Closing of Tower of Terror (WDW)

Kman101

The 5th dimension scene could be so much more though, especially with today's technology. What we have now is literally funhouse smoke and mirrors stuff, minus the smoke (that was supposed to be there). It does nothing to expand on the story of the Hollywood Tower Hotel, it's literally just "hey these are the things from the opening sequence!"

Imagine if, instead, it was the Tip Top Club? An elaborate set that starts out dark and abandoned, illuminates and creepily "comes to life" as you are mysteriously pulled through it... suddenly lighting crashes in a window outside and everything goes dark again, opening up a starfield portal that sends you to repeat the same fate as the ill-fated passengers... (Hey Disney, if you're reading this, I have this whole concept written out in detail and would love to share!)

There are also almost no special effects at all during the drop sequence other than sound effects.

Good ideas. Updates if done right would be very welcome.

AEfx

It was never really going to fail as being an entertaining and well done re-skin of a ride that wasn't quite as popular (due to the vast amount of things to do) as it's Florida counterpart (as much as some wanted it to fail). I've always felt the ride would be well done and a hit (I don't care for the exterior but nothing I can do about it lol). I'm looking forward to riding it at some point this year when I can get my butt back out to California.

It really is well-done. I'm not even a huge GoG fan (I didn't see the first one until it came out on Blu-ray, I won't see the second one until then, either), but it's just too charming. While of course the scope of Pandora cannot be directly compared, I have to say, it's funny, but for a "reskin" some of the individual elements are more effective for me than some of their counterparts (Navi Shaman vs. Rocket, comparing the Flight queue to the GoG queue, etc.).

HMF

I stand corrected.
I had to be there for the 60th and it was perfect timing too as the Rivers of America were still operating then and of course the Tower of Terror loomed over Buena Vista Street. Had I not never been to Disneyland (My first visit was in 2006) I probably would have been to WDW more frequently in the last decade because I likely wouldn't know any better but I will likely be back at WDW again before I am at Disneyland again though I will probably be in DLP before that. The fact that I have not been to WDW in a decade is a combination of circumstance, disillusionment and personal issues. It wasn't by design.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Since the ToT is visible from the Morraco Land in Epcot, and it is painted to match and fit into the skyline, wouldn't that require a huge facade buildup to cover the futuristic tower from Epcot View?
They can keep the same tower if they play the "hidden base of the collector" instead of "the collector display by TIVAN" of california's..

Cesar R M

The ride has been receiving universally rave reviews from all types of media.

It appears to be a huge hit with audiences across broad demographics. I just rode twice this morning and was extremely impressed. Disneyland Resort has another successful E Ticket in its roster!
I wonder, where these reviewers told to "write good reviews or be vetoed from any other disney events" just like there are rumors of those floating for Pandora?

HMF

I wonder, where these reviewers told to "write good reviews or be vetoed from any other disney events" just like there are rumors of those floating for Pandora?
Most likely, otherwise I would think they should be in a PR field rather than objective journalism.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The Florida law that created the RCID (Reedy Creek Improvement District) falls under Title XXI, CHAPTER 298 DRAINAGE AND WATER CONTROL and the Supreme Court of Florida has ruled that the RCID is exempt from all state land use regulation laws “now or hereafter enacted”. Also the Attorney General of Florida issued an opinion on May 16, 1977 stating that RCID land is also exempt from any state requirements for developments of regional impact. http://www.myfloridalegal.com/ago.nsf/Opinions/6938EF8723B3F34E8525659800681CEA

The bottom line is that the RCID can change their land classifications at any time as they have done many times in the past. Land that they now have listed as “conservation” can be changed to land for development at their whim. However, they must work in cooperation with federal authorities (such as the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service) to make sure they do not violate federal law.

Yep, they recently did this with the land between the DHS entrance road and Victory Way.

c-one

There are also almost no special effects at all during the drop sequence other than sound effects.

In fairness, there used to be blacklit sculptures of the ghosts and strobe-backlight panels of lightning in the drop tower part, but they were kind of stupid and I don't think they're there anymore? Basically pure darkness would be better.

on another note -- I think what bothers me most about the Guardians tower, besides how ugly it is, is that the "Collector's fortress" or whatever is not an iconic thing. If you're gonna build a huge and highly visible structure that wrecks visual themeing, it's one thing to do so for, say, the Hogwarts castle. But saying "uhh yeah Tivan kept his things in a 200-foot tall box that got dropped here" isn't really working for me, and for that reason i think it's too incongruous to work as a weenie.

barkerbird

In fairness, there used to be blacklit sculptures of the ghosts and strobe-backlight panels of lightning in the drop tower part, but they were kind of stupid and I don't think they're there anymore? Basically pure darkness would be better.

on another note -- I think what bothers me most about the Guardians tower, besides how ugly it is, is that the "Collector's fortress" or whatever is not an iconic thing. If you're gonna build a huge and highly visible structure that wrecks visual themeing, it's one thing to do so for, say, the Hogwarts castle. But saying "uhh yeah Tivan kept his things in a 200-foot tall box that got dropped here" isn't really working for me, and for that reason i think it's too incongruous to work as a weenie.

Never thought I'd say this, but is it time to bring the Sorcerer's Hat back? :p

Nickels5

You certainly wouldn't bite the hand that feeds. As I wouldn't.
Or maybe they are honest people who wrote a review based on how they actually liked the ride? Why does every good thing Disney does need to met with such contempt, I am sure if they didn't enjoy the ride they would have said so.

Goofyernmost

Really, even if it was thought that if they didn't write a good review they wouldn't be asked back. So what! Go find some real news to report. These things are not considered hit or miss by Disney, the events are considered advertising. They pay a lot out to get that advertising and they expect positive things in return. It is a classic example of "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all", type of system. It is private enterprise, it is not transparent (allegedly) government activity. However, with that said, perhaps it is a legitimate good review. I saw the You Tube shows on Pandora and I think it looks great and very unique. What more do or should we really expect from a Theme Park. Just because they might have said something good doesn't mean it was forced... consider that it might actually be good.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Rear projection screen, fibre optics (when they all work), strobe lighting on the VVC, mannequins strobe lit (when they work and minus the light leaks), air canons (when they work), multi programmed Horton doors, 16 channel audio...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom