closing of disney stores this probably doesnt go here but..

alicenwondrland

Original Poster
i spoke with a woman today who was a disney Dm in the past three months she was trying to recruit me to a new company
she said she left Disney after 6 years because they told her the stores would be closing
all of them within the next year and they are laying off people and givign out severances
i thought someone was going to buy them out and keep running them but she said they are closing
anyone know anything?

valmont

The store down here closed exactly one year ago. I still mourn whenever I pass to the now empty Disney Store site in the mall :(

mkepcotmgmak

i know! I WAS SO SHOCKED - the mall that i drive 2 hours to that has a disney store CLOSED IT! - i was so shocked - it couldn't have been more than 2 months ago! i thought they were refurb. the store - but the mall said it was closed for good - i was SO upset!

disney1981

Our city had two Disney stores. One closed over a year ago. The other one we were in last week looks good and always has peoplw in it.

egionet

I worked at Rainforest Cafe, which is in a mall, in CT over the summer, and the Disney Store in our mall had all shut. We were told to tell guests the store was being refurbished (since guests assume that RFC is owned by Disney, which we are not). Even though we were told to say that it was not permenantly closed, the RFC GM told us it wasn't opening again. And most that have closed are also not opening again. I know it's depressing!

Being a cast member at my local disney store we have been told that 11 investment firms were looking at buying the stores and had plans to keep them open.

tigsmom

Originally posted by egionet
I worked at Rainforest Cafe, which is in a mall, in CT

Our local RFC closed over a year ago and I don't understand why: it was always crowded with lines of people waiting to get in. They also had a very big school program that was used almost daily. :confused:

COProgressFan

I worked at Rainforest Cafe, which is in a mall, in CT over the summer, and the Disney Store in our mall had all shut. ... Even though we were told to say that it was not permenantly closed, the RFC GM told us it wasn't opening again. And most that have closed are also not opening again. I know it's depressing!

egionet -

the Disney Store at the Westfarms Mall in CT has reopened after a refurb. It's not that nice though, its just a relatively generic store that seems to sell mostly crap as the disney stores do these days. It didn't even seem like they had that much plush in there either (you used to be able to find pretty much any character). Right now its filled with Halloween costumes - not too exciting.

CoP

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
My Wife and I are former castmembers with TDS here in Austin. We had 3 stores at 3 different malls, one of which has since closed. In the time since we left the stores, all but a couple of people, including (1) store mgr. and our district mgr. have moved on to other companies. And my store mgr., the one that has since moved on, had been with Disney nearly 10 years. And I know she was a "lifer". Believe me, I think there is a lot of truth to, if nothing else, Disney continuing to downsize the # of stores under their umbrella. I know that there are rumors out there of possible buyers, etc. But until that happens, that's all they are. Rumors.

I would tell you that the reason given to us at the time for the (1) closure here was that the Mall had Nordstrums picked to take over the lease. They subsequently tripled our lease rate. And I can't blame Disney for saying, Thanks, but no thanks.

And I love the Company. We're both hoping to work for them again in Orlando. I really don't like to see the stores going away.
I believe that with the right leadership that the stores could once again flourish. But they have become too single-minded in purpose and product. I believe in the concept and in the Company. I only hope that there is a renewed spirit and chance given to the stores.

cymbaldiva

I really do mourn the passing of the Disney Stores, but to me they've been pretty much gone for awhile now anyway... :(

Remember when they used to carry collectables, watches, and lots of great adult clothing? Now the only thing the DS has to offer for me is the occasional antenna topper. *sigh*

egionet

Originally posted by tigsmom
Our local RFC closed over a year ago and I don't understand why: it was always crowded with lines of people waiting to get in. They also had a very big school program that was used almost daily. :confused:

Your RFC was closed due to the fact that in 2002, RFC was purchased by a company called Landry's. They own many sea food restaurants including Joe's Crab Shack, The Crab House, Landry's Seafood, and now RFC. It was originally a publically owned company, but when Landry's took over, they decided to change some units and close other ones. I really don't know the details of why they closed. We were told the closed the units that were not doing as well as the others. I'm really sorry to hear that it was closed. I'm sure Landry's would be willing to hear any comments and/or complaints on the situation.

egionet

Originally posted by COProgressFan
egionet -

the Disney Store at the Westfarms Mall in CT has reopened after a refurb. It's not that nice though, its just a relatively generic store that seems to sell mostly crap as the disney stores do these days. It didn't even seem like they had that much plush in there either (you used to be able to find pretty much any character). Right now its filled with Halloween costumes - not too exciting.

CoP

I'm glad to hear they reopened, even if it is just crap. Because we were definitely told it wasn't re-opening. I used to hate going into work and not seeing the Disney Store upstairs from RFC.

Punkss

I have one near me in Kingston, Surrey UK and that is still going strong, any news on whether the UK shops will close?

wdwhoneymooner

Not knowing the financial situation regarding RFC, let me share with you what I do know about the food service business: The margins aren't really all that high. The meals/entrees served are not what most restaurants bank on for much profit, it's from beverages - sodas, beers, liquor, etc. And in regards to places like RFC, Planet Hollywood, HardRock which have additional overhead/sunk costs for the decor selling souvenirs is vital in making any $. Knowing some folks who were Operations Managers in the food industry, they can tell you how much they sweat the little stuff in keeping costs down.

tigsmom

Your RFC was closed due to the fact that in 2002, RFC was purchased by a company called Landry's. They own many sea food restaurants including Joe's Crab Shack, The Crab House, Landry's Seafood, and now RFC. It was originally a publically owned company, but when Landry's took over, they decided to change some units and close other ones. I really don't know the details of why they closed. We were told the closed the units that were not doing as well as the others. I'm really sorry to hear that it was closed. I'm sure Landry's would be willing to hear any comments and/or complaints on the situation.

We don't have any of the other restaurants here that you mentioned, but there is a Legal Seafood in the mall so maybe thats it. This palce was always full so it still seems a mystery to me. People are still looking for it.(they put a Cheescake Factory in its place)

kammybug

I know this is a pretty dumb question but since they seem to be doing away with the stores do you think they'll do anything with the catalog? :confused:

DisneyJedi

Ours has been closed since July for refurb. I wish they would open the dang store already. I miss the bonuses with the DVD pre-orders.

agdbeanie

The one here in Tallahassee closed a couple of months ago. I was sad b/c I felt a little like I was at Disney World when I was there b/c they had animatronics and lots of cool stuff to decorate the store with. I never really bought anything there b/c the merchandise wasn't all that great. I remember when the store first opened and they had the watches etc. and it was great, but lately they were just carrying crap. Even when they were going out of business, I thought I'd get a good deal on a few good items, but no! They shipped all the good stuff off to "other stores" and left only the crap to sell at expensive clearance. There was one thing I wanted, a Princesses quilt, but it was marked from $300 to $150. Still way to expensive! They've quickly replaced the store with Casual Corner, so at least I don't have to look at the empty store front.

egionet

We don't have any of the other restaurants here that you mentioned, but there is a Legal Seafood in the mall so maybe thats it. This palce was always full so it still seems a mystery to me. People are still looking for it.(they put a Cheescake Factory in its place)

Unfortunately Landry's did not replace the RFC with another one of their restaurants. For you in NY, the closest Landry's restaurant is The Chart House in Dobbs Ferry. But if you want good seafood while you're in WDW, there is a Crab House in the Crossroads area (you can see if from I-4). As well as a Landry's Seafood on the corner of the road that the Mary, Queen of the Universe Shrine. There is also a Joe's Crab Shack nearby, but I'm not sure where.

Legal Seafood is not owned by Landry's, but they, in my opinion, have the best seafood ever!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom