Closing of Tower of Terror (WDW)

Biff215

There is no current plan to re-theme DHS's ToT. Bob Chapek was asked if it was getting the GotG retheme and he said no.

This doesn't mean some other IP can't go there at some point, or Bob's successor changes things... but it does mean one shouldn't expect a re-theme for a few years at least, if ever.
The potential success of the DCA version does concern me for our ToT. Hopefully the major differences in design will prevent that. It makes me wonder if WDW was ever really considered an option. Not that it's impossible, but it would hardly be as simple as retheming both at the same time. Or perhaps it's saving grace was the pure lack of DHS attractions, especially when GMR appears to be on the chopping block.

GotG looks like a fun ride, but I'd still argue that the visual intrusion and thematic confusion damages that park more than it's worth. Now it would be best to go full on Marvel for that section and eliminate any Hollywood references, and you might as well rename the park while you're at it. This is exactly why I hope it never happens in WDW, the damage to what's good about DHS would be catastrohic.

barkerbird

The potential success of the DCA version does concern me for our ToT. Hopefully the major differences in design will prevent that. It makes me wonder if WDW was ever really considered an option. Not that it's impossible, but it would hardly be as simple as retheming both at the same time. Or perhaps it's saving grace was the pure lack of DHS attractions, especially when GMR appears to be on the chopping block.

GotG looks like a fun ride, but I'd still argue that the visual intrusion and thematic confusion damages that park more than it's worth. Now it would be best to go full on Marvel for that section and eliminate any Hollywood references, and you might as well rename the park while you're at it. This is exactly why I hope it never happens in WDW, the damage to what's good about DHS would be catastrohic.

This. I couldn't agree more. That's why I hope (and I don't think it will happen, but lately anything is potentially on the chopping block) this doesn't happen at WDW. I can't imagine how everything will tie together in a cohesive way.

Phil12

Most of the land immediately to the north of the Epcot parking lots is deemed 'Unsuitable' for development, according to the RCID 2020 Comprehensive Plan. It has also been designated for 'Conservation'.

The Florida law that created the RCID (Reedy Creek Improvement District) falls under Title XXI, CHAPTER 298 DRAINAGE AND WATER CONTROL and the Supreme Court of Florida has ruled that the RCID is exempt from all state land use regulation laws “now or hereafter enacted”. Also the Attorney General of Florida issued an opinion on May 16, 1977 stating that RCID land is also exempt from any state requirements for developments of regional impact. http://www.myfloridalegal.com/ago.nsf/Opinions/6938EF8723B3F34E8525659800681CEA

The bottom line is that the RCID can change their land classifications at any time as they have done many times in the past. Land that they now have listed as “conservation” can be changed to land for development at their whim. However, they must work in cooperation with federal authorities (such as the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service) to make sure they do not violate federal law.

AEfx

The interesting thing is that it would be impossible to bring Mission: BREAKOUT! over to DHS without some major rethinking of the concept. Mission: BREAKOUT! takes advantage of the fact that the hallway and mirror scenes were in the drop shaft, and you are now basically dropping past them the entire ride. However, in the original the hallway scene is in a different shaft, and there are no "show scenes" in the drop shafts aside from the opening doors.

That would just mean a WDW version would be even better, because there is more to work with. The room at the top could actually be something really cool (imo, it's the weakest part of the entire ToT attraction). The DCA version already is built modularly - it's semi-random, like Star Tours. Just plug in a couple extra sequences and mix and match. Don't forget, during the development (at least some of the time) it was indeed designed to be able to go into both parks.

AEfx

Dinosaur and Indy are exactly the same track and ride vehicle, by the way.

Which is really an academic footnote more than anything else. No one who doesn't have to count every tile every time they enter a bathroom would actually notice it, because they are such different ride experiences. I know people have claimed in the past they knew without being told, but if that's true, they are 1:billion.

AEfx

Wow was not expecting this kind of review for the ride in California...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-attraction-delivers-rockin-epic-ride-1007998

It's really impressive. While the project itself clearly isn't up to Pandora level, I think the Rocket Raccoon AA is actually more impressive than the Navi on the boat ride. While I understand the technical wizardry that goes into the Navi with the fluid waving arms, Rocket is just so much fun to watch and feels more "real". I'm not even a huge GoG fan (seen the first film once it came out on Blu-ray, I'll see the second when that one does) but just seeing him alone is worth standing in line.

TP2000

Kman101

The ride has been receiving universally rave reviews from all types of media.

It appears to be a huge hit with audiences across broad demographics. I just rode twice this morning and was extremely impressed. Disneyland Resort has another successful E Ticket in its roster!

It was never really going to fail as being an entertaining and well done re-skin of a ride that wasn't quite as popular (due to the vast amount of things to do) as it's Florida counterpart (as much as some wanted it to fail). I've always felt the ride would be well done and a hit (I don't care for the exterior but nothing I can do about it lol). I'm looking forward to riding it at some point this year when I can get my butt back out to California.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
The ride has been receiving universally rave reviews from all types of media.

It appears to be a huge hit with audiences across broad demographics. I just rode twice this morning and was extremely impressed. Disneyland Resort has another successful E Ticket in its roster!
These positive reviews could be what changes ToT in the minds of many people. Also add how a new land (such as pandora) is bringing in the crowds of people, with the normal new ride opening wait times of 4 hours.

So will they wait to start the overlay after Toy Story Playland opens in 2018? That might give them enough time before SWL opens to change RnR and ToT... Personally I'd like to see a Dr. Strange overlay for Tower and Guardians in RnR and then add another ride of two.

HMF

These positive reviews could be what changes ToT in the minds of many people. Also add how a new land (such as pandora) is bringing in the crowds of people, with the normal new ride opening wait times of 4 hours.

So will they wait to start the overlay after Toy Story Playland opens in 2018? That might give them enough time before SWL opens to change RnR and ToT... Personally I'd like to see a Dr. Strange overlay for Tower and Guardians in RnR and then add another ride of two.
You would have to find a way to remove my skeleton which will be chained to the Tower.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
You would have to find a way to remove my skeleton which will be chained to the Tower.
Same could be said for what ever ride a Guardians ride takes over if it happens to go in MK or Epcot... I'd rather have a land of super hero's than one in Epcot and then one in MK.

Would be great if Disney would add rides rather than just replace or overlay! DHS sure needs more rides added.

Tom Morrow

It's perfect as is. I'm sure it's due for some downtime and love though.
The 5th dimension scene could be so much more though, especially with today's technology. What we have now is literally funhouse smoke and mirrors stuff, minus the smoke (that was supposed to be there). It does nothing to expand on the story of the Hollywood Tower Hotel, it's literally just "hey these are the things from the opening sequence!"

Imagine if, instead, it was the Tip Top Club? An elaborate set that starts out dark and abandoned, illuminates and creepily "comes to life" as you are mysteriously pulled through it... suddenly lighting crashes in a window outside and everything goes dark again, opening up a starfield portal that sends you to repeat the same fate as the ill-fated passengers... (Hey Disney, if you're reading this, I have this whole concept written out in detail and would love to share!)

There are also almost no special effects at all during the drop sequence other than sound effects.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom