. We love the place, and are usually there for our hot fudge fix once a month or so. The last 2 times they were serving 'dine-in' customers with plastic cups / spoons instead of the traditional 'real' glass sundae glasses and silver.

I didn't ask about it, and at first just wrote it off to a busy night or maybe the dishwasher broke... but I'm starting to wonder if this was/is a cost-cutting move, one that I would deem worthy of labeling 'declining by degrees' if true. A deluxe hot fudge sundae just isn't quite the same spooning it out of plastic. I hope I'm wrong, anyone have any recent experiences or inside word? Maybe a test to see if such a thing would go over well in a theme park setting, since an Epcot location would possibly be counter service only to meet the volume?

....no more glass, I asked the server 6 weeks ago when were pigged out for dessert after eating at Raglan Road. I too was surprised ...but they just said it was a recent change.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I think an old fashion soda counter might work with ice cream and a tie in with Ghirardelli. Actually have soda jerks etc. I think with enough going on it would be a fairly busy place?????? Unique experience with unique merchandise, hmm Disney might not go for all that uniqueness.
Yeah, and here's hoping they actually add some seating. There's your reason to have your frappuccino there instead of SRO Starbuckies.

Bairstow

....no more glass, I asked the server 6 weeks ago when were pigged out for dessert after eating at Raglan Road. I too was surprised ...but they just said it was a recent change.

Maybe they had too much of it walking out the door; people wanting to continue shopping/strolling while enjoying their ice cream.

donaldtoo

Haven't read all the other posts here, but we would miss Club Cool. So would our kiddos. Fully aware of the marketing aspect from day one when it was Ice Station Cool (which DW and myself liked better). Great must-do memories from every trip.
I would, ESPECIALLY, miss my beloved Beverly...yes, of all the non-adult beverages I've tasted, my dear Beverly is my all-time fave!!! When we go to Club Cool, I drink several samples and walk out two-fisted for the road EVERY time...!!!!! :)

techgeek

Maybe they had too much of it walking out the door; people wanting to continue shopping/strolling while enjoying their ice cream.

Well, that's a shame. To me, it's definitely not the same experience & product, and at the same premium price point erodes the value and the brand.

Maybe Disney's culture in Orlando is starting to infect other brands. Anyone west coast know if this is chain-wide or just a WDW location change?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom