Closing of Tower of Terror (WDW)

Dunston

Original Poster
Welcome. Just to cover my back I'll say there's no current plans. As always things can change but as of yesterday there are no plans for a Guardians overlay.

I too hope the TZ theme stays. It's a huge part of the experience, one that is greater than the sum of it's parts.
Glad to hear that what I have heard is not the case, at least not fully.

KINGLOUIS1993

Welcome. Just to cover my back I'll say there's no current plans. As always things can change but as of yesterday there are no plans for a Guardians overlay.

I too hope the TZ theme stays. It's a huge part of the experience, one that is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Couldn't have put it better myself!

dgp602

Really glad that hear that a total re-theme is not happening. Thank you very much for clarifying this, Martin.

I certainly also hope they don't lose the TZ IP, though. Tower of Terror is so successful because of its HOLISTIC impact, and that includes the brilliant use of the TZ IP. Removing that would change the overall, holistic experience in ways that can't even be predicted. Considering how well it works as a whole right now, it's hardly wise for them to do such an "experiment."
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the "TZ IP"?

Also, considering that the backside of ToT is themed so that when seen from EPCOT if 'fits' in with Morocco, how would an overlay work with that?

Bairstow

I have it on good authority...

4972977344_ed4cbca161_b.jpg

rnese

I have it on good authority (I cannot give up my source, but they are in the higher-ups of parks/hotel management) that the Tower of Terror in ORLANDO will be refurbished into a Guardians of the Galaxy Ride just as the one in Disneyland California will be. They have told me to "ride it while you can, because it won't be there next summer." I know people may not believe me, but I heard it straight from the horse's mouth and feel the need to share this upsetting news. I cannot share the identity of my source, for the sake of the security of their position.
Insane.jpg

rnese

I have it on good authority (I cannot give up my source, but they are in the higher-ups of parks/hotel management) that the Tower of Terror in ORLANDO will be refurbished into a Guardians of the Galaxy Ride just as the one in Disneyland California will be. They have told me to "ride it while you can, because it won't be there next summer." I know people may not believe me, but I heard it straight from the horse's mouth and feel the need to share this upsetting news. I cannot share the identity of my source, for the sake of the security of their position.
throneoflies.jpg

IMFearless

ToT is not only one of the top 10 rides at Walt Disney World, it is in the top 10 rides in the whole world.

The ride has presence, setting, music, story, excitement, thrill, a good throughput, it's not too short, it is well placed in the park in terms of location, it's well lit throughout, extremely detailed.

I would imagine it's only real weakness is it's difficulty to maintain (something not really fixable with an overlay)

To alter ToT would be nothing short of a disgrace. For me it is in the untouchable list. On the West Coast, not so much.

21stamps

ToT is not only one of the top 10 rides at Walt Disney World, it is in the top 10 rides in the whole world.

The ride has presence, setting, music, story, excitement, thrill, a good throughput, it's not too short, it is well placed in the park in terms of location, it's well lit throughout, extremely detailed.

I would imagine it's only real weakness is it's difficulty to maintain (something not really fixable with an overlay)

To alter ToT would be nothing short of a disgrace. For me it is in the untouchable list. On the West Coast, not so much.

I love ToT, mostly because of the theme. I don't know about going so far as saying it's one of the top 10 rides in the "whole world", or even in the country. I'd say top 3 at Disney World though.

MotherOfBirds

I like TZ but I don't think it's essential to the ride. They could easily rework it and it would still be great. Japan's ToT wouldn't fit quite right but you could combine the two. An eccentric Hollywood director takes an (cursed) artifact from his recent exotic film location and ends up getting the hotel cursed in the process.

Last edited:

Speedy71

6meqk.gif

Seabasealpha1

I'd still rather it be ToT instead of UoE. Mostly because I don't want to see Epcot as a whole screwed up too much further with the IP mess...

However...what would be even better is if they would just build a new attraction in a new spot and leave it at that...you can't tell me there aren't enough ideas in a drawer somewhere that would work for the UoE building or the WoL building...or (God forbid) ToT... in fact, I'd almost take Gaurdians over the Toy Story stuff that's about to happen...but only because I feel like they're going wholesale cheese on it...

Gelatoni

I'd still rather it be ToT instead of UoE. Mostly because I don't want to see Epcot as a whole screwed up too much further with the IP mess...

However...what would be even better is if they would just build a new attraction in a new spot and leave it at that...you can't tell me there aren't enough ideas in a drawer somewhere that would work for the UoE building or the WoL building...or (God forbid) ToT... in fact, I'd almost take Gaurdians over the Toy Story stuff that's about to happen...but only because I feel like they're going wholesale cheese on it...

I see no situation where I'd sacrifice ToT for UoE

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom