Club 32 Lounge

FigmentPigments

84d397b0ff69501deefcf052a6c94728_vader-lack-of-faith-meme-memesuper-darth-vader-disturbing-meme_650-520.jpeg

Couldn't help it. Sorry
Haha..I missed things like this while I was away. Thanks @S.P.E.W :happy:

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
We could possibly start by listing all the IPs various contributors have suggested which haven't managed to make it into Sydney Disneyland, and have little place there in later phases. Star Wars is an obvious example. So are classic attractions we've neglected so far for whatever reason, like Haunted Mansion. (My bad there, sorry!). And list all other topics we like. (Or we could instead list neglected ride types at our resort, and reverse engineer from there.)

With that list, what mega-theme covers all of them? Maybe something as broad as movies, or the continents. Maybe something else with the mythic quality of "sea." I have no Earth-shattering new theme ideas right now (DisneyFire?!?!), partly because I think macro-themes are the dang hardest thing to do maybe in Imagineering! But it's a start...
Yep this is exactly what I did.

I made a long list of both the various IPs that I wanted to include, and the various themed environments that I thought were missing from the resort and should be represented. This was a huge list of both.

Then I stared at that list for a long time to brainstorm relationships to somehow find a park theme and organization. And then that concept for a theme further refined the original list of IPs and locations into a new more condensed list that could become a single logical park.

There's a balance point in the design process between the IPs defining the park and the park defining the IPs. Think at it coming from both at once to hit the sweet spot. It takes time, but having a plan is worth it.

Also, now that I see you are all starting up brainstorming for a next gate, I want to drop in a couple personal strategies I think about when I come up with a park concept. These ideas were less applicable to a Disneyland style park, but now I think they could help. Both are from longer blog posts I wrote last year that I'll link.

1. Parks have a theme and parks have an organization and they are two completely different things. The theme of a park is usually the simple, one phrase description, often a category, the organization is how the category is presented. You can use the difference to your advantage. http://imagineerland.blogspot.com/2016/07/the-meaning-of-disneyland.html

2. Use IPs to benefit and strengthen a land, not to contradict it. My 3 rules for if an IP works in a land: is it popular enough to be worth the massive investment to build, does it match the physical setting of the land, and does it match the character and meaning of the land. If you don't get all three, its going to stick out, and inevitebly break down the theme that you try so hard to create. http://imagineerland.blogspot.com/2016/07/my-rules-for-ips-in-theme-parks-or-why.html

And last point. A bunch of comments have suggested a SEA meets Animal Kingdom meets Disney Sea Park. Uh. Here you go. ;)http://imagineerland.blogspot.com/2017/02/disneylands-third-gate-disneys-worlds.html
Go figure that I fall asleep and forget to share my idea :banghead:.
The park I came up with shall be known as Disney's Pangaea (tentative name, but I like it).
Picture a world in which the continents never divided, nor did the sea, Sky, or cosmos. That's what Disney's Pangaea is. It is a united World where neither the continents, nor the people are divided, but united in the adventures that they have.
The park would start by guests traveling back in time to the Dinosaur age. S.E.A. tasks guests with an important challenge, to stop the continents from ever separating. This task may be carried out by some active guests in the ride "Countdown to Continental Drift". Others may just want to be more passive and skip to the park. The centrepiece would be a giant It's a Small World palace, in a location called international plaza. I liked figments idea where the centrepiece could be a S.E.A. discovery centre, so maybe we combine the ideas and alter small world in some way.
As for the lands:
Bigger lands include...
-Europe
-North America
-Asia
Smaller Lands Include...
-South America
-Africa
-Australia
-Antarctica
For these, think Disney IP combined with real world culture.
But those are just the continents. There will also be Lands based on sea, the Galaxy, and maybe even sky. The sea would have stuff like Nemo, 20k Leagues, Atlantis, Mermaid,etc. The Galaxy would have stuff like Star Wars, Guardians, and maybe some vintage futuristic Tomorrowland stuff (like space base delta).
The park would have a circular design.
Here's a different idea for the second gate:
Disney's Infinity
Some backstory first in which I will borrow from Brer Oswald and using inspiration from Doctor Who

What if everything in time and space and every single multiverse happened at once?
A S.E.A. Member theorized this possibility and in a grand adventure showcased in the center land turned our world into it

The different lands in this park couldfeature heavily fantasized modern cities.

A futuristic Paris. London but all the buildings look Medieval. The Amazon is conquered by the Roman Empire. Washington DC but apocalyptic. Etc.

d2.jpg

wed3.jpg
With Figment back and Imagineerland working on the map for the first park -- I figured this would be a good opportunity to kick back up the talks for the 2nd park.

I quoted some of the main points of interest above but to summarize it more concisely...the directions we seem to be heading in are.

Disney's Pangaea - a World Atlas park park set in another dimension
Disney's Infinity - basically an alternate history park.

and among the main goals would be a sort of fusion between Disney's Animal Kingdom and Tokyo DisneySEA. But we can talk about it as we go!

kmbmw777

With Figment back and Imagineerland working on the map for the first park -- I figured this would be a good opportunity to kick back up the talks for the 2nd park.

I quoted some of the main points of interest above but to summarize it more concisely...the directions we seem to be heading in are.

and among the main goals would be a sort of fusion between Disney's Animal Kingdom and Tokyo DisneySEA. But we can talk about it as we go!
I'm biased but I endorse the Infinity ;)

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster

And among the main goals would be a sort of fusion between Disney's Animal Kingdom and Tokyo DisneySEA. But we can talk about it as we go!
Here goes the tagging rodeo again to keep everyone up to speed:p

@StevenU @rawisericho @Voxel

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster

@Poe Dameron @CraniumCommand89 @DlpPhantom

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster

@JackWatkinson @Disney Dad 3000 @Brer Oswald

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster

@S.P.E.W @DisneyManOne @tmthomas52

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster

@Magic Feather @MANEATINGWREATH @TheOriginalTiki

FigmentPigments

Hmmm...these are some really great ideas! I'm partial to the Pangaea one myself. My main concern with Infinity would be could we get the idea of what this park is and what each land/area represents if it's too strange and how would some of the IPs we would want to use fit? On the surface, it seems like Infinity allows for more free movement where Pangaea would have a foothold in familiarity. Maybe we should take @D Hindley suggestions and see what IPs and/or original concepts we would like to incorporate and see which of the two park ideas the most would best fall into. Thoughts? Sorry if I'm rehashing previous comments. I'm a little behind. ;)

Suchomimus

I'm going for Pangea really in the hopes of having a mythological zone like Beastly Kingdom was supposed to be.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster

I'll keep tagging some who may be interested in brainstorming some ideas with us for this theme park -- and of course anyone is more than welcome to contribute their ideas as well!:)
@El_Tomato @uncle jimmy @Corey

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster

I'll keep tagging some who may be interested in brainstorming some ideas with us for this theme park -- and of course anyone is more than welcome to contribute their ideas as well!:)
@MisterPenguin @GrandCanyonConcourse @Princess Leia

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster

@HMF @Doodlyday @Mike S

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster

@GrumpyFan @Chef Mickey @KentB3

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom