Club 32 - World's Fair, Discoveryland, and Tomorrowland

kmbmw777

If you want to do the Fallout ride, I would probably put it in the Discoveryland -- I think it'd fit best there...considering we have War of the Worlds in that area as well.

Tomorrowland should be the "brighter" version of the future with Soarin' over the Cosmos, among other attractions we can come up with

And then World's Fair is also a more promising view of the future...but based on the 1964 version with Carousel of Progress, it's a small world, Ford's Magic Skyway, and maybe the Mr. Lincoln show
My main concern with placing it there is that there is already enough thrill ride E-tickets. I could make the exterior facade and preshow fit with Worlds Fair, but then how do I explain "welcome back to the pre apocalyptic worlds fair." After the ride. I'll save the idea, but it may not fit best here.

For Soarin' over the cosmos, I would like to recommend that y'all take a look at No Man's Sky. It was a boring, yet beautiful game, which could inspire us in terms of planetary descriptions.
the-10-most-beautiful-planets-people-have-found-so-far-in-no-mans-sky.jpg

tropical-planet-10.jpg

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
My main concern with placing it there is that there is already enough thrill ride E-tickets. I could make the exterior facade and preshow fit with Worlds Fair, but then how do I explain "welcome back to the pre apocalyptic worlds fair." After the ride. I'll save the idea, but it may not fit best here.

For Soarin' over the cosmos, I would like to recommend that y'all take a look at No Man's Sky. It was a boring, yet beautiful game, which could inspire us in terms of planetary descriptions.
the-10-most-beautiful-planets-people-have-found-so-far-in-no-mans-sky.jpg

tropical-planet-10.jpg
What if it was an interactive walkthrough and not an E-ticket?

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
So, just so I have the concept straight. The Tomorrowland-World's Fair-Discoveryland stretch is a sort of timeline of the future from hopeful sci-fi to desolate post-apocalyptic Earth?
From my understanding.

World's Fair is a tribute to the 1964 World's Fair -- including attractions such as it's a small world, Ford's Magic Skyway, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, and the Carousel of Progress.

Tomorrowland is the "future that never was" -- taking inspiration from the Tomorrowland 2055 refurb.

Discoveryland is up for interpretation, but overall I can't see how a post-apocalyptic Earth fits in a Magic Kingdom park. Personally, I'd rather the focus be more retro-futurism, more along the lines of the never built Discovery Bay project and also inspired by literature of the 19th and 20th centuries. If everyone wants, War of the Worlds and Fallout can be there, but I think Treasure Planet and 20K Under the Sea provide more of the "discovery" aspect to the area.

Corey

Maybe in Discoveryland they could have a new 20,000 Leagues ride with new effects as found at the ride at Tokyo DisneySea. However, instead of the small submersible, you could have ride vehicles similar to the ~60 foot long nautilus submarines that could hold 40 riders each at the Magic Kingdom. Like the California submarines, they could be electric instead of diesel powered. However, like the Tokyo DisneySea ride, never actually go in the water. This would help save on the huge maintenance costs that more or less doomed the attraction at the Magic Kingdom nearly 20 years ago. So, rather than be partially submerged in water like the old attraction, the submarines would go through a ride building made to seem like it is underwater and through double paned windows on each nautilus, air bubbles would rise between the panes of glass thereby making it seem like ballast from when you are diving or rising. The Magic Kingdom had 12 submarines unlike the California ride that has eight submarines.

Since Finding Nemo is fanciful, it doesn’t really fit in with the theme of Tomorrowland. Perhaps a ride based off of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea could be worked in for Tomorrowland. It could share many of the ride characteristics as I described earlier for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but be set in the future. It would therefore be far more advanced than what is depicted in the movie.

Now, as for rides that would involve guests somehow being miniaturized in the future, I would hope that they could reopen the Wonders of Life pavilion and its ride Body Wars. However, I’m not sure how likely that is, so they may need to develop a new attraction in Tomorrowland.

There could be a new ride in Tomorrowland either based off of an updated take on Fantastic Voyage or the movie InnerSpace. However, InnerSpace was a little too comedic for such a ride. It reminds me of Honey I Shrunk the Kids, so I think Fantastic Voyage would be better since it adheres to the seriousness of Tomorrowland:

Last edited:

D Hulk

Maybe in Discoveryland they could have a new 20,000 Leagues ride with new effects as found at the ride at Tokyo DisneySea. However, instead of the small submersible, you could have ride vehicles similar to the ~60 foot long nautilus submarines that could hold 40 riders each at the Magic Kingdom. Like the California submarines, they could be electric instead of diesel powered. However, like the Tokyo DisneySea ride, never actually go in the water. This would help save on the huge maintenance costs that more or less doomed the attraction at the Magic Kingdom nearly 20 years ago. So, rather than be partially submerged in water like the old attraction, the submarines would go through a ride building made to seem like it is underwater and through double paned windows on each nautilus, air bubbles would rise between the panes of glass thereby making it seem like ballast from when you are diving or rising. The Magic Kingdom had 12 submarines unlike the California ride that has eight submarines.

Since Finding Nemo is fanciful, it doesn’t really fit in with the theme of Tomorrowland. Perhaps a ride based off of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea could be worked in for Tomorrowland. It could share many of the ride characteristics as I described earlier for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but be set in the future. It would therefore be far more advanced than what is depicted in the movie.

Now, as for rides that would involve guests somehow being miniaturized in the future, I would hope that they could reopen the Wonders of Life pavilion and its ride Body Wars. However, I’m not sure how likely that is, so they may need to develop a new attraction in Tomorrowland.

There could be a new ride in Tomorrowland either based off of an updated take on Fantastic Voyage or the movie InnerSpace. However, InnerSpace was a little too comedic for such a ride. It reminds me of Honey I Shrunk the Kids, so I think Fantastic Voyage would be better since it adheres to the seriousness of Tomorrowland:

I agree broadly with doing a submarine ride in either Discoveryland or Tomorrowland, and I like DisneySea's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride system you've suggested. I also agree that Tomorrowland needs a shrinking-related ride, either something going into the human body like Body Wars or Fantastic Voyage, or something which explores quantum subatomic space like an updated Adventures Through Innerspace. Actually, any of these shrinking concepts could use DisneySea's dry-for-wet omnimover pods.

Perhaps the submarine attraction (whichever sub-land it goes into) could instead use a motion simulator ride system like Star Tours or DisneySea's old Storm Chaser. (I suggest this since I assume Star Wars won't be appearing in our idealized futurist Tomorrowland.) Imagine a futuristic underwater "flight sim" with branching storylines and in-cabin effects where the sub seems to be leaking (water sprays). This ride's aesthetic specifics, I leave to other Imagineers.

@spacemt354, World's Fair seems pretty well completed with versions of Disney's original 1964 attractions. Is it advisable to take inspiration from other aspects of the 1964 World's Fair as well? Specifically, could we do a new variation on GE's Futurama dark ride? (This was actually the Fair's most popular attraction, eclipsing runner-up It's a Small World.)

Though not originally Disney, this ride is very much the precursor to Horizons with a realistic look at Man's near future. Or is it too close in concept to Carousel of Progress, and is its ride system too redundant with Ford's Magic Skyway?

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I agree broadly with doing a submarine ride in either Discoveryland or Tomorrowland, and I like DisneySea's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride system you've suggested. I also agree that Tomorrowland needs a shrinking-related ride, either something going into the human body like Body Wars or Fantastic Voyage, or something which explores quantum subatomic space like an updated Adventures Through Innerspace. Actually, any of these shrinking concepts could use DisneySea's dry-for-wet omnimover pods.

Perhaps the submarine attraction (whichever sub-land it goes into) could instead use a motion simulator ride system like Star Tours or DisneySea's old Storm Chaser. (I suggest this since I assume Star Wars won't be appearing in our idealized futurist Tomorrowland.) Imagine a futuristic underwater "flight sim" with branching storylines and in-cabin effects where the sub seems to be leaking (water sprays). This ride's aesthetic specifics, I leave to other Imagineers.

@spacemt354, World's Fair seems pretty well completed with versions of Disney's original 1964 attractions. Is it advisable to take inspiration from other aspects of the 1964 World's Fair as well? Specifically, could we do a new variation on GE's Futurama dark ride? (This was actually the Fair's most popular attraction, eclipsing runner-up It's a Small World.)

Though not originally Disney, this ride is very much the precursor to Horizons with a realistic look at Man's near future. Or is it too close in concept to Carousel of Progress, and is its ride system too redundant with Ford's Magic Skyway?

That sounds great for Worlds Fair...i didnt even think of that.

Im picturing this land as almost a "mini-Epcot" in a way. Could be very cool with this addition

Corey

Great idea for submarine rides that use simulators. I actually had a similar idea back in 2013 to have a ride at Animal Kingdom that was based off of the movie The Abyss. I was hoping at the time to replace Avatar Land (Pandora) with other James Cameron films' such as The Abyss and Aliens. However, that ship has sailed apparently, or perhaps unfortunately if it ends up mediocre. Here is that post:

"Written by thomas998"
An Aliens theme park would certainly get my interest. But I really don't see it as being something Disney would bring to any of their parks. Aliens would be too teen and adult oriented and the one constant in Disney is the slant towards the younger audiences... The only hope would be that if they don't royally screw up the purchase of Marvel and it starts to bring in the boys that they might then think that maybe, just maybe they can expand their empire to teens and adults too.

As for Abyss, I'm not sure what underwater ride could be pulled in that wouldn't just be some lame rehash of the old 20,000 leagues under the sea ride that has now been bastardized into the Disneyland Finding Nemo ride... I shudder to think of them somehow making Abyss into a ride.

Hello thomas998,

I certainly understand your position concerning Disney's likely hesitancy when it comes to developing a land in one of their parks around the Alien franchise. That is perhaps why I feel that Tomorrowland at the Magic Kingdom should remain an optimistic portrayal of humanity in the future. With that said, that doesn't mean that Animal Kingdom or another park couldn't have a more pessimistic take on humanity's encounter with an alien species. In terms of an Aliens themed land, they would of course first have to secure the rights from Twentieth Century Fox. Beyond that, the rides and attractions would certainly be geared around an older audience. Nevertheless, this is not unheard of when it comes to Disney. In fact, Ripley and the alien creature from the first Alien movie is seen (or at least used to be seen, assuming it has been removed) in the Great Movie Ride in Hollywood Studios. Beyond that, some of the attractions at the various Disney themeparks are targeted for different audiences. While the younger crowd tends to gravitate towards Future World at Epcot, the older (let's say more seasoned) crowd tends to gravitate towards World Showcase. If somehow families can work out their divergent interests in Epcot, perhaps something similar could occur in Animal Kingdom. Beyond that, if there is some age requirement established because of the nature of an Aliens themed land, they still could allow for a parental supervision exemption if a younger guest (not meeting the age requirement) wants to ride one of the Aliens attractions.

Now, as for the Abyss submersible ride, I can certainly understand your hesitancy about a 20,000 Leagues ride or what is worse, a Finding Nemo ride. What I had in mind would be more of the chase scene that happens later in the movie between Ed Harris' character, his wife, and the Navy Seal suffering from nitrogen narcosis and a fear of the NTI's (played by Michael Biehn). Rather than a real submersible, they could have a simulator ride (kind of reminiscent of Star Tours, though only seating about 4 riders) where guests ride in a submersible trying to get the nuclear warhead (MIRV) from Biehn's character in another submersible. They could ram each other and get possession of the warhead before being chased through an underwater canyon and around the remains of the sunken drill rig from the movie. Ultimately, the ride would have to conclude differently from the movie, since the submersible in the film floods. Perhaps the other submersible piloted by Biehn's character could still drift down the chasm and implode or perhaps an impact by the other submersible could rupture one of the oxygen tanks on Biehn's subermisible forcing him to surface. Either way, the vehicle that park guests ride in could return to the underwater platform and guests could disembark. I think that such a ride would be considerably more thrilling than another 20,000 Leagues adventure ride. Perhaps the above explantion helps clear up any confusion, since I certainly wouldn't want a Finding Nemo ride either.

Corey, Apr 15, 2013

Last edited:

Corey

This is going to be part of a new Magic Kingdom, for reference to the basic layout here's a sketch:)
33090186763_f984a2b4e2_b.jpg

Could the "Land Unknown" be a "New Orleans Square" or possibly my idea of a "Port Royal" pirate town. In that way you could do something about as extensive as what Shanghai Disneyland is doing with Pirates of the Caribbean. You might also have a Liberty Square with a Legend of Sleepy Hollow attraction similar to the Haunted Mansion in the way the ride functions. Though modern omnimovers might work even better.

Also, if Disney secures the rights to The Lord of the Rings, could one of Mordor's Towers from The Two Towers stand in as the castle for Villains Land. Lord of the Rings could be part of the attractions for Villains Land, but not the exclusive franchise property for that land (unlike Star Wars Land, Cars Land, Toy Story Land, Pandora, etc. where the land only deals with that film franchise). This would be kind of like how Sleeping Beauty Castle and Cinderella Castle don't necessarily mean that only attractions from Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella are found in Fantasyland.

Last edited:

Suchomimus

Also, if Disney secures the rights to The Lord of the Rings, could one of Mordor's Towers from The Two Towers stand in as the castle for Villains Land. Lord of the Rings could be part of the attractions for Villains Land, but not the exclusive franchise property for that land (unlike Star Wars Land, Cars Land, Toy Story Land, Pandora, etc. where the land only deals with that film franchise). This would be kind of like how Sleeping Beauty Castle and Cinderella Castle don't necessarily mean that only attractions from Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella are found in Fantasyland.

Corey

Yeah, Lord of the Rings is probably deserving of its own land somewhere in one of the parks. It would probably be hard to take serious if you have Mordor intermixed with Ursula, Cruella, Captain Hook, and other villains from Disney films. I was just trying to think of an appropriate castle (landmark) for Villains Land.

Corey

I suppose you could go really dark like Vlad Dracul's castle Castle Bran in modern-day Romania. He's better known as the inspiration for Dracula. I'm not sure you could get any darker for Disney. However, this probably wouldn't sit well with guests since the guy was barbaric by modern standards. However, the infamy of his actual acts are kind of colored by Bram Stoker's dracula novel and subsequent takes on it over the years. Here are pictures of the castle from the official website. You have to click on the link that takes you to their photo gallery page:

http://www.bran-castle.com/gallery-castle.html

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom