Closing of Tower of Terror (WDW)

Fable McCloud

I'm just wondering if the ToT is staying the Hollywood Tower Hotel or Twilight Zone Tower of Terror until the End of the year. Or is the re-theming going to happen?

plutoismyhero

Apart from the 1000s of acres that are deemed unsuitable for building on.
So this makes me curious as im guessing this has already been covered but I will still ask. Where on current property can they actually build and what has been deemed unsuitable to build? Just curious as I was having this talk with someone the other day and I was not sure

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'd imagine if the building would sink. But I'm not a builder.

The RCID Comprehansive plan illustrates what's not suitable.

We have a problem with some of the soil here in Florida. Several major buildings in my town have experienced sinking issues when under construction...as in support columns sinking 6 or more feet overnight. One of the buildings at the university I attended started sliding (slowly though, as in geologic time slowly) down the small hill it's on within 6 months of completion. So the revolve on stage was basically useless after a few years.

Geologists attribute the unstable soil to a mixture of the karst and clay soil in Florida. And that limestone substructure is the major reason we are the land of sinkholes. Between groundwater seaping back into the aquifers (the acidity of runoff dissolving the limestone) and the pumping of water from aquifers faster than it can be replenished (technically called recharged - yeah, South Florida, I'm looking at you), we have a major sinkhole problem. And the most unstable part of the state is, you guessed it, Central Florida....

So, yes, between wetlands conservation, whatever restrictions are in the Orange County Comprehensive Plan and what SFWMD imposes, not all of the 27,000 acres and whatever beyond that Disney may own, is developable. It would be ideal for Disney if the approximately 1/3 of the acreage purchased in 1966 that was set aside was wetlands and other land that due to structural issues was unbuildable, but that's probably not the case. Since our drinking water in Florida comes from groundwater via aquifers (there are several) and springs, we really don't want to build on every single square inch of land, or we impact the recharging of the aquifers and the natural filtering properties of the karst. Yeah, South Florida, now I'm REALLY looking at you - keep your hands off our water in North Florida. Sorry, that's a water thing issue only Floridians will understand.

Sorry for the long geology lesson - a decade at DEP does on occasion rear its ugly head... :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So this makes me curious as im guessing this has already been covered but I will still ask. Where on current property can they actually build and what has been deemed unsuitable to build? Just curious as I was having this talk with someone the other day and I was not sure
Google (or look on these forums) for the RCID Map I mentioned about.

LAKid53

Premium Member

You'd have to look at the Comp Plan to determine that.

montyz81

We have a problem with some of the soil here in Florida. Several major buildings in my town have experienced sinking issues when under construction...as in support columns sinking 6 or more feet overnight. One of the buildings at the university I attended started sliding (slowly though, as in geologic time slowly) down the small hill it's on within 6 months of completion. So the revolve on stage was basically useless after a few years.

Geologists attribute the unstable soil to a mixture of the karst and clay soil in Florida. And that limestone substructure is the major reason we are the land of sinkholes. Between groundwater seaping back into the aquifers (the acidity of runoff dissolving the limestone) and the pumping of water from aquifers faster than it can be replenished (technically called recharged - yeah, South Florida, I'm looking at you), we have a major sinkhole problem. And the most unstable part of the state is, you guessed it, Central Florida....

So, yes, between wetlands conservation, whatever restrictions are in the Orange County Comprehensive Plan and what SFWMD imposes, not all of the 27,000 acres and whatever beyond that Disney may own, is developable. It would be ideal for Disney if the approximately 1/3 of the acreage purchased in 1966 that was set aside was wetlands and other land that due to structural issues was unbuildable, but that's probably not the case. Since our drinking water in Florida comes from groundwater via aquifers (there are several) and springs, we really don't want to build on every single square inch of land, or we impact the recharging of the aquifers and the natural filtering properties of the karst. Yeah, South Florida, now I'm REALLY looking at you - keep your hands off our water in North Florida. Sorry, that's a water thing issue only Floridians will understand.

Sorry for the long geology lesson - a decade at DEP does on occasion rear its ugly head... :)
My question was answered then. Thanks for the detail :). I guess I had a level of doubt due to the fact that I read an official statement (or what I thought was official) that said they had to knock down Horizons because of a sinkhole. Then they went and built an entirely new building on top of the same land. That created a little doubt in my as to what Disney claims is buildable or unbuildable land. It always comes off as justification for what some would describe as unfavorable changes.

LAKid53

Premium Member
My question was answered then. Thanks for the detail :). I guess I had a level of doubt due to the fact that I read an official statement (or what I thought was official) that said they had to knock down Horizons because of a sinkhole. Then they went and built an entirely new building on top of the same land. That created a little doubt in my as to what Disney claims is buildable or unbuildable land. It always comes off as justification for what some would describe as unfavorable changes.

Land development is a complicated thing in Florida. And in 2011, the Florida Legislature made major changes to the laws governing land use and development of and amendments to local comprehensive plans. Add to that lands that fall under federal regulations with regards to development, such as wetlands or the Everglades. I remember Bush's infamous definition of a wetland - a big hole with water in it, but it wasn't a pond or lake. Heck, geologists in Florida still argue over the definition....

ETA: If that was the case with the Horizon building, depending on the size of the sinkhole and the impact on groundwater, Disney may or may not have had to obtain an ERP or file a report with the FGS before filling and reconstruction of the building. Other than obtaining a permit to repair/fill a sinkhole if said action will impact groundwater sources, there's no state law requiring a geological survey or permit before filling and reconstruction a structure due to sinkhole damage on private property. However, the property insurance carrier may have some requirements.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I was referring more specifically to what the Universal designers refer to here as "squinching", that is, simulating false parralex to compensate for screen distortion caused by the viewer's change in angle with reference to a flat screen. The principle should be similar whether the or not the screen is in 3d

My error, then. Spider-man certainly uses viewer-motion-based parallax tech.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm just wondering if the ToT is staying the Hollywood Tower Hotel or Twilight Zone Tower of Terror until the End of the year. Or is the re-theming going to happen?

There is no current plan to re-theme DHS's ToT. Bob Chapek was asked if it was getting the GotG retheme and he said no.

This doesn't mean some other IP can't go there at some point, or Bob's successor changes things... but it does mean one shouldn't expect a re-theme for a few years at least, if ever.

PizzaPlanet

The interesting thing is that it would be impossible to bring Mission: BREAKOUT! over to DHS without some major rethinking of the concept. Mission: BREAKOUT! takes advantage of the fact that the hallway and mirror scenes were in the drop shaft, and you are now basically dropping past them the entire ride. However, in the original the hallway scene is in a different shaft, and there are no "show scenes" in the drop shafts aside from the opening doors.

Tom Morrow

The interesting thing is that it would be impossible to bring Mission: BREAKOUT! over to DHS without some major rethinking of the concept. Mission: BREAKOUT! takes advantage of the fact that the hallway and mirror scenes were in the drop shaft, and you are now basically dropping past them the entire ride. However, in the original the hallway scene is in a different shaft, and there are no "show scenes" in the drop shafts aside from the opening doors.
Excellent point, and one I don't think most people are considering. They would have to make serious modifications to the building to include any decent scenes in the drop shaft.

barkerbird

I wouldn't bank on ToT going away anytime soon. I mean, Dinosaur and Indy are the same ride. They might just leave things as they are, which I wouldn't mind. I was highly skeptical of Guardians, but it looks pretty cool as a finished product.

I like the fact that rides are different in each park (Pirates, Mansion, Dinosaur/Indy, and Jurassic Park at Universal IOA).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom